Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
This may be the first of several shorter updates today, stay tuned.

Screw Leon, I Need Pets

So, I don’t think I ever mentioned Venti’s Charm after I got it, because I forgot at the time that it was going to be relevant.

When she sent me off to Yokmir Forest, Ventuswill gave me an accessory made from some of her feathers, Venti’s charm. It’s pretty much the top tier defensive accessory until fairly recently. I could make a bracelet or something and stack more defense and magic defense on it, but I’d have to spend a lot of time scavenging monster drops.

So why is this suddenly relevant?

Great, now there are wild animals in my room. This wouldn’t happen if this castle had some loving doors.

A Chipsqueek...? How did it get in...? What can I do? ...How can I help Venti...?

You’re seriously asking the small furry critter for advice?

And then the small furry critter headbutted the prince. And picked his pocket.

H-huh...? Hey...! Venti's charm?! G-give it back!

The chipsqueak in fact did not just give back it’s stolen trinket, but instead ran off.

Thankfully I had this stylish belt handy. More defense, less magic defense.

And no, that shield I’m wearing isn’t doing anything for me at all, I just don’t like leaving equipment slots empty, I’m kooky like that.

Well, I could go advance the plot by chasing the Chipsqueak out of town… or I could build another monster barn.

Monster Barn it is! I decided to go with a Castlevania theme for barns on this field.

But why would I want another barn?

Because this rear end in a top hat wants me to capture and enslave more monsters. Truly Arthur is the cruelest tyrant in the royal family.

Obsidian Mansion seriously just backs up to the town. I can’t make any sense of the geography involved here.

But I’m willing to put aside making sense of things since the game finally decided to give me a Cure spell in that chest. Cure does exactly what it sounds like. It can hit party members, but they have to be pretty close to Art. Better spells will be able to hit party members further away, in addition to healing more. But the main advantage is that Cure can be cast instantly, whereas potions and food need time to drink or eat, and if you get hit it interrupts the animation and you don’t get healed.

Decided to add Marionetta to my farm list. Actually get to show off her Art in the box trick.

And her waterfall of dolls.

And her laser.

Even got her telekinesis attack.

Cursed dolls are pretty nice for upgrading items at this point, they offer defense, magic defense, and some status resistances, but I’m after something much more rare. Much, much more.

I can’t remember who said it, but somebody wanted me to capture a Ghost Ray. I decided that was a good idea, and it was the whole reason for the Castlevania themed barn.

What do you do when the grim reaper yourself is your servant?

Sadly, I don’t have a clock tower to lock him in. But that makes five monsters, and Arthur gave me a lovely monster buffing spell as a reward.

And then Art got curious about the genitalia of an inanimate object.

What's wrong? You look like you want to ask me something.

Erm...are you...

What?

Don't ask me such a silly question!

Hahaha...

...J-just out of curiosity, though...

...?

Which one...would you like me to be?

I-I see. Then I don't mind...being a girl.

And upon that day the Art/Eliza ship was born. I think I draw the line at tsundere boxes though.

This also raises the question of who named Eliza in the first place. That’s another question that will go unsolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly I'm wondering how they even got into this situation in the first place. It sounds like divine dragons run out of runes to generate after a long time, so there's not actually a rune crisis, it's just that the guardians have been keeping Ventus alive long past her natural lifespan. Ventus was apparently out of the loop on the whole thing, so what did the guardians do, all get together and find an Earthmate and decide they should force Ventus to live forever? And so let's assume that we find some magic plot bullshit that lets us fix the rune problems and Ventus gets to keep living, what happens when she inevitably outlives everyone in the town? She says she tried not to be friends with people so no one would try to become a guardian ever again, but has she forgotten that people can die from other reasons than becoming guardians?

I've got a lot of questions for Rune Factory 4 :colbert:
The answer is always that people love Ventuswill way too damned much. To the point of not letting the natural cycle take its course. Even when she's insisting that she should be allowed to die.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Being a guardian seems like the opposite of dying though, if some of them are like 100+ years from the time they turned into a bossmob.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

let's assume that we find some magic plot bullshit that lets us fix the rune problems

Presumably the delivery that Art was making before he lost it.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Truthkeeper posted:

Hats are the only piece of armor that's visible on NPCs I equip them with. Which is why I'm able to use the Order symbol to take back all the hats in case I accidently make things too silly. But there are very few headpieces I actually like the look of on Art, so I mostly stick with jaunty caps. Because sorry Cloud, but nobody respects an RPG protagonist who runs around wearing a ribbon. (I swear half the headpieces in this game are ribbons and headbands, ).

Although I totally spent a whole dungeon wearing a pair of cat ears.

Turnip heads for everybody, except for Porcoline, he gets a pumpkin head because he deserves some class.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
If Art's object really would fix the Rune problem, then the people trying to stop him are probably from the Evil Empire...but if Dragons control the runes, and crops can't grow without them, pissing off the dragons by trying to destroy the Kingdom the Dragons are so keen on protecting seems incredibly retarded:

:downswords:"Hey, I've got an idea on how to conquer that kingdom! Let's piss off the immortal dragons who can kill our land's Runes, thus starving us to death in retribution! They'll never figure out that their only established enemy is trying to kill them!
:downs: :downs: :"gently caress yeah, boss, let's do this!"

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

thetruegentleman posted:

:downswords:"Hey, I've got an idea on how to conquer that kingdom! Let's piss off the immortal dragons who can kill our land's Runes, thus starving us to death in retribution! They'll never figure out that their only established enemy is trying to kill them!
:downs: :downs: :"gently caress yeah, boss, let's do this!"

Congratulations, you pretty much just summed up the plot of RF1.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

thetruegentleman posted:

If Art's object really would fix the Rune problem, then the people trying to stop him are probably from the Evil Empire...but if Dragons control the runes, and crops can't grow without them, pissing off the dragons by trying to destroy the Kingdom the Dragons are so keen on protecting seems incredibly retarded

Admittedly I haven't played any of the non-console Rune Factory games other than this one, so I have no idea how exactly how controlling the flow of runes or whatever works, but I THINK she only controls the runes of the kingdom in which she lives, and the town is at the center of the kingdom which is somehow important to the rune flow, which is why they can't just leave to an area with more runes because then the kingdom will die out. I know that seems awfully convenient that the limit of her power just so happens to be the border of the kingdom but maybe the political lines were drawn around the abilities of the dragons. Or maybe the writers didn't put that much thought into it.

Also, all this talk of Ventus dying caused us to overlook the REAL issues in this update: Doug's a loving racist

#dragonlivesmatter #yesalldragons

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

A Brief Interlude on Staves

Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up! See this?

This… is my boomstick! It’s a level 1 single shafted Ice Staff. Art’s Crafting N’ Stuff’s top of the line! You can find this in the forging department. That’s right, this sweet baby was made right here in Selphia.

Crafting mats are any stick or horn item and a Water Crystal. This one has a crystal from the water ruins and a horn from a beetle I killed in Yokmir Forest. That’s right, shop smart, shop…

Whoop, sorry, was thinking about Evil Dead. We’re actually here today to talk about staves. This is the weapon of choice for the type of player who wants to be a pure mage. They boost your magic attack, plus unleash magic when you swing them.

In the case of this staff, that means this little bubble attack. It’s quick, not very powerful, and has range similar to that of a hammer or axe. The difference is that staves can be charged up for better spells.

It’s just a poor man’s water laser, but it’s a start.

Now here is where things get interesting. Depending on how you upgrade a staff, these attacks can change. I could use an elemental crystal, which would change the staff’s element and thus it’s basic attacks.

Or I could use boss drops.

Ambrosia’s Thorn gives me Ambrosia’s sleep gas attack.

While Thunderbolt’s Lightning Mane gives me Thunderbolts lightning attack.

Which can be charged up even more for his big lightning spear.

And his wider arc lightning attack.

There are some that are really good choices, some not so good. The downside to these upgrades is that boss attacks take a long time to charge up.

Sadly, party members equipped with staves won't bother to charge them up for attacks, and so can't do any of these.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hell yes, I love magic. I got INCREDIBLY lucky and found Water Laser in a chest drop in the water temple and ended up demolishing my way through a good portion of the first arc of the game with it. Unfortunately, I hit a major wall and had to switch out of necessity when I found a weapon able to carry me through the dungeon I was struggling through.

Actually, I've been having loads of trouble with damage in this game. I've had to do a reasonable amount of level grinding in almost every dungeon, starting with the one we're about to enter. I've been making gear with the best ores available where I'm at in the game, and upgrading it with the best components I can find, but I'm still struggling. In the fight against the boss of Maya Road, I was dealing 23 damage a hit. Is there a way to transfer the bonus stats you forge onto a weapons, or is this more of me being a shitter and rushing through the story, so my stats are low because of my general skill levels? I finished the first arc before the end of the first Summer

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Hell yes, I love magic. I got INCREDIBLY lucky and found Water Laser in a chest drop in the water temple and ended up demolishing my way through a good portion of the first arc of the game with it. Unfortunately, I hit a major wall and had to switch out of necessity when I found a weapon able to carry me through the dungeon I was struggling through.

Water Laser is a set treasure in Water Ruins. I'm more of a fireball kind of guy, but to each their own.

Magic doesn't scale very well in Act 1, it's true.

quote:

Actually, I've been having loads of trouble with damage in this game. I've had to do a reasonable amount of level grinding in almost every dungeon, starting with the one we're about to enter. I've been making gear with the best ores available where I'm at in the game, and upgrading it with the best components I can find, but I'm still struggling. In the fight against the boss of Maya Road, I was dealing 23 damage a hit. Is there a way to transfer the bonus stats you forge onto a weapons, or is this more of me being a shitter and rushing through the story, so my stats are low because of my general skill levels? I finished the first arc before the end of the first Summer

That dungeon in general is a serious pain in the rear end. Fiergaenger is just made to piss people off, but he's also representative of what the rest of the game is going to throw at you. It's best to be at a good level, have levelup up party members with you (I always recommend humans over monsters, but monsters are doable), and have the best equipment you can get your hands on. It certainly doesn't help that there are very few decent items for upgrading Magic Attack on your gear at this point.

I believe that particular boss may be weak to water, so a water elemental staff or a higher level water spell like Parallel Laser (nice of him to be such a huge target, makes him easier to hit) should help. If you got the free fairy companion from the previous dungeon, that could also help, the monsters the game gives you tend to be a little overleveled.

Having your skills leveled up does help, low skills means low HP and RP, less status resistance, less damage, less defense, an all around tougher time. It never hurts to spend a few weeks tending the farm and gathering rune orbs and runeys.

Also, if Leon has offered to start leveling up spells for you, do it as much as you can afford.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You can't transfer stat bonuses from old equipment to a new*, so yeah you're expected to periodically trash and remake everything. Um, make sure you have good stat bonuses on your armour as well, and don't forget that certain weapon types don't let you get stats from shields. If you're really stuck focus on town/farm duties for a few months, when I won one of the festivals the prize I got was a spear with 3x the attack power of my best weapon.

*I'm almost absolutely certain but crafting in this game is bull so, caveat. Also you can transfer a weapon's 'base attributes' and its weapon category with a Light Stone if you want to get up to niche nonsense. Also boots and accessories can transfer certain attributes but again gently caress crafting. I am sure I have spent at least 20 hours of this game angrily blacksmithing.

Edit: I know all of my posts are complaining but I do actually like this game. I just think crafting is bullshit.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 28, 2016

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alright, good advice. I actually managed to beat the boss by riding my level 100, 16,000 health Beetle and pressing B angrily until it died, but now I think I'm going to focus primarily on getting some gear before attempting the next dungeon. I've also been stacking defense on everything but my weapon, so maybe I need to add damage bonuses onto my armor and the like. Unfortunately, I haven't really been taking many of the villagers on dungeon runs with me, but I'll put off leveling them for a while I think

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Alright, good advice. I actually managed to beat the boss by riding my level 100, 16,000 health Beetle and pressing B angrily until it died

Okay, not gonna lie, that's exactly how I did it my first time through.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

:drat:

could you actually post your stats before some of the more rear end in a top hat bosses? At this point I'm just curious how negligent of normal game progression I've been.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

:drat:

could you actually post your stats before some of the more rear end in a top hat bosses? At this point I'm just curious how negligent of normal game progression I've been.

Sure I'll start doing that, although I'm sitting on completed gameplay until the end of Act 1. But as of Act 2, I'll be on it.

Brerose
Jun 10, 2016
Now that all the bacherlorettes are introduced, when do you think marriage voting will begin?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I was going to wait until I actually reached the point where I got Dolce's cutscene, but that was a little further ahead. So let's just sum up our six lovely ladies.

Clorica, with the impressive ability to fall asleep standing up. She's a genuinely good person, kind and helpful without an ounce of ill will in her. Not as good in combat as the other girls, but she can hold her own. And she's the only bachelorette who can cast status curing spells.

Forte, the lady of steel. Good fighter, good friend, good sister. She does her best to defend the town! Which totally needs a human protector! Yeah, who the hell knows why her position exists? But she does her best by this town. She's the best physical fighter among the girls, absolutely.

Margaret is the sweetest and friendliest person in town, and actively tries to make the town a better place. Frighteningly, at times. And she provides good magical backup, as well as being the best healer in the game. Also, she's a hot elf chick, and that's alright by me.

Xiao Pai is interesting. There are probably guys into the adorably clumsy thing, but it's not my thing, but her determination in the face of it is admirable, and she makes me laugh. She's devastating in combat with an axe, when she can stay standing. Not because she's clumsy, just has low HP.

Amber is a child. She's sweet and vivacious and adorable and probably supposed to actually be legal. Whatever the legal age in Japan is. And she can swing a mean hammer. Plus, being willing at her age to put her life aside to become an immortal monster to keep her best friend alive is pretty cool. And I'm pretty sure that marrying her in this game gets you put on some kind of watchlist in real life.

Dolce is calm and cool. Kuudere I think is the goofy anime term here. She doesn't like to open up to anybody, but underneath that icy exterior beats a vibrant and friendly heart. She has the same coolness points as Amber for putting her life aside to save Venti. Maybe moreso, she's the only one who ever mentions having parents that she had to leave behind. In combat she's the most unique, since she uses Pico as a weapon an addition to casting spells. Also, also a hot elf chick, which is still alright by me.

Go ahead and pick any girl you like. I can date any of them, I can theoretically date all of them, but only the girl with the most votes shall be Art's wife and bear his child. Voting will end when I finish posting Act 1.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Couldn't decide between Clorica and Forte, but a coin-flip solved that problem.

e: changed vote

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 29, 2016

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Are we opening marriage voting now? Or are you planning on waiting till we see some more of all the ladies first?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm voting Margaret because
1) She's pretty great
2) Porcoline De Saints Coquille is the best father-in-law
3) Definitely not underage
4) If she's your healer, that frees you up for more killing power

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

I'm voting Margaret because
1) She's pretty great
2) Porcoline De Saints Coquille is the best father-in-law
3) Definitely not underage
4) If she's your healer, that frees you up for more killing power

I didn't really think about their combat skills, but Clorica heals status ailments, those things you get and might be too lazy to heal yourself. So a natural extension of her job as a butler.

Margaret is also :ocelot:, though maybe a bit too much of a worrywart.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Margaret

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Forte

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I already have forte in my game, so lets go with... Hm...

Margaret doesn't really respect personal space, I may as well throw a pity vote for Xiao Pai

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Forte. Anyone who can hold their own in combat while wearing a visor instead of an actual helmet is alright by me.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Margaret's great, as long as you don't mind waiting until the heat death of the universe to get married. Voting Dolce.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I seem to recall Margaret having the least annoying 'I'm so quirky' personality, so let's go with her.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Amber

I'm curious how the gently caress that dialogue is supposed to work, and I'm not going on a watchlist to sate that

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Margaret

Marry into money. Who needs a farm when you've got that backup? Also she's related to Porcoline and I think that guy rules.

Sarpsa
Nov 17, 2012
Why would you even consider anyone else than Dolce?

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
Dolce is obviously the correct choice.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Margaret won two coin flips to decide from three ladies.

Truthkeeper posted:

That mustn't happen. I can't leave the town of Selphia.

Why...?

Little spot in the plot dump update where Venti is talking to herself.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Forte, to justify her staying in the town when her job is meaningless.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint
Forte has been our go-to party member so far, might as well marry her.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
Dolce

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
dolce is best girl and i'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'll toss in a vote for Dolce since I'm not gonna marry her in my game but still want to bless her with the gift of character development

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'd vote for Forte but that visor thing still freaks me out (is it riveted to her skull?), so it's Margaret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Screw Leon, I’m Too Busy Chasing Animals

I popped back into the Mansion and tamed a panther. He lives in the Castlevania barn for now, but there’s a distinct lack of appropriate name choices from Castlevania for a big cat, so I ended up moving him later. He makes a good mount, because I just felt silly riding Zead around.

Also, a gate has formed at the entrance to Leon Karnak. It’s completely invulnerable to all my attacks, but also isn’t doing anything. Odd, but probably harmless.

I got clipped by a thrown knife and one-shotted half a second after trying to climb the Karnak, so no preview of that yet.

I’m not seriously giving these hats to everybody, it was just a coincidence. But in the meantime, the red hat club is investigating this mysterious chipsqueak. Which has led me back to Yokmir Forest.

Alright,

nothing

can possibly

go wrong

now?

No. No she does not.

You jumped off a cliff and didn't have a dragon god king to land on this time.

Oh God, please tell me you didn’t lose your memory again Art.

No good. There's no way to climb up. If I go farther in, though, I guess maybe I can track down that Chipsqueek... I can always use Escape to go back if things get dangerous.

Good thing I have magic, having to suffer consequences for Art’s stupid decisions would suck.

If she used rope to get down here, there would be a way to climb back up. But Forte doesn’t always think ahead, so I get the feeling she probably just jumped down a few seconds after Art did.

A little banged up, but not much worse for the wear.

And my panther jumped down after her.

The chests gave me a little money and a bowl of porridge. The rocks are notable for containing the next tier of gems, emeralds. I don’t think I mentioned gems much, because they aren’t very relevant. Gems increase magic defense (although it increases slower compared to defense increases in various tiers of metal ore) when used in upgrades, and most staff recipes include at least one. They’re also used for making elemental resistance accessories.

Now, did I bother exploring the whole cave and chasing down that chipsqueak?

Hell no! This stack of Para-gone I found in a chest reminded me that the next level of this place is full of bees that can paralyze me (leaving me unable to move faster than walking speed), and I decided to put it off until I get around to manufacturing or buying more Para-Gone. Although I very rarely need to buy my own medicine anymore, I can make a better variety of medicines than Jones sells, and the ingredients are usually cheaper to buy even if I don’t grow them myself.

Besides, I needed to rest up for a very important event the next day.

Results will be announced between 17 and 18 hundred hours.
If you're late, you will be disqualified, so please remember to be on time. The one who catches the biggest fish before the announcement of the results will be the winner.

Now, this is one of those times when it would have been better to wait before advancing the plot.

Fishing contests are easy at first, but Dylas tends to skew the curve. A lot. I’m going to have to work my rear end off to beat the horseman.

There’s no real trick to this one. Have a high fishing skill, have the best fishing pole you can craft, and catch a lot of fish. The results?

I told you, he throws off the curve. Also, my fishing skill was kinda terrible at this point. I don’t care for fishing.

You’re being praised for something you put all your freetime into. I believe the proper response is to be proud. Or you can admit that you cheated and that Art is clearly the real winner.

Next year though. Next year.

Besides, my second place chest netted me this pair of boots. I can’t even make these yet because I don’t have access to silver.

I may have overdone it on the pharmaceuticals afterward though.

And Jones probably charged me extra for muscling in on his turf.

While I was in the neighborhood, I accepted a quest from Jones to give him iron. Which I had in my pocket. And he gave me Fairy Dust, a useful upgrade ingredient that increases Magic Attack.

She’s right, ghosts can be scary or annoying, but very rarely both.

I also took this chance to upgrade my ability slots. Now I can equip four spells or rune abilities. I usually keep Cure and one attack spell or rune ability on X/Y, and a status curing spell and a second attack spell on R+X/R+Y.

And another farm plot. This gets prohibitively expensive over time. The next one costs a quarter million.

I called this one the Light farm, and at least one barn will get filled with Megaman named monsters. Blame the guy several pages back who suggested I name a wolf Treble.

Believe it or not, it will be the materials more than the money keeping me from building this one for a while.

If I had crops I cared about, I might be concerned. But I don’t care about the crap I currently have planted, and the boulders and stumps dropped by the typhoon will come in handy.

I took this opportunity to decide I wanted an all human party. Or at least all humanoid, given that Margaret is an elf.

A very low level elf with no equipment to speak of, but that’s easily fixed.

Also, the 3d models in the menu creep me the gently caress out. They spin around as you move the 3ds, and the slightest twitch of your wrist sometimes sends them wildly out of control.

Now then, about the rest of that dungeon?

I think the program I use for deduplication has been eating my screenshots, because I’m missing a good chunk of this dungeon. I need to start keeping backups.

But I found the chipsqueak.

Vengeance is mine motherfucker!

Yep, any time now!

Art, you are bad at this.

It seemed to be interested in this stone... If I take it, I might be able to catch the little rascal...

Hmm, interesting looking little bauble. Doesn’t look familiar at all.

I’d totally remember having seen something like this before, right?

Nah, probably just some trash or something. Nuclear waste glows like that, I bet it’s nuclear waste.

Margaret has her own special music attack, even though I took away her harp and gave her a staff.

The game is trying to get fancy by throwing elemental gates at me. Elemental gates work exactly like regular gates, except they absorb their specified element, earth in the case of this gate. If I was doing a magic playthrough and only using earth spells, I’d be helpless here.

But I’m punching things, and physical resist gates are fairly uncommon right now. That statement is going to come back to bite me soon.

That chest got me a Sonic Wind spell. I don’t care for wind spells, they fly around and are hard to hit things with. But they’re long range and pierce through obstacles, so sometimes they’re pretty handy.

In addition to emeralds, I can also get wind crystals from mining in here. They add magic defense and change weapon element to wind when used in crafting. I can use it to make a staff that isn’t as powerful as the ice staff I made earlier and gave to Margaret.

Wouldn’t have this problem if I just took my monster slaves out with me. But monsters don’t cast healing spells.

I chased it across three floors, where’s left to go from here?

For those of you not paying attention, this is the last room of Yokmir Forest, right before the butterfly boss. The Chipsqueak just ran into the boss room.

Oh come on, it’s just Ambrosia. We literally have over 50 levels on her and have had her on farm for over a month.

That isn’t Ambrosia. That’s Dead Tree. Which I failed to get any shots of the fight, I’ll try to provide some later. Most of his attacks involve throwing apples across the screen.

Now come here.

Not pictured: the chipsqueak headbutted him again.

Wh-what?

Wow... The forest is overflowing with runeys! M-maybe this can save Venti!

Wow Art. Nothing gets past you.

Why...?

If you can’t see it, because it’s kind of a small picture, the chipsqueak is fading away.

Huh. You know, I think Venti has more friends than she thought she did.

All right. I'll let Venti know. ...Thank you.

What smells like dwarf all of a sudden?

Just answer me! Did you find the Rune Sphere?! I can feel its energy busting out all over the place... Is this it?! Didn't know that a single object could hold this much energy... So this is the Rune Sphere...

Rune...Sphere...?

Is that some kind of sphere? Maybe one that makes runes? Help me out here.

I-I thought you got your memory back!

Doug... do you know something?

By using the Rune Sphere...we might be able to help Venti!

Don't be dumb. There's no way.

I've never seen so many runes. It's just overflowing...! With this... With this Rune Sphere, we should be able to save Venti!

...Give it up.

...! You don't understand anything at all! You don't know the first thing about her! That's why you're saying stupid stuff about finding a way to save her life!

Uh. Well. poo poo. Well, I’m sure your father was a total prick who had it coming.

What...?

It's the truth! I wasn't killed because...I happened to be out of town... but Native Dragons are evil beings!

Native Dragons are a group containing Fiersome and Aquaticus, so he’s not necessarily wrong. If half of a group is made up of destructive assholes, can you call the whole group evil?

That's not...!

Even now... she must be lying to you and everyone else in town. I'm sure the Guardians were sealed by Venti herself... because they saw her for what she really was. A monster.

I’m pretty sure she would just eat them.

I am calm!

Venti was the one who asked me to release the Guardians. If what you said is true, why would she specifically request something like that?

That's why she erased their memories! She just erased anything that might interfere with her plans.

But she said it's so that they'll never be Guardians again...

As we’ll later discover, Doug is a gullible moron who is perfectly capable of believing cockamamie excuses.

...Is that really what you think, even after seeing Venti now?

...!

Even with a battered body... She's sacrificing herself in order to help everyone else.

It's a lie. She's got to be faking it.

And yet, she's heart-broken when thinking about the friends who saved her... She even decided to keep a distance between herself and everyone else... so that the same tragedy wouldn't happen again. Do you honestly think that... someone as sweet as Venti, with all her weaknesses and all her strengths... could really do such a thing?

I... There's no way I'm wrong. My home is gone because of her. That's why...since I was a kid... I've lived solely for revenge! And now... you're telling me...that I'm off my rocker? So what...would you suggest... I do...?

Doug…

... There are four Rune Spheres.

Huh...?!

Don't get me wrong! I'm...declaring war here... See, Art... If you intend to save her, no matter what... I'll find all of the other Rune Spheres before you do... and I'll stop you!

Doug!!

It doesn’t actually matter which choice you make here. But which is the better decision? To believe wholeheartedly in your friend, or to seek the truth, no matter how troubling it may be?

...That's right. First of all, I have to find the other Rune Spheres. If Doug was telling the truth, there are three left. ...I just have to figure out where they are.

If you say you have no idea, Art thinks he should ask everybody in town. But of course, he does have an idea, because I posted a screenshot about it a while back.

All right. I'll start off by checking all the places I have in mind.

Venti’s Charm got a serious upgrade. It’s going to be difficult for me to replace this for the rest of Act 1.

Also, the game says these are cat ears. I say they look loving ridiculous and I miss my hat.

NEXT TIME:
Rune spheres are everywhere. Luckily, that means I get more map areas to explore. Unluckily, this is where the difficulty finally starts ramping up. Kinda feel bad about leaving Leon high and dry, but hey, I've got poo poo to do.

MARRIAGE POLL ONGOING

If you missed me saying so, voting is open on which lucky lady Art is going to marry. Although I retain the right to string them all along for a while, because Art’s kind of a dick like that.

These are our current numbers.

Amber 1
Clorica 1
Dolce 6
Forte 4
Margaret 6
Xiao Pai 1

Margaret took an early lead, but Dolce has caught up, and Forte isn’t far behind. The other girls are bringing up the rear, but it wouldn’t take much to put any of them ahead. Voting stops when Act 1 ends, and we’ve got a few updates ahead before that happens, including one more full sized dungeon. And of course, my tendency to go off-plot for a while in favor of running a successful agricultural empire.

• Locked thread