Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Jesus christ, I just remembered how terrible EU3 was compared to 4. Remember the minting slider and paying for tech with gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
itt people rewrite history to pretend ck2 was as bad as stellaris

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Eu4 was generally well received and the only detractors at launched screamed "monarch mana" or some bogus poo poo

That wasn't the only thing, there were a ton of stuff people were upset about in EU4
Heck there were also a ton of stuff people complained about in CK2, I remember the laws had a bunch of threads, heck was even one asking for Skåne to be its own kingdom on release(not me, promise). Lack of cadet branches was a major complaint which it is even today.

The difference between then in 2012 and now is that at most those threads got 2 pages, 4-6 pages if it was a huge thing. compare that today where anything will quickly go to 50 pages for whatever. There's a huge difference in both audience, scale and culture compared to 4 years ago.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 28, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

corn in the bible posted:

CK2 was pretty barebones like Stellaris yes.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

CK2 was pretty barebones like Stellaris yes.

EU4 really didn't have that much going on at launch either. Sure, the diplomacy was certainly ahead of where Stellaris is now, but Stellaris has way more features and depth than launch EU4 did in pretty much every other area. If you don't believe me, go ahead and roll back EU4 to the oldest available patch. See how find you fun it compared to the latest one. Now realize Stellaris is being compared to the current EU4 version when people say it's 'barebones'. It's pretty silly.

Stellaris suffers from us not fleshing out the midgame and diplomacy enough. This is the single biggest issue with the game, and something we're working to address, but it doesn't mean it's some kind of Paradox early access game with barely any features.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 28, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Wiz posted:

EU4 really didn't have that much going on at launch either. Sure, the diplomacy was certainly ahead of where Stellaris is now, but Stellaris has way more features and depth than launch EU4 did in pretty much every other area. If you don't believe me, go ahead and roll back EU4 to the oldest available patch. See how find you fun it compared to the latest one. Now realize Stellaris is being compared to the current EU4 version when people say it's 'barebones'. It's pretty silly.

Stellaris suffers from us not fleshing out the midgame and diplomacy enough. This is the single biggest issue with the game, and something we're working to address, but it doesn't mean it's some kind of Paradox early access game with barely any features.

Maybe it's just that all your games are released like they're in early access with barely any features? :smuggo:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Maybe it's just that all your games are released like they're in early access with barely any features? :smuggo:

Seems legit. Gonna pitch an early access survival game as our next title.

Honestly, the one I find most bizarre where people are complaining about dumbing down/lack of depth/cut content is HOI4. HOI4 has basically every feature worth anything from previous HOI titles and then some. What exactly was cut besides 3 hours of micromanaging OOBs at the start of any game? :psyduck:

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Was the V2 patch ever released for non-Steam versions of the game?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Wiz posted:

Honestly, the one I find most bizarre where people are complaining about dumbing down/lack of depth/cut content is HOI4. HOI4 has basically every feature worth anything from previous HOI titles and then some. What exactly was cut besides 3 hours of micromanaging OOBs at the start of any game? :psyduck:

So fuckin' agreed. I hope nobody gets convinced to exhume the festering corpse of OOB.

Wouldn't mind something slightly more involved than "put 300 divisions under field marshal, draw offensive line encompassing entire enemy country, set to blitz mode, allow superior industry and division design to win war for you", but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Wiz posted:

It is really amazing how incredibly important people seem to think the OoB system is considering that it added next to nothing and was only in HoI 3. 1+2 didn't have it, not even in the rudimentary shape it is in 4. I guess people just want to micromanage everything to hell and back, because for most wargamers that represents depth. Same applies to the battleplan system - its a great addition considering the level of play the game is going for, but people are so used to ordering every single goddamn division around that they just instinctively hate it.

Gort posted:

Wouldn't mind something slightly more involved than "put 300 divisions under field marshal, draw offensive line encompassing entire enemy country, set to blitz mode, allow superior industry and division design to win war for you", but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

I've found the game much more enjoyable when I don't use field marshals at all and only use 24 division armies (army groups, I guess).

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

HoI4 is the first HoI game I actually felt comfortable controlling both the military and economic aspects of the game, whereas before I either rammed poo poo into more poo poo hoping it would work or just set it to AI and hoped I made enough good poo poo it could ram into other poo poo.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Wiz posted:

Diplomatic map mode that shows the cores and claims of the selected country

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
A supply system that applies a limit on troop numbers dependent upon industrial capacity

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Separatist rebels

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Tag switching and arbitrary name and flag changes

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'll give you the mapmode and tag switching, but those are hella minor.

HOI3's supply system was utter garbage that had to be changed to arcade mode for the game to be playable, and separatist rebels amounted to nothing but pointless micro.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The OOB sucked but I felt the theater thing, although clunky and inflexible, to be able to handle wars better. Although this might not even be the case anymore since the last patch.

Your general just needs 40,000 more tactical bombers, no big deal.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Wiz posted:

The Fading Sun event which allowed a Chinese winning end to the Sino-Japanese War without having to invade the home islands.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Most Paradox games are about rewriting history so

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really can't remember what CK2 and EU4 was like at launch but I know I enjoyed them. I enjoyed Stellaris as well but not for very long and I haven't played it far enough to get to an endgame crisis despite 113 hours according to steam. It just isn't very fun past the first expansion stage.

I'm interested to see what CK3 or EU5 would look like though. Civilization 5 got a lot of poo poo on release for being Civ 4 without the expansions, and then it got the expansions which were pretty pricy. Unless Paradox commits to releasing a CK3 or EU5 with basically all previous features at launch they're going to get a lot of poo poo from the fanbase over it unless they are somehow incredibly revolutionary in ways we haven't thought about yet. And even then every DLC expansion is going to get the 'how does this compare to X DLC from before' treatment.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Wiz posted:

The ability to feel human.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

I really can't remember what CK2 and EU4 was like at launch but I know I enjoyed them. I enjoyed Stellaris as well but not for very long and I haven't played it far enough to get to an endgame crisis despite 113 hours according to steam. It just isn't very fun past the first expansion stage.

I'm interested to see what CK3 or EU5 would look like though. Civilization 5 got a lot of poo poo on release for being Civ 4 without the expansions, and then it got the expansions which were pretty pricy. Unless Paradox commits to releasing a CK3 or EU5 with basically all previous features at launch they're going to get a lot of poo poo from the fanbase over it unless they are somehow incredibly revolutionary in ways we haven't thought about yet. And even then every DLC expansion is going to get the 'how does this compare to X DLC from before' treatment.

Honestly is there even a reason to make a CK3 or EU5? CK2 and EU4 look so different from launch now you could argue they're not the same game. CK3/EU5 could just be one really big patch and DLC.

Would making a CK3 or EU5 their own separate game even be a gain?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
The act of moving to a new engine with new tools that enables you to do more whilst also dropping the bloat and rejuvenating the good features should never be underestimated.

It's also the best time to bring in new players your franchise who otherwise wont pick the game up due to the large collection of expansions and dlc, irrespective of how cheap it is sometimes.

I expect its not the next game series to come up, but after any new IP/Followup to Victoria or at a long shot, EU:Rome, CK2 should be the next to go through the sequel machine.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 29, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
East Vs. West: A Hearts of Iron 4 Game

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

axeil posted:

Honestly is there even a reason to make a CK3 or EU5? CK2 and EU4 look so different from launch now you could argue they're not the same game. CK3/EU5 could just be one really big patch and DLC.

Would making a CK3 or EU5 their own separate game even be a gain?
The sequential nature of changes, that is they don't seem to be working on coding a feature for expansion C until they finish expansion A then Expansion B, puts a limit on how far they can iterate because the dev cycle is meant to be a few months. A sequel is then a chance for major overhauls to major systems that will take more than a few months to program and test.

If they could have something simmering on the backburner while managing individual expansions then yeah, a sequel won't do much. But to have code in movement that way is a huge feat of project management compared to the coordination you can have if you can sit back and say OK we have 2 years to do nothing but sweeping changes.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
HoI4 is great. Sure the AI isn't stellar (heh) but it's good enough and it's been a great game for competitive multiplayer where you can knock out a game in a night or two. Really solid game, with plenty of content built in. The AI fixes should really make the game more challenging (there's some workshop mods that already deal with some of the bigger issues), and the next big challenge is dealing with the late game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I wish peace conferences ever ended up with anything other than one side being totally annexed, except MAYBE a puppeted capital.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Arrhythmia posted:

I wish peace conferences ever ended up with anything other than one side being totally annexed, except MAYBE a puppeted capital.

It doesn't really matter since you're going to quit at that point since there's no challenge left in the game.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

You should be able to reverse the decision another country made if you pay what they paid in points and then some, which will be given to the other party. It would make such scenarios a lot less likely.

Also there should be an option to transfer industry and the like for points so that minor countries don't have to spend their points at the end of the conference annexing some godforsaken province in the middle of nowhere because that was the only thing left (looking at you, Hungarian Ural mountains).

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
eu3 was good

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Gort posted:

It doesn't really matter since you're going to quit at that point since there's no challenge left in the game.

my friend, nothing but pretty borders matters

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Eve Online has a really cool character engine and CK3 should figure out what it is and use it.

Regarding HoI4 spergs angry about systems not there from HoI3: I really hope Paradox never listens to these guys. By actively not giving into their whiny demands, they made a fun game.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

Eve Online has a really cool character engine and CK3 should figure out what it is and use it.

Regarding HoI4 spergs angry about systems not there from HoI3: I really hope Paradox never listens to these guys. By actively not giving into their whiny demands, they made a fun game.

Wiz just accepted that some things removed were good, not sure why you're pretending it's all unreasonable stuff.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ExtraNoise posted:

Yeah HoI4 is a solid game and exactly as complex as it needs to be. The only stuff I really feel like is "missing" is stuff that I honestly don't know how they could implement in a fun way, anyway (espionage, mainly. A huge part of WW2, but also boring as poo poo in like 99% of strategy games).

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
And espionage is still there in a barebones sense anyway. Decryption/Encryption manages to do the vast majority of what you'd want an espionage system to do.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And espionage is still there in a barebones sense anyway. Decryption/Encryption manages to do the vast majority of what you'd want an espionage system to do.

It would be nice if radars revealed the fog of war

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Make a HoI4 spinoff that's nothing but running a wartime espionage service. I want a game that feels like reading the WWII sections of Cryptonomicon.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Enjoy posted:

It would be nice if radars revealed the fog of war

??? I thought they did though. Or at least i remeber the tool tips saying they did

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Agean90 posted:

??? I thought they did though. Or at least i remeber the tool tips saying they did

It was in a dev diary but I've never seen it in practice
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-39th-development-diary-8th-of-january-2016.901374/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I would like to think that the next game in each series would be more than just a cleanup/engine upgrade with minor features added or removed. Granted I haven't seen HoI4 so I don't know how big a leap that is from 3, but as great a game as EU4 is the leap from EU3 to EU4 (on release, of course) was a bit of a letdown. I'm not sure we'll get a leap as big as from the Europa games to the Clausewitz games for a few years still, but I'd like to hope that Victoria 3 and EU5 will be part of a leap of that magnitude.