Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
It's Toukiden 2. The armor sets they added for the new oni look Warriors as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Belzac posted:

It's Toukiden 2. The armor sets they added for the new oni look Warriors as hell.

Damnit, why you gotta play with our hopes and dreams like that, man.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Attack on Titan game is pretty good so far. Not particularly complex, but what's there is pretty fun to execute. I find it kinda goofy that the game stuck so heavily to show canon that Levi is pretty much always objectively the correct choice for what character to play given an option.

Speaking of that, I have to ask, since I'm not caught up to the manga. Did KT make up some of these weapons or are all of these canon? Because if they're all canon I need to read further to figure out in what context those giant green katanas are used.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Infinity Gaia posted:

The Attack on Titan game is pretty good so far. Not particularly complex, but what's there is pretty fun to execute. I find it kinda goofy that the game stuck so heavily to show canon that Levi is pretty much always objectively the correct choice for what character to play given an option.

Speaking of that, I have to ask, since I'm not caught up to the manga. Did KT make up some of these weapons or are all of these canon? Because if they're all canon I need to read further to figure out in what context those giant green katanas are used.

I've seen some of the sillier weapons in videos and yeah nothing like that in the comic. Although they do eventually develop different new silly weapons in the comic :ssh:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Attack on Titan game is pretty loving great, I say.
It feels like they took a Warriors game and mixed it together with Monster Hunter and I'm quite enjoying the result.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Has TK at least fixed the the issue with ports where if you're using an Xbox One controller it spins around constantly?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

Has TK at least fixed the the issue with ports where if you're using an Xbox One controller it spins around constantly?

I'm not sure but I've heard something about XBone controllers glitching, so maybe they haven't?

I've been using a 360 controller for all their games and I've never had any problems with those.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

I haven't played it yet but I'm hearing that like the One Piece Warriors 3 port, if you're using it then you might run into the bug where it will assume that you have right trigger pressed down at all times.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Srice posted:

I haven't played it yet but I'm hearing that like the One Piece Warriors 3 port, if you're using it then you might run into the bug where it will assume that you have right trigger pressed down at all times.

Yep, that's the one :(

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Belzac posted:

Oh. :negative:

While we're on the subject, can anyone who's played Toukiden tell me about it? Are the controls better than monster hunter?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Chachi posted:

While we're on the subject, can anyone who's played Toukiden tell me about it? Are the controls better than monster hunter?

the controls are literally identical

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Which isn't bad, the monster hunter controls are good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Yep, that's the one :(

I have played it now and can confirm, I get that exact bug. Fortunately I have other controllers but it's pretty lame that for whatever reason they can't fix the same reoccurring bug.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chachi posted:

Yes, it has more of a fast action game feel and is less slow and deliberate overall.
I mean the actual controls are fairly similar, it just doesn't take half an hour to do anything.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Chachi posted:

They're drat near identical, Toukiden's big differences are the way in mission items work, the overall speed of combat, and the some of the minor things involving combat. Instead of an inventory you grind up bits and bobs for, you have spells that have a set amount of charges and there are little shrines you can do a quick pray at to charge them back up. As other people have mentioned, the combat's a good bit quicker than Monster Hunter, making it a little less strategic in some ways, which can be a good or bad thing depending on how you feel about MH combat. There are a few other little things in combat that are different, like instead of busting a horn or slicing a tail, you an lop entire limbs off of enemies and they get weird ghost limbs that don't do quite as much damage, each weapon has their own O-button gimmick, like applying a bunch of marks on an enemy with the sword and doing a bit of burst damage when you end it, or hammering an endless rain of fists with the Gauntlet that's super satisfying. Finally, there's essentially Musou and team Musou attacks, since it's Omega Force and they can't help themselves, and a bit more of an emphasis on AI companions that aren't adorable little cats that you dress up. I'd say wait for a sale and pick up Kiwami, it's pretty much the Monster Hunter Ultimate to Toukiden.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The controls can't be near identical, because I hate Monster Hunters controls and enjoy Toukiden.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The worst thing about Toukiden is how monochromatic it is. The monsters are made of mud. At least if you get tired of looking at brown you can turn on purple-vision.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Oh, that sounds pretty fun (colors aside)! Good to hear that Koei's capable of learing from Capcom's mistakes as far as gameplay goes. Anyone have any thoughts on Toukiden 2? Is is recommended to start with the first one (the Kiwami version) or just jump ahead to the latest & greatest?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

2 isn't available outside Japan yet but I've heard favourable things and the open world + speedy Monster Hunter makes it feel similar to Dragon's Dogma.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have they said anything about a PC release of Toukiden 2?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If they ever bring the game overseas there'll probably be one.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The Vita version of Toukiden has a lot more colors than the PS4/PC version. They used the extra processing power to put filters over the Oni during certain phases which makes them all look like mud sometimes.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

2 isn't available outside Japan yet but I've heard favourable things and the open world + speedy Monster Hunter makes it feel similar to Dragon's Dogma.

"Dragon's Dogma" is taking it a bit far, the overworld is very simplified, but Toukiden 2 by far has the most satisfying and rewarding combat in the entire subgenre. The game isn't long enough for me to recommend paying fullprice for it at the moment (holy poo poo 7.5kY is always a bad sign for games), but I'd absolutely recommend the base game at $50 when it comes overseas, even though a sequel will come out with more content.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Well I picked up the Titan game and initial impression is, best Spiderman game since the one on the original xbox. The travel is super slick. Combat is basically you just dissecting people but that's fun in its own way. Not exactly high art here but its a worthwhile play.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Evil Canadian posted:

Well I picked up the Titan game and initial impression is, best Spiderman game since the one on the original xbox. The travel is super slick. Combat is basically you just dissecting people but that's fun in its own way. Not exactly high art here but its a worthwhile play.

It gets samey pretty quick though because every single titan in the whole entire game is exactly the same. Fitting to the source material but not the most engaging.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Evil Canadian posted:

Which system did you get it on?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Wamdoodle posted:

Which system did you get it on?

Ps4.

*ed*

randombattle posted:

It gets samey pretty quick though because every single titan in the whole entire game is exactly the same. Fitting to the source material but not the most engaging.

Fighting samey enemies is what I have been doing for years now with the warriors franchise, I have made my peace with it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Evil Canadian posted:

Fighting samey enemies is what I have been doing for years now with the warriors franchise, I have made my peace with it.

At least in normal warriors games there's other characters. Everyone plays the same and aside from main guy turning into a titan they all have the same abilities.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm super hype for Toukiden 2 and hope it has a lot more robust character customization, because I just want to be able to recreate one of my custom officers and then go to town on a giant swole four-armed statue dude. I'm also glad to hear it's also a proper Good Game and not just an okay game that I'd love more than I probably should because it combines Warriors style with the Hunting subgenre.

Now I just want to see it outside of Japan, on Steam.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yeah that's my main problem with it. A majority of the fun of warriors games is the different movesets. All the characters effectively play exactly the same.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Xarbala posted:

I'm super hype for Toukiden 2 and hope it has a lot more robust character customization

it has an actually needlessly deep level of customization for a hunting action title, sliders and loving everything, so you're in luck

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Emalde posted:

it has an actually needlessly deep level of customization for a hunting action title, sliders and loving everything, so you're in luck

oh hell yes

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tae posted:

Yeah that's my main problem with it. A majority of the fun of warriors games is the different movesets. All the characters effectively play exactly the same.

Thats a bit of an exaggeration. Mikasa and Levi have the distinction of being OP and Armin is total garbage at fighting so you just sic your team on Titans instead of fighting them yourself. That's pretty much it though, admittedly. I dunno what they could have done to vary them more, they all basically fight the same in the show anyways.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Therein lies the issue. Attack on Titan combat is fun, but there's literally no variety in it. I still think that browser based fangame did it better, but this is the same but much easier to control and to play while being better looking. Whether or not it should be that easy to play depends on your point of view.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

randombattle posted:

randombattle posted:

At least in normal warriors games there's other characters. Everyone plays the same and aside from main guy turning into a titan they all have the same abilities.

Sorry but you're just wrong here.
First of all, I don't know how far into the game you got but as the game goes on you get introduced to more different kinds of Titans a lot of whom have their own unique gameplay mechanics and movesets.
I'm only at 60% completion so far but I've fought at least half a dozen distinct titans. Not the greatest variation but definitely not "all enemies are the same".
(Also, it's not like in DW you fought your opponents too differently based on what character it was. Locking one character in a combo is not much different from locking any other character).

Secondly, I've only max leveled 4 characters so far and if you're going for S-Ranks then each one of them has to be played very differently to be effective.
There's a major difference between Eren, that can be a Titan but doesn't have Chain Attack, or Levi, that doesn't get a fancy super but has an insane Chain Attack instead, or Armin, that has insanely poo poo stats and can barely fight the Titans on his own but instead he gets direct control of his followers.

EDIT: I'm not claiming that AoT is the most complicated game or anything but I've been enjoying it a whole lot lately. It uses a lot of Warriors concepts that I love but slaps slick as gently caress movement system on it and makes combat actually a bit more challenging and engaging.
My biggest problem with Dynasty Warriors has always been how simple the combat is and AoT kinda improves that a bit.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 1, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Dragon Quest Heroes 2 demo is up on the JP PS Store. I haven't played it yet, but I probably will this weekend.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I bought DQH1 a while back but only played a few missions in it. I picked it up again this morning and played a good bit more of it. It's quite a lot of fun.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's been a long time since I played a good Spider-Man game. One with swords and chopping the necks of naked giants off is a welcome change of pace!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wow, second half of the Attack Mode really goes ham on the Monster Hunter-style of progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

First of all, I don't know how far into the game you got but as the game goes on you get introduced to more different kinds of Titans a lot of whom have their own unique gameplay mechanics and movesets.

Not really.

It boils down to "Titan" and "Titan you use an item on so it exposes its weak point." Like yeah technically the Female or Hairy Titans have unique gimmicks but they're using gimmicks that amounts to "hey, use an item first" or, if you're feeling spicy "break a limb first." Those are't unique gameplay mechanics and every fight still goes exactly the same way except how much HP they have and if you're bothering to go for their drops first. The closest I can think of to unique is the Colossal Titan who is just tedious.

And yes, every character does play the same except how good they are at the one thing the game is good at. Like yeah technically Armin plays differently from Mikasa in that he is shittier, slower and you have to manually order attacks instead of it doing it automatically. That doesn't mean you play him differently in any way except having to press O a few times instead. Mikasa and Levi are infinitely superior to every other character available except Erin who they're superior to 70% of the time. There's no difference in how you play them to get S ranks except that one is faster about it.

Jack Trades posted:

(Also, it's not like in DW you fought your opponents too differently based on what character it was. Locking one character in a combo is not much different from locking any other character).

This isn't true, or at least not for the better DW games. Hyrule Warriors for example absolutely both has a massive set of different play styles and enemies who need to be fought in different ways. It eventually wears out its welcome but at least has enough flexibility that you can swap to a new character and change things up when you get bored. Every DW-style game gets repetitive eventually but AoT gets there really quickly.

AoT isn't Ken's Rage tier of bad or anything. It's fun for about the length of the story mode which is really all you can ask. It just lacks anything to keep it going beyond that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 4, 2016