Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Droidmeat posted:

I know those people. She actually has a normal name, Rainbow Dash was just a nickname they used for the show because reasons. Maybe because there was another girl with the same name in the episode or maybe they just wanted to stand out or whatever.

This is the best possible outcome for this story, thank you! :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
5 baby boys were named Vegeta last year according to the US Census.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I used to think having a niece named Brooke would make her stand out. Thanks to this thread I've come to realize she's more likely to get teased for having too boring a name instead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Only 2 Os and no umlauts?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Specter posted:

Worked with someone named Gwynnefahr, she went by Jennifer/Jenny

That's not as crazy as it seems: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinevere

P.S. But still, fuckin' Wiccans.

sweeperbravo posted:

That's a gneiss family

You shouldn't take them for granite.

I am (sadly) in Montana visiting my in-laws and there was a little boy named Chaser being a dick at the airport yesterday. I hope he has a sister named Beerback.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I was talked into joining NextDoor recently by a neighbor. Yesterday there was a post by someone named Tweefie, who apparently lives a few blocks from me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hey can I take a picture of you, because, hmm

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I was very close to being named Mercedes Star. Instead I got Brittany. I'm honestly not sure which is worse.

Look at my poo poo on redbubble please it's cool I promise.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/sociopastry/shop?asc=u

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I enjoy finding old genealogical records where parents picked the name of some random famous person to give to their kid.

A distant relative of mine has the first and middle names of George Washington. That seems OK, considering the greatness of Washington.

But how about the people who named their kid Rutherford Hayes? Or Millard Fillmore? And a surprising amount of children named for Eugene Debs.

Driving through a backwoods recently, I drove across a bridge named in honor of Alfred Tennyson [whatever the guy's last name was]. His parents weren't the only ones trying to sound educated. There were several children named Alfred Tennyson. Just as there are for Edgar Allen Poe.

And we can't limit this to Americans. There were a handful of children named Spencer Percival after the PM's assassination. Brits and Americans also seemed to like Benjamin Disraeli.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
There was a girl on La Voz Kids Colombia called Caramelo.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I enjoy finding old genealogical records where parents picked the name of some random famous person to give to their kid.

On this note, there was a Brazilian guitarist and composer called Baden Powell de Aquino.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Drew Brees, quarterback for the New Orleans Saints, has four children. Their names are Baylen, Bowen, Callen, and Rylen.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Callen Brees sounds like a lotion you use to get rid of calluses

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Lawfirms, man. Most people have normal names, then you get the hoity toity ones likes "Chauncey," but at one of the firms i take, there was a VIP with the last name of Doodlesack. Another firm has a Kristle with a note underneath of "same as crystal". It made me chuckle because all I could think about was gristle.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Oh man. There's a realtor sign across the street and her name is Juany Honeycutt.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

I was very close to being named Mercedes Star. Instead I got Brittany. I'm honestly not sure which is worse.

Mercedes Star is worse, so congratulations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

A friend of mine posted a photo on Facebook of her little boy with his friend, Kalel.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

StandardToast posted:

Lawfirms, man. Most people have normal names, then you get the hoity toity ones likes "Chauncey," but at one of the firms i take, there was a VIP with the last name of Doodlesack. Another firm has a Kristle with a note underneath of "same as crystal". It made me chuckle because all I could think about was gristle.

Not sure if the spelling has to be exact but Dudelsack is the German word for bagpipe.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
IKEA. I mean I'm sure her mom didn't know but I spent like 30 minutes crying laughing.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Sociopastry posted:

I came very close to being Victoria Juliana. My mother swears it wasn't from a soap opera, but it was 1980 so I don't think I believe her. I ended up with a pretty normal name (and a weird unique middle name that was a merger of my two grandmothers' names) so at least I got that.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
It's only weird because of geography, but if I had been a boy I could have been Boris.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Jermaine Jackson (Michael's brother) named his son Jermajesty. Good lord, I didn't realize he was 15 already, I remember hearing about that ages ago but I didn't think it'd been that long.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

sweeperbravo posted:

It's only weird because of geography, but if I had been a boy I could have been Boris.

Well I think Natasha is a perfectly lovely name.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Marganit sounds like a rock type pokemon.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Had a waitress whose name was "Epic." Pack it in, we're done.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Gabriel Pope posted:

Had a waitress whose name was "Epic." Pack it in, we're done.

Did she tell overweight customers that "You want it all but you can't have it"?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Seen yesterday on my drive home from work: two 'baby on board' style signs with the names Klaudia and Wiktoria.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Seen yesterday on my drive home from work: two 'baby on board' style signs with the names Klaudia and Wiktoria.

If you're from Germany this kind of makes sense though. (Ws make V sounds)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Stoatbringer posted:

A friend of mine posted a photo on Facebook of her little boy with his friend, Kalel.

I'm actually surprised it isn't spelled Kal-El.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

gamingCaffeinator posted:

These are perfectly normal Polish names.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I found the video on YouTube.

IKEA

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Winter Stormer posted:

These are perfectly normal Polish names.

Didn't think about that. I'm in the outskirts of Chicago, which has a huge Polish population.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure Chicago has more Polish people than Warsaw.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

stubblyhead posted:

Well why not, the only city in the world with more Greek people than Melbourne, Australia is Athens.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

stubblyhead posted:

I think you're joking, but Curious City, a feature from WBEZ (the Chicago NPR affiliate) did look into the question of whether Chicago has the most Poles outside Poland, and the answer is yes if you count the suburbs.

For content, I was watching the ND State/Charleston Southern game last night, and the quarterback for ND State is named Easton Stick. I heard "Easton State" the first couple of times they said it and thought they were talking about another school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Imperialist Dog posted:

Not sure if the spelling has to be exact but Dudelsack is the German word for bagpipe.

That... Doesn't make it less funny I think. I didn't personally get a call from her so I don't know spelling, but my super was disappointed that she wasn't with the firm anymore.