Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

CapnBry posted:

A corollary to the mines mines mines mines mines pirate defense, I ran got interdicted by a Python last night who had a point defense module which would pew pew all the mines. I only have 2 launchers now because that seems to do the job just fine usually, but I ran out of mines with him at 36% hull. Luckily, in a rare instance where the NPC gets the shorter end of the stick for once, the Python had no hardpoints. Just point defense! So I let the pirate talk smack a while about all the nasty things he was going to do to me while I tried to ram away his last 36%. When it became obvious it wasn't going to happen quickly, I just closed up shop and headed on to the station. He followed me to the station to trash talk a little more before turning tail and running away and I haven't seen him since.

I wonder if that's what I've been seeing when (predominantly) Anacondas just stop taking damage at somewhere around 17–20% hull. It's still strange that they eat damage right up until that point and that they still happily lose all their shields again afterwards, but there's something out there that makes the game decide that, no, this ships simply will not be destroyed by mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
gently caress Deep Space clan and their "oh wait, actually we dont want these slaves in Ceos, bring them 420ly into the bubble instead" missions.

Its not that i hate smuggling, its quite easy once you realize all space stations have their letterbox face the planet theyre orbiting, but suddenly having 8 target systems in a bubble run instead of 3 is just frustratingly time consuming...

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

gently caress Deep Space clan and their "oh wait, actually we dont want these slaves in Ceos, bring them 420ly into the bubble instead" missions.
Yeah I love that too. Hey smuggle these cigars from Tampa to Miami for $10,000 (gets to Miami) Oh I'm sorry, we meant to say Luxembourg. The first time they said this I immediately role-played and said out loud "Oh I'm sorry I didn't say I'd deliver them to Sothis, I said I'd take them to Sothis (vents them into Sothis by the star while closing with) mothah fuckaaaaaaaa!" They have to realize that I'm not the kind of space taxicab can be bossed around because I have moral reservations about dumping 12 tons of people into the sun.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

CapnBry posted:

Yeah I love that too. Hey smuggle these cigars from Tampa to Miami for $10,000 (gets to Miami) Oh I'm sorry, we meant to say Luxembourg. The first time they said this I immediately role-played and said out loud "Oh I'm sorry I didn't say I'd deliver them to Sothis, I said I'd take them to Sothis (vents them into Sothis by the star while closing with) mothah fuckaaaaaaaa!" They have to realize that I'm not the kind of space taxicab can be bossed around because I have moral reservations about dumping 12 tons of people into the sun.

I stopped taking them completly, fck this poo poo.

On the matter of Sothis, ive made retared amounts of money with no intend to stop until i can afford a cutter that i dont have the faction to buy yet, and im having doubts.
On the plus side, its got great speed and boost, and nice hardpoints.
Downside, it looks like a 747 made love to a blue whale.
I find myself checking out the anaconda instead, hardpoints are overall basically the same power level, with more all around placement. Armor seems to be thicker at the cost of speed though.
My biggest concern however is... what would i do with one of these?

For headhunting i have a pimped-out FDL, for cargo runs i have a quite optimized 33ly python.
What role could a corvette class ship fulfill that isnt taken care of by one of the smaller vessels?

What do you guys use your large ones for and why?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I made some screenshots. Put them on the Diamond Frog tumblr. Go check it out.

http://dfexploration.tumblr.com/

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I stopped taking them completly, fck this poo poo.

On the matter of Sothis, ive made retared amounts of money with no intend to stop until i can afford a cutter that i dont have the faction to buy yet, and im having doubts.
On the plus side, its got great speed and boost, and nice hardpoints.
Downside, it looks like a 747 made love to a blue whale.
I find myself checking out the anaconda instead, hardpoints are overall basically the same power level, with more all around placement. Armor seems to be thicker at the cost of speed though.
My biggest concern however is... what would i do with one of these?

For headhunting i have a pimped-out FDL, for cargo runs i have a quite optimized 33ly python.
What role could a corvette class ship fulfill that isnt taken care of by one of the smaller vessels?

What do you guys use your large ones for and why?

Bulk trading. Or taking more and more Sothis/Ceos delivery missions. I have a stacked python, too, but more cargo space = more missions at a time = more money. I got my Conda and get a lot more profit doing Sothis runs with that (plus it has a great jump range), and now I'm almost done with the Cutter rep grind because I need all the cargo space. Big ships are also great for mining. And the Ananconda is an excellent exploration vessel because of its enormous jump range.

Keep your Python, though, it's an excellent all-around ship, especially when you need something that can land on medium pads. Like when you decide to do that hideous Cutter rep grind.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
found a really cool wreck exploring today, it looked like a small wrecked station with a few of those tiny fed fighters in various pieces around it. It was big enough to fly in, even

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

frank.club posted:

found a really cool wreck exploring today, it looked like a small wrecked station with a few of those tiny fed fighters in various pieces around it. It was big enough to fly in, even

Was it in the bubble?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll double check when I get back to my comp, it could've very well been within the range of the bubble but I fairly sure I'm not in it. I know unidentified signals extend pretty far out

I'm on my way to that robo butlers place

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

CapnBry posted:

Luckily, in a rare instance where the NPC gets the shorter end of the stick for once, the Python had no hardpoints. Just point defense!
More likely is that they did have weapons once, but your mines blew them to poo poo.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

images from SCUTUM DARK REGION VO-Z BO SYSTEM

frank.club fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 28, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

StarkRavingMad posted:

Bulk trading. Or taking more and more Sothis/Ceos delivery missions. I have a stacked python, too, but more cargo space = more missions at a time = more money. I got my Conda and get a lot more profit doing Sothis runs with that (plus it has a great jump range), and now I'm almost done with the Cutter rep grind because I need all the cargo space. Big ships are also great for mining. And the Ananconda is an excellent exploration vessel because of its enormous jump range.

Keep your Python, though, it's an excellent all-around ship, especially when you need something that can land on medium pads. Like when you decide to do that hideous Cutter rep grind.

How great is great, regarding jumprange?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I hope something actually happens during this bounty hunter thing today. Someone is supposed to show up at 21:00 tonight and I bet it's just going to be more puzzles with nothing to show for it. It's like the worst part of an ARG, all puzzles and no pay off at the end because of :frontear: gating the story progress :ohdear:

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Does this look like a decent starter bounty hunting spaceboat?

https://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/0p0t9F8l8ddscf21b1b24210d0n0242692h.Iw1+kA==.CwBj5BGbOUVEA===

Also I'm not real sure I understand power management.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

How great is great, regarding jumprange?
Fully stripped for exploration, the Anaconda can do a little over 39ly with 32T of fuel. With rank 5 FSD engineer upgrade, that's ~58.5ly per jump, with a 4 jump max fastest range (234ly). My Asp Explorer can do 49ly per jump 7x = 346ly with no stops. So sure, the anaconda can jump further per hop, but has to stop for gas almost twice as often so ends up with a 50% overall deficiency in range.

I have an Anaconda and I thought it was going to be me showing up for battle and just blowing up space mens mercilessly with all my giant guns as I laughed and drank scotch on the bridge and then set course to return home 300ly in 5 jumps. I haven't found a good use for it though. You won't want to do Sothis runs back to the bubble because it can take so long to fill your cargo hold flipping the mission board over and over, usually making it not as profitable per ton than with a smaller hold (and only about 30ly of max range at that load). I also feel like my Vulture is more nimble in combat and can take people out just as fast, although that may be because I haven't fully committed to making my Anaconda a slow lumbering warbeast. I only use it for mining now and I don't do much mining.

It does give you the ability to accurately judge mailslot sizes though. Is this slot regulation-sized? Because it felt a bit small coming in!

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 28, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

AnimalChin posted:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/0p0t9F8l8ddscf21b1b24210d0n0242692h.Iw1+kA==.CwBj5BGbOUVEA===

Put your FSD on priority 2 and put the guns on priority 1, they don't draw power when retracted. If you aren't going to A grade your sensors I would leave them at D grade to save weight.

Also A grading your FSD should be your top priority, an 8ly jump range is going to prevent you from traveling to a lot of systems.

You could also put a collector limpet controller in the slot your basic D scanner is in to make nabbing cargo easier.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

AnimalChin posted:

Besides Astroniomix' suggestions, I'd replace the cargo scanner with a chaff launcher and maybe switch the weapons around: small lasers and medium ballistic weapons. It's really more a personal preference than anything, but I also generally stick with the same type of weapon as much as possible so that everything in a firing group behaves the same as far as range and need to lead the target. A one-of-everything approach has a nasty tendency to turn into a one-thing-is-always-unusuable setup.

…but that's probably more of an old EVE disease, so take it with a grain of salt.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

You can tell this story event is a total poo poo show when the brown sea denizens are speaking out against it.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

AnimalChin posted:

When you're bounty hunting you usually don't have a lot of cargo to pick up from pirates in the first place, so I'd drop all the cargo stuff immediately; the Viper doesn't have the space to pull a jack of all trades like that. Put a scoop where the cargo rack was so you can move around a bit and replace the cargo scanner either with a chaff launcher or a shield booster (this one's up to you, I usually forget to hit chaff and like facetanking, but chaff will really help against NPCs). I'd drop the discovery scanner too, that'll give you even more range and a basic doesn't usually have the range to get useful data.

Having two different kinds of physical guns is usually really annoying since their effective ranges will differ, and frag cannons are way more expensive, so I'd switch that out for 2x multicannons. That frees up some money for you to switch all the E-rank stuff with much lighter D-rank equipment, almost bringing you to 9 LY range. This stuff is also less power hungry and you don't need to touch power priorities at all.

Now for the last options - you can D-rank the shield to get even more range in exchange for about 10% of your shields, and you can swap the 2A for a 3C to save money in exchange for a little less range. Both of these are optional though, at this point the fit is good to go: https://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/0p0t8F8l8ddsdf21b1b2424000m304269-.Iw1+kA==.IwBj4yyA

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol reddit is seething with people who got one half of the clue, made wrong assumptions from it and are now angryposting about how they haven't gotten to make first contact on behalf of all humanity yet

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Sultan Tarquin posted:

You can tell this story event is a total poo poo show when the brown sea denizens are speaking out against it.

The meltdowns against it being in Open are p. nice. :allears:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
First contact with aliens would basically amount to "What type of loot can I get from it?" before they get blown the hell up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

IAmTheRad posted:

First contact with aliens would basically amount to "What type of loot can I get from it?" before they get blown the hell up.

Yeah, there was a lore post on GalNet recently addressing this issue. The Federation basically doesn't want grubby space people like us players to make contact.

Something something about greed

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So what is with this event I guess is going on? I think it's funny that if I didn't read about special events here on SA I would not even be aware of their existence ever.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IAmTheRad posted:

It would be win if it turned out to be some insurmountable pve event that lasted an hour

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

So what is with this event I guess is going on? I think it's funny that if I didn't read about special events here on SA I would not even be aware of their existence ever.

From the decoded binary in the gamescom videos there was going to be a 'hunt' starting on the 28th.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZyHq50LWm0RVXO5yuNkx_gUAzZun-rOPduO91Hgw0yo/preview

When people found Kohl in the red T-9 they interdicted and killed him which forced frontier to post an emergency 2 hour CG to deliver the next clue because nobody could have ever seen it coming that their carefully laid plans would have been hosed up in this way.

It's just another symptom of the way frontier fails to implement this incredible player driven story. They use a lot of ARG and complex puzzle elements for people to solve which means you need to have a collaborative effort to make any kind of progress. A collaborative effort means you need a central place to post all your findings which means everyone posts on the official forums. With everyone in one place it's the only place the developers read and post clues. A lot of the information and all of the progress is collected outside of the game so if you're not following the thread religiously you're going to miss out on everything that the devs want you to see.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I was kind of trying to follow this, but not very closely and I really have no idea what's going on.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sultan Tarquin posted:

From the decoded binary in the gamescom videos there was going to be a 'hunt' starting on the 28th.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZyHq50LWm0RVXO5yuNkx_gUAzZun-rOPduO91Hgw0yo/preview

When people found Kohl in the red T-9 they interdicted and killed him which forced frontier to post an emergency 2 hour CG to deliver the next clue because nobody could have ever seen it coming that their carefully laid plans would have been hosed up in this way.

It's just another symptom of the way frontier fails to implement this incredible player driven story. They use a lot of ARG and complex puzzle elements for people to solve which means you need to have a collaborative effort to make any kind of progress. A collaborative effort means you need a central place to post all your findings which means everyone posts on the official forums. With everyone in one place it's the only place the developers read and post clues. A lot of the information and all of the progress is collected outside of the game so if you're not following the thread religiously you're going to miss out on everything that the devs want you to see.

Well the way we have to interact with the game is 'shoot things' so why would anyone try anything else? Those alien barnacles? The only way to interact with them was to shoot them. Couldn't scan them, couldn't kiss them couldn't sample them, only shoot them. What did they honestly expect to happen :v:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I think it would be really cool if you did have more scanners. I think it would be really neat to find alien fossils or the like on dead worlds while out exploring.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah that would be cool. Driving around on planets is neat but it's like I'm stretching mum legs in game lol. Also starting to regret using the diamond back explore over the asp but I guess the jump range cut isn't too significant and refueling goes by quick. Still managing about 1,000 lyr an hour

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
1,000ly/h is pretty decent.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TomR posted:

1,000ly/h is pretty decent.

true, but I want to really improve my rep with the explorer engineer because I assume she makes fsd boosts. Hopefully going to the core and back is enough for some good stuff

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

frank.club posted:

yeah that would be cool. Driving around on planets is neat but it's like I'm stretching mum legs in game lol. Also starting to regret using the diamond back explore over the asp but I guess the jump range cut isn't too significant and refueling goes by quick. Still managing about 1,000 lyr an hour

I just upgraded a combat fit DBX to 47 LY. I'm not sure an asp could do much better.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mike the TV posted:

I just upgraded a combat fit DBX to 47 LY. I'm not sure an asp could do much better.

Nice, truth be told half the reason I picked dbx is I was worried that I'd gently caress up on a high gravity planet with an asp. Good to know it can get that good, too. I plain like the look of it more. Only problem is it wasn't really built with horizon friendly internal slots. There aren't enough for shields, scoop, adv discovery, vehicle bay, and surface scanner. I didn't forgo a cargo slot thinking that I'd be angry if I missed something

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

frank.club posted:

Nice, truth be told half the reason I picked dbx is I was worried that I'd gently caress up on a high gravity planet with an asp. Good to know it can get that good, too. I plain like the look of it more. Only problem is it wasn't really built with horizon friendly internal slots. There aren't enough for shields, scoop, adv discovery, vehicle bay, and surface scanner. I didn't forgo a cargo slot thinking that I'd be angry if I missed something

Cargo is the thing you want to skip on the DBX. Especially on a long haul. I usually swap the DSS for a cargo bay in the bubble, but there is nothing worth picking up in the black. I'm actually starting to think the DBX may have a slight edge over the Asp for deep space exploration because it's easier to land it in rough terrain with the small frame. But you really need everything else: shields and SRV bay for planets, scoop is obvious along with the ADS, and the DSS is essential for figuring out which planets to land on. Cargo is the only thing you don't need, best hope is finding an escape pod or some platinum, which isn't worth nearly as much as you'd get from having the DSS! If you absolutely had to take a cargo bay, I would forgoe shields and try not to botch the landings.
:black101:

As for Engineers: a Sag A* trip will net you enough to max out all of the engineers who take explodata with enough left over to rep up a few of your favorite systems.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nice, if that robot guys station is still there I'll switch it out for a dss before swinging by sag a*

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
OK, i understand you. I dont know excactly what i was expecting, but after that much hype, done by FD themselves, i would have hoped for at least a little bit more than just another kind of "riddle" , and after that the next, and after that the next.
It's fun once or twice, but we already did this a few times over the course of the last few days. It's getting old by now. And after those Video-Interferences during the Braben Interviews, something innovative, would have been nice.

And don't get me started on the general execution of this by FD. I was on and of the game for the majority of 13 hours today. Did not encounter anything related. Thanks for nothing.

That's it at least for me. Following this thread, or even just refreshing first page of this thread is much more informative and entertaining, than everything i experienced today in game.
Sorry to say so, but that's the truth (at least for me).

Good night, CMDR's .
o7

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Sothis runs have reached a new low, halfway through the void to the bubble they reroute 2 missions to... loving Sothis.
They want their own literal poo poo back.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Sothis runs have reached a new low, halfway through the void to the bubble they reroute 2 missions to... loving Sothis.
They want their own literal poo poo back.

This poo poo happened to me after stacking a bunch of missions from a system about 200ly outside the bubble, except once I hit the first system in the bubble I was delivering to, they rerouted all of the missions back to the origin station...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Bet you someone flushed their ring down the space toilet. That's why they want their poop back.

• Locked thread