Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

Sorry guys, every Wally fan is bad now. You're all tainted by association with this guy.

I think I just won dumb internet comment bingo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Sorry guys, every Wally fan is bad now. You're all tainted by association with this guy.

I kind of want Wally West Classic to die now just to ruin this guy's day.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
DC totally has it out for their older fans. The "we make comics for 45-year olds" quote? Misdirection. :smug:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
As a millennial, two characters sharing a name confuses the absolute gently caress out of me. Comics that came out when I was actually into reading comics never featured this before, especially not with a title shared between a straight white man hero, and another hero that is not a straight white man.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Did that guy honest use the term Blackwashing? :wtc:

This new era of DC is just up its rear end with character doubles isn't it. Superbro+SuperDad+Super-Ming.

It's like Batman Inc but more lazy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I mean... the fact it's two dudes with literally the exact same name is kind of silly, but lets be honest, there was at one point 3 heroes all using the name "The Flash" and 5+ all using "Green Lantern"

I think we can deal.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

don't doxx alucard nacirema

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

FilthyImp posted:

Did that guy honest use the term Blackwashing? :wtc:

This new era of DC is just up its rear end with character doubles isn't it. Superbro+SuperDad+Super-Ming.

It's like Batman Inc but more lazy.

So the moment when the crisis happened and we had two flashes?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 28, 2016

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Wasn't too sure about this Jonboy Meyers go based on his covers, but dang that preview has a lot of energy and some good color.

Cannot loving believe I'm looking forward to a Teen Titans comic.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Isn't the new Kid Flash going by Wallace? He isn't a conservative ginger kid from Nebraska, so Wally doesn't quite work for him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Onmi posted:

I mean... the fact it's two dudes with literally the exact same name is kind of silly, but lets be honest, there was at one point 3 heroes all using the name "The Flash" and 5+ all using "Green Lantern"

I think we can deal.

To be fair, those are code names, and Black Wally was originally intended to be the exact same guy. But also, this guy is dumb as poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No he wasn't.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I can't wait for CoIE II in 2019.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jack of Hearts posted:

I can't wait for CoIE II in 2019.

The working title for Infinite Crisis was COIE2 so they already did that.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Dario the Wop posted:

Isn't the new Kid Flash going by Wallace? He isn't a conservative ginger kid from Nebraska, so Wally doesn't quite work for him.

He's only been called Wally by everyone except that one cop who discharged him from juvenile hall.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

The working title for Infinite Crisis was COIE2 so they already did that.

I can't wait for CoIE III in 2019.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jack of Hearts posted:

I'm more excited for CoIE V in late 2019.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Where's Wallace, Osterman?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

I'm more excited for CoIE V in late 2019.

Crisis 5 was way better than Crisis V.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Jack of Hearts posted:

I can't wait for CoIE III & Knuckles Turbo: Revenge of the Meta-Knight in 2019.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I do earnestly want that, though. I am just way too stupid to understand DC continuity as it stands, so I'm hoping they hurry up and collapse the multiverse again sometime soon.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jack of Hearts posted:

Reverse Countdown to Crisis Rebirth will decimate everything with it's GIANT PURPLE DEATH RAY!!!!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I kinda hope DC does events like how they've handled Rebirth from now on.

One major event in a single issue special, and then we see the after effects across all their comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Crisis 5 was way better than Crisis V.

Crisis Times Five was a great story. It's the one where the JLA teams up with the JSA and Captain Marvel to fight five-dimensional reality-warping imps (and also Superboy-Prime the Sentry Miracleman Triumph).

As far as Grant Morrison JLA stories go, I like it better than Rock of Ages or World War III.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Crisis Times Five was a great story. It's the one where the JLA teams up with the JSA and Captain Marvel to fight five-dimensional reality-warping imps (and also Superboy-Prime the Sentry Miracleman Triumph).

As far as Grant Morrison JLA stories go, I like it better than Rock of Ages or World War III.

I still think that the Wisdom of Solomon should have made Captain Marvel especially helpful in containing rogue genies. :colbert:

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Wheat Loaf posted:

:yeah:

This is the best Justice League arc, no doubt.

Also, this post reminds me that we all live in the timeline where Tom Peyer's Hourman still hasn't been collected. We hosed up.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Holy poo poo that was racist as gently caress.

Like I seriously hope white Wally dies forever now. I'm so tired of the racism. Iris is black in the TV show and movies now. They need to bite the bullet and make the West's black in every continuity.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 30, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The problem isn't that Wally West is/was black in the N52, it's that he was a totally, completely different person - and kind of an rear end in a top hat - and happened to have a legacy character's name whose last official appearance was Geoff Johns erasing him from existence. And the only reason this kid had that name was DC doing a really lovely, sort of immature temper-tantrum-ish half-step when DC fans kept on bitching to them about Wally West no longer existing in the N52 continuity, and he was very clearly set up from the start to replace Wally West as The New Wally West.

N52 Wally West is this total loving minefield where there's very definitely a non-racist way to complain about how he was implemented and the subtext within which he was presented to the fanbase - "Hey, stop whining about Wally West being gone, we're gonna present a version of the character who in no way whatsoever resembles what you liked about Wally West, never mind his race, and for a couple of years we're gonna push him as the new, permanent, forever canon Wally West until sales get so low we're gonna retcon him to being Real Wally West's cousin and more or less pretend he doesn't exist any more". The problem is that idiots like that dumbshit make it so criticizing N52 Wally West gets you painted as a racist, whether rightly or wrongly.

Personally, DC could've solved this little problem by not giving him Wally West's name, because that creates reasonable expectations for the character which he didn't, in any way, live up to and justifiably pissed off non-racist Wally fans. And considering that across the pond Marvel successfully pulled off creating a new black Spider-Man with Miles Morales, and to a lesser extent DC itself pulled off a new black Robin with Duke Thomas, it's very possible to create a character wholecloth with legacy abilities. The Wally West name was an albatross around N52 Wally's neck and shouldn't have been done, especially considering it sorta came off as DC throwing a metatextual tantrum that everyone didn't immediately glom onto Barry Allen forever.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wally was pretty good in the latest Flash issue and seems fine in the TT preview so I look forward to people shutting up about this "problem" that's frankly pretty much fixed at this point.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
N52 Wally is in and of himself is racist, being a black guy who's power is to run fast, has a deadbeat dad, and is the Kid Flash.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They could have just had old Wally's essence merge with New Wally or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

The problem isn't that Wally West is/was black in the N52

Actually, going to stop you there because there is no problem and we don't have to defend the crazy racist's point.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Aphrodite posted:

Actually, going to stop you there because there is no problem and we don't have to defend the crazy racist's point.

I was addressing Koalas March, not defending the racist.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

There are legitimate reasons to dislike/not gel with new Wally in the comics, but unfortunately it's getting drowned out in the racism.

I'd say there's legit reasons not to like the TV version too, except, honestly aside from "wrong side of the tracks, illegal street races" I don't think that there are because they essentially gave Barry a good chunk of Wally's personality. I'd like to see TV Wally be more fun (he's already cocky, and I like that) but at this point I'm worried viewers would think he's a Barry clone and not understand that no, that's Wally. Barry was kinda boring first. Idk I don't think I'm explaining this well, I hope y'all get the jist.

Aside from Francine being an addict, I think that the TV West's are kinda superior. Like you could have Francine have disappeared because she had to go to the future or any comic book nonsense and it would be better than Wally is a hoodlum with a deadbeat dad. But I really like TV Joe and Iris so I'm biased.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 30, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The biggest reason to dislike TV Wally is that the actor isn't very good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

This.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

X-O posted:

He is fine, I just don't think they give him much to do. I really would be liked to see Alfie Allen in the role though, ngl. Maybe for the movies.....

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No, he's not not really fine. TV Iris on the other hand is severely underutilized and manages to do good stuff with the almost nothing that is given to her.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

X-O posted:

No, he's not not really fine. TV Iris on the other hand is severely underutilized and manages to do good stuff with the almost nothing that is given to her.

I can definitely agree with this. Candice spins nothing into adorable gold. They need to step up the writing for her character. Iris is supposed to be the leading lady and a pivotal character but for whatever reason the writers want to keep the lovely Will They Won't They CW relationship drama. All the good Barry/Iris stuff happens after they hook up. And it's not like couples don't have problems and tribulations. I hope they don't give Iris the Laurel treatment. She's too good and it would throw away so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Candace Patton is friggin adorable and when they want to they have plenty of chemistry. It's just that they don't give her and Grant anything to work with at all. Joe and Cisco get better scenes together.