Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
LOL conservatives are all blood sucking parasites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

So the leading figures in the alt. right would appear to be:

-Milo Yiannopoulos
-Chuck C. Johnson
-Gavin McInnes
-Steven Crowder
-Ben Shapiro

Am I missing anyone?

Didn't Shapiro denounce the alt-right because of their anti-semitism?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Nah Walsh is just a younger, more social media savvy version of the hyper-moralizing traditional religious right assholes. I mean he definitely hates feminists, is openly hostile towards black people and doesn't bother dogwhistling but I don't think he'd ever drop a pepe meme about cucking

this. walsh is the new generation of cruz or the duggars or any of the hard religious right. the alt right has some cross over with them but not as much as you would think.

iospace posted:

Crowder is alt-right. Don't see how he isn't.

And if he isn't, he's still a misogynistic shithead who way too many people think is the second coming.

Or maybe that's his mom, I don't know.

sorta. crowder is in a weird in-between territory, leaving moral religious right and heading into the alt right.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

His head simultaneously looks too large and scrunched up and that in itself is impressive as hell

Combine it with the look of a guy who lost too much weight on a diet and you have Chuck "Floorshitter" Johnson

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Even though she's descended into largely being the fattest nothing:burger:, it's still fun to kick Coulter.

https://twitter.com/swin24/status/770045883232706561

e:
https://twitter.com/swin24/status/770046692334993408
awwwwww

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

To be sure, I did like those last two things. It helped that there was very few moments of people just standing staring at each other with twitching eyes instead of, you know, emoting.

Honestly though? I don't like cake.

Edit: unless cheesecake.

Cheesecake is a pie. A custard pie.

VVV It's inevitable. You're right. VVV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 29, 2016

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I'm sure there will be outrage a-plenty over Davidson's comment all over the cablesphere tomorrow. A conservative saying mean thing is a natural, unavoidable quirk of nature, but a liberal doing the same is UNACCEPTABLE.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

iospace posted:

Even though she's descended into largely being the fattest nothing:burger:, it's still fun to kick Coulter.

https://twitter.com/swin24/status/770045883232706561

e:
https://twitter.com/swin24/status/770046692334993408
awwwwww

i hate coulter. even if she was a troll to begin with, i am sure she believes it now. living a lie does that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I would have loved to have seen Frankie Boyle on this, he can be so devastating.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Epic High Five posted:

His head simultaneously looks too large and scrunched up and that in itself is impressive as hell

Combine it with the look of a guy who lost too much weight on a diet and you have Chuck "Floorshitter" Johnson

Oh God, Dipper grew up to be Floorshitter. :psyduck:

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

with the way his beard looks, it kinda looks like he photoshopped his head onto someone else's picture

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ZDar Fan posted:

I’m a Jew, and I’m a Member of the Alt-Right.

The fun part is the comments section full of "the alt-right doesn't want you, go back to Israel"

So are we seeing the larval form of a Jewish version of Milo?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I thought Milo was Jewish (or at least born to Jewish parents).

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Vice put up a rather good and detailed article regarding the tactics of the alt-right and how people are mounting resistance to their bullshit:

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/26/126534..._source=twitter

Glad to see that more people are becoming aware of the alt-right practice using harassment and then crying crocodile tears of 'censorship' when they get banned. (Only to swing back with more vicious harassment, and escalate.)

Honestly I think the reason why things are so bad right now is that trump is giving this fringe a bigger mouthpiece than they deserve. After the election (and after a lot more of social media starts clamping down on their abusive tactics) they're going to lose a lot of their influence in in a manner similar to trump's other ventures all fizzling out after a lot of bluster.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 29, 2016

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
The thing that I see most detrimental to the alt-right is that they took Obama's 2008 handbook on grassroots organization and decided that the only footprint that mattered was the electronic one. Sure, Obama's 2008 campaign used twitter, email, and social media but it did so to mobilize people on the ground. Here, they've decided that everything they do should be done through social media and now you have twitter trolls and mass dislike campaigns substituting for in your face crowds and actual mobilization. Even though we're a more digital society it's still not going to get to all the people that read print media or who aren't constantly in front of a computer. It's going to take a generation or two for all these old guard racists to die off before the full effect is felt.

Either they don't understand that a physical presence is needed outside of anime-space or they still don't have the balls to go out into the real world where someone might actually tell them that they're loving horrible people and fash needs to get bashed.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Not just that but their 'youth outreach' consists of trying to appeal to the worst parts of the internet that the majority of youths hate.

Most kids these days are very anti-bigotry; they aren't /pol/ or the hateful redditors. Those people are the racist refuse left behind.

Basically they're using a smallish segment of assholes who puff themselves up with sockpuppet accounts and lots of noise to appear larger than they are, and aggressively bully their political opposition to silence. Their reach and influence is on borrowed time until social media services (and law enforcement, where applicable) catch up to their abusive tactics.

Unsurprisingly none of what they're doing is translating into ballot numbers. Youths still overwhelmingly are against trump and conservatism in general. This is all about a hateful fringe exerting its influence to profit its tabloidy ringleaders and let the worst impulses of its fanatics run wild - inadvertently killing off the GOP in the process. (Unless some leadership clamps down after the election. Which it probably will. Establishment conservatives are going to be out for blood.)

Personally I think the 'real' future of conservatism in this country lies in rejecting overt white supremacism and a lot of the southern strategy garbage. In fact after this melts down, we'll likely see a new version of mainstream conservatism emerge from the growing hispanic community in this country. The transformed republican party (or whatever takes its place) will likely be driven by hispanics. Much to the chagrin of white nationalist racists, who fear pretty much exactly that.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 29, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Spacedad posted:

Not just that but their 'youth outreach' consists of trying to appeal to the worst parts of the internet that the majority of youths hate.

Most kids these days are very anti-bigotry; they aren't /pol/ or the hateful redditors. Those people are the racist refuse left behind.

Basically they're using a smallish segment of assholes who puff themselves up with sockpuppet accounts and lots of noise to appear larger than they are, and aggressively bully their political opposition to silence. Their reach and influence is on borrowed time until social media services (and law enforcement, where applicable) catch up to their abusive tactics.

Unsurprisingly none of what they're doing is translating into ballot numbers. Youths still overwhelmingly are against trump and conservatism in general. This is all about a hateful fringe exerting its influence to profit its tabloidy ringleaders and let the worst impulses of its fanatics run wild - inadvertently killing off the GOP in the process. (Unless some leadership clamps down after the election. Which it probably will. Establishment conservatives are going to be out for blood.)

Personally I think the 'real' future of conservatism in this country lies in rejecting overt white supremacism and a lot of the southern strategy garbage. In fact after this melts down, we'll likely see a new version of mainstream conservatism emerge from the growing hispanic community in this country.

this. If the right survives this. they will have to probably go for a socially left small L liberterian ideals. they are hosed otherwise. The alt right will probably burn itself out once/if trump loses, espcialy if he gets destroyed.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. If the right survives this. they will have to probably go for a socially left small L liberterian ideals. they are hosed otherwise. The alt right will probably burn itself out once/if trump loses, espcialy if he gets destroyed.

after the election the alt-right narrative will be that trump lost because he didn't cater to the alt-right enough/he was betrayed by the establishment gop/hillary rigged the election.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Instant Sunrise posted:

after the election the alt-right narrative will be that trump lost because he didn't cater to the alt-right enough/he was betrayed by the establishment gop/hillary rigged the election.

no poo poo. I just ment the GOP in general. if they are smart they will purge the party of trumpists and alt right wingers. then get rid of cruz and friends.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Trump is Goldwater 2.0. Actually, I think he's worse than Goldwater. By a lot.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Which will in turn further isolate them all to a fringe where they don't understand why they lost, and will keep losing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Spacedad posted:

Trump is Goldwater 2.0. Actually, I think he's worse than Goldwater. By a lot.

Which will in turn further isolate them all to a fringe where they don't understand why they lost, and will keep losing.

yeah he pretty much is. at least goldwater was "smartish" and yeah. them going full nazis would probaly gently caress them entirely.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

no poo poo. I just ment the GOP in general. if they are smart they will purge the party of trumpists and alt right wingers. then get rid of cruz and friends.

Leaving who?

Whoever would be left wouldn't even be enough to win 20% of the vote at that point.

E: VVV I thought "Cruz and friends" meant evangelicals.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 29, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

WampaLord posted:

Leaving who?

Whoever would be left wouldn't even be enough to win 20% of the vote at that point.

white evangelical christians maybe?

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah he pretty much is. at least goldwater was "smartish" and yeah. them going full nazis would probaly gently caress them entirely.

What if they just go standard Nazi?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Trump isn't Goldwater, he's Reagan. A lifetime of being a shitheel but steals what little political ideas he has from other sources while generally being an empty suit.

Goldwater set the foundation for Reagan. Trump isn't building some kind of a Bircher-esque foundation unless you think the alt-right has some kind of a future.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

He's a Reagan era fanboy but represents the cynical superficial rich assholes who benefited under Reagan.

He also lacks his actor's charm and talent - he comes across in everything like a meanspirited con man to everyone but his credulous supporters.

Oh and unlike Trump, Reagan actually had political experience by the time he ran.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Dapper_Swindler posted:

How are they going to do this? The party establishment is more like the c-levels of a corporation, with the voters being the shareholders and the board of directors. The establishment can talk about changing around the platform all they want, they can try to get moderate candidates on the ballot all they want - if the voters primary out the moderate candidates, if they elect delegates to write a platform somewhere slightly to the left of the 25-point program of the NSDAP, then that's what's going to happen.

The only way the party elite can accomplish what you're suggesting is to go back to the primary system of the 60s and earlier - smoke-filled rooms and the like. They might try it, but they'll be booted out immediately when they do.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah whenever people talk about the GOP changing platforms or getting rid of XYZ demographic they don't mention how this is to be done. The party is stuck between an assortment of rocks and hard places that doesn't really let them do that with out shedding huge amounts of their voters.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I would say it's even worse than that, but yeah.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Call me naive or whatever you like for this. I'm fully convinced Trump wants to lose this election and the extraordinary discovery is he can't go far enough to lose the white supremacist base. He's trying to throw it but the old white vote is forgiving him every trespass. See: Evangelicals. I haven't seen Trump as a faithful candidate for at least six weeks, perhaps longer.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Spacedad posted:

He's a Reagan era fanboy but represents the cynical superficial rich assholes who benefited under Reagan.

He also lacks his actor's charm and talent - he comes across in everything like a meanspirited con man to everyone but his credulous supporters.

Oh and unlike Trump, Reagan actually had political experience by the time he ran.

Yeah. Trump likes to think he's Reagan, as do his followers, but as bad as Reagan was, Trump is just a pale imitation of the idea with no understanding of what made him popular.

Axetrain posted:

Yeah whenever people talk about the GOP changing platforms or getting rid of XYZ demographic they don't mention how this is to be done. The party is stuck between an assortment of rocks and hard places that doesn't really let them do that with out shedding huge amounts of their voters.

Cutting out the rot of their party doesn't leave them with much of a party left. It's their own fault for driving off everyone but the dying and monstrous over the years.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Call me naive or whatever you like for this. I'm fully convinced Trump wants to lose this election and the extraordinary discovery is he can't go far enough to lose the white supremacist base. He's trying to throw it but the old white vote is forgiving him every trespass. See: Evangelicals. I haven't seen Trump as a faithful candidate for at least six weeks, perhaps longer.

Trump was a bigot long before this election. Even if he wasn't and just played on for power, I doubt that he'd pick now to grow a conscience and principles. No, he's a narcissist on the greatest high of his life and will do anything to keep it going.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 29, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That would involve sacrificing power now to ensure long-term stability. The only reason we're at this point is that the Republican party has proven that it is literally unable to do that.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

It's pretty amusing to watch them sometimes realize they need to bolster their ranks and then also realize that they despise everyone who isn't already them. The only "outreach" they are capable of is insulting and patronizing people for not voting the same way they do and offering these people absolutely nothing.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

Trump was a bigot long before this election. Even if he wasn't and just played on for power, I doubt that he'd pick now to grow a conscience and principles. No, he's a narcissist on the greatest high of his life and will do anything to keep it going.
I know he was. In no way am I suggesting he's any less narcissistic now than he's always been. He can throw the election and do so for the most narcissistic reason: Fame and money and prestige. He's already said he can only lose through a rigged election. His supporters will see his defeat as nothing but a stolen election (just look at his crowds, how could he lose, say the people who do not understand or care to understand about the electoral college or swing states.)

He has not yet nor will he grow a conscience, or principles. He is alligator-brain smart enough to know that his shtick can only carry him so far. Look at what he's doing. He's showing up in states where he's either a guaranteed win or a guaranteed loss. Look at him pulling out of appearances. He is not in any way trying to convince the undecided. His "attempt" to win black voters was to insult them. He's baldly stated he wants to foist the work of POTUS off to his VP and others. That's just a tiny start.

I didn't think this needed explanation. The guy knows he'll make back his lost money and be a bigger star for "having this election stolen from him" and that's all he wants. He's probably setting the stage for his kids to do the same in the future.

Theory: Trump is campaigning to lose this election and we're now seeing indications of a Clinton landslide of historic proportions, even if the polls are early. I expect he'll throw the debates after what looks like a strong start. It's theater to line his pockets and aggrandize him and his family.

Let's see where it goes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Nah, small-l libertarian ideas are only slightly more popular than drinking actual poison. That's why the Republicans needed to turn to the Southern Strategy and bible-thumping in the first place, nobody wanted to bust their own unions and price themselves out of health care and destroyed their own retirement; they had to be tricked into thinking that was only going to happen to blacks/gays/unwed mothers.

The guy who won wasn't just the most racist candidate, he's also the one who dispensed with the unpopular rhetoric of endless blowjobs to corporations. It's a lot more likely the Republicans careen towards national socialism or The Handmaid's Tale because either of those blocs are bigger than a coalition of the top 0.1% and suburban libertarian neckbeards dumb enough to think they will all be in the top 0.1%

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 29, 2016

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

I know he was. In no way am I suggesting he's any less narcissistic now than he's always been. He can throw the election and do so for the most narcissistic reason: Fame and money and prestige.

But Dr. Faustus, do you really believe that a man would be willing to forever surrender his moral integrity for such temporal benefits as money and power?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I see what you did, there.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kenzie posted:

What the hell is it with alt-right nerds and anime? I don't watch anime so is there something in there that appeals to fascists? Looking in the alt-right twitter world, like with the people harassing Leslie Jones, there are legions of anime avatars screaming about SJWs and blah blah.

Are we facing a jackbooted fascist movement marching under the banner of a cutesy little nazi anime girl?

It's because the American cultural mainstream is manifestly hostile to neonazis, and anime is not part of that mainstream, especially not when removed from its original context and floating about on the internet, so neonazis can effectively claim it without being told to gently caress off by its creators, because its creators live in Japan and don't speak English. Much of it also is made to appeal to sad lonely nerds, so, well, you get the idea

Samovar posted:

I have honestly been wondering if the reason I dislike anime is because I'm somehow a chauvinist, because I have not seen a single one, not movie, not series I can say I liked. The closest to that would have been the Wind Also Rises, which was pretty much non-fiction to begin with.

Hell, the only one I've seen whose character design I didn't loathe was JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, because all characters were drawn grotesquely, and even then I thought it was aggressively mediocre.

You're not necessarily a racist if you don't like anime, but my experience has been that a whole lot of people who don't like anime also happen to be racists and/or orientalists, which tends to show itself more clearly when the discussion turns to the country itself rather than media. See the tidal wave of people ITT saying "here's some thin evidence and anecdotes, but we KNOW Japan is a fascist borg-hivemind nation, loving nips lol"

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 29, 2016

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Has anyone heard about "fox news letting it slip that Megyn Kelly is a traitor"? I have several friends that have posted about it on Facebook but they have not linked anything. I searched online but there were only alt-right websites popping up. Did she accept a new position at a different network when her contract runs out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Spacedad posted:

Vice put up a rather good and detailed article regarding the tactics of the alt-right and how people are mounting resistance to their bullshit:

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/26/126534..._source=twitter

Glad to see that more people are becoming aware of the alt-right practice using harassment and then crying crocodile tears of 'censorship' when they get banned. (Only to swing back with more vicious harassment, and escalate.)

Honestly I think the reason why things are so bad right now is that trump is giving this fringe a bigger mouthpiece than they deserve. After the election (and after a lot more of social media starts clamping down on their abusive tactics) they're going to lose a lot of their influence in in a manner similar to trump's other ventures all fizzling out after a lot of bluster.

I don't think that this is an alt-right practice. It's just that since its online its hard to fall back on "both sides are bad."

This is the exact same tactic college republicans have used for a while.David Horowitz once went to speak at a college campus while being paid by the college. While there, he insulted the leader of the Black Student Alliance and said a bunch of other controversial crap. After the controversy, the college republicans decided to ask for funding a second time to bring Horowitz to "debate." The university said "no, we are not going to pay for the same speaker twice in a calendar year" and the story became about censorship and universities banning conservatives.

Earlier this year college republicans went crazy at Emory's campus writing Trump's name all over the place, including doors, handrails, classroom walls and so on. Emory cleaned up the non-authorized spaces and college republicans were able to spin that into a story of students feeling triggered by Trump signs and demanding Emory to erase all that. Even the nightly show bought into the narrative, which, it turns out, was mostly false.

http://www.snopes.com/emory-students-trump-graffiti/

The thing with the alt-right is that since its online its easier to verify its false. But the "provoke until the reaction allows us to claim we are the real victims" has been standard operation procedure for a while.