Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Asproigerosis posted:

do russian destroyers eventually become non garbage?

There are two prevailing theories. One says it gets good at 4 and 5, is bad at 6, then good at 7 onwards, the other says it gets good at 6 onwards. Pick which experience is relevant to you.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

Yes, they get accurate long-range guns with AP capable of punching through cruiser armour. Kite enemies like a bitch and watch them rage.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
The Khabarovsk is the most bullshit ship in the game right now. Obscenely fast, overpowered guns and stealth firing. You cant catch them or see them.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Well, that was a thing. Bayern game with all the other BBs lemming-training into the corner. I proceeded to rage at them a bit and bought time. Then I defend myself against a DD and some derp tries to teamkill me for "stealing" the kill. I laugh at him in chat and then after the match, I received this:

:allears:

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Magni posted:

Well, that was a thing. Bayern game with all the other BBs lemming-training into the corner. I proceeded to rage at them a bit and bought time. Then I defend myself against a DD and some derp tries to teamkill me for "stealing" the kill. I laugh at him in chat and then after the match, I received this:

:allears:

I actually have to agree with him after seeing your screen shots. What the ever loving Christ??!!!!!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

El Disco posted:

You mean Basic Firing Training? No get the Survivability one, because like all BBs you're going to be set on fire a lot and that skill makes the burning end quicker. But when you eventually get a 15pt captain, Manual Secondary Control is a good choice.

Yeah, sorry...I couldn't remember what it was called. That was my instinct, so I went ahead with Basics of Survivability.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I just logged in and I have 83,000 free XP, what just happened?

EDIT: Oh I have my Texas too, looks like my referral hit T6 I guess?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Asproigerosis posted:

I can't answer this; however, I can take a moment to comment (yeah, I know, Russian company) that the Soviet navy during this time period sucked. It's ships were all hand me downs from other countries, or un-modernized pre-Dreadnoughts and Dreadnoughts from the imperial era, most of which acted as floating artillery (encased in concrete) during the siege of Leningrad.

So the inclusion of the Russian/Soviet navy as a primary national tech tree always seemed dumb to me.

And the exclusion of the Royal Navy and the German Imperial Navy/Kriegsmarine in favor of the Russians is why I just started playing this game a week ago.

Okay, my grognard rant is over. Go about your business collecting a useful answer to your question.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Asproigerosis posted:

Kiev is fantastic once upgraded, Tashkent is so-so (but not a bad ship, just no upgrade from the Kiev, except for it's torps).

And then you get the obscenities at T9 and 10 and you realize how it all was worth it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Krogort posted:

I just love it when there is a full bomber Ranger in my team with a 300 battle Saipan in the opposite team.
Before the game has ever started you know you will lose, and our Ranger did, of course, not disapoint.
The Saipan had the sky for him and was free to torp us all 1 by 1 while completely locking down our Ranger that kept whining in chat. And didn't even try a bomb-run midgame when the saipan had 1800hp left after en encounter with our fletcher.

I had my first 1v1 fight with an AS Saipan yesterday in my Hiryuu, it was painful as gently caress. I was strike, so only two fighter squadrons (that's usually enough, god dammit!) and I didn't have Dogfighting Expert because come on, that poo poo is usually worthless.

Still killed three ships, but I couldn't do anything about his fighters perma-spotting our DDs and getting them all sunk. I strafed two of his squadrons at once and only got a single plane kill :negative:

Burt posted:

I actually have to agree with him after seeing your screen shots. What the ever loving Christ??!!!!!

Anime is Good

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 28, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ZombieLenin posted:

So the inclusion of the Russian/Soviet navy as a primary national tech tree always seemed dumb to me.

And the exclusion of the Royal Navy and the German Imperial Navy/Kriegsmarine in favor of the Russians is why I just started playing this game a week ago.

Even the Russian players don't care about the Russian Navy, which made it a pretty huge backfire considering it was their last big chance to crack the US market after the failure of Warplanes.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

NTRabbit posted:

Even the Russian players don't care about the Russian Navy, which made it a pretty huge backfire considering it was their last big chance to crack the US market after the failure of Warplanes.

probably because the russian navy was just rowboats during the Great Patriotic War with subsequent post war build up of a real navy being boring because of the death of naval combat and rise of missile warfare.

Are they even going to pretend to try to make a russian carrier tree?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Asproigerosis posted:

probably because the russian navy was just rowboats during the Great Patriotic War with subsequent post war build up of a real navy being boring because of the death of naval combat and rise of missile warfare.

I meant that people have said the Russian server was as perplexed and disappointed by the decision to go Russian before RN or Kriegsmarine as we were.

And sure, I can't see why they wouldn't if they can find enough old paperwork, same as the entire cruiser line past the dreadnought era, f.ex http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/1647-list-of-soviet-cvs-projects/

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm pretty sure there are pictures of carriers by a naval engineer who went mad and started to scribble on the walls of his cell. So, you know, perfectly viable designs.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
There might not be any Russian carrier plane designs lying around though.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

I thought the Gnevny at tier 5 was extremely strong. Its only real weakness is the slow traverse on the turrets makes it hard to keep firing while dodging. Makes me really wish I had bought the premium version when they put it on sale. The Kiev and Udaloi are also way better than their counterparts in the IJN and USN trees. And the Khabarovsk is flat out ridiculous.

You just have to realize they arent played the same way as the other DDs. You generally shouldnt rush into caps at the start of the game. If possible, follow a stealthier DD to objectives. If enemy DDs try to ambush him, counter-ambush them.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Italian and french trees should have been way before russian. Serb needs to really learn up on how to properly capitalism.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Vengarr posted:

There was, at the very least, a Sturmovik design that could carry torpedoes.

e: Really it'd be the same as the Germans, navalised versions of planes from the air force

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 28, 2016

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Asproigerosis posted:

I was in a div with 2 udaloi and a fletcher last night.

I think I came multiple times, and that was before I upgraded it.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

jownzy posted:

I was in a div with 2 udaloi and a fletcher last night.

I think I came multiple times, and that was before I upgraded it.

Last night I ended up facing a Khab/Udaloi in an almost-stock Tashkent (had the hull, at least). That... didn't last long. That endgame gun upgrade, drat. I hope I at least get to the Udaloi before they get nerfed into the ground.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Asproigerosis posted:

Italian and french trees should have been way before russian. Serb needs to really learn up on how to properly capitalism.

Never underestimate the logic of rich Slavs when it comes to using their position and bank accounts to 'slight' others.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

What the actual gently caress?

Also this:

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 28, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Steven Seagal has to be an ambassador for Warships because he won't fit in planes or tanks anymore.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

NTRabbit posted:

There are two prevailing theories. One says it gets good at 4 and 5, is bad at 6, then good at 7 onwards, the other says it gets good at 6 onwards. Pick which experience is relevant to you.

I'd say they get good at 4. I've had as many as 11 torpedo hits in the Izyaslav. Remember, it only sucks compared to higher tier stuff. And you'll be doing the game a service by teaching pubbie BB drivers about torpedoes.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Steven Seagal has to be an ambassador for Warships because he won't fit in planes or tanks anymore.

That explains the currywurst's massive size.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I presume the farragut c hull is a waste?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Vengarr posted:

They could just stick Yak-38s on everything, considering what a colossal piece of poo poo that plane was.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

LostCosmonaut posted:

They could just stick Yak-38s on everything, considering what a colossal piece of poo poo that plane was.

Hmmm Yak-38, I'm not familiar with that one...

Wikipedia posted:

The Yak-38's limited useful payload was always its Achilles' heel, and the high ambient temperatures that had been encountered in the Black Sea during the summer 1976 trials frequently prevented the aircraft from carrying any external stores at all, despite a reduced fuel load. Similar problems were then encountered when Minsk sailed off the coast of West Africa and then in the Indian Ocean; in these instances the lift jets proved unwilling to start under hot and humid conditions. An oxygen-boosting intake system helped alleviate the problem, and was installed from September 1979 during routine overhauls. In July 1979, Minsk arrived in the Sea of Japan, where the vessel was home-ported at Strelok Bay, the Yak-38 component of its air wing thereafter being provided by the 311 OKShAP subordinate to the Pacific Fleet.

During April and May 1980, four Yak-38s and four AV-MF pilots were deployed to Afghanistan as part of a 50-day trial codenamed Romb-1, although the 'hot and high' conditions prevented any meaningful combat missions from being undertaken – in total, 12 combat sorties were made, but only two 100 kg (220 lb) bombs could be carried.

Hahahaha holy poo poo you weren't kidding.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Now how shocked would you be to learn that the F-35B V/TOL version is largely based on the prototype Yak-141, of which the Yak-38 was considered to be the early model or stepping stone.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 28, 2016

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

NTRabbit posted:

Now how shocked would you be to learn that the F-35B V/TOL version is largely based on the prototype Yak-141, of which the Yak-38 was considered to be the early model or stepping stone.

That explains a lot, really

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Asproigerosis posted:

I presume the farragut c hull is a waste?

You can take Defensive Fire as a consumable... In place of smoke.

So, yeah

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
When I see pink colored players, what does that mean?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ZombieLenin posted:

Team killer

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

ZombieLenin posted:

Someone drove in front of their torps.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

NTRabbit posted:

Team killer

Asproigerosis posted:

Someone drove in front of their torps.

So they load into the next match team killable then?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
No, they just get increased friendly fire penalties for 5 games. Red people are ones you can free kill.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

So they load into the next match team killable then?

No. Teamkilling a TKer still gives you the punishment. The color is just there as a warning. Also, if he keeps damaging his teammates, the damage will gradually get refleted back to his ship instead and if he keeps it up at that point, he gets auto-banned.

Magni fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 29, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Vengarr posted:

You can take Defensive Fire as a consumable... In place of smoke.

So, yeah

Now granted it's been a long time since I've played the Farragut, but I'm pretty sure this is wrong. On every other DD in the game with the option, Defensive Fire replaces Engine Boost. Smoke is only replaced by that IJN torp reload thing that nobody ever uses.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The funny thing about the Yak-38 is that they theoretically could add the Kiev in as a "boss" ship. It only carries 12 anti-ship missiles and guns that have only about a 7.5km effective range. The torpedoes from the ASW helps would be more dangerous than the planes.

Once the air component was dead and the ASMs expended, it'd be a turkey shoot for direct fire ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Magni posted:

No. Temakilling a tker still gives you the punishment. The color is jsut there as a warning. Also, if he keeps damaging his teammates, the damage will gradually get refleted back to his ship instead and if he keeps it up at that point, he gets auto-banned.

It isn't gradual. As soon as you are pink, you get reflected damage for any more team damage.

I know this because I watched a guy in a cruiser yell at wdarkk in a battleship for getting in front of him. Thing is, said cruiser was chucking a volley of he which set dark on fire. Dark just let it tick till the guy turned pink. Then the guy started taking that fire damage in reflection. Now, for those unaware of how fire and flood damage works, it isn't a fixed amount. It is actually a percentage of your total health. This means the guy was taking 1k/s damage from the fire he set on dark because of dark's larger hp pool.