Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Mitch Fifield posted:

It was the constant refrain of the Government in the last few weeks of Parliamentary sitting – that the Opposition should just “get out of the way” and pass through Parliament the legislation ...

But, upon reflection, the Government’s rhetoric on this issue is one of the more bizarre political tactics to have emerged this year.

The suggestion that the Opposition should have clapped and cheered for the Government while they attempted to ram legislation through Parliament with as little scrutiny as possible flies in the face of the democratic tenets upon which our political system was built.

The fact is that oppositions exist to perform a crucial democratic function in ensuring government accountability.

In most Western liberal democracies, oppositions and the news media are the key institutions that maintain scrutiny of government expenditure and keep governments accountable to those who elected them.

It is all too easy for a government to forget that the money in the Federal Treasury coffers that they splash around daily are the hard-earned dollars of every-day Australians.

They expect their money to be spent well, and they want to know that they are benefiting from the policies being implemented with their dollars.

It is the Opposition’s role to continually remind the Government of their duty to the Australian voter and taxpayer.

Sorry, I guess that was a different context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Why do so many journalists pray for dictatorships?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

:supaburn:

goddammit Xenophons' going to support the pleb

they still need 6 other votes in the senate, right? anyone know how one nation will vote?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
One nation supports
Hynch against.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Amanda Vanstone may be published but she's hardly a journalist

Plutoidmoon
Apr 1, 2011

Organza Quiz posted:

It's a choice between the lesser of two evils. Personally I feel like the damage that a plebiscite campaign is likely to do to (especially young/closeted) queer people is worse than the good of probably having marriage equality sooner. The Liberal party seems to be doing pretty good at tearing themselves to pieces even without holding the plebiscite and I don't think it's worth the heartache.

I'm a trans lesbian and when I was I high school (2005-2010) the thing that upset me most wasn't people saying blatantly homophobic or transphobic stuff, but rather when supposedly progressive politicians legitimized it by being against gay marriage. I felt (and still feel) that gay marriage was a good litmus test for acceptance of LGBT people generally, So when supposedly progressive politicians like Julia Gillard or Penny Wong came out against it, I was destroyed. That's why I see all this concern over the mental health of young people's mental health as the politicking that it is. Because these same people didn't give a drat about my mental health.

These days I feel that not having gay marriage is ultimately more damaging than a plebiscite would be. Because every queer person knows bigots are out there and think these things but its only when its institutionalized that it really hurts.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The plebiscite is non binding and several mps have explicitly stated they'll be voting against SSM instead of with the outcome. Its a bullshit red herring.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Anidav posted:

One nation supports
Hynch against.

Is One Nation's thinking that the plebiscite would turn out a 'no' response/we will just vote against it if it turns up 'yes' anyway/we just want an opportunity to hang poo poo on LGBT people?

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 29, 2016

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

But surely she doesn't expect to play Prime Minister unscrutinised. Surely she expects Parliament to do its job.

It is in nobody's interest to just let a government play, unchecked, with public funds. When governments get value for that money, we are all better off. When they waste it, we all lose.

Those who most need a government to run the economy well, to manage its spending well and to get value for money are those at the lowest end of the socio-economic spectrum.

When the economy is mismanaged, the really well-off miss out on an overseas trip or lose value on assets - shares, the beach house or whatever. The less well-off lose their job, maybe their house. And many never recover.

Keeping a check on the government is that important.

Amanda Vanstone, 2011

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

One Nation is for a plebiscite at the next election, though.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

SynthOrange posted:

The plebiscite is non binding and several mps have explicitly stated they'll be voting against SSM instead of with the outcome. Its a bullshit red herring.

Have you got references I can throw at people who think the plebiscite is a good idea? I know Cory Bernardi's said he'd still vota against it, any others?

Edit: Zed Seselja said he'd abstain from a vote.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 29, 2016

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jan/27/coalition-divided-as-cory-bernardi-says-hell-never-support-same-sex-marriage

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Christensen won't admit it but he'd probably vote against it.
Also http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-28/bridget-mckenzie-vows-to-vote-against-same-sex-marriage/7120460
and “I would need to determine whether [the plebiscite] really is an accurate reflection [of the national view], whether it is all above board or whether the question is stacked, whether all sides received public funding,” he told Guardian Australia. https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jan/27/eric-abetz-coalition-mps-will-not-be-bound-by-plebiscite-on-marriage-equality

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

open24hours posted:

Also http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-28/bridget-mckenzie-vows-to-vote-against-same-sex-marriage/7120460
and “I would need to determine whether [the plebiscite] really is an accurate reflection [of the national view], whether it is all above board or whether the question is stacked, whether all sides received public funding,” he told Guardian Australia. https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jan/27/eric-abetz-coalition-mps-will-not-be-bound-by-plebiscite-on-marriage-equality

This sounds like someone who knows he is friendless and has decided 'gently caress it, I'm going to be a pain in the arse', it isn't the only thing Christensen is threatening. I sincerely hope he is kicked out of the party, there's no room for independent thinkers in the LNP.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Oh I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you!

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/mixed-reaction-to-east-kimberley-cashless/7793614

quote:

Mixed reaction to East Kimberley cashless welfare cards Monday 29 August 2016 8:06AM (view full episode)

A few months in to the trail of cashless welfare cards in Wyndham and Kununurra, some community members say they're difficult to use and open to rorting. About 1,200 East Kimberley residents are taking part in the trial, which sees 80 per cent of welfare payments quarantined from use for gambling or alcohol. After four months, reaction to the trial is mixed. Some residents say they've seen a decrease in binge drinking, while others remain opposed to a card that they've been forced in to using.

Growing_ironicat.gif

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/penny-wong/7793430

quote:

Penny Wong says Malcolm Turnbull 'lacks political courage' to deliver marriage equality Monday 29 August 2016 7:46AM (view full episode)

Labor has toughened its stance against a marriage equality plebiscite saying it would be 'unnecessary, expensive and divisive'. But the Opposition is yet to make a final decision whether to block the enabling legislation in the Senate. To do so would almost certainly mean killing off any chance of marriage equality in this term of Parliament. Opposition Leader in the Senate Penny Wong joins Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast.

And lol at the 35 or what ever it is wheelbarrow of legislation they are putting before this parliament immediately. Talk about putting clown makeup on a corpse. Every time one of these muppets blames the other side for anything they need to be reminded that this is their second term. At some point you have to be the ones responsible for what is happening in the country you govern. Or is that only in your third term?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

open24hours posted:

Yeah, I don't think that's in doubt. By "whether the plebiscite really is an accurate reflection," he means that he's already made up his mind about what Australia really wants (no marriage for same-sex couples). If the plebiscite came up 'no' he would cite that as his proof, if it came up 'yes' (which seems likely) he would go on about how the plebiscite wasn't done properly and thus is invalid. He's couched it in so many conditionals that he can make up whatever bullshit excuse he wants.

edit: is this issue going to gently caress Malcolm whichever way it goes?

If the plebiscite goes through and turns up a 'yes' vote, he's still going to have shitheels in his own party who vote 'no.' He's going to have wasted however much money to turn up a result that doesn't mean anything - even if the Australian people say yes, his own MPs are going to vote against a parliamentary vote and claim Malc's going against their deeply-held convictions if he tries to force them.

If the plebiscite goes through and turns up 'no,' it's still not settled - as more time goes by, the public sentiment is going further and further toward support for SSM. You can bet the opposition are going to continue pressing him for as long as he's in government.

If the plebiscite continues to be held up, or is routinely voted down in the parliament, it means Malcolm hasn't been able to do poo poo about it. He can go on the offensive and say that Labor and the Greens are holding up the plebiscite, but the simple answer (and the one that Labor + the Greens are already pushing) is that it should just be done through parliament and why are you dragging this out Malcolm, show some leadership.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 29, 2016

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
That's pretty handy.

Andrew Hastie's quote is brilliant...the man has no idea how our representative democracy is supposed to work.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

Why do so many journalists pray for dictatorships?

Because the desire for certainty and stability is very deep seated in humanity.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Narrator posted:

If the plebiscite goes through and turns up a 'yes' vote, he's still going to have shitheels in his own party who vote 'no.' He's going to have wasted however much money to turn up a result that doesn't mean anything - even if the Australian people say yes, his own MPs are going to vote against a parliamentary vote and claim Malc's going against their deeply-held convictions if he tries to force them.
He won't have to force them though. Enough Liberals support SSM that it would pass in a free vote at the moment; all the plebiscite does is give them a fig leaf.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He won't have to force them though. Enough Liberals support SSM that it would pass in a free vote at the moment; all the plebiscite does is give them a fig leaf.

Yeah, granted. I don't think the objector 'no' vote would be enough to hold it back, but it still looks idiotic and like he's not in control of his own party.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fed...829-gr3crv.html

quote:

Senate powerbroker Nick Xenophon has delivered a potentially fatal blow to the Turnbull government's plan to hold a public vote on same-sex marriage.

The South Australian independent and his newly elected team of senators announced on Monday the party would not support a plebiscite, days after the Greens said they would vote to block the vote in the Senate.

"This is a matter that the Parliament can and should decide on as a free vote of all members and senators," the Xenophon MPs said in a statement.

"In our representative democracy we are paid to make decisions on behalf of Australians who have voted us into office. This is a decision the Parliament should make now."

"We believe this money could be better spent," the statement said.

"Each of us supports marriage equality and we are ready to vote accordingly."

On Friday, the plebiscite entered the political death zone as the Greens committed to voting against the legislation needed to hold it.

Labor is expected to oppose the plebiscite but is yet to finalise its position.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well color me surprised. Thanks Dr Nick!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

owned, lnpailures

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Well color me surprised. Thanks Dr Nick!

Hi Everybody!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cmon dont gently caress this one up Shorten.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

So what are the rules on introducing private members bills or bills from opposition? Make Turnbull squirm.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

SynthOrange posted:

http://alexanderlozada.com/iasip/?IlNob3J0ZW4gRnVja3MgVGhpcyBPbmUgVXAi

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Get em'!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

~~Change From Within

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

So what are the rules on introducing private members bills or bills from opposition? Make Turnbull squirm.

It'd have to pass a committee before even being considered, which would probably need to get the manager of government business in the house to agree, or force a division to table/read the bill (which would require a majority to work)

Long version: http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliam...145FA8A68C&_z=z

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Wasn't Van Badham saying that the Greens opposing the plebiscite a bad thing a couple of days ago?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Freudian Slip posted:

Wasn't Van Badham saying that the Greens opposing the plebiscite a bad thing a couple of days ago?

That's because the greens are bad, ergo anything they do is bad.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Nazis vs. Nazis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUggo3t5tvU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mr Chips posted:

It'd have to pass a committee before even being considered, which would probably need to get the manager of government business in the house to agree, or force a division to table/read the bill (which would require a majority to work)

Long version: http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliam...145FA8A68C&_z=z

Even worse, the fine print is that even if the Select Committee allows it, by convention, it doesn't get the time normally given to a bill reading, and the government may well force the Member to be responsible for it all the way into the Senate and back. Rarely does an Opposition private members bill ever get up, and it's even more fraught for a Government. The aim is to discourage non-Party activity of course.

But given that, some important legislation has been passed via private members bills. It's just that those bills tend to be in the interests of Government and/or MPs in general. We've already mentioned compulsory voting here, it was private precisely because the Government of the time didn't want it to look partisan. That's often the reason.

See here.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 29, 2016

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Scott Morrison's car-crash logic and the real story behind the 'taxed-nots'
Greg Jericho

Last week, in the lead up to the new parliament, the treasurer Scott Morrison sought to outline his economic vision. Unfortunately, rather than provide any clear ideas of where he sees the nation’s economy heading, the speech was a mishmash of internal inconsistencies, statistical misreadings, and statements which made less sense the more you paid attention to them.

The big take away from the speech was Morrison’s desire to ape Joe Hockey’s outlook of the world as being divided into two types. Where Joe Hockey talked of “lifters and leaners” Scott Morrison has decided that “there is a new divide – the taxed and the taxed nots”.

Sigh.

I guess then we can also say that there is a new divide in treasurers – those who simplistically view the world through ill-thought out binary oppositions, and those who don’t.

Morrison’s shtick about net-taxpayers comes from the finding by the National Centre for Social and Economic Modelling (Natsem) that 53% of households in Australia are net taxpayers – down from 56% in 2005.

Now suggesting that this means “more Australians are ... likely today to be net beneficiaries of the government than contributors” as Morrison did is dopey enough, but the treasurer went further. He argued it meant “on current settings, more Australians today are likely to go through their entire lives without ever paying tax than for generations”.

The problem is the Natsem modelling is a snapshot. It doesn’t look at people’s paying of tax throughout their lifetime.

Morrison’s use of the snapshot to suggest things about people’s lifetimes would be like looking at the current unemployment rate of 5.7% and saying the rate means you have a 5.7% chance of being unemployed at some point in your life.

Thus the treasurer arguing that “more Australians” are “never paying more tax than they receive in government payments” is a gross exaggeration.

Never? Really, treasurer?

The Natsem data shows the major reason for the decline in the number of net-taxpayers is the ageing population. While 53% of Australians are net-taxpayers, when you exclude those over 65 the figure rises to 67%:

Of course the overall rate of net-taxpayers is falling – since the start of the century the percentage of the Australian population over 65 has gone from 12.4% to 15%.

I look forward to Morrison suggesting we need to do something about those taxed-not pensioners.

But no.

Morrison didn’t even use his assertions to make a strong case for his changes to the taxation of superannuation – clearly one area where the “taxed-not” could be taxed more.

All he did was meekly refer to “improving the flexibility of superannuation” – a phrase so feeble that the only thing it lacks more than meaning is any conviction by Morrison towards his own policy.

Rather his target is “reining in the growth in welfare spending”.

Let us not forget that the most recent data from the department of social security shows the number of those on welfare has declined over the past 15 years:

And the one longitudinal study (that is, looking at how things change over the course of lifetimes) in Australia, the Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia (Hilda) Survey by the Melbourne Institute, also fails to support the treasurer’s line of attack.

The latest survey report for the 2013-14 financial year found that 32% of individuals aged 18–64 were living in a household that received income support at some stage in that year – well down on the 38% of individuals in 2001.

The rest of Morrison’s speech was not much better for logical strength.

He spoke of some good sense about the fragilities of the Chinese economy – though when Morrison says “in China, events may prove far less predictable” one wonders how that stacks up against the prediction he made in parliament last year of the “prosperity and jobs that [the China-Australia free-trade] agreement will deliver”.

But elsewhere he struggled to stay consistent.

For example, he argued on the one hand that we must “get debt under control by returning the budget to balance through disciplined expenditure restraint”, but he later noted that “we have kept expenditure under control” and yet also that “expenditure as a share of the economy remains stubbornly high”.

So we must restrain our spending which is under control and stubbornly high?

He also suffered from having foolishly said last year in his first press conference that “we have a spending problem, not a revenue problem”.

Now he noted that forecasts for nominal GDP growth in the past two years were reduced from 5.25% to 2.5% due to “the reduction in the terms of trade, commodity prices, in wages and in profits”.

That reduction flows through to lower revenue via company and personal income tax. But Morrison cannot bring himself to admit error; thus he termed this not as a “revenue problem” but an “earnings problem”.

It’s a bit like saying you never called someone short, just that they lacked height.

Elsewhere he demonstrated his ability to say things, which, like an M. Night Shyamalan film, collapse the moment you subject them to any thought.

He agreed with “those in the banking sector who have said they believe the key to making this cultural shift is to restore banking as a profession”.

So banking is not a profession now, but it once was? When did it stop? And if that means something has gone wrong, why did Morrison also suggest that “we are in even better shape today when it comes to the resilience of our banking and financial system than we have ever been”?

So our bankers are no longer acting like professionals, and yet our banking system is in better shape today than ever before?

But perhaps the biggest logical car crash came near the beginning of the speech when, after outlining that Australians are becoming too complacent and have been split into the taxed and not-taxed, he asked:

“Are we more interested in preserving the benefits of what the past 30 years of economic reform has given us, than relinquishing and reinvesting some of those dividends to create a stronger economy for both our own future and the generations that follow?”

Is Morrison actually saying we shouldn’t be interested in preserving the benefits of the past 30 years of “reform”?

And if he really is saying that we need to give up “the benefits” of this reform in order to create a stronger economy, that doesn’t say much for the worth of all that reform. So we have had 30 years of reform which delivered benefits that now need to be relinquished so we can have a stronger economy?

And what exactly are “the benefits”? Is Morrison suggesting the benefit of economic reform was welfare and people being taxed-not? If that is the case, then again, doesn’t that suggest the reform was basically a failure, given Morrison views welfare as a negative and decries the numbers of the taxed-not?

Or is he just saying we need to give up the benefits of reform in order to have more reform in order to benefit again later on?

What a scintillating sales pitch. And people wonder why voters are sceptical when they hear politicians talk about the need for reform.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
It's also worth remembering that the plebiscite was the Abbott government's way of defusing the issue internally and putting it off for next election.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wake up and smell the ashes

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
what actually goes through the heads of people like ScoMo or Hockey while they sit at their desk? Is it just "I must gently caress the poors" because I can't see any other reason for the bullshit they keep spewing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If only all theses parasites were dead they'd be free to drive the economy on to new greatness, therefore...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

starkebn posted:

what actually goes through the heads of people like ScoMo or Hockey while they sit at their desk? Is it just "I must gently caress the poors" because I can't see any other reason for the bullshit they keep spewing.

I'm thinking more of the cut away in Homer Simpson's head with an old black and white cartoon playing in his brain

• Locked thread