Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Chris Benoit motto!

Unprotected chair shots are chastised for a reason, wrestlers pick up nasty as hell injuries all the time but smashing someone over the head repeatedly with actual chairs for years is a pretty good way of muddling their brain into mush.

Yes it's not healthy to be hit with a chair that's why it's a powerful statement to hit someone with a chair and these people should be applauded for their bravery and allowed to hit each other with whatever is entertaining to everybody watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Yes it's not healthy to be hit with a chair that's why it's a powerful statement to hit someone with a chair and these people should be applauded for their bravery and allowed to hit each other with whatever is entertaining to everybody watching.

let me introduce you to CZW

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

DJExile posted:

let me introduce you to CZW

I backyard wrestled as a teen (shut up) and I can tell you that it does not hurt being put through a table. Putting someone through one however...

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

When I say 'dropped', what I mean is that my CarrySpeed sling strap waited until I was scrambling over rocks to let me know that the ball-joint could slip out of the retaining nut even when it was fully tightened. But 'dropped' results in the same thing.

A few weeks old at this point, but a photographer on another forum I'm part of cracked a D4s body and possibly totaled a 300mm 2.8 when the same thing happened to him recently. He noted CarrySpeed is no longer in business, for good reason it seems!

Ouch

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

noooooooooooooooooo :gonk:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
That does suck, but for what it's worth, if the internals didn't get jostled and the only damage to the 300 is the front element, the image quality might still be much better than you'd expect. For reference: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches/

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003
Yeah, the guy posted a picture using the lens, with similar results. Hazy in a corner and still reasonably sharp, although he didn't try it under a very controlled environment. Checked the post again and he's waiting on evaluation from Nikon.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
DSC03956-2 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This is good.

This is really good.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

This is the kind of sports pictures I love to see.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Please excuse my total lack of knowledge of sports photography.

IMG_1609 by Hannah, on Flickr

IMG_1551 by Hannah, on Flickr

IMG_1601 by Hannah, on Flickr

IMG_1491 by Hannah, on Flickr

IMG_1463 by Hannah, on Flickr

Bromine
Sep 1, 2003

This is how you funsling, Brett.
I've played around with photography on and off for over a year and the past few weeks I've been super into it. I've been consuming as much information as I can and I want to try a lot of stuff. I want to try shooting sports but my gear is modest and I live in a small town. I have a D5200 with the 18-55, 35, a 50 (older lens so no AF on my body), and a 70-300 with VR. The being in a small town means that the only sports there are to see are youth sports and school sports. There's a rec men's flag football league, too, I'm sure I'll go shoot that. Is it even possible to be just some amateur who wants to practice without creeping all the parents out? Are there any good videos/guides/tips on the basics of shooting sports? I know football pretty well so I figure I could at least know where to point the camera and when. Anyway, love the pictures in this thread, especially the wrestling ones.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bromine posted:

Is it even possible to be just some amateur who wants to practice without creeping all the parents out?

Yes, as long as you get permission from the teams or parents themselves.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Back again with the wrestling, the whole day felt really hectic so these arn't up to my usual standards but oh well!

Full album here

Hell or High Water by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Hell or High Water by bang3rachi, on Flickr (feat WWE CWC Superstar Damian Slater)

EPWHOHW287 by bang3rachi, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Confused referees are my favorite

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Confused referees are my favorite

Same

(wtf wrestling)

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Went to a rodeo yesterday (I live in Slovakia, so this is not how I expected to spend a weekend).

untitled-327.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-423.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-679.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The first two seem to have the horse in focus but not the rider, which is a shame because I love the expression on the top guy. I'm sure that has to drive a camera's focus nuts though.

Really dig the 3rd.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

bikes bikes bikes

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I like the 2nd a bunch

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Thanks!

I'm really trying to work on the environmental shots to capture some of the trail feel - what doesn't work for you about the others? I have a number of self-critiques but would appreciate the input.

If some context helps the third was supposed to convey spectating more than riding. Is there something other than not-having-blown-highlights that you feel would help here? The fourth is a coaching shot, hence the inclusion of the person in the background with the funny posture.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The first is pretty good too, but the second is the winner of the bunch. It's got pleasant light (maybe a little overexposed for my tastes but the sun and shadows work well), it's got a face as a focal point, and it shows action. None of the others have all that.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Hucking drops isn't action anymore??

I suppose I just didn't convey that well enough. Guess I'll try again next season! Thanks for the feedback.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It has action, but the face isn't the first thing I notice. It's the shrub on the lower left.

The one with the woman is all about her.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Hey man shrubs are people too.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Crop the shrub out and it'll be great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I don't know how possible it is for you to position yourself around that track but I'd rather look up the hill than down it. I don't get much feeling of "oh poo poo, that's a big drop..." in it. Partly also because I can't really see the rider's face.

E: It's not a bad picture, to be sure. It's exposed well and it's sharp, I just don't quite read the big drop in it as well as if I'd been looking up.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 12, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Bang3r posted:

Same

(wtf wrestling)

I want everything this moment has in it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ohio Stadium will not allow anything greater than 100mm inside and I wanted to travel light anyway so I brought my XA2 and a roll of Fuji 800, so these are more snapshotty than anything, but gently caress it.

Shoot film. Always shoot film.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do they actually check focal length or just eyeball the tube? Because what if you brought a 400mm DO lens? :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Do they actually check focal length or just eyeball the tube? Because what if you brought a 400mm DO lens? :v:

I'm guessing it's more that they eyeball it, but there were a ton of signs at every entrance saying nothing longer than 100mm.

Michigan Stadium is really on lockdown. They didn't let my OM-1 with a 50mm in because the lens detached. :catstare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gotta keep those newspapers happy, protect their business model you know.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I love those colours.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Fuji is usually a bit more muted on colors (compared to like Kodak gold or something) but man the red was bright as all hell.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe

Soulex posted:

I want everything this moment has in it

This guy has many many many disturbing moments, case in point he pulled a condom out of his "rear end" once.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

You're not answering why he has a can of peaches :colbert:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The answer to every "why" question in wrestling is "because wrestling"

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe

Soulex posted:

You're not answering why he has a can of peaches :colbert:

It's actually a juice box his opponent came out with, he's wiping the straw through his rear end crack.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Andrew Redington of Getty proving why you should always stick around to take celebration photos.

For Context: Team USA won the Ryder Cup and err'body but Rickie Fowler got some lovin' in the celebration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SHOOT FILM

00000016 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

00000001 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

00000005 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

00000019 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

00000015 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

00000008 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

00000001 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

00000002 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

All of these were with a 180mm f/2.8. Fuji and Kodak 400, and some Fuji 800.