Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ignimbrite posted:

How'd it go?

We actually made it all the way to Akh Morn. Probably could have made it past that if our healer hadn't been clipped by the divebomb.

Getting past the adds with only four people is a real butt clencher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

MikeyLikesIt posted:

Is coil steamrollable unsync'd yet? I'd like to clear it before 3.4 drops with as little time commitment to learn the mechanics as possible.

Yes, just did it last night.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Pussy Cartel posted:

So I remember after Heavensward came out that they said they'd be implementing summoner/scholar/arcanist pet glamours. Have they said anything else about it since then?

Ps3 limitations

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mr. Nice! posted:

Don't forget 11. Tethers still matter.

It was always funny to see people join the T11 farm party and discover that you had to actually play well during the node phase. Because if you slipped up even a little bit, everyone would die. Horribly. You can't just mash them down, either. Lots o' rage in those days.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SettingSun posted:

Ugh I had a real bad time in Duty Finder today.
Today I discovered what the tree in Vark does if it fills its bar to 100.

I also found out that Cuchulain has some sort of mechanic which will lock everybody in place for a while.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Zereth posted:

Today I discovered what the tree in Vark does if it fills its bar to 100.

One time I had a group where apparently nobody bothered killing the flies or stepping out of the big devouring puddles, so it got to 100 on like the third 'step'. This wasn't even when it was new, this was two weeks ago.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Zereth posted:

I also found out that Cuchulain has some sort of mechanic which will lock everybody in place for a while.

Yeah, this is what happens if he has any orbs left up too long. You also get a stacking severity to the debuffs that are applied based on how many orbs were remaining.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
A few pages back someone mentioned the new patch added a catch-up mechanic of sorts, what were they referring to? Palace of the dead?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's the Lore weapons actually. Deep Gobdip is a Mhachi Penny & Farthing option now, Midan Gears are no longer weekly and you only need 4 of them to get a tomestone.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's the Lore weapons actually. Deep Gobdip is a Mhachi Penny & Farthing option now, Midan Gears are no longer weekly and you only need 4 of them to get a tomestone.

Still needs 3 weeks of lore though. You can get it just in time for the next patch if you capped lore tomorrow.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yo when is the Squat emote getting added to the game?

One of the male catgirls squats instead of sitting

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Fister Roboto posted:

We actually made it all the way to Akh Morn. Probably could have made it past that if our healer hadn't been clipped by the divebomb.

Getting past the adds with only four people is a real butt clencher.

Yeah, I would have thought that'd be the main chokepoint for a 4man run in FSoF. Those mobs have a fair bit of HP even at i240.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Truga posted:

One of the male catgirls squats instead of sitting

This pisses me off, they added pompadors but I cant squat infront of doorways. Hell even female miquotes npcs squat at that scary pirate pub in Losa

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Little Abigail posted:

I just finished up pugilist yesterday so I can collaborate this is 100% true. Hamon Holyfist is the best. Meanwhile, I've only done the Monk starter quest and besides the one super saiyan power up moment I can already tell this one is going to be a snore fest.

30-50 Monk is kinda boring, but Erik has a bunch of info dumps on Ala Mhigo and its history during it. The 50 fight is very "you must die, I alone am best" and the 50-60 quests are kung fu as heck.

Monk is a questline explicitly about bringing back a vanished art form, much like Warrior is. So it's good if you like that and having students and stuff.

Still not as good as Hamon's story tho.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Asimo posted:

Yeah, a big thing to keep in mind that PCs are actually really uncommon in Japan for a variety of reasons like the cost and space required, so they're pretty much exclusive to the ultra nerdy or ultra hardcore. So by extension almost all the game is console based, and almost all of that is heavily playstation-based (since microsoft has basically no sales there and Nintendo doesn't give a gently caress about online gaming). I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese FFXIV playerbase is 80+% console-using.

Most families in Japan have PCs.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

they may have PCs but they don't have gaming PCs (in case you forgot that laptops exist)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ilifinicus posted:

they may have PCs but they don't have gaming PCs (in case you forgot that laptops exist)

I play on a 2012 iMac with a GeForce 640m.

There are tons of laptops with better specs that aren't "gaming PCs." This game doesn't take much to run.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
FFXIV also runs on a wooden PC. It'll probably better on a ps4, but the dx9 client only needs like 500-600 megs of ram to run on highest settings, and if you're willing to play on low resolution, a recent intel HD to run just fine.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

HiKaizer posted:

The DRK story is great for a lot of reasons.

The best part will always be the celebratory head rub you give to Fray at the end of every mission.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
ARR job quests seem to follow the same thing. "I had this set of armor but it was too powerful, so I buried it somewhere. Go fetch it for me." At least, the bard quest is like that. Warrior was like that too.

As a sidenote, thanks to Yo-Kai grinding. I got my bard to 50, basically as a "why does everyone play this class horribly?" question. It's... not that hard. Now granted, I understand things change a lot at 60 with WM (I have MCH at 60, so I have an idea), and you have to prioritize your oGCDs and aren't able to weave them in so easily. But still, players are bad.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I play on a 2012 iMac with a GeForce 640m.

There are tons of laptops with better specs that aren't "gaming PCs." This game doesn't take much to run.
I think I figured why you don't care for glamours

you can't actually see them

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

seiferguy posted:

ARR job quests seem to follow the same thing. "I had this set of armor but it was too powerful, so I buried it somewhere. Go fetch it for me." At least, the bard quest is like that. Warrior was like that too.

Oh, every 45 has the job armor set quest, but for Summoner it's "we dug up this armor but it's from ancient Allag or something so we're not just going to give it to you" and Scholar's is "based on these ancient tablets I have drawn up a Nymian scholar's uniform, go around to some crafting guilds and get some tailored up for you".

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

seiferguy posted:

It is true for WAR, with a healthy dose of TAME YOUR INNER BEAST BEFORE IT CONSUMES YOU. This extends even into the 50-60 storyline, with the roles flipped around.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

seiferguy posted:

As a sidenote, thanks to Yo-Kai grinding. I got my bard to 50, basically as a "why does everyone play this class horribly?" question. It's... not that hard. Now granted, I understand things change a lot at 60 with WM (I have MCH at 60, so I have an idea), and you have to prioritize your oGCDs and aren't able to weave them in so easily. But still, players are bad.

50 bard is downright trivial to play competently.

60 bard isn't that much harder but it definitely has some weirdness to it, mostly relating to GCD/oGCD clipping not being an unrepentantly horrible thing like with most DPS, and Empyreal Arrow just generally being weird GCD-wise.

If you're used to machinist, it's not too huge a stretch to adapt (especially when it comes to movement and cast bars and stutter stepping), but there are definitely some noticeable differences.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
you reach 56 on bard, get iron jaws, and then ponder the meaninglessness of existence without it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ilifinicus posted:

I think I figured why you don't care for glamours

you can't actually see them

why does a blind man care about how he dresses himself?

But seriously the game runs great and looks great on old and less powerful gear. You don't need a giant rear end gaming PC to run this game reasonably at all. I have turned down a couple of settings that don't really matter because I can absolutely bog down my machine if I cranked it up to max.

I just really also don't care that much what my character looks like. I don't really spend any significant amount of time looking at them.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mr. Nice! posted:

why does a blind man care about how he dresses himself?

But seriously the game runs great and looks great on old and less powerful gear. You don't need a giant rear end gaming PC to run this game reasonably at all. I have turned down a couple of settings that don't really matter because I can absolutely bog down my machine if I cranked it up to max.

I just really also don't care that much what my character looks like. I don't really spend any significant amount of time looking at them.

You spend every minute you're playing looking at them, technically.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Verranicus posted:

You spend every minute you're playing looking at them, technically.

I mean, its on the screen, but my character is the least of my focus.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I bet this guy didn't even notice the butt change. Shame.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

ilifinicus posted:

There are a number of reasons the Japanese do very little PC gaming, but the lack of PCs is not one of them.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yo when is the Squat emote getting added to the game?

The same patch that adds the emote which lets players carry Lalafells on their shoulders like Raubahn does.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I would pay $120 for my roegadyn main to carry my lalafell alt on her shoulders. And then chuck her at raid bosses for Real Soviet Damage.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the gap closer skill for the next expansion's tank class will be called the fastball special

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Zero The Hero posted:

There are a number of reasons the Japanese do very little PC gaming, but the lack of PCs is not one of them.
yes? are you gonna share with the class?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

SilverSupernova posted:

The same patch that adds the emote which lets players carry Lalafells on their shoulders like Raubahn does.

That's what Wind-up Nanamo is for!

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

ilifinicus posted:

yes? are you gonna share with the class?

If you're asking for a source, you just had to scroll up a bit.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I heard that cool guy Baph plays on a PS3. The limitations don't hold him back from reaching the stars!!

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Saigyouji posted:

That's what Wind-up Nanamo is for!

Wind-Up Nanamo doesn't allow my friends to give me piggyback rides through the Crystal Tower.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

EponymousMrYar posted:

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I heard that cool guy Baph plays on a PS3. The limitations don't hold him back from reaching the stars!!

I heard Baph actually plays on a PS5. Yeah, he's from the future.

• Locked thread