Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Is there a recommended starting spot for nomads? Any time period or rulers I should be looking at in particular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

CaptCommy posted:

Is there a recommended starting spot for nomads? Any time period or rulers I should be looking at in particular?

Personally I like Otuken in the Charlie start. They're a tributary of the Uyghurs but that'll go away before too long. But I mostly like them because they're the earliest you can have Mongol culture. With nomads I like to conquer and pillage all of de jure Tartaria and then I just start invading entire kingdoms and giving them to my dynasty to rule, eventually granting them independence. Otuken starts off extremely small, but with nomad hordes you can accomplish a lot. I start off by nailing the Kirghiz and then start picking on the Suomenusko tribals way up north. Then Kimak, Tobol, etc. Once you nail the Kirghiz real good you've got access to a bunch of smaller khaganates you can swallow. And eventually, you beat the poo poo out of the Uyghurs, you former masters!

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 29, 2016

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Well, my immortal god doge has flip-flopped from insane and possessed to normal and back to lunatic/possessed, and then dropped possessed again. Meanwhile I went and conquered Pictland and got a new republic name for it, Alban, with an apparently incredibly lucky Fabricate Claim hit of the entire kingdom. I've conquered almost half of england know when I noticed I can press a couple weak claims, they're normally always up but I just ignore them because they're normally just a small duchy in France or something. But this time I noticed I can press a Duchess' claim on almost all of Italy.

I need to hurry up and become an emperor so I can make a vassal Italy.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Darth Windu posted:

Groogy is there any way to edit out a church, I got Antioch which is an ownage capitol but it has a church in one of the slots which sucks

Search for "-<province id>" to find the province data(remember the - at start), though I'm not sure if settlements are referenced in any more places in the save, was a while since I fiddled with that. Always make a backup though when doing edits.

You could also just look at the nomads pillage script and trigger that a couple of times.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Why do my women almost always get pneumonia after they give birth?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Looks like my disease chains are bugged, because I keep getting different messages like this:

Every week or so, with no status or anything on my character. Anybody know a way to fix it?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Looks like you have a mod that affects traits, the ruler designer unlocker is the most common one, but you need to remove it or see if there's an updated one for RD.

SeaTard posted:

It's supposed to, maybe the scope isn't set right in the event.

It does in the eat decision, it does not in the seclusion event he is talking about.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 29, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Are there any tricks to getting mods to work in the steam mac version of the base game? Or do I just download the mods and stick them in a mods folder somewhere?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

Looks like you have a mod that affects traits, the ruler designer unlocker is the most common one, but you need to remove it or see if there's an updated one for RD.

Yep, that was it. Keeping the Ruler Design Unlocked mod enabled was messing with it. Thanks!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Got Reaper's Due today so I started up a game, decided to try my first Muslim game, turned off the gender restrictions, all that, but I'm not quite sure how Open succession works. It seems to be defaulting to my first son, not my firstborn daughter, but if I were to hand off my second county to her, would she then become my heir? That's how that works, right? Since I'm only a countess with two counties, should I wait until I'm old or sick to hand it off if that works?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, two questions.

First, got the immortality questline. Marshal was sent off, then came back asking for money to "help his search" (i.e. he wanted a bribe). I gave him some money but not the maximum amount because it was like 90% of my treasury. Does the amount of money just help me or did I fail the quest already?

Second, a guy I just got as a vassal by pushing my de jure claim to his land took my wife, daughter-in-law, and baby granddaughter prisoner during the war, and beating him has not given them back. He won't accept my ransom offers either. What can I do here? Why can I not have this guy murdered for this? I need the daughter-in-law back for heir-making at least.

Edit: Seriously, I have a truce with this guy for ten years so I can't just kick his rear end again, do I have any options that aren't trying to imprison him and eating a massive tyranny penalty? It seems wrong that a guy can just keep his liege's wife and family in his dungeon without reprisal.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 29, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Edit: Double-posted somehow.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I also wasn't able to eat prisoners as a Norse merchant prince

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Darkrenown posted:

It does in the eat decision, it does not in the seclusion event he is talking about.

Hey I read that bit of code you posted earlier and I don't see anything out of place with my attempts. I've had three cannibal Doges who've only ever been able to eat people in the seclusion events. Once I throw the gates open I can't eat anybody. Is there something I'm missing? I've got prisoners, my cannibal isn't incapable or anything, but there's never the eat decision in the character interaction menu. I've checked with prisoners who were foreign, courtiers, and vassals and I can't eat any of them. I've made sure it wasn't a war/peace thing. According to what you posted earlier I shouldn't be having any problems. I'm almost certain I'm missing something incredibly stupid. :(

E: ^^^^ so maybe it is a patrician thing.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Is there a way to stopu non-European republics wearing republic clothing?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Honky Dong Country posted:

Hey I read that bit of code you posted earlier and I don't see anything out of place with my attempts. I've had three cannibal Doges who've only ever been able to eat people in the seclusion events. Once I throw the gates open I can't eat anybody. Is there something I'm missing? I've got prisoners, my cannibal isn't incapable or anything, but there's never the eat decision in the character interaction menu. I've checked with prisoners who were foreign, courtiers, and vassals and I can't eat any of them. I've made sure it wasn't a war/peace thing. According to what you posted earlier I shouldn't be having any problems. I'm almost certain I'm missing something incredibly stupid. :(

E: ^^^^ so maybe it is a patrician thing.

Works for me:

Are you a lunatic/possessed? You gotta be.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, two questions.

First, got the immortality questline. Marshal was sent off, then came back asking for money to "help his search" (i.e. he wanted a bribe). I gave him some money but not the maximum amount because it was like 90% of my treasury. Does the amount of money just help me or did I fail the quest already?

Second, a guy I just got as a vassal by pushing my de jure claim to his land took my wife, daughter-in-law, and baby granddaughter prisoner during the war, and beating him has not given them back. He won't accept my ransom offers either. What can I do here? Why can I not have this guy murdered for this? I need the daughter-in-law back for heir-making at least.

Edit: Seriously, I have a truce with this guy for ten years so I can't just kick his rear end again, do I have any options that aren't trying to imprison him and eating a massive tyranny penalty?

From what I can tell the 'give money' option just increases the chance they'll be successful in finding the mystic you need to continue the questline. If they fail though the mystic can still turn up of their own accord some months later.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aleth posted:

From what I can tell the 'give money' option just increases the chance they'll be successful in finding the mystic you need to continue the questline. If they fail though the mystic can still turn up of their own accord some months later.

Alright, thanks.

As for my issues with a vassal being able to keep my family in the dungeon with impunity, since I can't figure out any other options I'm going to bribe the guy so his opinion penalty is reduced enough for me to ransom the baby and daughter-in-law back (he wants more money than I have for my wife, and I still have gavelkind so I don't actually want more heirs). Then I guess I'm waiting a decade until the truce runs out, at which point I will annihilate this man if I haven't managed to make him suffer and die prior to that point.

My new goal is to ruin this man's life.

Edit: In happier news, found a replacement for my court physician; the last one was an awesome old man who did charity work and had 22 Learning. New one isn't nearly as skilled, but is pretty neat regardless. His heresy (which I noticed only after uploading this and just checked in-game) is Cathar, for something not apparent in the screenshot.

(Also I wound up going with Murchad despite him being easy mode so I could play around with the new things and relearn old ones before diving in to deeper stuff. I like shattered retreat so far, actually.)

Edit again: Marshal found a mystic. I... Don't think she'll be able to help me with my immortality search.

She's pretty neat, though.

Edit the third: In the "An Intriguing Encounter" event popup I got where she offers to help me, at the end it says, "I hear your are looking to live forever," which I assume is a typo and not her making a weird grammatical error present nowhere else in her dialog.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Aug 29, 2016

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Does having heretic vassals actually cause any me any issues? I had one as chancellor for a while and it kept triggering small opinion drops but it doesn't seem like it's really had any long-term negative impact.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Rarity posted:

Does having heretic vassals actually cause any me any issues? I had one as chancellor for a while and it kept triggering small opinion drops but it doesn't seem like it's really had any long-term negative impact.

They will convert their provinces. That will spawn little rebellions from time to time.

thinking_now_when
Apr 2, 2010

I noticed that horse courtiers can be set as educators for children, so would it be possible for a child with the heritage childhood focus to adopt horse culture this way? I'll try inviting some families to my court to experiment.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

thinking_now_when posted:

I noticed that horse courtiers can be set as educators for children, so would it be possible for a child with the heritage childhood focus to adopt horse culture this way? I'll try inviting some families to my court to experiment.

Yes, I left it on purpose available. However when they grow up they will run around naked because horses don't wear clothes fyi.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Frogfingers posted:

They will convert their provinces. That will spawn little rebellions from time to time.

Also they have a negative opinion malus because of religious differences.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Dances With Hooves

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Darkrenown posted:

Works for me:

Are you a lunatic/possessed? You gotta be.

Oh so I gotta be cannibal and lunatic/posessed?

sstrickl
Feb 16, 2011

T

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Was having a nice game having set up a Merchant Republic in the Black Sea, everything was going great, then in one year all of my male heirs died from battle/illness, I became Infirm and died shortly after leading into a game over. RNG felt pretty lovely :(

Also think there's a bug at the moment regarding pop up menus/events? Whenever I got one it gave me another additional one as well, so studying technology/collecting taxes meant I suddenly was king trade prince of gold science mountain.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Lareine posted:

As soon as I posted that, I stopped seeing them get pneumonia. But all my women have herpes now. Even the ones that just turned 16.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Conventional diseases seem a bit excessive now. Trying to build up a family of male courtiers and it's just a non stop stream of death notifications.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Do hospitals also protect characters against non epidemic diseases? I built up the hospital in my capital and noticed a very sharp decline in court deaths due to disease. Average lifespan when from probably mid 30s to 50s and 60s

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Lareine posted:

My wife's cranked out two children so far and she's healthy.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Lareine posted:

As soon as I posted that, I stopped seeing them get pneumonia. But all my women have herpes now. Even the ones that just turned 16.

Sluts man

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

K

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Lareine posted:

all my women have herpes now

maybe you're giving them all herpes

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

cock hero flux posted:

maybe you're giving them all herpes

Username checks out.

Also, after spending my entire weekend helping out with the CK2+ compat patch I have to salute all the Paradox scripters for going back and optimizing what feels like every goddamn event in the game - no wonder it's so much faster.

Hopefully someone gets them a bonus for it. I look forward to finishing modding it so I can actually play.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This game is the best its been in a long time and the increased mortality rate from disease makes the game challenging.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Got the immortality event but my doge died of old age before the chain finished (but after spending over 2000 gold on it), how appropriately thematic.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

In a recent game I got stuck with a pretty long regency because the 28 martial war god got murdered by a force less than a third of his own. Anyway, I'm not bitter but I did the fair and feast events a bunch as a child, is just the only trait you can only pick up from these now? Like I'd probably save a bit more if I figured well nothing bur prestige and up down relationship stuff is coming out of them.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Roland Jones posted:

As for my issues with a vassal being able to keep my family in the dungeon with impunity, since I can't figure out any other options I'm going to bribe the guy so his opinion penalty is reduced enough for me to ransom the baby and daughter-in-law back (he wants more money than I have for my wife, and I still have gavelkind so I don't actually want more heirs). Then I guess I'm waiting a decade until the truce runs out, at which point I will annihilate this man if I haven't managed to make him suffer and die prior to that point.

My new goal is to ruin this man's life.

I believe you should be able to jailbreak them using the Intrigue focus, if you can't get him to like you enough to ransom them.

Either way, ruin his life anyway because it's good to have goals.

Lareine posted:

The RNG hates you (there's a chance of pneumonia with every birth).

catlord posted:

Got Reaper's Due today so I started up a game, decided to try my first Muslim game, turned off the gender restrictions, all that, but I'm not quite sure how Open succession works. It seems to be defaulting to my first son, not my firstborn daughter, but if I were to hand off my second county to her, would she then become my heir? That's how that works, right? Since I'm only a countess with two counties, should I wait until I'm old or sick to hand it off if that works?

That's how Open succession is supposed to work but it was designed as a Muslim-only succession law back when Muslims were hardcoded as agnatic and they may not have accounted for the Conclave changes and the possibility of Cognatic Open succession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

When you click on the notification for an empty council seat, does it take you to the council view now rather than the old one where you select jobs?

• Locked thread