Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Somfin posted:

It's the progressives' fault tho. We drove out all the moderate people who were part of the anti-women rape-threat cult of personality. Now the only people left in the anti-women rape-threat cult of personality are meanies. I hope we're happy.

Seriously, what part of GG looks like it's on the good guys end of the spectrum?

Remember how if we totally hadn't antagonized hitler he would have just stopped at the english channel and all the jews wouldn't have been exterminated???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The annoying thing is those logs are unlikely to be fake, but does he really have nothing better than something from 2 years ago featuring a pariah like Randi Harper?

Also did a double-take when I saw a Tesseract in those logs. :eyepop:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tesseraction posted:

The annoying thing is those logs are unlikely to be fake, but does he really have nothing better than something from 2 years ago featuring a pariah like Randi Harper?

If you read between the lines of the logs, you start to see the protocols of the elders of zion slowly appear

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Other YouTubers like the popular atheist commentators Sargon of Akkad and Thunderf00t and media critic MundaneMatt, also were subjects of discussion because of CON member Rob Marmolejo’s personal beef with them.

Yes the only reason anyone would ever dislike a gentle kind soul such as Sargon is a personal beef

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Additionally, members of CON conspired to sabotage the charity stream of feminist charity The Fine Young Capitalists, which needed funds to develop an independent video game.

Uh huh :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Interestingly, members of CON can be seen admitting that some of the harassment, trolling and death threats attributed to GamerGate are not even from the movement’s supporters. After the 2015 Paris terror attack, and long after I was no longer a member, GamerGate was blamed for portraying CON member Veerender Jubbal as a wanted terrorist with a photoshopped image.

You uh, you didn't really connect those two ideas in any way other than just putting them next to each other buddy. They were blamed with that because they did that.

quote:

GamerGate supporters have long suspected that collusion between the press and individuals opposed to the movement was at play. It may sound like a tinfoil hat conspiracy at first glance, but the chat logs reveal that Crash Override Network had ties to games journalist websites like Polygon. Despite the group’s relationship with the media, Zoe Quinn expressed disdain for a Boston Magazine reporter who asked her difficult questions, and attempted to suppress the publication of his story.

Ahahahaha yes actually it's about ethics in games journalism of course

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The bottom line here is that even if there is an unethical collusion of game creators and gaming journalism that's rampant in the industry, it's not actually sane to devote yourself to fighting injustice in reviews of Grand Theft Auto to the degree anyone who describes themselves as Gamergate did.

Like the dirty secret is that even if Zoe Quinn hosed someone to get a good review of her game, it really isn't worth getting angry about for more than five minutes, let alone years

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The bottom line here is that even if there is an unethical collusion of game creators and gaming journalism that's rampant in the industry, it's not actually sane to devote yourself to fighting injustice in reviews of Grand Theft Auto to the degree anyone who describes themselves as Gamergate did.

Like the dirty secret is that even if Zoe Quinn hosed someone to get a good review of her game, it really isn't worth getting angry about for more than five minutes, let alone years

But if I can't trust the fine people of IGN when they give the new Carl on Duty: Black Cops a 9.5 then who will I ignore the advice of and buy the game anyway regardless of the score then??

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

But if I can't trust the fine people of IGN when they give the new Carl on Duty: Black Cops a 9.5 then who will I ignore the advice of and buy the game anyway regardless of the score then??

That's not the issue, don't reduce it to a cheap joke. It's a nefarious conspiracy lead by two of the most influential feminists leaders, Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarcasminin, and their SJW goons. I mean, how else do you explain a game like Undertale being more popular than Hatred?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

You don't understand. She was having sex!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

MizPiz posted:

That's not the issue, don't reduce it to a cheap joke. It's a nefarious conspiracy lead by two of the most influential feminists leaders, Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarcasminin, and their SJW goons. I mean, how else do you explain a game like Undertale being more popular than Hatred?

I still love the salty tears shed by GameFaqs when Undertale took the top spot for best game ever despite users botting against it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is gamergate still going on? What are all the harassment all-stars up to these days? I know Professor Skull had a hate erection for the new Ghostbusters and was arguing that there was a conspiracy to have it get press attention and good reviews.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Is gamergate still going on? What are all the harassment all-stars up to these days? I know Professor Skull had a hate erection for the new Ghostbusters and was arguing that there was a conspiracy to have it get press attention and good reviews.

r/KotakuInAction is still active, although looking through the front page, it looks like a lot of it is generic :arghfist:SJWs!:arghfist: stuff that isn't really GamerGate specific, and a lot of the specifically GamerGate stuff is reminiscing more than a present-tense call to arms.

Edit: Huh, it comes out as "SJWs" instead of "robocops" now.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Silver2195 posted:

r/KotakuInAction is still active, although looking through the front page, it looks like a lot of it is generic :arghfist:SJWs!:arghfist: stuff that isn't really GamerGate specific, and a lot of the specifically GamerGate stuff is reminiscing more than a present-tense call to arms.

Edit: Huh, it comes out as "SJWs" instead of "robocops" now.

sjw

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Maybe only the singular form gets changed?

SJW SJWs

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

god you know what's awesome

wetting the bed when you're twelve

loving sick my dude

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Tesseraction posted:

They're pretty sure it's you. Mind you, they seem to think I'm in them too, if I understand their Twitter gibberings correctly - apparently they're evidence of something at Rationalwiki because Ryulong.

By the way, it's important to remember that not even the halfway plausible claims GG makes have any truth to them at all. It's fractally bullshit all the way down. List of Gamergate claims with reality-based rebuttals.

The fight ended with Pax backing off and Matt needing to spend some serious money on aloe

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/769712955466416128

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/769733567274364928

ahaha holy poo poo, when a lawyer straight-up calls you a child-raping sex offender. I wonder if Matt will dare sue.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

I agree with Phil Sandifer: Gamergate seems like they want reviews to be exclusively buying guides, no critical analysis allowed. They seem to argue that even having favorite games is a little lame. I doubt they seriously believe any of this, because literally no gamer on Earth thinks like that: would anyone play games if they didn't get a little irrational, emotional, personal kick out of it? Does anyone seriously believe that this personal experience with games (or anything else) should be a taboo? Can a review ever be "objective"?

I'll take advantage of the fact that Gamergate seems to have died down to finally say: I didn't like Depression Quest. Choices being unavailable due to depression draining your energy was a cute gimmick that I 100% identified with (witness my E/N walls of text from when I was deep in the hole), but I really disliked the rest. It has an unpleasant scolding tone throughout, even in the "best" ending, and there's clearly a "right" way to play it where every deviation earns you disdain from the game. I'll even admit that, the way I felt like at the time, the idea that my character was in a relationship felt preposterous and a little insulting. I think it could have connected with more people if it had been a little bit better thought out, but "indie game" seems to mean "abandoned forever in a half baked state once the point has been made" so let's just forget about it

On the other hand I liked Gone Home a lot. I just think the father had a more interesting story than the sister did anyone realize that his obsession with the JFK assassination was actually his way of working through the trauma of being molested (?) around the time of the assassination by his crazy uncle? because I didn't but I read an article that made a very good case for it. And what exactly happened, why did he have to live so many years at his uncle's, sleeping in the servant's quarters?. Sadly it seems it was kind of a flop

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 12:48 on Aug 29, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

An Irishman has been bayoneted by a British soldier, and as the Mick dies slowly in a ditch the Brit kicks him over and over, cursing him and wishing him a painful, slow death. With his last breath the Irishman asks, “Why are you so angry at us?” The Brit leans down, whispers, “You swine, we will NEVER forgive you for what we’ve done to you.”

I always liked that story.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well there is collusion and coercion by games companies to get good reviews for their games. The thing is that all of this is done either by companies like SquarEnix, Activision, and Ubisoft controlling access to major event games or little studios like Digital Homicide who will harass the poo poo out of the few reviewers who bother to give negative reviews. Somehow neither of these types of companies are the ones targeted by gamergate. Almost like some people just don't care enough about ethics in games journalism.

hackbunny posted:

On the other hand I liked Gone Home a lot. I just think the father had a more interesting story than the sister did anyone realize that his obsession with the JFK assassination was actually his way of working through the trauma of being molested (?) around the time of the assassination by his crazy uncle? because I didn't but I read an article that made a very good case for it. And what exactly happened, why did he have to live so many years at his uncle's, sleeping in the servant's quarters?. Sadly it seems it was kind of a flop
Gone Home suffers from a lack of actual proper critique. It has a lot going on but a lot of positive reviews just deal with a very surface level reading of it and most negative reviews just go "not a game lol".

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jack Gladney posted:

Can't speak for the internet at large, but it only pops up at SA when someone has an axe to grind. "Don't talk about gamergate" rapidly became "talk about gamergate all the time but only if you bring it up in PYF".

Like Milo it thrives only when people are daft enough to give it attention.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

hackbunny posted:

I'll take advantage of the fact that Gamergate seems to have died down to finally say: I didn't like Depression Quest.

Good news, you don't have to like a game shitheads disliked to not be a shithead.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

Well there is collusion and coercion by games companies to get good reviews for their games. The thing is that all of this is done either by companies like SquarEnix, Activision, and Ubisoft controlling access to major event games or little studios like Digital Homicide who will harass the poo poo out of the few reviewers who bother to give negative reviews. Somehow neither of these types of companies are the ones targeted by gamergate. Almost like some people just don't care enough about ethics in games journalism.

When my semi-gator friend first told me about what the Sinful Kotaku had done against the Gamer Race I was like "but game companies do that all the time..." and he went "well yeah it's expected from big game studios, we just sort of live with it, but this is the first time that indie games were shown to be doing it too and we thought they were better than this :C"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Like Giant Bomb was literally created because it's founder was fired from Gamespot for daring to give a mediocre review to a SquarEnix game.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Well hell, maybe the alt-right publicity will sell some Neoreaction A Basilisk ebooks.

Is there actually any way to legally buy a Neoreaction A Basilisk ebook? I quite want to read it, but missed the Kickstarter like an idiot. I would ask Sandifer himself if I hadn't repeatedly insulted him online.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

hackbunny posted:

Sadly it seems it was kind of a flop

Really? I was under the impression it did pretty well for the kind of small-budgeted indie game it was and it seems to have done well enough for the studio that made it to come back with Gone Home In Spaaaaaaaace Tacoma

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

divabot posted:

They're pretty sure it's you. Mind you, they seem to think I'm in them too, if I understand their Twitter gibberings correctly - apparently they're evidence of something at Rationalwiki because Ryulong.

Oh. Huh. Well at least I know I'm pissing them off without actually doing anything.

I mean my associations with ShitRedditSays are real but that's a different person to me. At ShitRedditSays we were only involved in the assassination of Andrew Breitbart getting paedophile subs closed on Reddit. Nothing more. *whistles conspiratorially*

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Oh. Huh. Well at least I know I'm pissing them off without actually doing anything.

I mean my associations with ShitRedditSays are real but that's a different person to me. At ShitRedditSays we were only involved in the assassination of Andrew Breitbart getting paedophile subs closed on Reddit. Nothing more. *whistles conspiratorially*

Something something poisoning the pure free market of ideas that is Reddit with your SJW mod infiltrators something

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Something something poisoning the pure free market of ideas that is Reddit with your SJW mod infiltrators something

Never stops being funny.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

MizPiz posted:

Judging from my household and their favorite YouTube channels, the popularity of Undertale is mostly fueled by teens and preteens. My 9-year-old diligently watches every possible livestream by some 20-ish girl in South America who animates Undertale fan videos live and talks about her work while she's drawing. Like hours and hours of frame-by-frame animation. Because Undertale.

vegetables posted:

Is there actually any way to legally buy a Neoreaction A Basilisk ebook? I quite want to read it, but missed the Kickstarter like an idiot. I would ask Sandifer himself if I hadn't repeatedly insulted him online.
I feel like Phil is the kind of person who'd happily send you a copy for $5 even if you're his mortal enemy. Wouldn't hurt to ask, anyway.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

vegetables posted:

pookel posted:

I feel like Phil is the kind of person who'd happily send you a copy for $5 even if you're his mortal enemy. Wouldn't hurt to ask, anyway.

I think "wait until 2017" is presently the correct answer. There's a bootleg on LibGen, not sure which draft.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jack Gladney posted:

Because Google thinks I wanna see this crap because I visited KotakuInAction a few times I got this article recommened to me:
http://theralphretort.com/totalbiscuit-and-the-attempted-ethics-only-hijacking-of-gamergate-8027016/
It'll never loving die apparently. And the author there seems to think TB didn't harass people enough or something?? And apparently transphobia isn't real as well???

Also, Ctrl+F for cu'ck, only 19 results. I'm surprised.

I'm actually not sure who Professor Skull refers to. MundaneMatt or Aurini? I mentioned earlier but I think Matt has done at least 20 videos about the new Ghostbusters, probably closer to thirty.

Tracula has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Aug 29, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is that the TotalBiscuit who used to post on SA?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jack Gladney posted:

Is that the TotalBiscuit who used to post on SA?

Same guy. I'm not a big fan of him and he's done some obviously lovely stuff but he's really done what he can to distance himself from that one post everyone likes to throw around, he's admitted how loving stupid that was.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tracula posted:

Same guy. I'm not a big fan of him and he's done some obviously lovely stuff but he's really done what he can to distance himself from that one post everyone likes to throw around, he's admitted how loving stupid that was.

Nope. Gotta see that post. What was it?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2634792

It's in the gas chamber. I don't know if you need archives or not for it.

And a pastebin of it incase you do: http://pastebin.com/1b67fMPQ

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Terrible Opinions posted:

Gone Home suffers from a lack of actual proper critique. It has a lot going on but a lot of positive reviews just deal with a very surface level reading of it and most negative reviews just go "not a game lol".

Oh yeah, I was so disappointed by how hard it flopped, how little was said about the game itself for all the noise the controversy around it had made. It didn't even generate much of a fandom, I was so looking forward to fan theories, speculation etc. but in fact I couldn't even find a full, proper timeline. Maybe I'll make one

GunnerJ posted:

Good news, you don't have to like a game shitheads disliked to not be a shithead.

You kid but the topic was literally untouchable in the early stage of Gamergate. I had played the game before the "scandal", was underwhelmed (let's be honest, Zoe Quinn is no Emily Short), and I couldn't snarkily dismiss it. It was torture!

Really? I was under the impression it did pretty well for the kind of small-budgeted indie game it was and it seems to have done well enough for the studio that made it to come back with Gone Home In Spaaaaaaaace Tacoma

So it sold but I don't get the impression that it's a particularly beloved game

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hackbunny posted:

Oh yeah, I was so disappointed by how hard it flopped, how little was said about the game itself for all the noise the controversy around it had made. It didn't even generate much of a fandom, I was so looking forward to fan theories, speculation etc. but in fact I couldn't even find a full, proper timeline. Maybe I'll make one

You kid but the topic was literally untouchable in the early stage of Gamergate. I had played the game before the "scandal", was underwhelmed (let's be honest, Zoe Quinn is no Emily Short), and I couldn't snarkily dismiss it. It was torture!

So it sold but I don't get the impression that it's a particularly beloved game

Zoe Quinn is a person who, if she were not the symbolic strawman of every hateful internet dweeb, I probably would distance myself from and avoid since she seems like she's got some problems and I don't really like her personality.

I guess this is what it feels like to be one of the baptist churches around here who flew the gay pride flag after the Pulse shooting?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So help me out, guys, on how to figure out this guy. He says he's a Marxist-Leninist but a lot of his viewpoints seem very far-rightish. Like, for example, the sedevacantism borne out of the Catholic Church being full of gays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

TinTower posted:

So help me out, guys, on how to figure out this guy. He says he's a Marxist-Leninist but a lot of his viewpoints seem very far-rightish. Like, for example, the sedevacantism borne out of the Catholic Church being full of gays.

Horseshoe. Once you've decided the status quo is completely intolerable and must be violently overthrown, your resulting ideology is able to take whatever crazy ideas you personally think are important and glue them onto your revolutionary ideology.

See also: pro-trump accelerationists.