Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I've got that Anker 20100 and it works a treat with my 6P. No fires or melted phones yet. The only caveat with it is that the bidirectional charging on the USB-C port means that you have to remember to press the button before attaching it or it charges from your phone.

E: how does a cable 'remember' anything anyway?

chippy fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Internet Explorer posted:

I have this and I like it. [Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 + USB-C Port] RAVPower 20100mAh Portable Charger (Quick Charge Input & Output; Type-C Port) External Battery Pack Power Bank for Phones, Tablets and More Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0156HCJQO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_dc8WxbNMRHBY9

Quick charges on USB-C, both the battery and the phone.

highly recommend this one. used it on two international trips already, and it has more ports / capacity than the anker one.

also used it daily during the pokemon go craze

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

chippy posted:

I've got that Anker 20100 and it works a treat with my 6P. No fires or melted phones yet. The only caveat with it is that the bidirectional charging on the USB-C port means that you have to remember to press the button before attaching it or it charges from your phone.

I have the Ravpower one that was linked and it somehow knows whether its USB-C port is connected to a charger or a phone that it's supposed to be charging, no button press required.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

Mister Macys posted:

What's your opinion on the capacitive buttons? I've heard they're quite close together, and not backlit. Also, are they really just dots, as youtube reviews seem to indicate?

Overall they're fine, nothing I would consider a deal-breaker. It would be nice if they were lit up. But I've not really had issues being able to hit/see them. They are closer together than the Android on-screen buttons typically are, but if don't have ridiculously huge fingers you'll be fine. The left and right buttons (back and recently used apps) are just dots, you can swap them via the software. The center one is just a circle.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

ilkhan posted:

I'm tired of the "its a great phone, *but*......" bullshit.

The reason why you don't see this as often in the iPhone world is that with an iPhone the only choice you have between current flagships is to get the "plus" or not. Variety brings comparison and comparison brings dumb nitpicking.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I cross shop iPhone vs android each time I go to get a new phone and there are plenty of compromises when you go with an iPhone as well.

I do get the frustration...there is not and never has been a phone that is good in every area I want it to be good. Or, another way of putting it is that if I could take aspects to of a bunch of different phones and combine them into one that'd be really close to perfection, but as it is the things I want are spread across half a dozen or more devices.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Does anybody else on Nougat have an issue with the phone not remembering bluetooth volume when you reconnect to a bluetooth device? I only ever have bluetooth at full volume, but when I connect to my headphones, it's only at half volume, and when I connect to my car, it shows as half volume but plays at full volume. It's all very strange.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does anybody else on Nougat have an issue with the phone not remembering bluetooth volume when you reconnect to a bluetooth device? I only ever have bluetooth at full volume, but when I connect to my headphones, it's only at half volume, and when I connect to my car, it shows as half volume but plays at full volume. It's all very strange.

Mine mutes to like 50% every time I connect to bluetooth. 5x that I've been with the current from beta program, its done it hte whole time.
If I hit the volume button 2 times, it'll go to what sounds like 100%, a 3rd time takes it down to like 70% then I can edge it back to 100%. Its irritating, and I assume it has to do with the loud volume law (whatever its called). I liked when it would set the volume low at reboot, that was manageable.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

it starts bluetooth at 50% volume on mine in marshmallow and always has afair. I use an app called trigger to set the volume to max when the device connects as a workaround

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I cross shop iPhone vs android each time I go to get a new phone and there are plenty of compromises when you go with an iPhone as well.

I do get the frustration...there is not and never has been a phone that is good in every area I want it to be good. Or, another way of putting it is that if I could take aspects to of a bunch of different phones and combine them into one that'd be really close to perfection, but as it is the things I want are spread across half a dozen or more devices.

What would the Thermopyle Phone be, out of curiosity?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Removable battery and SD cards for everyone!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Android will automatically reduce the volume output to prevent hearing damage.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MMD3 posted:

Can anyone recommend a Single DIN car stereo that works well to control their android over USB (just looking for basic controls for spotify etc. play/pause, volume, track skip and display track title)

I haven't used USB for a car stereo in a long time but it used to be sort of a pain and sacrificed audio quality. It it's improved in some substantial way in the last 8 years or so then I'd check it out as well.

My old Alpine head unit apparently isn't compatible with my Galaxy S7 sadly otherwise it's still going strong. It seems like there are so many stereos out there that are made specifically for iPhone.

I've been doing some research into this... man, the car stereo landscape is pretty loving bleak for android support.

I mean, all car stereo brands I feel are falling way way way short of the mark in almost all regards of design & usability but this is what I can tell from what I've seen so far.

• Aptx appears to be the latest hot poo poo for "cd quality" bluetooth playback but it is a proprietary codec that has to be licensed in order to use and it seems that only Kenwood and Clarion care to go that route.
  • Kenwood offers the best support for Android devices including control over USB & the latest/highest quality Bluetooth codec (aptx) in most of their models
  • Alpine doesn't care about black people Android. They are one of the best for Apple control but none of their decks support USB control of Android and their bluetooth specs are older
  • Pioneer offers some nice dual-din decks that can have both Android Auto & Apple Carplay and most of their single din decks apparently support Android usb play but their bluetooth spec is older.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 29, 2016

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Blue Train posted:

it starts bluetooth at 50% volume on mine in marshmallow and always has afair. I use an app called trigger to set the volume to max when the device connects as a workaround

Is that really a thing? I noticed it a few years ago, ended up building a tasker profile to set the volume to max when connecting to the BT device, and always blamed myself accidentally pressing the volume buttons when grabbing the phone and shoving it around.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

grack posted:

Android will automatically reduce the volume output to prevent hearing damage.

It didn't do it prior to nougat.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ringu0 posted:

Is that really a thing? I noticed it a few years ago, ended up building a tasker profile to set the volume to max when connecting to the BT device, and always blamed myself accidentally pressing the volume buttons when grabbing the phone and shoving it around.

it happened on both the stock rom on my moto g and in cyanogenmod so I assume it was intended behavior

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My volume button is stuck on my Nexus 6P, as I mentioned before. Is there any way to disable the volume button and stop it from changing the volume? I can still do it from inside Android, but I need it to stop pressing volume up like crazy. Google said they're going to take ~3 days to send me a new phone, but in the meantime my phone is almost unusable and I need it for work.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BJPaskoff posted:

My volume button is stuck on my Nexus 6P, as I mentioned before. Is there any way to disable the volume button and stop it from changing the volume? I can still do it from inside Android, but I need it to stop pressing volume up like crazy. Google said they're going to take ~3 days to send me a new phone, but in the meantime my phone is almost unusable and I need it for work.

Have you tried hitting it against your desk?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Put grip tape on it.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Attach the phone to your head with grip tape, then slam your head against the desk.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Buy an iPhone, then smack the iPhone firmly against the volume rocker of the 6P

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

nimper posted:

Have you tried hitting it against your desk?

First thing I tried. It didn't work.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

First thing I tried. It didn't work.

You need more force. Try fastballing it into the wall.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I manage to break the glass over the main (rear) camera on my 5x, is this a replaceable part?

Advice on a case with a lens cover?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FunOne posted:

You can do VR just fine with the current gen software. VR video should work just fine.

Daydream is the branding for their next generation stuff which will include baseline capabilities for the sensors, BT, graphics, etc. I would not expect the 5x to be compatible with those specifications, but you'll still be able to do VR Youtube just fine.

Thanks for clearing this up. Is there a custom Cardboard headset that people recommend?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks for clearing this up. Is there a custom Cardboard headset that people recommend?

Mattel Viewmaster. Not kidding.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

henne posted:

I manage to break the glass over the main (rear) camera on my 5x, is this a replaceable part?

Advice on a case with a lens cover?

The glass lens is integrated into the rear cover, which is pretty easy to swap out using a guitar pick or similar non-marring tool. New covers cost around $23 on eBay. Just make sure you get one with the flash diffuser in it.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have a gear vr and this https://www.amazon.com/BlitzWolf-Headset-Glasses-Cardboard-Upgraded/dp/B01AJSKIDG
Works really well and has head straps which many don't. I look so drat cool flying my drone with them on in public...

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx

Zorilla posted:

The glass lens is integrated into the rear cover, which is pretty easy to swap out using a guitar pick or similar non-marring tool. New covers cost around $23 on eBay. Just make sure you get one with the flash diffuser in it.

Thanks, you're rad.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Blue Train posted:

it happened on both the stock rom on my moto g and in cyanogenmod so I assume it was intended behavior

I've noticed this behavior on every phone I've owned that had lollipop and up.

It's really annoying because I pretty much use my phone to listen to music through my car stereo so the volume is pretty much always all the way up except for the times android gives me this warning.

Anyone know how to get rid of it?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Weird, I've got a 6P running N and it always leaves the Bluetooth volume on max, where I left it.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My 5X usually connects to my car stereo and starts playing muted. If you touch the volume buttons it'll suddenly unmute at its previous volume.

Hey, at least it pairs.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

azurite posted:

My 5X usually connects to my car stereo and starts playing muted. If you touch the volume buttons it'll suddenly unmute at its previous volume.

Hey, at least it pairs.

When I had a Moto X Pure, it would do that too. All I want is a phone with no bluetooth issues.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I had a Moto X and I now have a Droid Turbo 2 and other than having to wait about 20 seconds for Bluetooth in the car to connect to my phone (unless I hit remote start beforehand), there have never really been any other issues.

I think most of you are having problems with Android and dumb bluetooth software in your cars.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I get to find out just how bad Samsung is)/isn't since the S7 was about the least-bad phone available for work.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hooah posted:

I get to find out just how bad Samsung is)/isn't since the S7 was about the least-bad phone available for work.

It's great/the devils anus

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I use a Anker SoundSync Drive and never had any Bluetooth problems using it with my Moto X Style. Syncs instantly, plays everything fine. I only had a couple hickups while playing music and that might have been Spotify loving up its streaming.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I have a weird question that searching the internet has not been helpful in.

Through rooting, an app, a system setting or otherwise; is there a way to "force" notifications to stay unless you swipe them away?

Here is what I mean. Today I got a notification from Google Calendar that it is somebody's birthday. I clicked the notification and it opened up their contact. Very cool. What's way cooler is that it didn't get rid of the notification simply because I clicked on it. I did not know this was even an option and this is HUGE. I like it staying there because I want to remember to call that person later. With the notification still being there, I will remember to call them. If it disappeared like I expected it to, I would probably forget to call them.

Is there a way to make this "universal"? My biggest problem is Google Keep. I use it as a reminder system and I like having the reminders in my notifications because otherwise I will forget them. As it is now, if I accidentally click on one of the reminders, it loads Google Keep, and ALL my reminders, even if I had 4 active ones, are now completely wiped out. The weather notification does this too.

I hope this is making sense but I would like them to stay even if I click on them. Only "swiping" them should be able to get rid of them, is what I would like to do. Thanks! :shobon:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Endless Mike posted:

What would the Thermopyle Phone be, out of curiosity?

Hmm, well I haven't put a lot of thought into this in awhile, but...a start to this thought experiment would be:

A Galaxy Nexus S7 at 4.75" to 5" with a few software things ported (and polished) to AOSP/Nexus/Play Services. And by that, I don't mean a literal repeat of the business relationships that led to the original Galaxy Nexus. I just mean the hardware quality of the S7, the camera app except the "Samsung feel" of it stripped out, and then just running like a Nexus. Some sort of wireless charging would be good for those who care. I assume the S7 fingerprint sensor is on par with the 6P's.

The 6P is actually a long way towards those goals, but it's too big, too slippery, camera is too slow and it can occasionally get a little choppy (particularly when running in my car while streaming, GPS'ing, etc) which I assume is thermal throttling. Even with those complaints the 6P is the best phone I've ever owned. I don't think there's a phone available where I wouldn't have even more complaints...and that includes the iPhone, but that would be due to the way the whole paradigm of iOS works and less due to the hardware.

Actually, now that I think about it, an iPhone Nexus would be a good device...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I have a weird question that searching the internet has not been helpful in.

Through rooting, an app, a system setting or otherwise; is there a way to "force" notifications to stay unless you swipe them away?

Here is what I mean. Today I got a notification from Google Calendar that it is somebody's birthday. I clicked the notification and it opened up their contact. Very cool. What's way cooler is that it didn't get rid of the notification simply because I clicked on it. I did not know this was even an option and this is HUGE. I like it staying there because I want to remember to call that person later. With the notification still being there, I will remember to call them. If it disappeared like I expected it to, I would probably forget to call them.

Is there a way to make this "universal"? My biggest problem is Google Keep. I use it as a reminder system and I like having the reminders in my notifications because otherwise I will forget them. As it is now, if I accidentally click on one of the reminders, it loads Google Keep, and ALL my reminders, even if I had 4 active ones, are now completely wiped out. The weather notification does this too.

I hope this is making sense but I would like them to stay even if I click on them. Only "swiping" them should be able to get rid of them, is what I would like to do. Thanks! :shobon:

I think something like this will let you snooze notifications when you swipe rather than dismiss them, may allow pinning as well

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.achep.headsup