Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
^^^ Looks awesome.

I'm pretty much set on trading in my 690 Duke for a 690 based supermoto, only the question is whether it'll be the SMC or the Husky 701. The 701 carries more fuel, but the SMC has a tach, which I find a requirement for something lc4 powered. I wonder if it'd be possible to hook a tach up to the 701? It's coil-on-plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

High Protein posted:

the SMC has a tach, which I find a requirement for something lc4 powered

Why?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

It lugs if you're below 5krpm in higher gears, and then it's only 3k till redline. I find it easy to hit the limiter.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

High Protein posted:

It lugs if you're below 5krpm in higher gears, and then it's only 3k till redline. I find it easy to hit the limiter.

After a few hours on any new or entirely different class of bike than I'm used to I stop looking at the tach due to feel and sound alone. If you only want a tach to prevent lugs and hitting the limiter I think you're underestimating yourself.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

High Protein posted:

It really doesn't matter, honestly.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

A tach really? Hahahahaha.

I too ride my moto by looking down at the gauges all the time.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I don't think I ever look at the tach on my 690smc.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The tach is your butt. Only .2 more gallons in the 701, it's nice but 10 miles isn't going to change anything. The gas cap is a bit less susceptible to letting debris enter the tank on the 701, but that's more of a concern on dirt.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 24, 2016

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Gullous posted:

The tach is your butt. Only .2 more gallons in the 701, it's nice but 10 miles isn't going to change anything. The gas cap is a bit less susceptible to letting debris enter the tank on the 701, but that's more of a concern on dirt.

I thought it was a quart. In any case, yeah it's not that big a deal.

JB50 posted:

A tach really? Hahahahaha.

I too ride my moto by looking down at the gauges all the time.

I actually check them all the time, like the mirrors.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Only time the dash makes its way into my vision is if I'm trying my darnedest at being a twelve o'clock boy

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of selling my WR250X for this 2008 KTM 690 SMC: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/5739578677.html

What do you guys think? I've sent a couple emails back and forth already.

The only issue he has had with it was: "I did have some stalling issues which was a pain initially. Bike would flame out in heavy stop and go traffic otherwise was fine. Ended up adding evo1 air box lid plus K&N with 15 min reset and yielded a night and day difference. Better bottom and mid with awesome intake sound. Bike idles as it should now. Cam chain tensioner is a little noisy will change oem hydraulic tensioner out with aftermarket replacement next. Haven't had a rocker issue yet...will most likely inspect and do valve adjustment this winter if the bike doesn't sell. Only use motorex 10w-60."

I've done some light reading online about the bikes possible issues and it's all over the place. Some say these bikes are rock solid, others say they are maintenance queens. Any advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Also if SaNChEzZ sees this, thanks again for that shop manual on the WR250X, I used it to trace down an electrical issue I had with the taillight a few weeks back. Much appreciated.

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 29, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Switching up from a WR250X to a 690 SMC is what I'm in the process of doing now. I think the WRx is a really fine bike, and would probably be perfectly happy if I forced myself to keep it. It's reliability makes up for a lot. That said, 690.

What I don't recommend is that 690 right there, at that price, with the issues you mentioned. Without either, I still would avoid it.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
This advrider thread is the best and most detailed resource on 690 fueling issues:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ktm-690-efi-idiots-guide.931664/

The gist: these bikes are sensitive to fueling setups. If he threw that exhaust on without changing FI maps then the stalling issue is no surprise. I have that exhaust and had to tweak the akrapovic map to get it to idle. If its running solid now I wouldn't worry.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KTM: Ready to Race Stall on the Starting Grid

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I've got a 2008 SMC - Mines been solid. Had some stalling issues myself at one stage, was just lovely fuel. As Gallous said, if he changed exhaust without remapping it's not surprising it was stalling.

From AUS that's an amazing price for one, not sure over there though.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Define "solid" though. Every time I've looked into the SMCs and their reliability it's just thumpertalk/advrider nerds saying "Yeah just got one last year 3kmi on it no problems at all super reliable"

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Half the chatter is ADV KTM retired grey beards being incredibly obsessive. The other half comes from the bike being not reliable as dirt bike, a lesson I learned. The radiator shroud can rip a hole in the radiator. Dirt can enter the fuel system through the gas cap, clogging the injector and or pump. The wiring isn't up off road riding after a few thousand miles.

On the street or lightly dual sporting these issues aren't a concern.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Marxalot posted:

Define "solid" though. Every time I've looked into the SMCs and their reliability it's just thumpertalk/advrider nerds saying "Yeah just got one last year 3kmi on it no problems at all super reliable"

I've had it offroad (MX courses), dropped it a few times offroad. No issues there.

Mine has 30,000kms on it, I got it with 18,000kms last November. Never had any issue with it other than that dirty fuel once.

It gets ridden hard on the mountains, and I've had it to track days. I've also used it to commute (170km/day round trip) for about 2 months worth of commuting. Literally never had an issue with it. I think they're like any bike - stay on top of maintenance and you'll be fine. Give it regular oil/filter changes and she'll be sweet.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I appreciate the comments. I'm still going to go look at it later this week but I'll keep what you guys say in mind.

Maybe I should just go all-in on the Husky 701? The bike looks like an absolute blast from all of the reviews I've read. It's just so drat expensive...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I bought a 2009, it stalled like 4 or 5 times during the first 2k miles then went away for good. No issues for the 11k or 12k miles I had it. Room mate at the time had a 2008 SMC, no issues in the 4 years or so he had it.

Gullous rides his Enduro R hard as gently caress and it's had some issues but mostly because he was riding it like a hard core woods dirt bike in the super rough riding we have in western Washington and given that, it actually held up pretty well. It's not a dirt bike, its an enduro. If you treat it like a real dirt bike it'll develop issues, just like rallying your mothers SUV is going to cause issues.

Much of what ADV rider goes on about is overblown or super rare. A few people had a cam scoring issue that was a little nasty but I've never seen it outside that thread in ADV rider, and it's certainly not an epidemic. They're not perfect bikes, but the few things that do go wrong are generally easy to fix or easy to prevent.

I've got a personal pool of experience that covers 5 or 6 owners of these bikes now and nobody has had any serious issues. My 690 spent probably 1/4 of it's life on the track, supermoto and road courses. I beat the poo poo out of it on the street all the time and it never complained. Never even needed a valve adjustment.

I spent way more money and effort trying to turn my DRZ into something other than the Camry of supermotos than my 690 took to keep healthy.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 30, 2016

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I own a 690 Duke and it's been a piece of poo poo reliability wise. Issues with the master cylinder, replaced at 9k miles. It had always consumed some oil, which is normal for the LC unfortunately, but at 7k miles it got much, much worse: broken piston ring. Got a new top end under warranty, then 1k later it overheated and seized. Apparently this was because at the factory someone had installed two oil return membrane on top of one another instead of just one. Don't know if that also caused the ring failure and why it took that long for issues to manifest, but the dealer said KTM told them to check for the membrane issue, so apparently it's happened before. At 10k miles the bike was on its second cylinder, third piston, second water pump, crank. The new for 2016 LC4 in the Duke also has some teething issues. Also, these bikes tend to run too hot for my tastes, they've just got a teeny tiny fan and the temperature gets near the max during traffic. I guess it's partly how they calibrated the indicator, and I guess that if the cooling system's good enough for enduro use it's good enough for me, but I still don't like it.

Owner of the dealership told me that some years/models are more troublesome than others, but that generally 1 in 20 bikes has recurring issues, no matter if they're built in India or Austria.

However I'm still planning on trading in the bike for an SMC or 701, there's just nothing that compares. However I don't think I'll keep it past the warranty period.

Re: exhausts and stuff. The later model LC4 bikes you can't tune with TuneEcu anymore, and there's only 2 tunes, the normal one and one for the full Akrapovic system. So people mess around with other filters/pipes and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But I'd stick with the official stuff, expensive as it is.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ouch!

That is a laundry list of troubles. Teething issues with the redesign? Admittedly my experience with these bikes is in the 08-12 region, aside from Grizzled's 701. That's just had the standard "melt your own turn signal on exhaust side" issue.

I'd run from your particular bike with an issue list like that, and I'd be pretty pissed off.

What year is yours? I have a friend with a post Baja (aka Indian manufacturing influence) 690 Duke who's been trouble free but I think that's about as new as my direct interactions go.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Spiffness posted:

Ouch!

That is a laundry list of troubles. Teething issues with the redesign? Admittedly my experience with these bikes is in the 08-12 region, aside from Grizzled's 701. That's just had the standard "melt your own turn signal on exhaust side" issue.

I'd run from your particular bike with an issue list like that, and I'd be pretty pissed off.

What year is yours? I have a friend with a post Baja (aka Indian manufacturing influence) 690 Duke who's been trouble free but I think that's about as new as my direct interactions go.

Mine's a 2014, which is the third year of the dual spark head engine. So probably not teething issues, just shittily put together.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Just piping in about the Duke 690. The dealership already(2014 bought in 2015) had to split mine open to replace a crushed gasket on the lower cylinder at 200km. Motor was build in Austria so no matter where it comes from it seems qa is pretty bad. Whenever I get a decent offer I'm trading mine in for something drastically more subdued.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I had a 2007 690 SM from ~9,000 to ~14,000 miles and all I had to do was replace a leaky clutch master. It would stall occasionally at lights when hot if you took off wrong, but after a few times I learned to give it a bit more gas and it was fine. No problems even with my hamfisted beginner attempts at clutchup wheelies.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
I've had a 2008 Duke 690 for about 12,000 km. I've had a couple of issues, but only one of them's been major. The rocker arm bearings are prone to failure - you'll find plenty of info online - and there's not really anything you can do about it other than regularly popping the head cover to see how things are looking. Not a huge job, apparently, but annoying and expensive if you don't know. I didn't know. :homebrew:

The engines tend to burn oil, which you want to keep on top of given that they don't hold much in the first place, and there's four (!!) filters to change when you do the oil. Instrument cluster on bikes that age tend to rattle themselves apart. Also, every mid 2000's KTM I've ridden has had a non functional fuel warning light. Out of gas? Sure, I guess.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The instrument clusters that had that white dust rattling around in them were recalled/replaced by KTM under warranty, at least on the SMC - I had no problem getting mine taken care of. Sent in the faulty cluster with the current mileage, parked the bike for a week, got the new non-coked out cluster back with the correct mileage on the odometer. Fuel warning light on mine works fine too, which is good because the tank holds what, 3 gallons? It does take a mile or so for it to go off after filling up.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

The instrument clusters that had that white dust rattling around in them were recalled/replaced by KTM under warranty, at least on the SMC - I had no problem getting mine taken care of. Sent in the faulty cluster with the current mileage, parked the bike for a week, got the new non-coked out cluster back with the correct mileage on the odometer.

I never bothered to get that taken care of, but it started to really obscure the mileage reading so right before I sold mine I unplugged, disassembled and cleaned it. Took about 20min and worked great, kept the mileage etc.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Thats nothing lemme list all the problems Ive had with my 2009 DRZ:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

JB50 posted:

Thats nothing lemme list all the problems Ive had with my 2009 DRZ:

Give it time.

my 01: broken cam chain, worn top end, 4 broken spoke, blown hg. numerous other little things, but you can't expect much out of a frame + the rest in revzilla boxes/buckets.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Viktor posted:

Whenever I get a decent offer I'm trading mine in for something drastically more subdued.

How do you mean? That it makes you ride like an idiot? Mine does that, and it's not even an smc.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Give it time.

my 01: broken cam chain, worn top end, 4 broken spoke, blown hg. numerous other little things, but you can't expect much out of a frame + the rest in revzilla boxes/buckets.

Whats a blown hg?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
head gasket

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Jazzzzz posted:

head gasket

Makes sense. To be fair I barely ride my DRZ and it only has 6800 miles on it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

JB50 posted:

Makes sense. To be fair I barely ride my DRZ and it only has 6800 miles on it.

I've done almost that since may.

the hg failed because of numerous errors, 1. the fsm torque is under specc'd. 2. the aftermarket HGs put the rivet too close to the head, i didnt catch it during initial assembly. that said, it never milkshaked but was putting combustion gasses in coolant.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My WR250X has always given me this terrible issue where it drains my wallet with farkles, and makes me a hooligan that doesn't respect rules and boundaries. :(

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

High Protein posted:

How do you mean? That it makes you ride like an idiot? Mine does that, and it's not even an smc.

First street bike was a ninja 650r that I had for eight years and then went to the duke. The powerband on the duke hates anything under 3500-4K rpm around town. Riding it feels the best at higher strung rpm and I feel like the anti stunting laws here $2400 fine/impounded bike are going to catch up with me.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Any reason not to run Pilot Power 2CTs on my DRZ? I've only ever ran regular PPs and BT S20s, which are great but I'm getting really tired of seeing this every 2 months.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Those would be fine, ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
When my tires get worn like that I dremel the wear bar down a bit to get more life

• Locked thread