Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

echinopsis posted:

overall we probably pay the least for our wholesale medicines in the entire western world

because our country as a whole acts as a wholesale purchaser and arranges all sorts of deals with the drug companies. this is good in some ways but it means the public are often getting given different brands. for example atorvastatin was lipitor. used to be fuckin expernsive but then pfizer released a nz only verson called zarator where a bottle of 90 whole sales at like $4 and that wasnt bad at least it was decent tabs but soon they're being replaced by an even cheaper generic called lorstat and the price is $13 for 500 of the bastards and of course this now means I will be counting shitloads more rather than giving packets

but yeah.. cheap. and in general all very well funded. whereas our GP visits aren't so cheap

the pharmaceutical benefits scheme is pretty similar but ~price signalling~ so we still pay like $30 to $40 for some things
our doctor visits range from free (bulk billed to medicare) or a hundred to two hundred bucks, tho, so we do pretty alright

main issue is that there's politically driven decision making, so things like prep dont get on the list despite having huge public health benefits, and uncommon conditions (or conditions thought of as uncommon, or conditions with medications that people who dont need them think are fun) kinda get shafted depending on the day of the week, lol
and then there's the politicians wanting to have medicare pay doctors less, etc, because ~government spending is bad~, etc
god, even your loving nats are at least moderately ok w/ lgbt folks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Greenstein
lmao, dude got shot and the bullet just flattened on his forehead
then a few years later beat up a bunch of nazis and got away with it, noice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Awia posted:

in the uk all prescriptions are £8.50 regardless of what you're getting
unless you have cancer then it's free
or if your poor then it's free

what if it's compounded? that poo poo is a wrought in aus. god drat PCCA arsehole cunts!

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

cheese-cube posted:

what if it's compounded? that poo poo is a wrought in aus. god drat PCCA arsehole cunts!

i get like, really severe migraines, and most meds for them just make them worse
i've been meaning to try ergotamine if i ever get a doc that'll try it, but the only place you can get it is compounding pharmacies, which a) are loving rare b) cost a mint
so, rip me i guess

nice

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEarhk3iWNQ
lmao

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/michaelleung/status/770223753720573953

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

oh my god

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
tooots thielemans is dead. rip toots

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yryD_vA8wHw

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

smokadustbowl on tv

http://i.imgur.com/APigjvz.gifv

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

cheese-cube posted:

what do you mean compounded?

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Awia posted:

what do you mean compounded?

compounded medications are where the pharmacist has to actually compound the medications - get the ingredients, put them in the capsules, etc
it's super uncommon, but occasionally a doctor will prescribe a medication that has to be compounded for the right amounts of each active ingredient, or which isn't sold pre-made for whatever reason (I think ergotamine is sold normally in the US but in aus concerns about its relation to Ergot and LSD have prevented that)

basically think 'research chems' but prescribed by a doctor and regulated

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgKLCSSd8mM

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Oh poo poo .. I'm actually tempted to hit them up

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Dang.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

epipen posted:

compounded medications are where the pharmacist has to actually compound the medications - get the ingredients, put them in the capsules, etc
it's super uncommon, but occasionally a doctor will prescribe a medication that has to be compounded for the right amounts of each active ingredient, or which isn't sold pre-made for whatever reason (I think ergotamine is sold normally in the US but in aus concerns about its relation to Ergot and LSD have prevented that)

it's still £8.50 because it's still a prescription

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

that's the price regardless of length of course btw, so if you get a week that's £8.50, if you get a year that's £8.50

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Squeezy Farm posted:

what luck, the venn diagram between the rick and morty and gears of war fandoms is a circle

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Squeezy Farm posted:

Video games are for children

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Awia posted:

it's still £8.50 because it's still a prescription

Awia posted:

that's the price regardless of length of course btw, so if you get a week that's £8.50, if you get a year that's £8.50

rlly frustrating that, my meds were costing me like $30 for the low dose and i was going thru them twice as quick cos my dose had been bumped up, took a while to get the script for the raised dose

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Awia posted:

ugh so unfair, here in aus i'm paying like $60 for compounding per repeat. sure i get the cost of the medecine back on medicare but not compounding.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

hail stan

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIez53JJB1Y

:psyduck:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

MISTAKES INTO MIRACLES

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
just do what I do and never get sick

*has untreated IBS*

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

keyboard vomit posted:

Video games are for children

Games are p much the most engaging, creative way to tell a story these days. No other medium has an equal level of interactivity. If that's childish, well... :shrug:

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

HEY NONG MAN posted:

just do what I do and never get sick

*has untreated IBS*

dietary adjustment has mostly worked for me
you can also get buscopan over the counter that works really well for the discomfort stuff

Squeezy Farm posted:

Games are p much the most engaging, creative way to tell a story these days. No other medium has an equal level of interactivity. If that's childish, well... :shrug:

i dont disagree, interactivity is really good, but games are increasingly railroading decisions and stuff
+ often the stories aren't that great to begin with unfortunately
it'll mature sooner or later

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

epipen posted:

yeah a friend of mine had a yeast infection in his ear and the compounding pharmacy made boric acid capsules for him to shove in there

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Squeezy Farm posted:

Too bad they're being made by these guys

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

For every cardboard computer you've got a hundred of those guys

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

keyboard vomit posted:

Too bad they're being made by these guys

You shut your mouth Rick and Morty is amazing.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

epipen posted:

i get like, really severe migraines, and most meds for them just make them worse
i've been meaning to try ergotamine if i ever get a doc that'll try it, but the only place you can get it is compounding pharmacies, which a) are loving rare b) cost a mint
so, rip me i guess

ergotamines are very costly to manufacture, period, afaik, because they need a ~10-15 stage synthesis in a pure nitrogen or argon atmosphere

supposedly they work real well. you could always try microdosing psilocybin or LSD instead :q:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

epipen posted:

dietary adjustment has mostly worked for me
you can also get buscopan over the counter that works really well for the discomfort stuff

otoh if you've got ibs problems ergotamines can really ramp that poo poo up to the max so that might be why they don't wanna try it

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

the cyberpunk future we deserve

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

so help me if i could find my shadowrun core book i'd raid that arcology top toi fucken bottom

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

cheese-cube posted:

so help me if i could find my shadowrun core book i'd raid that arcology top toi fucken bottom
errybody knows you can't start at the top, they've the aa guns

gotta go in the bottom and get shredded by zombie samurai and tentacle cats etc

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-82jei6ANes

can i get a cartridge wobble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Moist von Lipwig posted:

ergotamines are very costly to manufacture, period, afaik, because they need a ~10-15 stage synthesis in a pure nitrogen or argon atmosphere

supposedly they work real well. you could always try microdosing psilocybin or LSD instead :q:

as if i'd have a hookup lmao
the main issue with ergotamine (and psilocybin and LSD) is in this use, overuse causes more frequent migraines, but i'm getting daily migraines so, idk, gotta figure out what to do about that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wkrZpy5sns

• Locked thread