Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

eSports Chaebol posted:

I bet a lot of people would be uncomfortable if they realized that by default, YouTube creates a publicly-visible playlist of your liked videos, so if somebody say, clicks your name in the comments section of a video, they can see every video you've liked. I actually don't mind but it does seem kind of creepy that it's the silent default.

*furiously unlikes BBW feeding ASMR midget videos*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm an old grandpa but I don't understand why you would hit the like button unless you want that info to be made public.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

nachos posted:

I'm an old grandpa but I don't understand why you would hit the like button unless you want that info to be made public.

To decrease the ~mindshare~ of Wrongthink videos by making them appear more unpopular (to people who like engaging with brands).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nachos posted:

To anonymously show a person that there's one more person who thinks their video was worthwhile? :shrug:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

To anonymously show a person that there's one more person who thinks their video was worthwhile? :shrug:

Yeah, this doesn't seem weird at all. I mean, I knew about youtube's default for liking videos and it doesn't bother me, but the idea that upvoting something is meant to be a public show of support is kind of odd to me. I tend to think about buttons like that as more of an anonymous positive or negative vote, even when I know that's not how it's being used.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, this doesn't seem weird at all. I mean, I knew about youtube's default for liking videos and it doesn't bother me, but the idea that upvoting something is meant to be a public show of support is kind of odd to me. I tend to think about buttons like that as more of an anonymous positive or negative vote, even when I know that's not how it's being used.
The thing is the video is also promoted and more likely to show up in search if it's downvoted. Dislike votes basically have the same effects because Youtube is :derp: .

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Toplowtech posted:

The thing is the video is also promoted and more likely to show up in search if it's downvoted. Dislike votes basically have the same effects because Youtube is :derp: .

TIL that youtube recommended videos have a three dots menu where you can click "Not interested." previously I just clicked on the video and immediately disliked it.

Sorry all the video makers out there whose like/dislike ratio is skewed because of me

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Businesses are literally buying youtube downvotes if they feel insulted by bad reviews.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

It makes perfect sense. If a video gets really upvoted, it probably mean that it's good and people will want to see it. If a video gets really downvoted, it probably means that its' controversial and that people want to see it. The important thing is that you're fed videos that elicit an emotional response, whatever that response might be.

The real horror is a video that gets neither, it left so little impact that no one even bothered to have an opinion. :effort:

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

sarehu posted:

I thought he funded Urbit at one point.

He's still currently funding them, he also funds the idiots at MIRI, and is not-at-all-secretly in favor of enlightened despotism or whatever we're currently calling getting rid of the popular vote and hoping that techlords are able to lead the country as well as they lead their companies. He's a dude who got lucky and like lots of other people who win the lottery isn't making very good choices with his money.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Peztopiary posted:

He's still currently funding them, he also funds the idiots at MIRI, and is not-at-all-secretly in favor of enlightened despotism or whatever we're currently calling getting rid of the popular vote and hoping that techlords are able to lead the country as well as they lead their companies. He's a dude who got lucky and like lots of other people who win the lottery isn't making very good choices with his money.

Why does rational human being (lol) Peter Thiel think Techmerica Ltd. will turn out more like SpaceX or Amazon (sorta functional though still mediocre at best for the 99%) rather than like Yahoo or pets.com?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

blowfish posted:

Why does rational human being (lol) Peter Thiel think Techmerica Ltd. will turn out more like SpaceX or Amazon (sorta functional though still mediocre at best for the 99%) rather than like Yahoo or pets.com?

He just thinks yahoo.gov is better than what we have.

(I'm surprised you think Amazon is only mediocre except for the 1%.)

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

blowfish posted:

Can you elaborate on this mediocrity of Amazon? This year they reported some solid profits (true, after years of no profits, followed by marginal profits) http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-says-first-quarter-sales-and-profit-blew-out-expectations/

This is a serious question though; the Amazon model of "let's burn through our cash until nobody is left to compete with us" is fascinating to me.

I found this long explanation of the Amazon model, but I haven't gone through the whole thing yet: http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2014/9/4/why-amazon-has-no-profits-and-why-it-works

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

Can you elaborate on this mediocrity of Amazon? This year they reported some solid profits (true, after years of no profits, followed by marginal profits) http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-says-first-quarter-sales-and-profit-blew-out-expectations/

This is a serious question though; the Amazon model of "let's burn through our cash until nobody is left to compete with us" is fascinating to me.

I found this long explanation of the Amazon model, but I haven't gone through the whole thing yet: http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2014/9/4/why-amazon-has-no-profits-and-why-it-works

Mediocre because while everything is organised well from a business point of view, working in amazon warehouses sucks for most employees.

Starving out competition isn't something new, starbucks did it by opening a fuckload of cheap coffee shops all over town and then closing half of them while hiking up prices once every other coffee shop was dead.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

blowfish posted:

Mediocre because while everything is organised well from a business point of view, working in amazon warehouses sucks for most employees.

Starving out competition isn't something new, starbucks did it by opening a fuckload of cheap coffee shops all over town and then closing half of them while hiking up prices once every other coffee shop was dead.

Im wondering what amazons version of monopolistic assholery is going to be. Would that sort of thing even work in e-retail? Maybe theyll go fully automated and fire all of their pickers packers or something

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Im wondering what amazons version of monopolistic assholery is going to be. Would that sort of thing even work in e-retail? Maybe theyll go fully automated and fire all of their pickers packers or something

I already can't think of an online retailer that doesn't have a brick & mortar equivalent (like Target, Home Depot, etc). If people only know Amazon, they're only going to shop at Amazon.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ehh Bezos has said he doesn't think amazons future growth will be in retail. At some point I think they'll provide supply chains to other business primarily.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 29, 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Amazon doesn't offer generics, so a lot of places at the lowest quality point are still cheaper.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Aliquid posted:

Amazon doesn't offer generics, so a lot of places at the lowest quality point are still cheaper.

Is that really true anymore? They've started their own branded products (amusingly using data from their site to undercut competitors)

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

BrandorKP posted:

Ehh Bezos has said he doesn't think amazons future growth will be in retail. At some I think they'll provide supply chains to other business primarily.
Don't forget AWS

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Isn't Amazon still planning to open brick and mortar stores or did that get canned?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Combine the squeeze they currently put on their digital goods sellers (ebooks, apps, etc), and then combine it with the supplier manipulation that you get from Wal-Mart right now. That'll be Amazon in a few years.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Sundae posted:

Combine the squeeze they currently put on their digital goods sellers (ebooks, apps, etc), and then combine it with the supplier manipulation that you get from Wal-Mart right now. That'll be Amazon in a few years.

Could you elaborate on this? I've only bought a single ebook from Amazon, so I'm not sure about what you mean. Same with the supplier manipulation.

I have heard, in regards to suppliers, that Amazon does represent a threat because it forces them to sell much cheaper. So while a book at your local shop will be 35, Amazon will stock it at 30. Seems fairly accurate, as I've seen books sold directly from the author being more expensive than the ones from Amazon, despite being the exact same edition.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Aliquid posted:

Amazon Basics is their generic and they pretty deeply undercut the name brands.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Non Serviam posted:

Same with the supplier manipulation.
The Wal-mart You Don't Know

quote:

The giant retailer's low prices often come with a high cost. Wal-Mart's relentless pressure can crush the companies it does business with and force them to send jobs overseas. Are we shopping our way straight to the unemployment line?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

blowfish posted:

Working in any warehouse sucks. The only difference with Amazon run ones is the efficiency with which they suck.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Amazon Basics is their generic and they pretty deeply undercut the name brands.

welp

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Gail Wynand posted:

Don't forget AWS

A tech kit towards that end.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

is it a secret? he pretty openly supports humanity plus and the singularity institute, ground zero for the so called dark enlightenment

I am incapable of mentally separating the Dark Enlightenment and the Dark Carnival. loving STRONG AI!? HOW DOES IT WORK?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Given that both are run by clowns, you may have something there.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

blowfish posted:

He doesn't care if America Inc. goes belly up as long as he's free to loot the remains free of governmental interference. He's also not a big fan of women voting, because :biotruths: lead them to favor Big Government.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Whoa, wait, ASMR midgets?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!

Bleu posted:

I am incapable of mentally separating the Dark Enlightenment and the Dark Carnival. loving STRONG AI!? HOW DOES IT WORK?

Think of it like this: if you had to be stuck in an elevator with clown rap peeps or dudes who make Magic cards about their Nazi debate skills, you're taking the Jugallos any day.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Peztopiary posted:

He doesn't care if America Inc. goes belly up as long as he's free to loot the remains free of governmental interference. He's also not a big fan of women voting, because :biotruths: lead them to favor Big Government.
Even if it does turn into Kurtzweil's Singularity Turborobot Hoedown, he knows full well that the cushy good stuff goes to the 1% whitebros that'll live in their bubbles of wealth.

The third world / Kansas will reap the tertiary benefits of unrestrained technocapitalism, so that their VR interfaces will save them from the dreary shitholes they toil in.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Hodgepodge posted:

Think of it like this: if you had to be stuck in an elevator with clown rap peeps or dudes who make Magic cards about their Nazi debate skills, you're taking the Jugallos any day.

ICP pays their employees as agreed. Even when they're running a lovely backyard wrestling fed.

That makes them better than most libertarians.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Chasiubao posted:

Anyways, sorry for the derail. Content: tried telling my family to opt out of letting WhatsApp share their phone numbers with Facebook. Everyone's reaction was a huge meh. No one gives a poo poo about their privacy.

Anonymity, not privacy. FB knows who they are but run (well, own) a service that prevents themselves from snooping, thus protecting user privacy, but not necessarily anonymity.

It's a pet peeve of mine that people conflate them all the drat time.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Hodgepodge posted:

At least you can buy drugs from Juggalos, a DE fucker will just try and sell you Urbit licences or something

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

blowfish posted:

Not just the warehouses, it sucks for the white collars as well. I've had half a dozen friend & coworkers go through there as software engineers, none has lasted longer than 2 years.

Described as irreparably dysfunctional, with a codebase constantly on the verge of collapse.

Korean Barbecue Slut
Aug 6, 2009
Best friend worked at Amazon - it's a shitshow for morale up and down the entire company - well.... I guess Jeff and senior execs mu$t be happy ... As dem shares keep climbing....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

Could you elaborate on this? I've only bought a single ebook from Amazon, so I'm not sure about what you mean. Same with the supplier manipulation.

I could go on forever on this topic. Going to keep it short because otherwise, three hours will pass and fifty pages of effortpost will appear. Primary sources here are my own experiences and the experiences of the writing community, plus articles and observations over the past few years.

For the supplier manipulation, check that article someone posted above me about Wal-Mart's practices. It's pretty accurate. Same thing with Amazon once you get to any degree of scale, and doubly so if you don't have a B&M backup presence. The more you rely on Amazon, the more money you make them, and the more money you stand to lose from not playing ball, the more likely that they'll gently caress with you.

On the e-book front, Amazon is constantly at war with both traditional publishers and self-publishers, trying to cut their share of the sales price as much as possible. They have everyone by the balls now that book stores are basically a thing of the past and every other ebook vendor decided they didn't like money. For most intents and purposes, self-publishers (who make up a huge portion of Amazon's book revenue now) don't actually have say in how much money they get in the end. Amazon's KU program pays them by pages read rather than cover price. Amazon has demonstrated, to anyone paying attention, that they will manipulate the payouts however they damned well please. They have also removed access to a lot of the information that used to be available to self-publishers so that they can't effectively be audited on any of their numbers. You can still sell through the default platform (where you set your price and get a fixed percentage royalty), but they manipulate your visibility in the store based on your participation in other programs.

Meanwhile, on the trad-pub front: http://www.vanityfair.com/news/business/2014/12/amazon-hachette-ebook-publishing

This plays out over and over again. Anyone pushes back on Amazon during annual contract renegotiations, and suddenly their books can't be purchased anymore. Buy buttons just disappear, new releases have 2-4 week lead times, etc. As the only game in town these days, Amazon has trad-pubs by the balls as well. To add another issue (one source: http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-war-against-publishers-like-hachette-2014-5), Amazon also charges trad-pub a "market development" fee of 5-7% on top of all the royalty splits, and often additional charges similar to the old co-op model from the very same bookstores they put out of business. (Want your book in the store? $. Want us to recommend it? $$. Want it to be up front and center where people see the cover clearly? $$$.)

quote:

... Brad Stone describes one campaign to pressure the most vulnerable publishers for better terms: internally, it was known as the Gazelle Project, after Bezos suggested “that Amazon should approach these small publishers the way a cheetah would pursue a sickly gazelle.” (Company lawyers later changed the name to the Small Publisher Negotiation Program.)

quote:

Here are a few of Amazon's more imaginative high-pressure strategies:

Amazon sometimes raises the prices of books for small publishers who don't have enough market power to negotiate otherwise. Authors of obscure academic titles say that selling their books cheaply helps them make sales; when prices stay high, they don't sell at all. (Amazon denies this: "We are actually lowering prices," the company has said in the past.)

Amazon once sent small music publishers non-negotiable contracts. A condition in the proposed contract was that the contract literally could not be negotiated before it was signed.

Some of Amazon's independent merchants believe that Amazon screws them out of their search rankings. When companies sell stuff through Amazon, their Amazon page rides high in search result listings. If the merchant decides to do business elsewhere, their old page cannot be deleted, the merchants say, and it sits there like an empty shelf, sucking up all the SEO that ought to go to the merchants' more current offerings.

In a previous contract dispute with MacMillan Amazon deleted the "buy" button next to all MacMillan's books on its site.

Amazon did the same thing — deleted the buy button — next to titles from Melville House, after the boss of that company criticized Amazon in a story for Publishers Weekly.

Amazon once told small publishers that if they sold e-books through Apple their titles would be banned from Amazon.

Amazon has a policy of banning its merchants from selling their products cheaper elsewhere — even their own web sites. That practice was recently made illegal in the U.K.

Long story short, the less competition Amazon has with customers, the more awful they get to their suppliers, authors, publishers, etc. It's really not pretty right now how much they'll dick with you if they think they can and if they think you matter enough to dick with you.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 1, 2016