Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Not all of the pokemon are already at level 25 :ssh:

Also "only"81k" dust, yeah man that's only 8100 pokemon, no biggie

Lol thanks for telling us you're a loving moron in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Zo posted:

Lol thanks for telling us you're a loving moron in advance.

ya i hosed up the math but 810 is still a lot of pokemon to catch! If you're going to pretend its not, even being mitigated by gym and egg dust, then you're just being disingenuous.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Yeah dust is way scarcer than it should be, but they could probably fix a lot of that by upping the amounts you get for existing things: bonus dust for harder catches, up the amount from gym claims and egg hatchings, etc. I'm guessing with 50M users or whatever they've heard about the shortage by now, but I'm guessing it's low on the fix list

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This is a glorious day in my Pokemon Go career. Today marks the third day in a row I've had a Pokemon in a gym.

I'd like to thank all my buddies in Team Blue for helping leveling up the local bar to 10, and all the other players for leaving it the gently caress alone for once. :unsmith:

Jonesy posted:

Yeah dust is way scarcer than it should be, but they could probably fix a lot of that by upping the amounts you get for existing things: bonus dust for harder catches, up the amount from gym claims and egg hatchings, etc. I'm guessing with 50M users or whatever they've heard about the shortage by now, but I'm guessing it's low on the fix list

I do wish they'd give you bonus dust and more candies for transferring evolved/non-evolving 'mons.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Yeah for real, it would add some incentive to bother catching a 100cp pigeotto despite being way harder to catch than equivalent pidgey. Gimme more candy and/or the cp value in dust when I trade those fuckers in, you cheapskate professor.

I guess the game is more geared to collectors who casually battle, which makes sense but is still annoying when I want to pump up my shroombeast :shroom:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Woke up to find my local water spawn point finally having a Dratini. A 91% Dratini. Finally, a candidate for my first Dragonite.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
so this is weird, someone apparently spent the time and effort to take down these 2 gyms i was in from level 9/10 to level 3.... bu then no further. Why would someone go that far but not all the way? At any rate i got the chance to power up those dudes who had camped in that gym for days and slapped them back on.

Dr Tran posted:

Woke up to find my local water spawn point finally having a Dratini. A 91% Dratini. Finally, a candidate for my first Dragonite.

What's the cp on it?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

something posted:

so this is weird, someone apparently spent the time and effort to take down these 2 gyms i was in from level 9/10 to level 3.... bu then no further. Why would someone go that far but not all the way? At any rate i got the chance to power up those dudes who had camped in that gym for days and slapped them back on.

Maybe they just ran out of potions/revives.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ran out of items/battery/ambition? Or they had their reward timer on cooldown and just wanted the XP.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I wonder if there's any correlation of ivs and cp when caught in the wild, because I've come across two meowth at like 90+% but sub 200 cp, which is just nuts god drat it I wanna roll like Giovanni or whoever had the Persian

Mierenneuker posted:

Ran out of items/battery/ambition? Or they had their reward timer on cooldown and just wanted the XP.

Girlfriend/boyfriend wasn't putting up with any more nerd poo poo after the first battle failed to conquer the gym. At least here where it's hot as gently caress that's plausible

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 29, 2016

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Jonesy posted:

They should award dust for training gyms, it doesnt have to be a lot but it should at least equal the experience points awarded since right now it's such an uphill battle to hold gyms, it'd be nice if they gave a smaller, immediate reward for training in between cash in cycles.

Speaking of gyms, my work gym is still standing at level 7, it survived the weekend.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Not all of the pokemon are already at level 25 :ssh:

Also "only"81k" dust, yeah man that's only 810 pokemon, no biggie. I live in the city so I get a lot of pokestops and can't really get more than one gym at a time unless I go out at 3 AM.
Yeah and you only need 2000 pokes, or maybe let's be generous and say 1000 if you do half/half catch/etc. xp for the next level. I also live in the city and people here are scaremongering more than they should be about dust. While I do think they should up the dust to give more of a buffer for everyone who inadvertently level up bad pokes, it's fine. I'm only lvl 24 but I have enough dust and then some to keep 5 pokes maxed - would have a 6th but don't really want multiple maxed vapes. Most of the dust expenditures is from leveling up pokes to max, which is why people correctly advise others to keep pokes that are near max CP, but level to level it's not a problem whatsoever.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Next week, I'm going back to New York for a wedding, and I'm planning on one day where I go down to NYC with no real plans. I pretty much always hit the Nintendo Store when I'm out that way (ever since it was the Pokemon Center and they had that cool Pokemon gift machine), what places are good for Pokemon Go?

I get the impression Central Park is pretty much the place, are there any other spots where rarer stuff spawns that might be worth a visit? I had to restart not long ago (GPS spoofing ban) and I'm trying to rebuild. All the "best Pokemon spots in NYC" articles turning up on Google are from before the various spawn shuffles, and include stuff like "some guy caught a Charmander over here", so I don't know what's accurate anymore.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Mierenneuker posted:

Lately I've been seeing some people taking down a bunch of gyms in the neighborhood, but leaving them neutral. I guess they just want the XP / don't want to use Revives.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

something posted:

What's the cp on it?

Lack of potions. I took down a double dragonite/ single snorlax gym to level one this morning and left it because I was out of potions/revives and the pokes I needed to beat the 2.5K snorlax before the time limit ran out wouldn't be able to do it three times in a row without healing.

It was my fault, I got greedy, instead of just taking the three gyms I've been doing since I got my bike, I misremembered tw pokestops nearby as gyms and wasted fifteen minutes and a bunch of potions training up an extra allied gym instead. Not only did I not get my normal capture as a fourth gym, one of my others got retaken before I could cash in, so only 20 coins today. Rip me.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

Next week, I'm going back to New York for a wedding, and I'm planning on one day where I go down to NYC with no real plans. I pretty much always hit the Nintendo Store when I'm out that way (ever since it was the Pokemon Center and they had that cool Pokemon gift machine), what places are good for Pokemon Go?

I get the impression Central Park is pretty much the place, are there any other spots where rarer stuff spawns that might be worth a visit? I had to restart not long ago (GPS spoofing ban) and I'm trying to rebuild. All the "best Pokemon spots in NYC" articles turning up on Google are from before the various spawn shuffles, and include stuff like "some guy caught a Charmander over here", so I don't know what's accurate anymore.

Union Square Park, Battery Park, Prospect Park, Transmitter Park, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Brooklyn Bridge Park, Brooklyn Borough Hall

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TVs Ian posted:

I'm visiting a friend this week who knows all the best spots, but I hope there are plenty of pokes in the MOMA. :mrgw:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Elephanthead posted:

Vaporeon is still a better Vaporeon slayer then any plant. Just saying. Nothing beats HPs. Unless it is Chancey.

Not so fast!

Note the furthest-right column. I modified my spreadsheet to take into account enemy type and enemy attack type, using the green cells.

There are 14 pokemon/moveset combos better than best Vaporeon, when fighting a Water-type with Water attacks.

I'll post the full spreadsheet once I've tidied some things up!

e: the above is for same-level pokemon, e.g. a level 25 vaporeon vs a level 25 exeggutor. Not sure what it'll be if you have same-cp pokemon, since a level 25 vaporeon will not have the same cp as a level 25 exeggutor.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 29, 2016

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Union Square Park, Battery Park, Prospect Park, Transmitter Park, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Brooklyn Bridge Park, Brooklyn Borough Hall

Thanks! Now to fire up Google Maps and figure out a route.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
So I've worked out, I live practically on a Charmander nest. Frequent spawn point type. The spawns are visible on the "Sightings" list from my house, and he spawns every 90 minutes as far as I can tell. Usually one, sometimes two. Time to run this poo poo into a Charizard.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Dr Tran posted:

Grats! My first was a 71% that popped up at a community college. I'd love to drive down to the Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk (pokemongomap.info shows a pretty awesome pokestop setup), but it'd be quite the trek for not even knowing how often Dratinis would be spawning... Which is the main reason I'd brave the crowds and tourist drivers.

E: Someone please help me stop getting Zubats from 2ks, Parases and Doduos from 5ks, and Scythers from 10ks...

Colonel Squish fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 29, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Colonel Squish posted:

I'd love to drive down to the Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk (pokemongomap.info shows a pretty awesome pokestop setup), but it'd be quite the trek for not even knowing how often Dratinis would be spawning... Which is the main reason I'd brave the crowds and tourist drivers.
I was at the Rehotboth Boardwalk a few weeks ago. The Greene Turtle there is sandwiched between two Pokestops that always had lures, which was dope. No Dratinis spawned while I was there, though.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

BrianBoitano posted:

With a sample size of 200, I'm pretty sure the "Nice", "Great", and "Excellent" conclusion is not supported. From a comment (who doesn't cite his source, so take it with a grain)

So yeah def keep throwing at the smaller circle, but I'm not sure tiniest circle without bonus > medium circle with bonus until I see more data. I'm going to keep going for "Great" bonuses, because exp and I'm catching pokes just fine.

I will continue doing the same. I definitely have a lot of confirmation bias and little hard data but it does seem like I often have pokemon jump out 1-2 times with normal throws but stay locked in as soon as I get the Great! bonus.

Regardless, my catch rate is fine and a consistent 50% extra exp means I won't be changing my strategy. I try to catch everything with a midsize circle and Great bonus, except for trash like ekans, rattata, and mankey which I use to practice Excellent throws. I wish I could scrape data to see what my bonus rates are actually like.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

Thanks! Now to fire up Google Maps and figure out a route.

The corner of Central Park E (5th Av) and 57th by the Apple Store has a bunch of perma-lures and Union Sq has five stops within about four hundred feet that are usually lured

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Colonel Squish posted:

E: Someone please help me stop getting Zubats from 2ks, Parases and Doduos from 5ks, and Scythers from 10ks...

My last 2k gave me a 68% Pidgey. I evolved it up to Pidgeot and it did not even have Hurricane. I trashed it out of spite.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Entropist posted:

Lately I've been seeing some people taking down a bunch of gyms in the neighborhood, but leaving them neutral. I guess they just want the XP / don't want to use Revives.

In Ingress, higher level players would often turn a portal neutral so that new players could claim them because at that point, a tiny bit of xp doesn't matter.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah and you only need 2000 pokes, or maybe let's be generous and say 1000 if you do half/half catch/etc. xp for the next level. I also live in the city and people here are scaremongering more than they should be about dust. While I do think they should up the dust to give more of a buffer for everyone who inadvertently level up bad pokes, it's fine. I'm only lvl 24 but I have enough dust and then some to keep 5 pokes maxed - would have a 6th but don't really want multiple maxed vapes. Most of the dust expenditures is from leveling up pokes to max, which is why people correctly advise others to keep pokes that are near max CP, but level to level it's not a problem whatsoever.

I never said that Internet Kraken was wrong and no one was scaremongering. I was just saying that in my experience dust is bigger limiting factor in maxing pokemon. You may need less dust because I'm leveling 4 more pokemon than you. There are also cases where people may be leveling a pokemon that they then replace when a better alternative comes along. I invested a bunch of stardust into getting a magmar with a good moveset to level 25.5 because it was the only "strong" fire type I had for the longest time until I found a reliable source of growlithe recently. So now I have a 1200 CP good IV Arcanine that's hungry for dust until I get it to my current max of ~2300 CP. I'm also in a situation where the only "rare" pokemon in my top 9 is a Lapras and I have a surplus of candies as a result of hatching 5 of them so dust is more scarce than candies for me. The only other pokemon that needs candy is a vaporeon because I've literally hatched more laprases than have seen wild eevees. Different people have different needs and it seems kind of narrow minded to say that just because in your case you have enough dust, everyone else shouldn't have any problems either.

If you have a surplus of dust, good for you but I and at least several others in the thread don't.

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 29, 2016

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Anyone else in DE notice relatively consistent (one every day or two at select spawn points) Snorlax spawns turning to Tauroses over the last week or two? I now realize that I was taking them for granted. Mr. Big is currently stalled out at the 1300 power up level.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
noob question: you will only ever be able to put one of your mon's in a gym stack per gym right? In other words bubble strat, karp strat, hell leveling further than one more level is pointless without same team friends

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Alan Smithee posted:

noob question: you will only ever be able to put one of your mon's in a gym stack per gym right? In other words bubble strat, karp strat, hell leveling further than one more level is pointless without same team friends

I think the point of the bubble strat is the free and fast XP more than leveling the gym or helping teammates.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

I never said that Internet Kraken was wrong and no one was scaremongering. I was just saying that in my experience dust is bigger limiting factor in maxing pokemon. You may need less dust because I'm leveling 4 more pokemon than you. There are also cases where people may be leveling a pokemon that they then replace when a better alternative comes along. I invested a bunch of stardust into getting a magmar with a good moveset to level 25.5 because it was the only "strong" fire type I had for the longest time until I found a reliable source of growlithe recently. So now I have a 1200 CP good IV Arcanine that's hungry for dust until I get it to my current max of ~2300 CP. I'm also in a situation where the only "rare" pokemon in my top 9 is a Lapras and I have a surplus of candies as a result of hatching 5 of them so dust is more scarce than candies for me. The only other pokemon that needs candy is a vaporeon because I've literally hatched more laprases than have seen wild eevees. Different people have different needs and it seems kind of narrow minded to say that just because in your case you have enough dust, everyone else shouldn't have any problems either.

If you have a surplus of dust, good for you but I and at least several others in the thread don't.

Dust is definitely a bigger consideration than candies when powering up Pokemon unless the Pokemon is very rare/not an evolution. When you catch a Pokemon you get 100 dust + 4 candies if you transfer. That's enough candies to either get a powerup or be close to it, but it is like 2% of the dust required for a powerup at higher levels. Even if you're somehow capping 10 gyms every day and hatching a ton of eggs, I don't think candies will become the bigger bottleneck except if you're dealing with something like a Snorlax or Lapras.

One note about dust though -- you probably don't want to be powering up a 1200 CP Arcanine at your level. That's a crazy dust investment, and you could just wait for a better Growlithe to evolve instead.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I have so many arcanines

:mediocre: ones that ate all my dust and now they are rescue dogs I can't be assed to throw away :smith:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Tried a few new hot spots in the Seattle area that I've confirmed:

- Lincoln Park ( :emo: ) by the ferry is a definite Charmander nest. I caught 8 in an hour while I was there.
- Cal Anderson park in Capitol Hill is an Exeggcute nest. Or shall I say, an egg nest?
- Edmonds Beach drops Tentacools, Poliwags, Magikarps and Horseas.
- Green Lake is Psyduck / Krabby / Poliwag heaven. I've caught a few Dratinis there too.

I haven't confirmed it myself, but a friend heads to Bellevue Park after work, and she says the place is littered with lures. I'm still looking for a Bulbasaur / Squirtle nest though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Maaan, it sucks visiting a city and seeing how much better it is than everywhere I normally have access to.

Rapidashes, Rhydons, Scythers and Mr Mimes on my map in Brighton. Only actually managed to see the Rapidash. Over 100 balls and I didn't even loving hit it. It was physically impossible to reach.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Steve2911 posted:

Maaan, it sucks visiting a city and seeing how much better it is than everywhere I normally have access to.

Rapidashes, Rhydons, Scythers and Mr Mimes on my map in Brighton. Only actually managed to see the Rapidash. Over 100 balls and I didn't even loving hit it. It was physically impossible to reach.

Yeah, Rapidash and Golbat seem to have the toughest/tinest hit windows.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Dust is definitely a bigger consideration than candies when powering up Pokemon unless the Pokemon is very rare/not an evolution. When you catch a Pokemon you get 100 dust + 4 candies if you transfer. That's enough candies to either get a powerup or be close to it, but it is like 2% of the dust required for a powerup at higher levels. Even if you're somehow capping 10 gyms every day and hatching a ton of eggs, I don't think candies will become the bigger bottleneck except if you're dealing with something like a Snorlax or Lapras.

One note about dust though -- you probably don't want to be powering up a 1200 CP Arcanine at your level. That's a crazy dust investment, and you could just wait for a better Growlithe to evolve instead.

Thanks for the advice but all the growlithe I catch have terrible IVs (the best was 75% but 250 CP) and I'm the kind of awful nerd who cares about IVs so the one that I hatched from egg (80%) is the one that's gonna get fed, even if it's a dumb jerk with bite (at least he has fire blast).

Nowa
Mar 20, 2006

...a gulliver of dreams.

seiferguy posted:

- Lincoln Park ( :emo: ) by the ferry is a definite Charmander nest. I caught 8 in an hour while I was there.
- Cal Anderson park in Capitol Hill is an Exeggcute nest. Or shall I say, an egg nest?
- Green Lake is Psyduck / Krabby / Poliwag heaven. I've caught a few Dratinis there too.

I haven't confirmed it myself, but a friend heads to Bellevue Park after work, and she says the place is littered with lures. I'm still looking for a Bulbasaur / Squirtle nest though.

Thanks for this! I'll be visiting your fair city this weekend for PAX, and I was hoping to get a shortlist of the hot spots.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

seiferguy posted:

A popular dog park in Austin is a growlithe nest. I'm sure it was just random chance but it is very amusing.

I also managed to stumble across a previously unreported charmander nest in a park which isn't too far from me completely randomly. We were walking around using google maps to figure out which trails to take but it was very hard to see them on the map. On a whim I fired up Go and in addition to it having a much easier to see map of the trails I was also surrounded by three charmander and ran into some more later.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Odd. Made L20 this weekend. This AM I hatched the 2k that I had in my infinite 'bator. Went to put a new egg in and found 2 limited use 'baters alongside the infinite. Is this a L20 thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Cartouche posted:

Odd. Made L20 this weekend. This AM I hatched the 2k that I had in my infinite 'bator. Went to put a new egg in and found 2 limited use 'baters alongside the infinite. Is this a L20 thing?

It is, with the next big level up reward coming at 25. It's a pretty big drag to that point.

• Locked thread