Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Action Tortoise posted:

it's better than 2.

just a quick combat thing: dodge for humanoids, roll for beasties

Getting the hang of using Aard and Axii in fights made a huuuuuuuuge difference for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

it's better than 2.

just a quick combat thing: dodge for humanoids, roll for beasties

Dodging is revoltingly useful against a lot of monsters though, at least how I'm finding it 18 hours in.

So many great things in this game. I absolutely adore the design of the crones, and the constant stream of insults Geralt gets whenever he walks through a village is pretty great.

Gitro has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Aug 29, 2016

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
Witcher 3 might honestly be the best rpg ever.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Trainmonk posted:

Witcher 3 might honestly be the best rpg ever.

It's certainly up there.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just finished Witcher 3 not but a few minutes ago, right at 70 hours. Excellent game. A game like this doesn't come along much.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Gitro posted:

Dodging is revoltingly useful against a lot of monsters though, at least how I'm finding it 18 hours in.

So many great things in this game. I absolutely adore the design of the crones, and the constant stream of insults Geralt gets whenever he walks through a village is pretty great.

Good dodging can make even skull fights moderately easy. No dodging makes even low level fights shove a club up your rear end.

The best part is as you finish quests and do things for the townspeople, they start thanking you instead of insulting you as you walk through. :allears:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Another Bravely Second thing. Getting close to the end, had to do a button mashing segment (like the crystals in the first one) to clear some fog blocking the celestial realm (which is just our world with a fancy name) the second the fog cleared up I was greeted by a path of stones floating over my ugly face.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ok, this is a pretty morbid one, but I was reminder of a cool way of using the controller for immersion.

The Godfather 2 is a mostly by the numbers licensed GTA-clone made by EA, you go around taking over territory and building up your gang and poo poo. But someone on the team either put a lot of thought into a really minor thing.
The game let's you choke people out as a way off killing them while unarmed, mechanically it's just locking the enemy down and draining their health but how you do it is the interesting part. First you have to grab them by pressing both triggers, then you press the sticks down to start choking.
So while you are sitting there choking out your controller it vibrates with a pulse that grows fainter as the enemy dies.

It's a neat way to use the controller to simulate that action you are taking in the game, but I really hope someone does something like this with things that aren't killing people and feeling the life drain out of them.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Monster Hunter Generations has a bit where a character makes fun of people for telling newbies to "git gud", even spelled exactly like that.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

DelphiAegis posted:

Good dodging can make even skull fights moderately easy. No dodging makes even low level fights shove a club up your rear end.

The best part is as you finish quests and do things for the townspeople, they start thanking you instead of insulting you as you walk through. :allears:

I wasn't using the short dodge at first and it was way harder. Being in sword swing distance after avoiding an attack is a huge benefit and makes fights way easier. It absolutely ruins bears.

I also really dig how frequently you can turn down rewards and you just don't get anything (aside from gratitude) if you do. And the witcher contracts are still normal enemy types, but named and slightly stronger with their own bestiary entry and short story attached.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
Does the helicopter in Deus Ex: Human Revolution say "BooBee?" Because that would be really funny to my junior-high-level sense of humor.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just beaten Dino Hunter on the PS2. Bought it solely on the tagline: "DECIMATE PREHISTORY!:black101:" Only 2.5 hours long, but it's a rail-shooter/FPS(Depending on the level, sometimes you have free movement, sometimes your in a vehicle) that is concentrated crazy.

You first pick up the game and think OK, a Game about killing dinosaurs in the Cretaceous period, straightforward enough.

Then the opening cutscene tells you some of what's going on - A project called Project Ark tried to save the dinosaurs from the ecological disaster that wiped them out by sending them millions of years into the future, then putting them back after the disaster had run it's course. Then the main character gets pulled out of WW2 and dropped in the middle of dinosaurs. OK, you think. I'm a few million years in the future. Fine, functionally no difference gameplay wise so cool.

The Level 3 happens and it gets sooo dumb:

You aren't in the future. You aren't in the past. The computer program (Mother Computer) created to do the time-travel poo poo hosed it up when sending the dinosaurs back to the Cretaceous period. They aren't in the world - the entire island is in Hyperspace! There is a sapient Albino Velociraptor called Trinity who was created by the Mother Computer to be the Perfect Dinosaur, so it controls ALL THE OTHER DINOSAURS and wants to kill you because your fighting dinosaurs and are a threat.

There is a recurring boss who is a pair of Carnotauruses who literally have animations stolen from Spyro the Dragon - when they jump to the side, (and yes they can jump, why wouldn't they?) the animation is exactly the same as the Frog in Spyro 3 that serves as that games first boss.

The final boss is a ~super special anime~ T-rex who has black scales (The manual states that only 1 in 100,000 T-rexes is born with black skin).

The Main Character pulls a Legends of Tomorrow - he was only chosen because he was about to die anyway so it wouldn't matter if he failed. If the island doesn't get put back in the correct time the entire earth will be eaten by a dimensional tear.

When the MC is returned to his inevitable death in WW2, the female love interest/possibly special(she only talks in the main characters names, so all her lines are "Papa! Papa!" and "Mike!") daughter of the head scientist uses the same tech they used to teleport
him to the island to Teleport the bullets destined to kill him to Hyperspace, saving his life so he survives WW2.

I recommend giving it a look because it is hilarious at times, and can be kinda fun in a mindless way.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Crossposting this from the Crusader Kings 2 thread. Just to foreground it a little because its an odd game in CK2 you play the successive heads of a medieval dynasty bungling their way through history. So you might be the King of Denmark and when you die you play his son and so on. Over the course of your life you can pick up a variety of traits both positive and negative. One of them is lunatic, usually you get it through syphillis or stress and you get unique events from it.

So for example you could fire the chancellor from your vassal council and appoint your horse in his position

The latest DLC The Reapers Due has a lot of new stuff about death, disease and dying. And there's a new position in the court, that of court physician. Medieval medicine is kind of imprecise and things can go just horribly wrong like if the physician decides to chop off most of your face or sacrifice your children to his pagan gods in hopes of a cure etc. If your character is insane things get even even weirder and you can appoint good old Glitterhoof as your court physician.

I dunno maybe getting assfucked by a horse does cure cancer.

Goofballs has a new favorite as of 15:05 on Aug 29, 2016

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Man, playing the Witcher last night and it's crazy the amount of choices you get and how they can affect the world around you.

I was doing the Carnal Sins quest and just skewered Nathaniel the moment I caught up with him, but something didn't sit well with me, so I reloaded and gave him some time to talk first (THEN skewered him). If I had just pat myself on the back and moved on, the real murderer's plan would have worked perfectly and he'd have kept killing freely. I got tricked by an rear end in a top hat vampire. Also Joachim is my favorite throwaway character so far, what a badass and indepth loving backstory given to a dude you spend five minutes with.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mr. 47 posted:

Does the helicopter in Deus Ex: Human Revolution say "BooBee?" Because that would be really funny to my junior-high-level sense of humor.

I've been replaying it before I get the next one and I can confirm that, yes, yes it does.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I've been replaying it before I get the next one and I can confirm that, yes, yes it does.
Except for the times they caught the joke some texture artist made and changed it, but they missed it a lot of times / some cg cutscenes were already complete.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In FF6, one of the big plot points is that magic is presumed to no longer exist and has been supplanted by technology. When you get the king in your party, the first time you use a magic spell with the sorceress character he freaks the gently caress out and commences a dialogue about it mid battle.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

smuh posted:

Except for the times they caught the joke some texture artist made and changed it, but they missed it a lot of times / some cg cutscenes were already complete.

The used footage showing it in the recap video that comes with Mankind Divided, so I guess someone somewhere was OK with it (or there was some obstacle to re-rendering that particular shot and no other would do).

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

smuh posted:

A goon worked on the spy RPG Alpha Protocol and snuck a screenshot of the SA forums onto one of the in-game computers. Sadly it was caught and removed before the game came out :(

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

2house2fly posted:

A goon worked on the spy RPG Alpha Protocol and snuck a screenshot of the SA forums onto one of the in-game computers. Sadly it was caught and removed before the game came out :(

SA references in games aren't all that uncommon. There's the YCS/186 rifle in New Vegas as well as literally finding Johnny Five Aces and four balls on the edge of a cliff. I can't find it but in Aliens vs Predator 2 there's a PDA you can find that mentions something about an android shoving (or pushing?) someone down a flight of stairs and that's a confirmed SA reference apparently.

Also, is that Ropekid that tried to sneak that in? I'm 99% sure he's the one who works at Obsidian.

Oh, of course. Obsidian did Fallout New Vegas so that'd make perfect sense then for those references :v:

Tracula has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Aug 29, 2016

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

If I remember right, FFX-2 had enemies called goons that dropped grenades, but I forget if that was actually confirmed to be an SA reference.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Nethack and most other Roguelikes, progress between areas is done by descending "stairs", as in the common SomethingAwful "stairs" meme.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
It's not just "stairs" being the SA reference :v: It goes back to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E0ot9iJm_k
Xenomrph mentioned as much during his Let's Play of it but it looks like all the videos of it are dead now though since Viddler is gone.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tracula posted:

It's not just "stairs" being the SA reference :v: It goes back to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E0ot9iJm_k
Xenomrph mentioned as much during his Let's Play of it but it looks like all the videos of it are dead now though since Viddler is gone.

...which in turns goes back to this, which I believe is the true final origin of all the stairs/space robot memes.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tracula posted:

I was just pre-empting the way these discussions always end up with a bunch of silly ppl digging up everything they can find that references a goon/goons and calling it an SA reference

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The combat of Witcher 3 isn't that bad. At worst it's a pale imitation of Dark Souls but I think that's still pretty good.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
In GTA5 I saw a computer which alot of people also use to connect to the forum SomethingAwful.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
In GTA: Vice City if you get within a very small scale of points you're given the title of "SA Goon".

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Kumaton posted:

In GTA: Vice City if you get within a very small scale of points you're given the title of "SA Goon".

It is seriously like a five point crime rating range so even if you're looking for it you'll probably never see it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Tracula posted:

Also, is that Ropekid that tried to sneak that in? I'm 99% sure he's the one who works at Obsidian.

I forget the guy's screen name now, but he left Obsidian and went to CDPR and worked in some capacity on Witcher 3. He was quite active in the Alpha Protocol thread, though he was down on the game as a whole.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Goofballs posted:

Crossposting this from the Crusader Kings 2 thread. Just to foreground it a little because its an odd game in CK2 you play the successive heads of a medieval dynasty bungling their way through history. So you might be the King of Denmark and when you die you play his son and so on. Over the course of your life you can pick up a variety of traits both positive and negative. One of them is lunatic, usually you get it through syphillis or stress and you get unique events from it.

So for example you could fire the chancellor from your vassal council and appoint your horse in his position

The latest DLC The Reapers Due has a lot of new stuff about death, disease and dying. And there's a new position in the court, that of court physician. Medieval medicine is kind of imprecise and things can go just horribly wrong like if the physician decides to chop off most of your face or sacrifice your children to his pagan gods in hopes of a cure etc. If your character is insane things get even even weirder and you can appoint good old Glitterhoof as your court physician.

I dunno maybe getting assfucked by a horse does cure cancer.
Man, what a Catherine the great reference there

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

CK2 has great little references all throughout it. It may just be time for another playthru to see the new additions.

For content:

e: Speaking of Paradox games, I never quite understood what this was a reference to. You find a planetoid with an interesting "mountain range" and upon successfully researching it you discover the mountain range is in fact the giant skeleton of a long deceased creature. What is this referencing?

Mondian has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Aug 30, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:vince:

Was it Fable 3 where you played through some group of wizards DnD campaign? At the end you're supposed to kiss the princess, and if you're female they really want you to do it.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Hel posted:

Ok, this is a pretty morbid one, but I was reminder of a cool way of using the controller for immersion.

The Godfather 2 is a mostly by the numbers licensed GTA-clone made by EA, you go around taking over territory and building up your gang and poo poo. But someone on the team either put a lot of thought into a really minor thing.
The game let's you choke people out as a way off killing them while unarmed, mechanically it's just locking the enemy down and draining their health but how you do it is the interesting part. First you have to grab them by pressing both triggers, then you press the sticks down to start choking.
So while you are sitting there choking out your controller it vibrates with a pulse that grows fainter as the enemy dies.

It's a neat way to use the controller to simulate that action you are taking in the game, but I really hope someone does something like this with things that aren't killing people and feeling the life drain out of them.

Godfather: Blackhand on the Wii uses motion controls for fighting, so you're not only doing punching, but you have to do shoving motions and also choking is done by holding triggers and moving the nunchuk and wiimote closer to each other (again, as they vibrate). That game was really disturbingly violent and by the sidequest where you have to inject salt into a dude's IV to give him a heart attack, and then there is a cutscene where you watch him slowly and painfully die, I put it down and did not pick it up for a really long time. I'm wondering how VR will tackle violence because currently, violent conflict is accepted as a necessary part of creating a "fail state" in gaming, but if it gets increasingly detached from "controller and screen" it's going to really be disturbing for a lot of people.

Comparatively, the Wii version of A Boy and His Blob has a dedicated hug button.

Edited to add: I want to know what other games have dedicated or at least context-sensitive hug/friendship buttons, especially if they aren't used as part of a puzzle or relationship mechanic.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Edited to add: I want to know what other games have dedicated or at least context-sensitive hug/friendship buttons, especially if they aren't used as part of a puzzle or relationship mechanic.

It's commonly cited in this thread but Red Dead Redemption has a dedicated tip your hat and say howdy button

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
GTA 5 has two separate buttons for "say hi to random person" and "insult random person". Trevor's "say hi to random person" button is usually just as much of an insult as the latter.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

ya'll mentioned SA game references last page but you forgot one of the most blatant.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Easter_Eggs#Arlowe_and_the_Banhammer

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

timp posted:

It's commonly cited in this thread but Red Dead Redemption has a dedicated tip your hat and say howdy button

Which is funny to do when he's in Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Saint's Row 4.