Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Man, this Prawn update looks cool but I don't know if I want to do the hours of work it takes to build up to what I had before, especially if they are just going to wipe again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Man, this Prawn update looks cool but I don't know if I want to do the hours of work it takes to build up to what I had before, especially if they are just going to wipe again.

Same, I started a new game and was kinda "ehhh, I'll wait til they finish it before doing all this again"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I played through all the content again from scratch with this new update. The aurora is cool and the lava zones are slightly more detailed but that's all there is along with some small quality improvements.

If you played through once already I would recommend just waiting for 1.0

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I keep playing every major patch because I enjoy relaxing and building sea bases in new places. I've sunk a lot of time into Subnautica now just doing that.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Is there maybe an up to date starting guide?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This thread? Ask questions.

It's one of those games where a guide completely ruins the point.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Sekenr posted:

Is there maybe an up to date starting guide?

As Met said guides kind of ruin the point, but here's a minimalistic outline:

Build your basic tools and equipment (knife, scanner, O2 tank, fins etc.) Fix the Escape Pod so you can use it as a stable landmark. Keep checking Crash Homes even if you see lots of eggs, powder will happen eventually.
Hit up the Floating Isle for everything you can scan, along with some potatoes and maybe a fruit to plant. Seaglide recommended
Build a base. Build a Laser Cutter.
If you want giant aquariums for breeding fish and growing kelp etc. hit up the Koosh Zone wreck.
If you want to hit up the Aurora, build a Propulsion Cannon (mushroom forest wreck) grab your Radiation Suit and Welder and go do that. Seamoth recommended.
After that the Ocean is your oyster, check wrecks for tech, have fun in an Exosuit, find the Inactive Lava Zone, do whatever.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Did they fix the thing where a region will repopulate even if you don't hunt? I restarted and was amazed at how active the shallows are in the beginning.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You introduced space flu to the waters, good going you genocidal maniac. :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brick Dust Otis posted:

How's it hold up against them bitey mouthboys?

I have not had an opportunity to test it against a reaper yet, but I punched an electric eel in the gob and it hosed off. It has way more health than the seamoth so it's certainly a lot tougher in general.

E: I also found that there is strictly absolutely no need to build a propulsion cannon to access 100% of the aurora, you can climb over all the piles of debris except the one on the lower exterior, but you can circle round the back of that one anyway. The only things you need going in are a laser cutter and a welder.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 29, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I depopulate the entire loving ocean just by driving my seamoth through my driveway.

*thump*.... *thump...

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Did they fix the thing where a region will repopulate even if you don't hunt? I restarted and was amazed at how active the shallows are in the beginning.

I kind of got carried away with the zappy thing on my Seamoth and killed a large amount of fauna in a couple of areas. :ohdear:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Cleaning my laptop's fan has made the game playable again! :toot:

The Seamoth seems way more power-hungry than it used to be. It'll use most of a charge on a single expedition to a wreck. Once you've made one it feels like a race to get a moonpool or power cell recharger, and the solar recharger upgrade feels like a relief rather than a convenience.

Does the Repulsion Cannon no longer work on doors/grates in wrecks?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Do you sit in it a lot? I've done a pretty large circle of the map (Aurora, Floating Islands, Crabsquid Central, Koosh Zone) on a single charge and had plenty to get back to my base. This was just putt putting about though, no solar charger, no personal defense field.

The grates are now pretty solidly capped on wrecks and the only doors the propulsion cannon worked on before were the ones you could already open manually and there's significantly less of those in each wreck now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wow, Seamoth exploring is so much easier and pays off so well. I managed to find not only the other half of the propulsion cannon, but the rest of the Cyclops plans I needed too. I explored as much of the Aurora as I could, and now I can make the PRAWN. :getin:

Still no friggin' Moon Pool, though.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Still no friggin' Moon Pool, though.

This is my issue; I can build the Cyclops, but I still don't have a Moonpool.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Be aware with the moonpool the Seamoth charges very, very fast and also pulls down your power system very, very fast.

I got into a loop of WARNING... POWER RESTORED... WARNING... POWER RESTORED with the lights flickering off and on until I disconnected the Seamoth and significantly upgraded the power system.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A reef back somehow spawned by my escape pod and now it's making annoying noises and causing lag. Also there's furniture scattered around floating in mid-air?

Anyway this game is extremely hard to pull myself away from.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

I got into a loop of WARNING... POWER RESTORED... WARNING... POWER RESTORED with the lights flickering off and on until I disconnected the Seamoth and significantly upgraded the power system.
Yeah, I had that happen to me when I made my first base too big. That and the walls breaching.

I have the bioreactor and just got the conduits, so I'm having an easier time of it. That said, I hope they put in automation at some point.

Buca di Bepis posted:

Also there's furniture scattered around floating in mid-air?
Same thing happened to me; same items at the same places in two maps.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Buca di Bepis posted:

A reef back somehow spawned by my escape pod and now it's making annoying noises and causing lag. Also there's furniture scattered around floating in mid-air?

Anyway this game is extremely hard to pull myself away from.

Can the Seamoth electrocute one of the reef backs?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rhjamiz posted:

This is my issue; I can build the Cyclops, but I still don't have a Moonpool.

Stuff like this is why I'm convinced they are kind of scrambling to find some way to gate object progression, but don't have a smooth way to do it with how little we actually have to build.

I mean, we now start off with nothing but hallways. Because all they had to gate at the start was the only basic room type in the entire game. A lot of people are trying to play it off as "needing to be creative using hallways", but there really isn't anything creative about living out of a series of tubes that work just as well, except you are not allowed to install MP room only objects to them.

And, if you don't wiki up "Island thataway", natural exploration means you can easily end up with most of the MP room required stuff unlocked without having the MP room. (See above "I have moved on to the Cyclops, but still no Moonpool").

It can be as hard to unlock a bed as it is to unlock a nuclear reactor, the way things can turn out.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I think the intended progression is for you to use the signal beacon in the your lifepod to get pointed in the direction of the "base items".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've actually been wondering how the progression is going to work in the final version as well. There were official posts on the forums saying that they might be removing more default base items from the builder, so to start out you just have like two types of corridors and some lockers, and the rest you have to find.

Of course once you know where the floating island is, you can get pretty much everything else, so I'm wondering how they might try to gate that content. I mean, you don't even need the Seaglide to get to the island; just load up on cooked fish and water and you can swim there. Maybe they could make the water around the island super-cold so you need the Seamoth to get through without freezing or something?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Of course once you know where the floating island is, you can get pretty much everything else, so I'm wondering how they might try to gate that content. I mean, you don't even need the Seaglide to get to the island; just load up on cooked fish and water and you can swim there. Maybe they could make the water around the island super-cold so you need the Seamoth to get through without freezing or something?

Standard progressions aren't generally for people already familiar with the game. Ways to fast track acquisition for knowledgeable players are actually a good thing. Not everything needs to be strictly gated.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 30, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, that's a good point. I think the problem is that it's really clear how the progression is supposed to work at the end of all this.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, that's a good point. I think the problem is that it's really clear how the progression is supposed to work at the end of all this.

My suggestion: life pod has a rudimentary AI. It already tells you about the Aurora and what not. Just have it feed you signals from things. Part of the tech advancement is to build a base, build a computer to house the AI, build extra modules for it, build remote scanner outposts, etc.

"I'm detecting odd readings. Nonstandard frequencies. Build me a new antenna array."

"Signal is alien in origin. Unable to run language translation matrix due to insufficient processing capability. We need to find upgrades. I'd suggest looking around coordinate x. Fall analysis indicates part of the Aurora's data center would have landed around there."

And so on.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One thing I think the game could do is to make would be to utilize the comm unit more, too. Instead of fixing it and getting every message, have the AI contact you every hour or whatever with "New message received on comms". Or at the very least some way to know that you have messages waiting. When I played the first time, I didn't realize there were more messages after the initial joke one so I never got the various lifepod signals.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

One thing I think the game could do is to make would be to utilize the comm unit more, too. Instead of fixing it and getting every message, have the AI contact you every hour or whatever with "New message received on comms". Or at the very least some way to know that you have messages waiting. When I played the first time, I didn't realize there were more messages after the initial joke one so I never got the various lifepod signals.

The messages do actually come in over time, not all at once.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TheCenturion posted:

My suggestion: life pod has a rudimentary AI. It already tells you about the Aurora and what not. Just have it feed you signals from things. Part of the tech advancement is to build a base, build a computer to house the AI, build extra modules for it, build remote scanner outposts, etc.

"I'm detecting odd readings. Nonstandard frequencies. Build me a new antenna array."

"Signal is alien in origin. Unable to run language translation matrix due to insufficient processing capability. We need to find upgrades. I'd suggest looking around coordinate x. Fall analysis indicates part of the Aurora's data center would have landed around there."

And so on.

To satisfy people who would call that handholding, present it in the form of a Subnautica Wiki page :v:

On a more serious fanbase reaction note, they would be all over the base idea if it meant needing to unlock a Multipurpose room and other blueprints before it will tell you basic gameplay directives, instead of the current one and done com system... Though I can only imagine just how high a constant energy drain they would consider "enough".

Evil Mastermind posted:

Pros: It reminds you that you will need a laser cutter to access most of the things it is pointing you at.

Cons: Having it periodically remind you that you are not trying hard enough, if you still haven't found enough silver to build the first batch of tools/stations hours later.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Section Z posted:

On a more serious fanbase reaction note, they would be all over the base idea if it meant needing to unlock a Multipurpose room and other blueprints before it will tell you basic gameplay directives, instead of the current one and done com system... Though I can only imagine just how high a constant energy drain they would consider "enough".
I doubt it; when I went looking to see why I wasn't starting with the MP room after the update, people were flipping their poo poo because now their bases had to be made with just corridors to start, and they didn't want to live in cramped conditions like that.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I ended up getting the Multipurpose room in the Jellyshroom caves after getting the Seamoth, but that seems a bit late in progression. Is there an easier place to get it?

It seems like something you should be getting far earlier.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Met posted:

I ended up getting the Multipurpose room in the Jellyshroom caves after getting the Seamoth, but that seems a bit late in progression. Is there an easier place to get it?

Yeah, you can get it from the Floating Island that's pretty much a straight shot south from the lifepod.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Met posted:

You can get it from the Floating Island or the Mushroom Forest wreck.

I'm not sure what real purpose there is in gating the MP room, aside from taking either a little longer to be able to start using the Bioreactor if you know what you're doing, or a lot longer if you don't. That doesn't seem like a goal that's worth the increased hassle.

The game needs more signposts, because it's way too easy to get turned around and lost even with a compass and the thing you need might be in a zone that you had no idea even existed. Lifepod 17 is a good start, but some sort of wreckfinder tool would come in very handy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Signals shouldn't be an equip slot. it should just be a piece of data you can collect and track one at a time.

edit: Went a little hog wild with the suggestion.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 30, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
As of 6 minutes ago Multiplayer will definitely not be coming to Subnautica.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Doesn't surprise me, nor am I really disappointed tbh.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Good. Wasting time on adding a half-baked multiplayer wouldn't have helped anyone.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Night10194 posted:

Good. Wasting time on adding a half-baked multiplayer wouldn't have helped anyone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know why they couldn't add in Multiplayer later as DLC or something, but whatevs. I never really expected them to put it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Good. Not every game needs to have multiplayer.