Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Finished Bastok and San d'Oria missions. Now I'm off to swallow my pride and join the Land of Midgets and Catgirls for one more round of Shadow Lord fun.

I like how you learn a little secret in the San d'Oria missions that never comes up again: Princess Claidie moonlights as an adventurer.

frodnonnag posted:

He gave it back :v:

Good! Just remember to watch your zeroes next time! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hate needing vagary clears for empy reforged. Still need body, legs and hands.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Finished Bastok and San d'Oria missions. Now I'm off to swallow my pride and join the Land of Midgets and Catgirls for one more round of Shadow Lord fun.

I like how you learn a little secret in the San d'Oria missions that never comes up again: Princess Claidie moonlights as an adventurer.

Good! Just remember to watch your zeroes next time! :v:

I was trying to increment buy the hq. Paged up mistakenly

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Should I bother with the level 50 artifact quests? I'm leveling too fast to worry about level 50 armor.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Sprite141 posted:

Should I bother with the level 50 artifact quests? I'm leveling too fast to worry about level 50 armor.

You don't need it while leveling, but you'll need them eventually to upgrade. So either due them when you want a break from the grind, or power it out after you hit 99.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

The three sets, artifact, relic, and empyrean are all upgraded to 109 then 119. This leaves you with a ton of old content to power past.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Depends on the job. Some of them, you can skip the artifact armor completely.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Get it for /lockstyle since the 117 Sparks armor looks like poo poo. There are RoE quests related to the quests as well. They are super easy now that you can buy coffer keys from the moogle.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
So in 4 days i farmed 130m in plates and 53 pennons (another 75-100m when the price rebounds.)

Right now i'm sporting an extreme eye fatigue headache that i have had since sunday morning as i contemplate what my life has become.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
I am proud to have helped you hate yourself, if only in some small way.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I miss FFXI. :(

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Philip Rivers posted:

Then come back?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Come back and play the strange empty world where you slaughter mobs with npcs and earn 300 from easy prey and 1500-2000 from stronger mobs.

I haven't finished the rhaposodies so I'm sure it gets even higher.

I was level 59 blue mage yesterday and logged out at 70. It's wild. If I was really trying I could have easily gotten to 75 at least.

A goon helped me with a quest NM and was dumping damage as a 99BLU. they opened with an eight hit combo then pulled out a couple spells that did 3500 damage. It was awesome.

It's fun.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Come back and play the strange empty world where you slaughter mobs with npcs and earn 300 from easy prey and 1500-2000 from stronger mobs.

I was level 59 blue mage yesterday and logged out at 70. It's wild. If I was really trying I could have easily gotten to 75 at least.

A goon helped me with a quest NM and was dumping damage as a 99BLU. they opened with an eight hit combo then pulled out a couple spells that did 3500 damage. It was awesome.

It's fun.

You can get over 10k exp a kill, my smn frequently does 50k-99k damage moves, its great.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

It's fun.

Don't worry, if you miss the grind, you can always go for JP.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Philip Rivers posted:

Play FFXI, it's fun now!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

frodnonnag posted:

You can get over 10k exp a kill, my smn frequently does 50k-99k damage moves, its great.

:eyepop: I'm gated behind a bunch of chains quests. I really want that last trust slot.

Why are red mage trusts so flipping hard to find.

I've been using the bard you get from finishing the ROE basics and he's okay. Throwing rocks though, Jesus dude.

I also wish I could tell the trusts to not blow their weapon skills on mobs with 5% hp. Looking at you zeid 2. Ground striking at 3000 tp.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

What server do y'all play on anyway? I'm way tempted. Is the PlayOnline client still trash?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Philip Rivers posted:

What server do y'all play on anyway? I'm way tempted. Is the PlayOnline client still trash?

Asura, which is the defacto english server now. Evening est will see 1k to 1300 players.

Yes playonline is trash, but payment is handled by the se account website.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I used to play on Asura way back when! I transferred to Remora though and hell if I remember my decade old account credentials. Would be cool to log into my old character though with all of my uncapped jobs and wacky rare/EX CoP loot.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Philip Rivers posted:

I used to play on Asura way back when! I transferred to Remora though and hell if I remember my decade old account credentials. Would be cool to log into my old character though with all of my uncapped jobs and wacky rare/EX CoP loot.

I did this a few months ago, the reps are really cooperative and will let you sling guesses about what the hell you signed up with back in 2003. It's kind of a bummer to realize that all your top end CoP gear is literal worthless trash when the game was all about horizontal progression until the 2010 cap increase

What was really trippy was seeing names in my friends list I hadn't thought about in 10 years and remembering I got my joyeuse the same day I got my drivers license

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

:eyepop: I'm gated behind a bunch of chains quests. I really want that last trust slot.

Why are red mage trusts so flipping hard to find.

I've been using the bard you get from finishing the ROE basics and he's okay. Throwing rocks though, Jesus dude.

I also wish I could tell the trusts to not blow their weapon skills on mobs with 5% hp. Looking at you zeid 2. Ground striking at 3000 tp.

I got the portal charm.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

pretty soft girl posted:

I did this a few months ago, the reps are really cooperative and will let you sling guesses about what the hell you signed up with back in 2003. It's kind of a bummer to realize that all your top end CoP gear is literal worthless trash when the game was all about horizontal progression until the 2010 cap increase

What was really trippy was seeing names in my friends list I hadn't thought about in 10 years and remembering I got my joyeuse the same day I got my drivers license

I played for six years and never got past Maat so my gear wasn't good to begin with :ssh: I did have lots of cool random trinkets from all my exploring though!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FFXI is $30 on Amazon but I was wondering if anyone has seen it for cheaper? Someone wants me to play with them so i'm going to pick it up I think. I've only ever played during the old days when the game was super hardcore and even then it was only the trial.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

I said come in! posted:

FFXI is $30 on Amazon but I was wondering if anyone has seen it for cheaper? Someone wants me to play with them so i'm going to pick it up I think. I've only ever played during the old days when the game was super hardcore and even then it was only the trial.

Can probably get it on steam or a cd key place.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

frodnonnag posted:

Can probably get it on steam or a cd key place.

It's $40 on Steam, I think i'll just do that for the convenience. The installer on the official FFXI doesn't even work because it's ancient as gently caress.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

I said come in! posted:

It's $40 on Steam, I think i'll just do that for the convenience. The installer on the official FFXI doesn't even work because it's ancient as gently caress.

They sorta unclearly link to an updated pol installer for win7 or later.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
There were enough goons on earlier the linkshell menu had a scroll bar. :eyepop:

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Yea it's been nice lately and the fact you can have two linkshells equipped makes the game feel much livelier.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Kithyen posted:

Yea it's been nice lately and the fact you can have two linkshells equipped makes the game feel much livelier.

I wish that feature was in the game when I was still playing, I always hated having to shift back and forth between my competent event linkshell full of turbo dicks I couldn't stand and my social linkshell with otherwise fun people who couldn't take down bubbly bernie with a full alliance

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

So I took the plunge and downloaded this game. But I seem to have a problem: When I log in with my character the game looks terrible, can't read any NPC names, and there isn't any UI. The chat takes up a third of the screen and there aren't any UI buttons. So as far as I can tell, the only way to end the game is to make it crash my alt-tabbing. It's probably a graphics issue, but I can't get to any configuration menus. Anyone ever encounter anything like this?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What am I looking at? My phone is making the text way too small.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SettingSun posted:

So I took the plunge and downloaded this game. But I seem to have a problem: When I log in with my character the game looks terrible, can't read any NPC names, and there isn't any UI. The chat takes up a third of the screen and there aren't any UI buttons. So as far as I can tell, the only way to end the game is to make it crash my alt-tabbing. It's probably a graphics issue, but I can't get to any configuration menus. Anyone ever encounter anything like this?

Did you run the configuration? It's a separate executable.

Installdir\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\ToolsUS (or EU)\FINAL FANTASY XI Config.exe

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

SettingSun posted:

You need to adjust the settings and download windower.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
And please, for the love of Altana, set the aspect ratio in game to that of your monitor.

I'm not sure what it is about FFXI but it's the only game where half of the screenshots and videos people post are all some hosed up aspect ratio and everything is all squished and the characters are all fat.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Celador posted:

And please, for the love of Altana, set the aspect ratio in game to that of your monitor.

I'm not sure what it is about FFXI but it's the only game where half of the screenshots and videos people post are all some hosed up aspect ratio and everything is all squished and the characters are all fat.

I do this because I'm used to seeing my elvaan not as an emaciated calvin Klein model and humes as roided out freaks

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Thanks guys, I got it sorted out. Windower was a huge help, and I didn't exactly know what to expect in regards to the interface so I had to look up how menus work and such. I'm having a good time so far, though this game feels like a relic of the past, in the best way. So many things you take for granted, missing.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
It's also a game that was developed for the PS2 so playing with a controller will make your time in game much easier, IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is that a joke? because i feel like i remember having to type out macros using a virtual keyboard to make any of my abilities useful