Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack
Oath Complete claiming theme challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I'm going to have to declare an Oath Failed; due to a combination of trying to do too many things this month and sucking at most of them. Oh well, at least I'll have a couple of potential whales to save!

Oh, and congratulations to NTRabbit on the terrain prize draw! That was some cool stuff you did last month.

e: goddamn phone posting

Thanks :buddy: got some more coming this month, hoping to finish the last bit of it tomorrow, and a Worldsmith package is racing its way across the Pacific already.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
OATH COMPLETE!

Clearly I still have to brush off some of that extra flock xD

Claiming Jurnal for the smoke on Smoke. :)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Impaler posted:

I, The Impaler Oath for August, one Privateer Press, Protectorate of Menoth Castigator

Priming in two colours is not verboten?

Approved! I guess 2 colours should be fine as we allow zenithal priming. The main thing is you haven't started painting at the time of the photo.

Hummingbird James
Jan 3, 2013
Oath Complete!

Gonna claim the Technical Challenge for that OSL on his eye.

Decided to go with a darker scheme for this chap, as befitting a more stealthy unit. Kinda screwed up on the eye as I was trying to keep it somewhat contained, but I decided "eh gently caress it" and audibled into what it is now. I think it worked out kinda okay? The main thing I need to work on is my highlighting, figuring out how to go and how to not make it a heavy handed mess, and also being less liberal with the weathering. I need to learn how to take photos better, too, but for a rushjob done on a bed, it worked out okay.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

wdarkk posted:

I, wdarkk, oath six bases of Razorworms for August (Hawk Wargames, 10mm, white metal).

These guys aren't really going to get anything special done to them, the real deal will be the oath additions. Exactly what will be added will be decided soon.

wdarkk posted:

Oath addition: one Reaver Gunship and one Corruptor Gunship for Dropzone Commander (Hawk, 10mm, Resin)

wdarkk posted:

Big Oath Addition since I'm changing up my list for Nova Open. One Overseer, one Despoiler, four bases of Warriors, Three Hunter Main Grav Tanks, all 10mm Hawk Wargames resin or white metal.

Oath Complete! Phew!

I like the basing I did for these guys. It doesn't really come across well in the photo, but it looks pretty good for how quick it was. I'm trying to simulate the "urban rubble" you see in places like Syria, so I used coarser basing grit, grey paint, and Elmer's glue. For some reason the photo is MUCH browner than the real thing.

These guys didn't come out well for some reason. I think the primer I used might not work very well with metal 10mm minis, so I switched primers for the Warriors (which were done after these guys). The warriors had a lot less "detail obliteration" than these guys did. This was also the first attempt at a basing style like I did for the Warriors, but I didn't use the basing grit. Glue by itself just didn't have enough body after it dried. You might see these guys as a rescue in a couple months since I'm mad about how the detail got obliterated. Don't really want to totally redo them right now, had enough to do this month.

Hunters came out fine, they'll make my old plastic hunters look like crap (not because the resin version is better, but because I learned how to use a wash properly between then and now).

Reaver and Corruptor lookin good. I decided to add some purple to the color scheme since having a big blue surface was kind of meh. I think it works pretty well. I'll try and improve my blending by the time Dropfleet is here, since that there is 2/3 of the color scheme I'll be using.

Desolator. I did some more blending there. Something caused the paint on the lower left wing to be a little weird but I mostly fixed it.

Overseer, the star of the show, even if it's really just there to make everyone else work better. Camera seems to make it look dirtier than it really is.

I'm planning on using it for Dungeons and Dragons as well, as a far-realm monster.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
I, Ledgem, Oath for august one Super Dungeon Explore miniboss monster

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Oath complete!

Its all Quiet on the Martian Front

Meanwhile, in the future....

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

Zark the Damned posted:

Approved! I guess 2 colours should be fine as we allow zenithal priming. The main thing is you haven't started painting at the time of the photo.

Thanks Zark!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Due to some real life stuff coming up, I wasn't able to really get much hobby time in. I am going to have to declare Oath Failed

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
I LewdMonocle Oath ONE Ember 32mm from CoolMini's Dark Age

Ive been sick all month hope I squeak this in!

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
:sun:Oath complete!:sun: I've actually had these guys ready for almost two weeks now and completely forgot to post the pictures.

Claiming journal for the flaming skull and OSL on this guy.

Also claiming Box Art for these dog zombies

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oath Complete!

Lighting makes a difference. Who would have thought!
Still need the bases but those don't count and I'm lazy.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I, Thundercloud, have successfully completed my Oath.

#SquadGoals

Highlights? Getting the Isorian squad done. Nice models with a lot of character and detail. Also happy to get more than 2/3s of the points for my Ghar force out of the way.

Next month a Carcharadon Kill Team and more Antares.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
OATH COMPLETE

Claiming WIPphotos

Final Spray down

Final Pictures
2nd Company 2nd Squad

5th Company 2nd Squad

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 1, 2016

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thundercloud posted:

I, Thundercloud, have successfully completed my Oath.

#SquadGoals

Awesome work! I have the starter Ghar and I'm getting Algoryn soon.

Anyways, I mentioned it breifly but...

Thanks Zark the Damned!

Anyways, paint something *punk to win some Aetherium in September. I'll probably report this as a reminder this weekend as well. Be sure to mark finished entries as Punks love Dick so I can find them.

Could be anything really. Cyber, Diesel, Steam, Music. I'm not picky, even though I could be. Yeah I'm talking to you, guy you puts gears on a top hat and thinks he is edgy.
This is also a great time to read a book and paint something related to Philip K Dick. "But, Philip K Dick is more scifi than cyberpunk!" Well, it is my contest, isn't it? Anyways, if you paint a reference to Dick or write a story related to anything Philip K Dick has done you will get double points. That's like twice as many! Each point is an entry to win an enhanced Aetherium boxset! Enhanced by including darn near everything for the Nanomei and Axiom factions, plus some sneak peek models from Ikaru.

What is Aetherium? An awesome board/miniatures game. The highlights of the game is using a resource to actually move the board around, a neat way of building your armies, some great scenarios, and it is fairly cheap to get into! Set in a cyberpunk setting, of course!
It's basically the matrix as written by Philip K Dick. Check it out at: http://www.anvil-eight.com/

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I, TerraGoetia am oathing a 4 Point Saracen Warband for SAGA: Crescent and Cross, for September!

1 Armored Saracen Warlord (Not pictured; waiting for shipping)
4 Mounted Hearthguards (built)
8 Mounted Warriors with Bows (6 built)
8 Warriors on foot (on sprue)
12 Levies with Bows (on sprue)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

LordAba posted:

What is Aetherium? An awesome board/miniatures game.
Can confirm, Aetherium is rad as gently caress.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I oath to rescue this blue wizard dude from Reaper Bones in 28mm

Oath Complete!

Claiming Rescue on this guy

I'm liking how this guy turned out. With the exception of the hands, face, and a few of his trinkets, I did everything with washes. I probably could've thrown some highlights on him to brighten him up, but I got distracted by my Bolt Action Sherman.

Dimo ArKacho fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 31, 2016

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Oath Complete!

Claiming the Journal for my attempt at a flame tattoo on the right wrist. I am greatly displeased by how that tattoo turned out, sadly.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Oath Complete!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Oath complete

Or as close as I get, since the bases I ordered for them have not arrived yet.

Anyways, I promised to add to the prize support for the July terrain competition, so let's see who the fickle gods of random.org deem worthy. Counting the list Germ posted, I get....

Grey Hunter!

You are the lucky winner of a gift certificate of choice to a value of 20 USD, or a custom made terrain piece of choice (within reason). I'm just warning you that I'll be a bit more busy this autumn that I expected when I offered this prize, so it might take a little while depending on the terrain piece. Congratulations!

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Oath Complete!

Bit of a rush job, as I finished 5 minutes ago and have to leave the house in 10 minutes. Still, it looks alright on the table.

And I tidied up my painting area! so claiming spring cleaning as well

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Oath complete!

Claiming Speed painting! and I rolled a 6! for the Frostgrave treasure tokens.

glitchkrieg posted:

I, glitchkrieg, oath 6 Frostgrave Treasure Tokens (North Star Figures) for the month of August

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:pgabz: OATH COMPLETE :pgabz:

Microwave Array

Lightning Cannon

Chevron seven, locked!

Control Room. I call this one the RTS chair.

Hex containers, in special medical cryo livery

Claiming the monthly challenge, and playing my :australia: card to swap seasonal challenges - using my mostly white hex containers to claim So C-C-Cold! it’s the middle of winter and my snot is frozen solid!, which means that in January I'll be doing Augut's heat wave challenge

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
Oath Complete!

Challenge
Both fire and OSL!

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Oath Complete

Dr. Arkadius, Bone Grinders, and Experimental Subjects #1 and #2.

Does anyone have any photography tips for people who have models that look nice on the table and hideous in photos? I'm using a basic miniature setting on my camera, but I always feel like the pictures are way uglier than the models.

counterspin fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 31, 2016

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oath Complete!

Here are my two fireflys!

Claiming the August Technical challenge! for the glow from the guns and on the spears.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

counterspin posted:

Does anyone have any photography tips for people who have models that look nice on the table and hideous in photos? I'm using a basic miniature setting on my camera, but I always feel like the pictures are way uglier than the models.

There's this in the painting thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post442594526

Also minis almost always look worse in photos, because they magnify any small mistakes you've made that you would never notice on the tabletop.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

JackMack posted:

I, JackMack, oath five Scavengers by Copplestone Castings

Alas I have to admit defeat. Oath Broken .I have brought shame to my family. Sadly between work and my children choosing to work as a continuous nocturnal tag team for a nmber of weeks I have had less painting time. I shall hopefully be Saving Da Whales in due course.

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne
Oath Complete

Not gonna say it's my best work, but lots been going on, just happy to have more stuff painted. Also, bonus shot of a mini-diorama sort of something I really should finish!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ledgem posted:

I, Ledgem, Oath for august one Super Dungeon Explore miniboss monster

LewdMonocle posted:

I LewdMonocle Oath ONE Ember 32mm from CoolMini's Dark Age

Ive been sick all month hope I squeak this in!

Accepted!

TerraGoetia posted:

I, TerraGoetia am oathing a 4 Point Saracen Warband for SAGA: Crescent and Cross, for September!

You're jumping the gun a bit, September's Oathing hasn't yet started! Also you need to include everything you're painting in your pics, if something hasn't arrived yet you'll need to oath it later as an addition.

counterspin posted:

Oath Complete

Dr. Arkadius, Bone Grinders, and Experimental Subjects #1 and #2.

No photography tips, but you probably want to add your name to those piggy pics so they can go in the gallery. ;)

:siren: 14 Hours Remain for August Oathing & Completions! :siren: (according to https://oath-countdown.appspot.com/ )

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Hmm, I always thought that you only needed a name in one photo for it to count. I'm reposting them here and will go back and edit them into my original post.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Looks like I have to bow out on doing an August Oath. College starting up again and moving apartments has taken all my free time.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath Complete!

Damned nearly screwed up posting this, working over the Uk bank holiday weekend has screwed up my concept of what day it is and I thought I had another 24hours. Last minute rustings applied!

Didn't give myself enough time/chickened out on doing glow effects for the ambulance lights, plus I realised when I was almost done that I have lost the mounting pieces for the back lights so had to greenstuff the holes up instead. :doh:

Isn't this thing just dinky?

Claiming Box Art for my cops. Because there are only so many ways to paint cops!

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete!

Claiming fire/OSL jurnal for the guy with the flamethrower.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Galaspar posted:

Oath Complete!

Claiming fire/OSL jurnal for the guy with the flamethrower.

Loving the old school Beaky who has to stand on rocks to contend with the scale creep of his brethren :v:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Oath complete!

Claiming [b[jurnal[/b] for the flames on Iggy's hands.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

glitchkrieg posted:

Oath complete!

Claiming Speed painting! and I rolled a 6! for the Frostgrave treasure tokens.

Are these images broken for anyone else? I just looked at this thread at home and they're coming up as broken :/

Direct link seems to work though:

http://xerode.net/img/sa/oath/08_chaos_warrior.jpg

http://xerode.net/img/sa/oath/08_goblin_fanatics.jpg

http://xerode.net/img/sa/oath/08_frostgrave_tokens_03.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oath Complete

I am claiming the theme with the smoke on this guy. Not totally sure I am happy with the effect, but I think its the best this iteration is going to get. :shrug:

• Locked thread