Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I try to keep my butchering area apart from my kitchen and freezer. I always keep the animal corpses in the freezer tho without any issues. It seems to mostly be the massive blood pools around the butcher table.

I suppose using work tab I could make some guy who has cleaning #1, butchering #2, and restrict him to nothing but the kitchen, freezer, bedroom, and common area so he exists only to butcher things then clean up after himself, but that seems like more work than it's worth :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Somberbrero posted:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I just started playing a day ago.

I finally got a colony actually running. No raiders with grenade launchers, food infrastructure is solid enough to last through winter, everyone has heating and cooling options in their stupidly large rooms, and my turret defenses please me greatly.

Is that all gone with the update? I guess my bad for having auto-updates on, but is there some option to update a save file or what?

If you go to the beta options you can activate v14 to go back to the previous version. Then turn auto-update off.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Turning auto update off doesn't do any good because of the way Steam works. It'll still patch to the newest version as soon as you try to launch the game. The beta opt in method is the only way. Just be glad Tynan isn't one of the zillion developers who doesn't offer you that option!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Turning auto-update off just lets you see when there's an update queued up, then if you don't want to update, you can set steam to offline mode before launching the game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What are your favorite backer characters? I got a pawn nicknamed Engie with great construction and crafting skills once who was absolutely awesome until he got eaten by a horde of angry chinchillas.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I had a backer named Agent that had the backstory of being autistic and something else. Couldn't do anything but shoot and I think tame animals, but both were low skills like 8 or something.

He did however have all his organs that found lovely homes :getin:

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
you can roll up some pretty baller Sparkles as well

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lumi is very useful but she shows up way too often.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Why is there no default painkiller drug? Was really expecting a morphine analog to perscribe your injured colonists to take away their "in pain" malus.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Elth posted:

I'm just waiting until Tynan eventually nerfs frozen food.

"You have researched the microwave oven!"

edit: With the expanded drug system, I'm interested to see what modding possibilities have been opened up. With marijuana, crack, meth, and cocaine already in as well as some fantasy drugs, it should be relatively easy to get stuff like coffee and tobacco. Maybe even stuff like LSD which induces a minor mental break in exchange for a random mood modifier. Or something like steroids, which gives increasing physical buffs and health debuffs as addiction builds up. What about some kind of amnesia drug that puts a colonist in a short coma, but wipes all their moodlets, social stats and bonds? Hell, some fantasy health potion made of nanites that regenerates wounds at the risk of brain damage would be cool.

You read my flowers for algernon mod planning document didn't you?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For whatever reason I always end up capturing Blue.

She is a generally well rounded raider that can shoot stuff, crafting, and construction.

Like every game she gets captured and converted, but this time she was in my crashed pods so yay i guess.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LLSix posted:

What are your favorite backer characters? I got a pawn nicknamed Engie with great construction and crafting skills once who was absolutely awesome until he got eaten by a horde of angry chinchillas.

Engie is great. Darkeye isn't worth starting with, because pretty much all he can do is kill, but he's worth picking up if he shows up. Otherwise, they all seem pretty standard.

e: LSD should cause a random mental break, and then reroll the pawn's traits. :getin:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What does it mean when a raid group is "unusually clever with their tactics"?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It means watch out!!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

In my last game I captured Braddock, while he couldn't haul the fact he was good at growing/cooking/art, meant he was really useful for harvest and as the main chef. Any downtime and he made statues about vomit wonderful art.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Attacking that rare thrumbus was a mistake.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
The thumbos were way tankier than I expected, yeah

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

What's the deal with explosive traps?

Had to dismantle mine because my dudes kept walking over them. Can the colonists not see them like the spike traps?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Attacking that rare thrumbus was a mistake.

I was out of food. Only animal on the map was a thrumbo.

He solved my food problem, but not in the way I was expecting!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Killing Thrumbos sort of requires a line of turrets you can have whoever shot the thrumbo first to run in circles past. Otherwise you'll end up with a couple dead colonists.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

How can you tell if a dude is a backer dude

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

They show up in lots of games with the same backstory and name. Everyone else is randomly generated.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

If the backstory sounds like DBZ or 40k fan fiction, you probably have a backer character.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Heffer posted:

If the backstory sounds like DBZ or 40k fan fiction, you probably have a backer character.

Tynan makes sure that the backstories fit to the lore of the game.

You can choose a backstory, a name, and traits you would like your character to have.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tribals in Rimworld: Use a man. If that don't work, use more man.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Had the movie "the station agent" playing in the background and one of the songs sounded exactly like the catchy music in this game. Same artist perhaps?

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

Tynan makes sure that the backstories fit to the lore of the game.

You can choose a backstory, a name, and traits you would like your character to have.

So furries are lore friendly? There's one guy that's some kind of animal person.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Genetic engineering is lore friendly with the setting but I doubt he actually appears as an animal person as a pawn.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
If there is any hint of anything even remotely resembling a furry, rest assured that goons will sniff it out and loudly proclaim how awful it is to everyone else so they don't look like someone who's actively looking for furry poo poo.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

methinks the goon doth protest too much

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

packetmantis posted:

If there is any hint of anything even remotely resembling a furry, rest assured that goons will sniff it out and loudly proclaim how awful it is to everyone else so they don't look like someone who's actively looking for furry poo poo.

Exactly the thing a furry would say.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Why does this game have infestations but not flamethrowers. loving bugs :argh:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Exactly the thing a furry would say.

:agreed:

Away all Goats posted:

Why does this game have infestations but not flamethrowers. loving bugs :argh:

I remember there being a pretty good mod that implements flamethrowers, shouldn't be hard to find.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Welp, restarted the game after letting it run for the last few days because it was starting to get a little laggy. Updated to A15, so much for that colony. Now to find something else to play while I wait for mods to update!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

NatasDog posted:

Welp, restarted the game after letting it run for the last few days because it was starting to get a little laggy. Updated to A15, so much for that colony. Now to find something else to play while I wait for mods to update!

Just switch to the A14 beta branch and keep playing.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
I'm actually surprised there haven't been a flood a mods that let my colonists do gravity bong hits off of smoke leaf.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mood penalty: -5 second hand smoke
Mood penalty: - 10 annoying stoners nearby

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Internet Explorer posted:

Mood penalty: -35 second hand smoke
Mood penalty: - 50 annoying stoners nearby
Mood penalty: -5 limb recently lost

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Squeegy posted:

Just switch to the A14 beta branch and keep playing.

I tried, colony manager updated to a15 and I'm not seeing an a14 posted on the workshop. The Ludeon forums are a laggy mess, but I might bite the bullet tomorrow and downgrade that and the 8 or 9 other mods that updated as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

packetmantis posted:

I honestly find the predisposition of furry types to inserting the fur stuff into everything else's canon kind of off-putting, but I suppose that's pretty normal for other fan groups. It was just jarring to see it in rimworld. The genetic engineering slant makes sense though.