Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
yugoslavia with tito

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I bet Poland is going to be dlc because they've concluded that while the polish will be elated to have Poland in the game, they'd also be willing to pay significantly more for it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Include Canada as a playable civ. Our Mountie unique unit is okay but the Avro Arrow really sucks despite sounding really badass in its tooltip, and we're crap at generating culture

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I bet Poland is going to be dlc because they've concluded that while the polish will be elated to have Poland in the game, they'd also be willing to pay significantly more for it.

They should release Poland as a much-hyped DLC but give it no uniques at all.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

+30% to being unexpectedly invaded

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Diplomat posted:

Include Canada as a playable civ. Our Mountie unique unit is okay but the Avro Arrow really sucks despite sounding really badass in its tooltip, and we're crap at generating culture

Unique Ability: Building maintenance multiplies by 5 for every trade route you share with a Civ on another continent.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Koramei posted:

The official civs are several cuts above what modders can do in terms of quality. Even for Civ V the very best leader mods don't look as good, as the official ones, and they're even more complex to create now.

People blame game companies/ publishers for making it hard to mod for the past 8 years or so for why there haven't been so many gigantic overhauls as there used to be, and while that's part of it, its also just that creating assets for AAA strategy games that look the part is generally beyond the skill level of your average teenager these days. Things were a lot simpler 10-15 years ago.

"Creating assets" is the least important part of moddability though. Civ4 was incredibly moddable and art assets were easily referenced. The quality of those assets has nothing to do with the moddability of the game though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

All of Canada's Great Writers/Artists/Musicians spawn under America's control.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Powercrazy posted:

"Creating assets" is the least important part of moddability though. Civ4 was incredibly moddable and art assets were easily referenced. The quality of those assets has nothing to do with the moddability of the game though.

Uh, well okay, so in your opinion what actually is the important part of modability then? Because we actually have been getting stat changes even in some of the least moddable strategy games out there these days.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I for one would happily buy a Civ DCL for the fancy leader screen even if there was a free mod that had all the traits. I can't be the only one.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Koramei posted:

Uh, well okay, so in your opinion what actually is the important part of modability then? Because we actually have been getting stat changes even in some of the least moddable strategy games out there these days.

Being able to influence the map after generation is very important. Being able to treat all tiles as land, or ocean, or some new type of terrain is important. Placement of cities independent of terrain. Being able to run arbitrary python (or other) scripts in response to game triggers, including player actions.

Basically being able to change the existing game mechanics (German tanks now have +100% attack power vs France), and create new mechanics (psi combat from Alpha Centauri), as well as the initial map conditions (creating a volcano event which creates a mountain or destroys a city) after map generation, New City States are created after some event, all city States are destroyed after some event, etc. Swapping a leader portrait for hitler is obviously part of that but that is hardly scratching the surface for modding.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Basically, look at the Fall From Heaven mod for Civ4; everything you could do there you should have been able to do in Civ5, but you couldn't because of crappy modding infrastructure.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Better yet, own no possessions at all, it makes travelling easy and allows you to live the life of a gentle cynic, thus matching your attitude.

I don't know - stuff like that just seems kind of stupid. I mean it's Civ VI. It's not really special.

I cannot possibly imagine looking back in five years and saying, "Oh, I'm so happy I have some generic mass produced coin with Civ VI stamped on it, glad I didn't miss out on that."

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
But it was less mass produced than other coins!!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

John F Bennett posted:

+30% to being unexpectedly invaded

Starts with unique luxury: Potatoes which gives +5 amenities and +50% defence to all cities in empire.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

OwlFancier posted:

Starts with unique luxury: Potatoes which gives +5 amenities and +50% defence to all cities in empire.

Ireland already has a civ.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Powercrazy posted:

Being able to influence the map after generation is very important. Being able to treat all tiles as land, or ocean, or some new type of terrain is important. Placement of cities independent of terrain. Being able to run arbitrary python (or other) scripts in response to game triggers, including player actions.

Basically being able to change the existing game mechanics (German tanks now have +100% attack power vs France), and create new mechanics (psi combat from Alpha Centauri), as well as the initial map conditions (creating a volcano event which creates a mountain or destroys a city) after map generation, New City States are created after some event, all city States are destroyed after some event, etc. Swapping a leader portrait for hitler is obviously part of that but that is hardly scratching the surface for modding.

Hell, this even tripped up the dev team when they were developing Gods & Kings. They wanted the Dutch to have the ability to turn coasts into land, but map tiles were really hard-coded in Civ V.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Peas and Rice posted:

Ireland already has a civ.

Ireland should have a unique extra religion pick where cities with the Irish religion can build theme pubs to generate gold but which also generate culture for Ireland.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

SlyFrog posted:

I don't know - stuff like that just seems kind of stupid. I mean it's Civ VI. It's not really special.

I cannot possibly imagine looking back in five years and saying, "Oh, I'm so happy I have some generic mass produced coin with Civ VI stamped on it, glad I didn't miss out on that."

Oh sure, but "why bother owning things that take up physical space, those 6 coins will make your move impossible" is a bit of a damp argument. The coins don't do a whole lot for me, nor do knick knacks in general, but I wouldn't drag somebody else for enjoying them. Plus, as far as video game knick knacks go, those look pretty decent quality.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Why would anybody buy dlc when they could just download some popular mods?

Mods like:
Overpowered civs made by nationalists
MLP
Hitler
Mods that add a bunch of eclectic features by somebody with no sense of game design
UI redesign
Complex complete overhaul mod sfor nerds who miss civ iv

i think if the same people who have been doing civ v modding carry over to vi, there is likely to be a lot of really good stuff very early on. Basically all of Tomatekh's mods are exceptionally high-quality while not being too drastic (i'm a fan of the Historical Religions mod which basically just adds like a hundred new religion icons solely for the purpose of being able to play literally every imaginable civilization with their actual religion), the Colonialist Legacies and More Civilizations teams have put out a metric ton of excellent civs, and JFD has a lot of really interesting add-ons that push the game into being a tiny bit more Paradox-ey while not overriding the core mechanics too drastically

obviously that's going to be like 10% of the total mod throughput if that, but basically if you're just looking at the steam workshop with everything equal it'll be hard to find things, the trick is that the civfanatics forums has a lot of people working their butts off and their prominent names are ones that should quickly grab attention on release

also a thing I nearly forgot - mods are not going to replace DLC because usually these modders have their stuff require DLC to ensure they have the most options at their disposal

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010

Aerdan posted:

Civilization VI 25th Anniversary Edition announced, which includes a few physical bonuses in addition to the stuff available in the digital deluxe edition.

So what's on the coins.? ...Civ2's council?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gyra_Solune posted:

i think if the same people who have been doing civ v modding carry over to vi

That's a pretty big assumption. Modding was a selling point they used in 5, and the mod support is far from good - it feels like the better mods are in spite of the game rather than being facilitated by it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Basically, look at the Fall From Heaven mod for Civ4; everything you could do there you should have been able to do in Civ5, but you couldn't because of crappy modding infrastructure.

Fall from Heaven 2 may be my favorite Civ gaming experience, and I was quite disappointed nothing like it could ever be made for V.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Ireland should have a unique extra religion pick where cities with the Irish religion can build theme pubs to generate gold but which also generate culture for Ireland.

Irish culture points are actually negative ones, they start with all policies unlocked and lose them as time goes on.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

i think if the same people who have been doing civ v modding carry over to vi, there is likely to be a lot of really good stuff very early on. Basically all of Tomatekh's mods are exceptionally high-quality while not being too drastic (i'm a fan of the Historical Religions mod which basically just adds like a hundred new religion icons solely for the purpose of being able to play literally every imaginable civilization with their actual religion), the Colonialist Legacies and More Civilizations teams have put out a metric ton of excellent civs, and JFD has a lot of really interesting add-ons that push the game into being a tiny bit more Paradox-ey while not overriding the core mechanics too drastically

obviously that's going to be like 10% of the total mod throughput if that, but basically if you're just looking at the steam workshop with everything equal it'll be hard to find things, the trick is that the civfanatics forums has a lot of people working their butts off and their prominent names are ones that should quickly grab attention on release

also a thing I nearly forgot - mods are not going to replace DLC because usually these modders have their stuff require DLC to ensure they have the most options at their disposal

I should say I do like the civ v mods, I was just being dismissive because I don't think modding for any game will ever take substantial profit from dlc for many reasons.

E: basically anybody involved enough in the game to want to get into the mods are already so thoroughly gone that they're also going to get the dlc

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Kajeesus posted:

Hell, this even tripped up the dev team when they were developing Gods & Kings. They wanted the Dutch to have the ability to turn coasts into land, but map tiles were really hard-coded in Civ V.

I really hope they get this in an expansion

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Kajeesus posted:

There were a few mods for civ V that allowed your workers to build pontoon bridges or canals. I never found one that actually worked.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

limp_cheese posted:

There were a few mods for civ V that allowed your workers to build pontoon bridges or canals. I never found one that actually worked.

You could get some to work if you saved and reloaded after building the improvement.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I use this one and I've never seen it not work.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Oh sure, but "why bother owning things that take up physical space, those 6 coins will make your move impossible" is a bit of a damp argument. The coins don't do a whole lot for me, nor do knick knacks in general, but I wouldn't drag somebody else for enjoying them. Plus, as far as video game knick knacks go, those look pretty decent quality.

People are entitled to enjoy whatever they want. On the physical space angle, even that type of small clutter tends to add up over time.

But my overall point was, I personally don't really see the value in having some mass produced coin for the sixth game in a series. I cannot possibly imagine how that would be in any way meaningful down the road. But that's just me.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If you buy the collector's edition during a golden age, do you get an extra coin?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

One day I'll hope they'll add some diplomatic punishment for city states given how fickle they are at abandoning allies for another civ. I don't want them to get it on with nobody else but me. :argh:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I use this one and I've never seen it not work.

I was gonna say, I find it hard to believe pontoon bridges have problems when there's a campaign in V that very specifically utilizes them heavily.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If you buy the collector's edition during a golden age, do you get an extra coin?

I don't think Civ4's collector's edition came with a coin

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Those Civ VI coins will go great next to my Pop! Vinyl collection.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

The Human Crouton posted:

Those Civ VI coins will go great next to my Pop! Vinyl collection.

Pop! Civ6 leaders.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm looking forward to this game!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I am also looking forward to this game

... 's complete pack in two or three years.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed a flawed Civ 5 on release and I will enjoy a (probably) flawed Civ 6 on release. You could probably say I just enjoy Civ. Come to think of it, I've played every Civ on day 1 of release going back to Civ 2 (which is unironically still my favorite Civ game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

While I expect civ vi to be flawed on release, I think it's reasonable to expect it to be better than civ v was.

Then again, Beyond Earth