Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

King of Foolians posted:

No Birth Certificate? Good luck to your child in 16 years when they are trying to get a driver's license. Or a Passport. Or register to vote.
Congratulations on your child not being "State Property" (whatever that means) but unless you are planning on living in a commune forever they are going to have to participate in society eventually. I'm sure your kid will be grateful you made a lot of future paperwork issues harder for them for your weirdo beliefs.

With no vaccines they'll probably be thankful just to reach 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well let's just say she's lucky that other people's parents aren't idiots and have vaccinated them so that she might benefit from herd immunity.

"look my kid isn't getting sick!" yeah well maybe that's because reasonable and responsive adults vaccinated their kids and prevented spread of diseases you useless poo poo bag.

Stuntman posted:

Yeah, that loving tumblr parlance calling pedophiles pedophiles :psyduck:

But it's just storiiiiies. Some might even say... Art. Have you ever heard of

Lolita? :smug:

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Fathis Munk posted:

But it's just storiiiiies. Some might even say... Art. Have you ever heard of

Lolita? :smug:

Arent most fanfic writers teenage girls writing about people their own age? It seems to me that any sex or relationships they write about is for quite a different reason

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ro5s posted:

With no vaccines they'll probably be thankful just to reach 16.
I'm more worried about "placenta still attached". Is that going to be the next call to action? After no more circumcision at birth, no more cutting umbilical cords? God meant all of us to be able to sling our friendly placentas over our shoulders?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
They are ephebphiles man. As early as 12 females develop secondary sexual features like pubic hair and breasts. Girls become women. And furthermore it isn't creepy because <insert whatever super creepy justification is em vogue right now>.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Magnusth posted:

Arent most fanfic writers teenage girls writing about people their own age? It seems to me that any sex or relationships they write about is for quite a different reason

a p. dece number continue to write about the same things as they turn 18, then 20, then 24, and so on

idgaf what weird people do in fictional stuff, but them trying to claim it's not weird is always funny

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Wedge Regret
Then there is the weird American fascination with high school so everything seems to be set there no matter the authors age.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

apatheticman posted:

Then there is the weird American fascination with high school so everything seems to be set there no matter the authors age.

No, there's just an extreme amount of overlap between people who obsess over high school and fanfiction/dumb poo poo on social media or whatever. It's more of a personality flaw than anything else (who gives a poo poo about high school anymore after 5 years out?).

Souliman Aktapan
May 22, 2007
Oh no

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm more worried about "placenta still attached". Is that going to be the next call to action? After no more circumcision at birth, no more cutting umbilical cords? God meant all of us to be able to sling our friendly placentas over our shoulders?

I made the mistake of looking this up, and it apparently a thing. It's called a lotus birth, and they cart the placenta around with the baby until it falls off because it ~natural~. A cursory GIS showed me some lovely picture of hunks of meat covered in rose petals and crystals.

I've developed a pretty high tolerance to grossness by now, but for some reason this really bothers me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Most natural thing would be to have the mother gnaw off the umbilical cord and then immediately flee the delivery room as to avoid attracting predators.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Souliman Aktapan posted:

I made the mistake of looking this up, and it apparently a thing. It's called a lotus birth, and they cart the placenta around with the baby until it falls off because it ~natural~. A cursory GIS showed me some lovely picture of hunks of meat covered in rose petals and crystals.

I've developed a pretty high tolerance to grossness by now, but for some reason this really bothers me.

I'm guessing you didn't get to the part where the mother eats it, right?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Honestly the lotus birth is the least worrying part of that post.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Doesn't the placenta naturally come out on its own after childbirth?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Small Frozen Thing posted:

a p. dece number continue to write about the same things as they turn 18, then 20, then 24, and so on

idgaf what weird people do in fictional stuff, but them trying to claim it's not weird is always funny

Just type out "a pretty decent" goddamn dude. You're not sending a text.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Panfilo posted:

Yes, but it's still attached to the baby via umbilical cord. I guess instead of cutting the cord like a normal person, these people are waiting for it to shrivel up and fall off or something.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Small Frozen Thing posted:

apatheticman posted:

Also a lot of animu stuff, same situation. I assume the majority of it is just fans not maturing much and overidentifying with YA stuff, rather than growing out of it and moving on to more age-appropro fiction. It's still weird and sometimes creepy, but more in the "foam video" sense than the "needs to stay away from school zones" sense. Calling it "pedophilia" seems a little extreme, at least, in the same way that calling a kiss without consent "rape" would be- both pretty bad things, but not at the same level.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hardcordion posted:

Yes, but it's still attached to the baby via umbilical cord. I guess instead of cutting the cord like a normal person, these people are waiting for it to shrivel up and fall off or something.

Which doesn't even make sense from a "natural" standpoint cause most mammal mothers just eat both the placenta and the cord soon after birth

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ok Fella posted:

whatever grandpa *kickflips through a stained glass window*

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
What bothers me most is not spelling placenta right. Do they even CARE?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Alaois posted:

whatever grandpa *kickflips through a stained glass window*

Get off my loving lawn or I'm going to pepper spray you in the balls.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

trickybiscuits posted:

What bothers me most is not spelling placenta right. Do they even CARE?

Placentia was last sieged in the early 1700's so good to know it's still holding on to its track record!

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Which doesn't even make sense from a "natural" standpoint cause most mammal mothers just eat both the placenta and the cord soon after birth

I mean they're probably still going to eat it

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Panfilo posted:

Do you mean the body has a way of shutting it all down?

Ok Fella posted:

That sounds p lame.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ok Fella posted:

idgi man whats wrong w/shorthand? u understood what he said

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Pretty sure this guy is trolling. At least I hope so.

http://imgur.com/gallery/d3YSy

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Nope. Read his comments
http://imgur.com/user/CallmeJack02

He's absolutely going to bat for this and defending it to the death.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:byodood: 99.98% of Muslims are practicing it wrong.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Puppy Time posted:

Also a lot of animu stuff, same situation. I assume the majority of it is just fans not maturing much and overidentifying with YA stuff, rather than growing out of it and moving on to more age-appropro fiction. It's still weird and sometimes creepy, but more in the "foam video" sense than the "needs to stay away from school zones" sense. Calling it "pedophilia" seems a little extreme, at least, in the same way that calling a kiss without consent "rape" would be- both pretty bad things, but not at the same level.

Honestly, I think it has more to do with the fact that, for a very large portion of the population (in either America or Japan), high school is the last time of their life they enjoyed. I mean, imagine you're some American whose post-high school life consisted of going to community college and then working at Best Buy. It isn't that strange for such a person to look back on high school fondly.

While college can also fit this role (being the last enjoyable time in a person's life), it lacks the structure and shared experience (in the sense that, for example, someone who works part time and commutes would have a completely different experience than someone who lives in dorms and doesn't need to work) that high school does.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Gaunab posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/d3YSy

Sadly this is a common viewpoint

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Ytlaya posted:

Honestly, I think it has more to do with the fact that, for a very large portion of the population (in either America or Japan), high school is the last time of their life they enjoyed. I mean, imagine you're some American whose post-high school life consisted of going to community college and then working at Best Buy. It isn't that strange for such a person to look back on high school fondly.

While college can also fit this role (being the last enjoyable time in a person's life), it lacks the structure and shared experience (in the sense that, for example, someone who works part time and commutes would have a completely different experience than someone who lives in dorms and doesn't need to work) that high school does.

I think you nailed it with the shared life experience thing, but I don't think the kinds of people who get lost in anime and weird YA fandoms are the ones looking back fondly on high school. If anything, it seems like wish fulfilment.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gaunab posted:

Extremely strict, almost medieval interpretations are as genuine as any other. Doesn't mean it's right to associate other Muslims with them.

this fish flies
Dec 21, 2007

Don't Give Up The Ship

So I added a co-worker on facebook because he's moving out of state and I thought it would be nice to get updates. But then this popped up. Like, we all know he's gay, but until now it's just been statuses about church and god and Britney Spears. I don't think he knows the way to hide likes, or at least keep them out of everyone's feed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Henchman of Santa posted:

Extremely strict, almost medieval interpretations are as genuine as any other. Doesn't mean it's right to associate other Muslims with them.

Yeah the problem with the West's interpretation of what ISIS is fundamentally about, is that they write it off as not being really religious, when the opposite is true. They are so absolutely mind fuckingly religious it's unreal. It's like if an offshoot of Christianity decided to do a crusade. It's legitimate, but not representative of modern Islam.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

this fish flies posted:

So I added a co-worker on facebook because he's moving out of state and I thought it would be nice to get updates. But then this popped up. Like, we all know he's gay, but until now it's just been statuses about church and god and Britney Spears. I don't think he knows the way to hide likes, or at least keep them out of everyone's feed.

This is so satisfying. It's like an entire meal, I love it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

They're going to get their space dopplegangers pregnant?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah the problem with the West's interpretation of what ISIS is fundamentally about, is that they write it off as not being really religious, when the opposite is true. They are so absolutely mind fuckingly religious it's unreal. It's like if an offshoot of Christianity decided to do a crusade. It's legitimate, but not representative of modern Islam.

ISIS is a totalitarian state obsessed with overwhelming displays of power and brutality that draws upon a mythical version of Islamic history that never actually existed, in a similar way to how Nazism and Italian fascism drew on mythic versions of Germany and Italy's history. They're fascists with a thin coating of Islam over it.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's the whole idea of them though. Their entire purpose is to return to the Islamic Golden Age of the 7th Century. They deem anything after that to be un-islamic. They believe that after Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, there will only be three more caliphs as prescribed in Sunni Islam. Then, a coalition of 80 crusader armies will meet the Muslims on the hills near the town of Dabiq in Syria and battle them, resulting in the victory of Islam and a worldwide Islamic caliphate. That's their entire worldview.
Obviously this isn't representative of modern Islam at all since they consider every Muslim who doesn't follow a Salafist doctrine of Sunni Islam to be apostates, and they've killed more Muslims than any other religious group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

this fish flies posted:

The non use of timg tags makes this post so much better imo.