Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
This is probably gonna start a flame war and I'm sorry in advance.

People who aren't organ donors. (Barring religious reasons)

"I want my body to be whole when I'm dead" dude you're dead you have no consciousness. AND, your body is gonna look complete at your funeral.

Do you know how many people are on waiting lists and die cause they can't get organs?

When I was a kid there was this commercial about a little girl who needed a kidney or she would die. Through organ donation she got to live and became a dancer. That is what made my mind up. As soon as I got my drivers license I signed up for organ donation. Recently my state instated some policy where you have to online register to be an organ donor. I did it immediately.

If you want to hear a goon story, here it is. He was gonna die and he was hooked up to horrible machines cause his lungs didn't work. Then he got his second transplant and asfaik he's healthy and also he has a babby now :3:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

It's objectively morally correct to donate organs and a bad thing not to let other people benefit from your unfortunate death

I really hope that doesn't cause a flame war because wtf

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
People who want a green lawn in places that just don't normally allow it, my town is not only suffering high unemployment but a drought to boot, we have so little water in our local dam we have to pump water from the next one over, despite this there is still a huge problem with people wasting water trying to keep their precious loving lawn green. I've never been able to wrap my head around it, yes a green lawn does look better than a brown one, but if you want green you shouldn't live in loving dry part of Australia you twats.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Tarantula posted:

People who want a green lawn in places that just don't normally allow it, my town is not only suffering high unemployment but a drought to boot, we have so little water in our local dam we have to pump water from the next one over, despite this there is still a huge problem with people wasting water trying to keep their precious loving lawn green. I've never been able to wrap my head around it, yes a green lawn does look better than a brown one, but if you want green you shouldn't live in loving dry part of Australia you twats.

I was going to say maybe their HOA requires them to do it, but do you guys have HOAs in Australia?

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Shillary posted:

I was going to say maybe their HOA requires them to do it, but do you guys have HOAs in Australia?

I think we do but not by the same name or anything, I'm not sure how they work because thankfully I've never lived in one of those areas.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Shillary posted:

As far as I can tell, no. Thank gently caress because I only hear bad poo poo about those.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Tarantula posted:

I think we do but not by the same name or anything, I'm not sure how they work because thankfully I've never lived in one of those areas.

Intoluene posted:

As far as I can tell, no. Thank gently caress because I only hear bad poo poo about those.

Yeah you guys are lucky on that count, in the US they used to be pretty rare and only used for things like condos. Now though they're epidemic and it's almost impossible to not live without one.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
I hate when parents use devices/tablets/phones to make their child leave them alone. Your kid has something to say and can add to the conversation. We all have to remember what it was like when we were kids. 1-6th grade is a transitional period. The trick is to treat your kids like adults and with respect. I always speak to my kids like they are adults. Sometimes they don't get it, but they still absorb. Just remember that kids are both smarter and dumber than you think. Remember the stupid poo poo you did in 4th grade? I know I was really irresponsible, but my parents treated me with respect so I returned in kind.

Always treat kids as peers. As long as they aren't trying to leap into a pit of lava, they'll work it out.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I can't loving stand seeing parents treating their kids badly, acting like they're a huge burden or loving outright talking about how their life was so much better before they had kids. Like... they are REAL loving PEOPLE, they can hear you and you are loving them up forever because your selfish rear end didn't stop to think about whether or not you actually WANTED to devote the next 18 years of your life to raising a small human being.

I see this so much. I've had parents tell me, in front of their kids who were 8+ years old, that they wish they'd never had kids, wish they could give them away etc. I saw one person lose her credit card and then freak the gently caress out on her kids when they tried to tell her where it was, literally screaming at them "I'M the mom, you don't get to tell me anything! You don't know anything, you're just a kid!"

I want kids someday. I always have. But it absolutely baffles me that society pushes people to have kids whether or not they actually want to/would be good at it, and that people actually loving fall for it and then take it out on the kids for the rest of their lives. I've had a lot of truly terrible experiences working in customer service, but these are the only ones that haunt me.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think sometimes it depends on the tone (i.e. I think things intended as jokes like "are you sure he's my son?" etc can be OK if said in the right tone), but yeah I've seen a lot of genuinely mean-spirited parents trying to make their kid feel bad for existing which is wrong/terrible/etc. That said, I think even the best parent goes through rough times where they might snap at the kid and say something hurtful. What separates good parents from bad ones is how you react when that inevitably happens, i.e. "keep doing it the rest of their lives" vs. "give a genuine apology and make a real effort not to let it happen again".

On the topic of how you treat your kids, I think treating them with respect is better wording/advice than treating them like they are an adult/peer. If one of my adult peers said some of the things I've heard kids say, my first instinct would be to say "no, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, what the gently caress is wrong with you" which might not go over so well with a kid. So maybe treat them as a peer, but one that you're afraid of offending so you tone down some of the negative responses. I would also advise not taking relationship/work advice from a kid like you might from an adult peer.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

This is probably gonna start a flame war and I'm sorry in advance.

People who aren't organ donors. (Barring religious reasons)

"I want my body to be whole when I'm dead" dude you're dead you have no consciousness. AND, your body is gonna look complete at your funeral.

Do you know how many people are on waiting lists and die cause they can't get organs?

When I was a kid there was this commercial about a little girl who needed a kidney or she would die. Through organ donation she got to live and became a dancer. That is what made my mind up. As soon as I got my drivers license I signed up for organ donation. Recently my state instated some policy where you have to online register to be an organ donor. I did it immediately.

If you want to hear a goon story, here it is. He was gonna die and he was hooked up to horrible machines cause his lungs didn't work. Then he got his second transplant and asfaik he's healthy and also he has a babby now :3:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693952

Some people think that first responders are less likely to save them if they're an organ donor, which is even dumber

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Look, I'm sorry, but I'm going to need all of my organs placed in jars along the wall of my...we'll call it a tomb...where my body will be preserved through the use of ancient rites.

NEVER MIND WHY.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Murphy Brownback posted:

On the topic of how you treat your kids, I think treating them with respect is better wording/advice than treating them like they are an adult/peer.

This reminded me of the tip that is offered in this video which, while it's not perfect, is a nice analogy that is close to how it should be and is something that people know how to naturally do. To paraphrase: "Talk more to kids how you would talk to your guests, which is to be protective of their feelings. Attack the problem, not the child." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csj04h3zpFo

Anyway, for actual content, one of my pet peeves is people hovering over and looking over my shoulder at whatever I'm doing. Something about it just makes me really anxious; a lot of the time it's when I'm working and I guess I feel like I need to present the correct way to do whatever my task is to the person behind me, like a teacher, and I hate having that burden on me since my methods are pretty weird. I considered quitting my job because we had to sit in these open-backed cubicles and I was way too tense, but out of sheer luck I got put in one that was against the back wall during a transfer. It's not just with work though, as it also annoys me when I'm watching/playing something, because now I feel like I have to do something that entertains them. It doesn't help when they make fun of what I'm watching/playing as well; it's not for you!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cowslips Warren posted:

How about parents who don't bring anything to entertain their kids? Like toddler age. One of my monthly meetings is at an aquarium club and without fail, the couple with the toddler shows up with maybe one toy for him to play with for a 3 hour meeting. So I started bringing my old toys and poo poo my nephew and niece are done with, so he always has something new to keep himself busy. Still doesn't work for the full 3 hours, but gently caress, the family is Mormon, they have to have people who will babysit!

Oh sweet baby Moses, this.

I volunteer at a tax clinic for people with low-income, the elderly, and people with limited English proficiency. When your kids are screaming and running in circles around my workstation, I can't concentrate. I'm not making a pizza or something, where if I get distracted and put in a few extra pieces of pepperoni, it's no big deal--these are your goddamn federal taxes, and one incorrect keystroke because I saw your kid playing with a discarded inkjet cartridge he found in the trash or drawing all over our training manuals (both things that have actually happened) could mean the difference between you getting the refund you're entitled to and having to file an amended return later.

It kills me. Just bring a toy along. We've got plenty of space for your kid to play fighter jets or truck driver or whatever.

The tipping point--something that actually "inspired" us to turn a room we'd been using for something else into a playroom full of donated toys--was the day I got up to get something out of the printer for a client, turned around fewer than five seconds later, and saw a kid clicking and typing away at my computer. I had an active tax return open, so I nearly had a heart attack--our computers are connected right to the IRS when they're on, and this kid was going "beep boop beep boop pew pew" while actually making changes to someone's federal tax return.

A matchbox car is, what, a dollar? I'll give you a friggin' buck, go buy your kid something to play with so he doesn't ruin poo poo :argh:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I really hate that too. If I'm coding and notice someone is watching me I just stop and look at them like "can you not?". I hate having people stare at my awful code and see me googling how to do basic things, it's emasculating.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tarantula posted:

The worst is when most of the neighborhood has thrown in the towel and let their lawn die but some stubborn rear end in a top hat is still keeping their lawn pristine. If your lawn is a tiny patch of green in a sea of brown it still looks like rear end.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Companies that pester you for reviews of their products, their service, their packaging, etc.

I give you money, you give me the stuff I ordered. That is the beginning and the end of our relationship. I am not a free wing of your publicity department.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Shillary posted:

Yeah you guys are lucky on that count, in the US they used to be pretty rare and only used for things like condos. Now though they're epidemic and it's almost impossible to not live without one.

HOAs are my pet peeve and the reason I'll never buy a newer house in any sort of suburb nearby. It's constant horror stories of HOAs dictating house colors, grass length, where people can park, what decorations they can hang, and other stupid bullshit like that. I want to find whomever came up with that lovely idea and legit beat them to death publicly.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Nettles Coterie posted:

I can't loving stand seeing parents treating their kids badly, acting like they're a huge burden or loving outright talking about how their life was so much better before they had kids. Like... they are REAL loving PEOPLE, they can hear you and you are loving them up forever because your selfish rear end didn't stop to think about whether or not you actually WANTED to devote the next 18 years of your life to raising a small human being.

But it absolutely baffles me that society pushes people to have kids whether or not they actually want to/would be good at it, and that people actually loving fall for it and then take it out on the kids for the rest of their lives.

:agreed:

I mention a lot that I don't want/like kids but I respect them and I don't want them to be mistreated by lovely adults who made lovely decisions. I grew up with a lot of guilt-tripping by my parents for being born, for using their resources, their space, their time. They had the option to not have kids. Specifically me, my mom considered abortion (which is fine!!) but didn't go through with it and then used that against me. Things are better with my dad now, at least.

A pet peeve of mine is when parents let their kids run around unsupervised (like in the stairwells of our apartment, where they stomp up and down the stairs and scream) or expect underpaid retail workers to look after their kids while they're shopping. And then they don't clean up the messes their children make, like when they knock poo poo over or throw things or open packages.

Maybe my real issue is with parents, lmao. I know it's not easy but c'mon

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The Snoo posted:

my mom considered abortion (which is fine!!) but didn't go through with it and then used that against me.

:stare:

Holy poo poo, I don't like to wish harm on people, but I hope she falls into a particularly stagnant mud puddle

I was a little bastard sometimes, and my mom said some pretty mean things when she was angry at my shenanigans, but drat

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Murphy Brownback posted:

I really hate that too. If I'm coding and notice someone is watching me I just stop and look at them like "can you not?". I hate having people stare at my awful code and see me googling how to do basic things, it's emasculating.

Oh man, I especially hate this. Partly because I'm not being self-deprecating in a joking manner when I say I'm bad at coding, and I frequently find myself googling stuff like "how to get the keys of a dictionary" even though I've been programming in this language for 6 years. A few years ago I worked with this consultant and we would do a screen share and it was so stressful having someone constantly watching me work.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
A celebrity died? gently caress [current year]! [current year] is the worst! :qq:

Every.single.time. a famous person dies, everyone posts the same content free comment.

It's fine to be upset, but post something else other then that meaningless catchphrase.

KoB
May 1, 2009
"Sammies"

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Spalec posted:

A celebrity died? gently caress [current year]! [current year] is the worst! :qq:

Every.single.time. a famous person dies, everyone posts the same content free comment.

It's fine to be upset, but post something else other then that meaningless catchphrase.

Every year on this earth is terrible, friend.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spalec posted:

A writer I follow put it well: we know we're in an increasingly atheistic society when people are cursing their calendar instead of God.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Spalec posted:

Your feed is full of Gene Wilder, too?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
The issue I have with tissue and organ donation is the ever growing for profit sector of the industry.

http://www.npr.org/2012/07/17/156876476/calculating-the-value-of-human-tissue-donation

There are dozens of articles about how profitable your donation is to the various companies that harvest your various bits. Sorry if it seems selfish to deny those that need eyes and heart valves, but the comoditization of my body after death just feels disgusting.

Use my parts to help those in life threatening need, fine. Use my parts to sell to companies not saving lives, not fine.

Indolent Bastard has a new favorite as of 02:11 on Aug 30, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Spalec posted:

I caught myself saying 'the year that took David Bowie from us is the worst year', specifically because... okay, sure, some parts of it have been poo poo on a larger scale? But overall 2016's been my best year ever. Getting a good job, moving out of home, starting to come out as being trans and helping with an election campaign WAY outclass the death of a singer I honestly only like a few songs by.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The part that annoys me the most about it is how everyone goes from never mentioning or seeming to particularly like whatever celebrity to instantly being their lifelong diehard-est fan and they are absolutely devastated when they die. Like with Gene Wilder - if you polled all the people sobbing on my facebook about him I'd bet a lot of money that most of them have only seen him in that meme form.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Are you Facebook friends with a lot of teenagers or something? Pretty sure almost every adult at the very least saw Willy Wonka, and probably Blazing Saddles as well.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Noctone posted:

Are you Facebook friends with a lot of teenagers or something? Pretty sure almost every adult at the very least saw Willy Wonka, and probably Blazing Saddles as well.

They are all roughly my age (~30). I can only speak for myself but I've never seen Willy Wonka (except the Johnny Depp one) and I have seen Blazing Saddles a long long time ago and don't remember him being in it.

It was worse with Robin Williams. Everyone knew who he was, possibly because mrs doubtfire seemed to be the go-to "substitute teacher who doesn't want to teach" thing throughout all of school, but the consensus was that his more recent work was awful. The same people who absolutely hated some of the worst comedy movies ever made (Old Dogs, RV...) would go on about how he was the greatest comedian of our generation etc once he was dead.

I guess my main annoyance is how people need to make every tragedy (although calling a celebrity death a tragedy is a bit of a stretch) about them. It's not just celebrity deaths either, like if there's a shooting somewhere people will post poo poo like "oh my god, I know someone who knows someone who lives within a few hundred miles of there, praying they are ok".

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Indolent Bastard posted:

The issue I have with tissue and organ donation is the ever growing for profit sector of the industry.

http://www.npr.org/2012/07/17/156876476/calculating-the-value-of-human-tissue-donation

There are dozens of articles about how profitable your donation is to the various companies that harvest your various bits. Sorry if it seems selfish to deny those that need eyes and heart valves, but the comoditization of my body after death just feels disgusting.

Use my parts to help those in life threatening need, fine. Use my parts to sell to companies not saving lives, not fine.

Skin grafts are life-saving for burn victims. Burns are incredibly painful, and if the recovery of some of my dead skin will help someone else, go to it. If some of my collagen will help some girl gain self-esteem with plastic surgery, then use it .

I once read an article about organ/tissue donation where a doctor said that there were lots of groups of different types who'd refuse to donate organs, but every damned one of them lined up to receive them.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm the same way. If my heart could be given to someone to save their life, yeah. But that's not what happens. My heart would be a commodity going through several levels of profiteering before being sold to someone who can pay eighty grand for the organ plus $980 grand in extraction, transportation, and transplant.

Nah I'll keep it. I don't really see too many other for-profit businesses trying to solicit donations for their outlays.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Murphy Brownback posted:

The part that annoys me the most about it is how everyone goes from never mentioning or seeming to particularly like whatever celebrity to instantly being their lifelong diehard-est fan and they are absolutely devastated when they die. Like with Gene Wilder - if you polled all the people sobbing on my facebook about him I'd bet a lot of money that most of them have only seen him in that meme form.

Gene Wilder had been retired from acting for 25 years. Don't be the "Oh you loved [musician]? Name 10 of his songs." guy

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm the same way. If my heart could be given to someone to save their life, yeah. But that's not what happens. My heart would be a commodity going through several levels of profiteering before being sold to someone who can pay eighty grand for the organ plus $980 grand in extraction, transportation, and transplant.

Nah I'll keep it. I don't really see too many other for-profit businesses trying to solicit donations for their outlays.

I mean, yes, I agree that for-profit organ donation is extremely lovely, but at the end of the day you're still saving someone's life with the chunks of meat your body isn't using anymore.

Davealicious
May 8, 2007

Since organ donations are going through all this profiteering, I think some of that money should be going to your children / next of kin. Would probably increase the amount of organs available too, since the people who are like, "Oh, I'd hate to think of them ripping daddy apart, he should be buried whole!" would change their minds real quick if they knew they'd get 10 grand for each of his kidneys.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hey, welcome to one of my actual pet peeves! Principled (or "principled") stands that hurt the very people you're meant to be supporting. Never really thought I'd see it with organ donation, of all things, mind.

On the sometimes overwrought responses to celebrity deaths:

My Twitter feed is about 3/4ths professional comedians and actors so most of the stuff about Gene Wilder's death has been people reacting to the loss of a colleague/prominent figure in their professional field rather than I LOVED HIM IN THAT MOVIE I VERY NEARLY SAW ONCE, so it hasn't really bothered me.

And if I'm being honest, it doesn't really bother me at all, for all that I don't often get hit hard by the deaths of pop culture figures. (There are a few exceptions; Phil Hartman's death still hurts, man.) I've lost a lot of close (and not-so-close) family members over the years, as well as a few friends and acquaintances, and every death hurt differently, but they all hurt, and the only thing I've really taken away from that is that there's no one way that people grieve, no right way to grieve, and no use in telling people how they should grieve. Which doesn't mean that histrionics don't get annoying, but I'm willing to put up with a little self-indulgence (or, at worst, politely distance myself from it) if it doesn't affect me and makes someone else feel better.

Where it crosses a line for me is when it becomes a macabre obsession with a public figure's life or death. As a recent example, Prince. (It may be because he was a local, but it seemed particularly bad with him.) It's awesome how many people found his work and life meaningful. It's none of my business or yours how he died, or what addictions he was struggling with, or what doctors were with him the day he died, or or or loving or. Mourn the dead as you see fit, but show them and their loved ones some loving respect.

E. Bringing it back to Gene Wilder, his...nephew, I think...released a rather moving statement that addressed, among other things, why he and his family had kept his Alzheimer's Disease private. (The reasoning was broadly 'neither he nor his family wanted people to remember him as someone who'd been suffering from a lovely disease, but as someone who loved life and made people laugh'.) And I'm glad he wrote it. It kind of sucks that he felt an explanation was necessary, though.

docbeard has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Aug 30, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think a lot of the constant prying into Prince's manner of death was also because it was so shocking. When someone's only 51 and has no reputation for hard living (he was a loving Jehovah's Witness), people will be curious about it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Related peeve: people who try to dictate who does or does not have the right to grieve when a public figure dies. You don't own them any more or less than anyone else, and while you might be annoyed that someone you see as "not a true fan" is professing their grief on social media, they have every right to be upset.

I grew up watching Gene Wilder and Robin Williams movies, and while I haven't seen either in years, I still felt sad. A lot of people close to me have struggled with mental illness, too, so Robin Williams hit particularly close to home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Speaking of death, you know what really bugs me? People tripping over each other to be the first one to organize a candlelight vigil when someone nearby dies. I may have mentioned it before, but it still creeps me right the gently caress out every time I see it. Someone just died, and the family is in shock, and you've got people screaming "SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS I ORGANIZED A VIGIL AND IT TAKES PLACE LITERALLY FIFTEEN MINUTES AFTER SHE DIED I DID IT I ORGANIZED IT FIRST EVERYONE COME TO THE THING I DID ME ME ME ME ME"

Everyone mourns differently, but one thing most people need after the death of someone close to them is time. You're not doing anybody but yourself any good by pulling poo poo like this.