Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Epic High Five posted:

I love that Millennials are going to be the first generation in probably 2 millennia that hear frank talk about heresy and think first about Warhammer memes

probably the first generation in 300 years to think of an appropriate response when they hear the word 'heresy'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

BWV posted:

i just did something stupid and read through the "how to convince people to support Trump" megalist on The_Donald. I'm sure it's been documented here before but this line was the true winner.
Post more highlights

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ps if you aren't reading luke and acts as one work then you're not allowed to have an opinion or indeed any perspective at all on it

that's first year undergrad or like 10th grade parochial school stuff. come correct motherfuckers

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Day Crew:

Also Day crew:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Constant Hamprince posted:

"Creflo Dollar" is quite possible the most evangelical-rear end name imaginable

i remember when i first heard his name, the chick i was dating was explaining how loving crazy this poo poo gets in the deep south, and i accused her of screwing with me when she dropped that name

she spent the rest of the night laughing at the :whitewater: moment that never quite ended

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

post your favorite enoch poo poo itt

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

The pastor bishop of the church lives in a 62 room, 10 fireplace, 14 bathroom palace.

I'm cross with this thread for not picking up on my reference to man but humping. Yall some trashy lazy.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
salvation isn't free. kingdom of heaven's gotta be watered with the blood of heretics. unam sanctam not sola fide ok. namaste

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Squizzle posted:

ps if you aren't reading luke and acts as one work then you're not allowed to have an opinion or indeed any perspective at all on it

that's first year undergrad or like 10th grade parochial school stuff. come correct motherfuckers

also read John and Revelations right next to each other and realize that John was probably on drugs full time

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Squizzle posted:

and if you can't enjoy the whole complex of Syriac/Nestorian/Indian Christianity at least as an impressive web of influences over time and cultures, well, loosen up

thomas twin theology is batshit + rad

i personally think there's a lot of under-explored influence there from valentinian gnosticism (or related), but that's just me

who cares its all made up bullshit anyways

i never could get into any of that poo poo in college cuz thats pretty much the only conclusion i could make to anything i read about it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Coolguye posted:

also read John and Revelations right next to each other and realize that John was probably on drugs full time

Pratchett felt the same way. Small Gods was a wonderful, wonderful book

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Despera posted:

Post more highlights

For myself, the most important thing I learned during this election season is to never trust anything. Nothing is true. Everything is permitted. And when I say that, I mean it. Sure, you can show me all of these lists of links, however, upon further inspection, they're full of poo poo like this girl who faked her crying to appease to Congress which helped contribute to the Gulf War. It's kinda like how an individual who was raised around a cult neighborhood and finally started questioning it. Now I still believe in a lot of what the liberals believe in such as social equality, however, my positions have became much more moderate and centrist.
Anyways, I'm still working on this post. However, it will become better. Promise.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Montasque posted:

This image has been a freeper favorite since Freep first Freeped.

And of course that's not Bill and Hillary.

Alright, that makes more sense. I didn't think it was Hillary, but the guy does look like a young Bill.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

you down with ppd

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/770401822121005056?lang=en

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

BWV posted:

i just did something stupid and read through the "how to convince people to support Trump" megalist on The_Donald. I'm sure it's been documented here before but this line was the true winner.

Give us the whole list, X number of entries each day.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

Could've sworn they were different Johns.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Give us the whole list, X number of entries each day.

it's like chinese water torture only instead of poopy water it's poopy crazy people

The Larch posted:

Could've sworn they were different Johns.

i thought they were both the apostle but i learned all this stuff 20+ years ago now so it's entirely possible i'm loving it up (or new archeological data has come to light that makes my then-teachers wrong)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vertical Lime posted:

you down with ppd

Yeah you know me :smugdon:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

on the one hand the Ethiopic, or first, enoch was (along with the also :krad: Book of Jubilees) just sitting there in literally nigh-every Bible in the Ethiopian Empire while white folks cast about searching after this "lost" work that's referenced repeatedly in the Canon they had, so i like that it adds to the whole motif of Ethiopia having at all times poo poo that europe really really wishes it could find

(like whether or not it was the first artifact to be understood as the ark of the covenant, they almost assuredly have the last artifact to be generally regarded by Christendom as the ark)

but on the other hand the Slavonic/second enoch is magnificent and definitely my personal favorite for a lot of reasons of structure, theology, and cultural poo poo embedded all over it. plus, you usually get bonus Melchizedek content in print translations of it, and that's good :catdrugs: poo poo

and i love enoch/metatron matter as much as anyone and more than many, but if third enoch is your favorite then :gb2gbs:

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/770381482229657602

It's almost as if obesity is really, demonstrably deadly. And saps taxpayer money.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Squizzle posted:

post your favorite enoch poo poo itt

Always been a fan of the seraphim as giant flaming snakes with wings.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

salvation isn't free. kingdom of heaven's gotta be watered with the blood of heretics. unam sanctam not sola fide ok. namaste

This namaste doesn't even make any loving sense if you go with the literal meaning rather than cultural slang, "I salute your fragment of God" is incompatible with evangelical bullshit, gently caress you :argh:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This namaste doesn't even make any loving sense if you go with the literal meaning rather than cultural slang, "I salute your fragment of God" is incompatible with evangelical bullshit, gently caress you :argh:

namaste

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Beck wants to go war with Atlantis

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

GreyjoyBastard posted:

let me explain irony to you

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

babypolis posted:

who cares its all made up bullshit anyways

i never could get into any of that poo poo in college cuz thats pretty much the only conclusion i could make to anything i read about it

lol you rube it's woven through basically all premodern and a lot of/most modern culture, statecraft, art, music, science, math, history, warfare, literature, poetry, and so on

religion isn't a thing, in terms of study; it's where basically everything else humans do overlaps. it's the attention deficit disorder-est academic field

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Larch posted:

Always been a fan of the seraphim as giant flaming snakes with wings.

"Do not be afraid" is an angelic visitation trigger warning.

To minimize the screaming and clawing out of eyes.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Do It Once Right posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/770381482229657602

It's almost as if obesity is really, demonstrably deadly. And saps taxpayer money.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

:laffo: I'm tied with my rival! Winning! :smugdon:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

let me explain irony to you

This is the one irrational hill I am going to die on, reincarnate, and die on again.

My sacrifice will inorm future generations about arcane linguistic details.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

https://twitter.com/onlxn/status/770364792439574528

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
God exists, deal with it

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

angels are no foolin one of the most interesting things about the book religions and it's my unwillingness to walk over to the big bookshelf that's stopping me from phoneposting up a highly-cited spray of nerd words about them

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Al! posted:

God exists, deal with it

Many people are saying He is dead

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
loving people's pundit daily.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
see, trump's 42 is bigger than hillary's 42, so he's winning.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

GreyjoyBastard posted:

At least they have the decency to use a pair of wings to cover up their dicks.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Squizzle posted:

lol you rube it's woven through basically all premodern and a lot of/most modern culture, statecraft, art, music, science, math, history, warfare, literature, poetry, and so on

religion isn't a thing, in terms of study; it's where basically everything else humans do overlaps. it's the attention deficit disorder-est academic field

yes i know its important. and im sure glad for all the pretty paintings (huge fan of hyeronimus bosch here). but whenever i read thomas aquinas or something like that i can never stop thinking "man who cares its all bullshit"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the book of tobit is comedy gold, as far ancient texts go. still offers some good laffs today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Al! posted:

God exists, deal with it

lol if you read this thread and still believe in a loving god

• Locked thread