Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I got the first one through club nintendo and it gets very frustrating so I put it down after a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

nerdman42 posted:

Oh okay, that makes sense. Are they fun minigames? I liked WarioWare well enough, but it could get tedious.

I like it? But it gets hard after a point and I never felt compelled to pick up the second :v:

If you really want to git gud at some of the harder/more ridiculous Nintendo Hard stuff in old NES games there really isn't a better way, though.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

If you like perfecting time-based challenges and aiming for 3 shiny stars, this is the game for you. It's very arcade like.

I like the 3DS version (NES Remix Ultimate) because it combines both NES Remix games into one.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

nerdman42 posted:

Oh okay, that makes sense. Are they fun minigames? I liked WarioWare well enough, but it could get tedious.

They are not particularly fun. Some of the more creative remixed challenges can be fun, but the standard challenges that make up 90% of the game are more tedious than anything else. Which is a bummer; I love Warioware and those kinds of quick mini games.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

NES Remix is wonderful and 2 is even better.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

If you like old Nintendo stuff it's great, but you also have to
do stuff in Ice Climber, a noted terrible game

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The weaker games make for better challenges, honestly. NES Remix 2 is pretty much all "good" NES games but a lot of the challenges aren't even challenges so much as tutorials for games you never get to play.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

If you like old Nintendo stuff it's great, but you also have to
do stuff in Ice Climber, a noted terrible game

But, it also has Balloon Fight, and underrated game that Iwata made with his bare hands, that honestly works better in this format than as a "hey let's go play Balloon Fight" thing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

nerdman42 posted:

Depends on how much you like NES games. You have to play all of them at least a little bit to get enough stars to progress, so if there's one you particularly don't like it can be a drag. NES Remix 1 was especially hard for some people cause it focuses almost exclusively on the black box games, so you end up playing a lot of Pinball and Clu Clu Land and Urban Champion. Reaction when they came out were pretty mixed, but I freakin love the NES and to me its like a museum in video game form.

Many of the challenges are time attack or score attack deals, but some of my favorites are built around highlighting aspects of these old games you either take for granted or don't bother with playing normally. Also for the level based games there's usually a series of challenges that's like a cliff notes guided tour version of the game, like for Zelda they give you a taste of every dungeon and you fight every boss.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Balloon Fight is easily the best of the old black box games BUT it's just Joust BUT it's much better than Joust and Joust doesn't have Balloon Trip so I guess what I'm saying is, gently caress Joust.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
NES Remix owns because I can do all the challenges for a game and basically get the nostalgia fix for the entire game. It has you do the memorable sections.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
NES remix is only tough when it gets to poo poo like Clu Clu Land or Golf, most of the really lovely games/sports games are one-offs in the extra section.

The 3DS version cuts some of the lovely games out and is actually easier, plus you get to play snippets of the Famicom versions in addition to the regular game and FDS Kid Icarus and Zelda 2 are way more fun. Plus i think you can still get a kickass Famicom theme for your 3DS.

Edit: i'm the kind of person who beat both games with all rainbow stars so trust me i know its fun.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
clu clu land haters vacate

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Balloon Fight is easily the best of the old black box games BUT it's just Joust BUT it's much better than Joust and Joust doesn't have Balloon Trip so I guess what I'm saying is, gently caress Joust.

Joust is cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you can play a game with just one button it's gotta be pretty sick.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I like NES Remix in short bursts although I really don't like (original) Mario Bros

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sega 3D Classics Collection 3: Everything That's Not Already On A Cartridge Edition: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201608/30114287.html

As per usual, there will be new content for the cartridge - most notably, they'll be including the most-requested game from buyers of the previous release. (the 5th/4th/3rd/2nd-most requested games: Wing War, Gain Ground, Outrunners, Virtua Racing.)

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 30, 2016

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Sega 3D Classics Collection 3: Everything That's Not Already On A Cartridge Edition: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201608/30114287.html

As per usual, there will be new content for the cartridge - most notably, they'll be including the most-requested game from buyers of the previous release. (the 5th/4th/3rd/2nd-most requested games: Wing Wor, Gain Ground, Outrunners, Virtua Racing.)

Are those the arcade version of those games, or are some of them the Genesis ports?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Willo567 posted:

Are those the arcade version of those games, or are some of them the Genesis ports?

Afterburner 2 and Super Hang-On are both the arcade versions, and Sonic 2/Streets of Rage 2/Gunstar Heroes are the Genesis versions, obviously. You can go buy all these games on the eShop right now if you want to.

The other games I mentioned are games that were heavily requested by fans but they're not confirmed to be part of the collection and the fact that they were mentioned by name probably deconfirms them. The #1 most-requested game was not mentioned and will probably be included on the collection (and odds are it's Virtua Fighter).

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Afterburner 2 and Super Hang-On are both the arcade versions, and Sonic 2/Streets of Rage 2/Gunstar Heroes are the Genesis versions, obviously. You can go buy all these games on the eShop right now if you want to.

The other games I mentioned are games that were heavily requested by fans but they're not confirmed to be part of the collection and the fact that they were mentioned by name probably deconfirms them. The #1 most-requested game was not mentioned and will probably be included on the collection (and odds are it's Virtua Fighter).

I actually meant the bonus games; sucks that we may not got portable Virtua Racer and Outrunners

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I specifically requested Virtua Fighter and Panzer Dragoon in my Club Nintendo survey for Galaxy Force II, and I assume my opinion carries a lot of weight over with the gang at M2, so it's probably one of those two.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I just checked out the Sonic 3 & Knuckles games on the 360...they don't have stage select. I'm presuming that the Wii version is a straight ROM dump and ought to have everything my Sega Genesis copy had in terms of features?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

In Training posted:

If you can play a game with just one button it's gotta be pretty sick.
can confirm

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

nerdman42 posted:

Beaten, but I'll weigh in. They're more like "challenges". Most of them are kind of time attacks that come in two different flavors. One is an actual section of the game, where you beat a level or a boss or whatever, and NES Remix rates you on your time. The other variety is a remix, where either one game has elements of another game mashed into it, or has its "rules" changed somehow. For example, there's a Dr. Mario Remix where you have to eliminate a virus that moves around in a simple pattern, instead of remaining stationary like they normally do.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, Capcom's doing another sale, ends September 6:

DuckTales Remastered – $5.99
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara – $5.99
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate – $13.60
Resident Evil Revelations – $9.99

Mega Man Legacy Collection – $9.99
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate – $9.99
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate – $19.99
Resident Evil Revelations – $4.99
Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D – $4.99
Super Street Fighter 4 – $4.99

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Is the Megaman Collection the thing to get if you want to play those games? I heard the NES emulation from individual eshop games isn't great, but some of those rom collections are loving dire. I know one came out recently that had a bunch of cool options and extra stuff but can't remember what it was.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The console versions were fine and fairly NES accurate (sprite flicker and slowdown included) I dunno about the 3DS version though.
It also included a bunch of NES Remix style challenge modes.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Mega Man Legacy Collection is one of the good ones - some of the emulation for the later games is a little iffy in certain spots but they all look much better than the 3DS VC versions and they also have challenge modes and other extras.

The VC versions also cost $5 a pop.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

It's a minigame collection themed around old NES games, basically - each game is broken up into tiny challenges that you clear for a star ranking, get more stars to unlock more challenges, compare scores with your friends. Most of the challenges use stages/moments lifted directly from the older games, occasionally with some visual gimmick like a mirror-flipped screen or silhouetting or whatever, and some feature content from other games (playable Link in Donkey Kong, for example). You can't unlock the full, un-hosed-with versions of any of the NES games, it's purely challenges.

The one exception is Super Luigi Bros., the weird version of Super Mario Bros where instead you play as Luigi and run right to left to progress.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Discount Viscount posted:

The one exception is Super Luigi Bros., the weird version of Super Mario Bros where instead you play as Luigi and run right to left to progress.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

The 3DS version has "Speedrun Mario Bros" or somesuch which is just SMB with an emulator throttle so it runs faster.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Sakurazuka posted:

The console versions were fine and fairly NES accurate (sprite flicker and slowdown included) I dunno about the 3DS version though.
It also included a bunch of NES Remix style challenge modes.

The challenges are kind of dumb to be honest, there doesn't seem to be any kind of logic to them, it's just a bunch of random stage segments chopped up and put together.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light
My Nintendo gold points are now valid for 12 months rather than 6. Nothing new to spend them on, but maybe they'll announce something during the direct tomorrow?

Details here: https://my.nintendo.com/news/44fcbfa278390c0f

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I want to go on an eshop binge

Are these good picks?

Castelvania IV

Demon's Crest

Paper Mario

Megaman 7

Megaman Zero

DK Swing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Megaman 7 is eh, dunno about DK Swing, the rest are all solid.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
MegaMan 7 is great.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Assorted eShop bullshit:

-The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup, a long-in-development Wii U/3DS eShop game by the guy behind Conker's Bad Fur Day, is still coming to both platforms and seems to be nearing completion: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/08/exclusive_exploring_the_unlikely_legend_of_rusty_pup

-The SmileBASIC (3DS) devs are making final preparations for a PAL release:

(The Wii U version is still in development and they've said that they'll be able to share a lot of loc text between the two, so it'll hopefully come over much sooner.)

-Capcom announced a 3DS eShop game in Japan called Megami Meguri; it's a voice-synth waifu thing that interacts with IC cards (NFC currency/payment cards like Suica) and will learn new vocabulary words by scanning your transaction history. The character designs are by Konami's former Love Plus guy. Don't play this game.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 31, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

-Capcom announced a 3DS eShop game in Japan called Megami Meguri; it's a voice-synth waifu thing that interacts with IC cards (NFC currency/payment cards like Suica) and will learn new vocabulary words by scanning your transaction history. The character designs are by Konami's former Love Plus guy. Don't play this game.

this sounds cute and fun, and the love plus art is great

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wait, a waifu that learns words based on what I buy? In real life, it's the other way around!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Assorted eShop bullshit:

-The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup, a long-in-development Wii U/3DS eShop game by the guy behind Conker's Bad Fur Day, is still coming to both platforms and seems to be nearing completion: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/08/exclusive_exploring_the_unlikely_legend_of_rusty_pup

-The SmileBASIC (3DS) devs are making final preparations for a PAL release:

(The Wii U version is still in development and they've said that they'll be able to share a lot of loc text between the two, so it'll hopefully come over much sooner.)

I did not expect Rusty's Real Deal Baseball to go in this direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Kurtofan posted:

I want to go on an eshop binge

Are these good picks?

Castelvania IV

Demon's Crest

Paper Mario

Megaman 7

Megaman Zero

DK Swing

Castlevania IV is easily my favourite of the early series before the Metroidvania revolution.