Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A long time ago, I dreamed of working for a game company. Nowadays I just want to self-publish. Though I wouldn't mind writing other people's RPGs for a living, it doesn't seem like a steady way to actually make a living.

Thanks to places like Kickstarter and DriveThru, it's easier than it's ever been to self-publish, so working for big RPG companies comes off as less of a desirable thing than it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well also the idea of the "Big RPG Company" has become really devalued. I mean, like, there's Paizo left? I don't know how big Catalyst is. Some have reasonable staff with a bevy of freelancers at best, it seems, but the notion of having a bunch of people in one office making RPGs seems to maybe be outright defunct.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well also the idea of the "Big RPG Company" has become really devalued. I mean, like, there's Paizo left? I don't know how big Catalyst is. Some have reasonable staff with a bevy of freelancers at best, it seems, but the notion of having a bunch of people in one office making RPGs seems to maybe be outright defunct.

Yeah after typing that I had the same train of thought. We don't have the D&D side as the juggernaut it once was and now operates out of a broom closet, White Wolf is basically Onyx Path now, and Paizo seems like it's going to collapse under its own weight in the near future. Evil Hat's kind of a big deal, I guess?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How big is Pelgrane Press?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The idea of making a living as a freelancer is terrible, especially if you don't like living out of a cardboard box (or aren't, say, Matt Forbeck). Every freelancer I know in the industry (Forbeck being the exception) works a day job. Hell, most game company employees are part time and work day jobs.

In terms of big RPG companies to work for - there's always Fantasy Flight, or PEG, or Green Ronin (although they only have 3 full time employees, the rest are PT), but even if you work for the company, you're typically not an individual creator, you're an editor or a marketer or a project manager or producer.

Honestly, if you really want to write games and do it full time and you're willing to put your heart and soul and sweat into it, you're way better off going the kickstarter route. I know it's not a total 1:1 comparison since it's board games, but what Michael Coe has done with Gamelyn Games is nothing short of amazing. That's a kid to emulate.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

How big is Pelgrane Press?

Like 4-6 people with about an equal or larger number of freelancers at any given time? I think I've met nearly everybody who actually works for the company outside of their webmaster.

Peas and Rice posted:

The idea of making a living as a freelancer is terrible, especially if you don't like living out of a cardboard box (or aren't, say, Matt Forbeck). Every freelancer I know in the industry (Forbeck being the exception) works a day job. Hell, most game company employees are part time and work day jobs.

There are some that manage for a living, but you have to be somebody like Robin Laws that's unquestionably in demand, I think, and willing to work your fingers to the bone for poo poo pay to stay afloat. There's something humbling when even a guy like Heinsoo can't be guaranteed work.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Fair enough, Robin and Ken Hite are probably the exceptions - but they're also in their 50s (like Matt F) and spent literal decades building their reputations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Matt Foe has the right idea: find a gimmick and ride it all the way. Tiny Epic X has been a goldmine for him.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Zurui posted:

find a gimmick and ride it all the way

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

I'd make a Mike Mearls joke here but I think you just beat me to it.

Zurui posted:

Matt Foe has the right idea: find a gimmick and ride it all the way. Tiny Epic X has been a goldmine for him.

I mean technically d20 is a gimmick, right?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gotta respect the hustle

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Error 404 posted:

Gotta respect the hustle

I do not.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A long time ago, I dreamed of working for a game company. Nowadays I just want to self-publish. Though I wouldn't mind writing other people's RPGs for a living, it doesn't seem like a steady way to actually make a living.
I've wound up becoming Internet Friends with a few RPG freelancers, and the way their eyes bulge out when I offer to pay a whole 5 cents a word for Kickstarter stretch goal pieces is worrisome. I've occasionally written stuff for my "industry" buddies, but otherwise I've pretty much only ever done my own thing, and while I'm not exactly making bank, the freedom and spontaneity of self-publishing is really nice. It's not a huge seller or anything, but I can truthfully say I published a game about kaiju who feel kinda sad.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Like 4-6 people with about an equal or larger number of freelancers at any given time? I think I've met nearly everybody who actually works for the company outside of their webmaster.

I'm pretty sure their only full time staff writer is Ken Hite. He's one of the few game designers that just writes games and games fluff material for a living. Robin Laws is an editor and creative director at Stone Skin Press.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Error 404 posted:

Gotta respect the hustle
If Steve Jackson had been selling heroin to children I'd be cool with it, so long as it still funded my table which doubles as an OGRE boardgame box.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Steve Jackson apparently has some regrets that his company has become "the Munchkin company" but no part of having a lucrative nigh-evergreen nerd kitsch cash-cow should be preventing him from continuing to ride the Kickstarter train like they did with Ogre and yet isn't he late on some Car Wars revival? It seems like if you were in possession of something like Munchkin that would be the perfect opportunity for you to crank out lovely card games to pay the bills as your day job and then just pursue all the passion projects you want with a healthy dose of crowdfunding so that you aren't even dipping out of your own profits to do so, but I'm not a successful tabletop game publisher myself, so.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Ewen Cluney posted:

I've wound up becoming Internet Friends with a few RPG freelancers, and the way their eyes bulge out when I offer to pay a whole 5 cents a word for Kickstarter stretch goal pieces is worrisome. I've occasionally written stuff for my "industry" buddies, but otherwise I've pretty much only ever done my own thing, and while I'm not exactly making bank, the freedom and spontaneity of self-publishing is really nice. It's not a huge seller or anything, but I can truthfully say I published a game about kaiju who feel kinda sad.

Oh I ran Magical Fury the other day for RPPR Actual Play - not sure when I will post it, but it was quite fun. One of the players was new to RPGs and she liked the game. It's very good as a starter RPG.

Anyway, I basically make my living through tabletop RPGs, but that's more due to my Patreon and podcast than my published and Kickstarted work https://www.patreon.com/RPPR

I still freelance outside the tabletop RPG industry but that's not much of my income since the Patreon got as large as it did.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Honestly, there never was a "big RPG company" in the history of the industry. TSR maybe kind of qualified for a while there at the peak of the early 80's D&D fad, but all that accomplished was leading the company to have a lot bad money habits that rapidly drove them into the ground, and WotC and Hasbro pared the D&D team way back. White Wolf only ever had a few people on staff even in its heyday and usually worked with freelancers, Palladium is literally run out of Siembieda's garage, SJG is kind of successful but that has nothing to do with their RPGs, and so on. It's a really small industry that rides precarious margins.

Luckily Kickstarter/crowdfunding and print-on-demand removed two of the big reasons why companies were often dragged under during the 80s and 90s, but it still hasn't quite made it a big industry.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Steve Jackson apparently has some regrets that his company has become "the Munchkin company" but no part of having a lucrative nigh-evergreen nerd kitsch cash-cow should be preventing him from continuing to ride the Kickstarter train like they did with Ogre and yet isn't he late on some Car Wars revival?
Given the fact that the past three or four GURPS releases have all been delayed (which means waiting a whole week most of the time, as SJG only releases on Thursdays), I've lost any expectations of things from Jackson's company coming out on time.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

A week isn't really late by TG standards.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A week isn't really late by TG standards.
Oh, certainly not, it's just that the little things keep adding up to a picture that not everything is all that organized. It's probably just related to my pessimism over the TG industry as of late, though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Error 404 posted:

Gotta respect the hustle
If someone kept backing dump trucks full of money into my driveway for terrible games, I'd go ahead and keep making terrible games.

Serf
May 5, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

If someone kept backing dump trucks full of money into my driveway for terrible games, I'd go ahead and keep making terrible games.

Hey if it's good enough for Michael Bay to keep making Transformers movies that he hates, it's good enough for anybody.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Asimo posted:

Palladium is literally run out of Siembieda's garage,
Last I heard, they own an actual building, although there's hardly anyone in it and most of the lights are off.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Last I heard his office was just built into his house, but I may be misremembering urban legendish stuff yeah. It's not exactly a palace in any case, no.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pretty much, Palladium has offices and a warehouse, but they're down to five staffers with no in-house writers aside from Siembieda- they have regular writers and artists, but all on a freelance basis these days as I understand it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The hell is the warehouse for?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Luke Crane in being unprofessional to his backers shocker:

http://ferretbrain.com/articles/article-1098

Short version is that Crane used a 'cranky wizard' schtick for the marketing of his burning wheel kickstarter. While it's delivered on time (!) the very drawn out shipping process has meant some customers had books in hand while others weren't even aware shipping had started. This, understandably, led to people asking what was going on, for which Crane engaged in mockery and in some cases just refunding people and cancelling their orders for the temerity of daring to ask where their stuff was.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mors Rattus posted:

The hell is the warehouse for?

Unsold copies of the Rifter.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'll admit that while I'm glad I got a copy of the Burning Wheel Codex, the KS was a complete pain to deal with. It didn't help that they were creating shipping labels en masse before actually sending books out. I got a "shipping label created" email notification before GenCon, but my book didn't actually get mailed out for two and change weeks.

I mean, I got it, but the whole thing could have been easier all around. Especially if Luke could have dropped the stupid wizard-speak shtick that I don't think anyone besides him liked for five minutes to just say "here's what's going on with shipping".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Unsold copies of the Rifter.

I don't know if you're joking because this is close enough to be true.

Siembieda is fixated on making sure they have most of their books in stock. It doesn't matter if it's three months old or three decades old. There are exceptions- for awhile they tried to do the same with The Rifter, but after five years they started to realize keeping every issue in print was madness even by Palladium standards. That's why they sell "grab bags" of books cheap every year- to clear excess stock. I remember buying a book a few years ago from their booth that had literally yellowed with age.

That's also why if you ever shop for Palladium books online (not that I would know :kiddo:), their old books are cheap as hell because they've been reprinted five or more times and there are way more copies of Rifts World Book Four: Africa floating around than the gaming community could possibly ever want or need. Granted, one copy would probably still be too many, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't know if you're joking because this is close enough to be true.

Siembieda is fixated on making sure they have most of their books in stock. It doesn't matter if it's three months old or three decades old. There are exceptions- for awhile they tried to do the same with The Rifter, but after five years they started to realize keeping every issue in print was madness even by Palladium standards. That's why they sell "grab bags" of books cheap every year- to clear excess stock. I remember buying a book a few years ago from their booth that had literally yellowed with age.

That's also why if you ever shop for Palladium books online (not that I would know :kiddo:), their old books are cheap as hell because they've been reprinted five or more times and there are way more copies of Rifts World Book Four: Africa floating around than the gaming community could possibly ever want or need. Granted, one copy would probably still be too many, but I'm sure you get the idea.

I was only half joking, I'm well aware of their insane policy of keeping everything in stock. Kev should just retool his lines to POD for the stuff that doesn't sell consistently, he'd potentially save a ton of money over keeping what is essentially pre recycled pulp around his warehouse.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I like some of Luke Crane's games, but he needs to be shocked every time he comes up with a twee new term for an otherwise self-explanatory word. The dumb wizard-speak just seems like an extension of that.

And while we're on the subject, he can make very pretty individual pages, but there's not a single layout he's done that's easy to use, and that drives me up the drat wall.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

grassy gnoll posted:

I like some of Luke Crane's games, but he needs to be shocked every time he comes up with a twee new term for an otherwise self-explanatory word. The dumb wizard-speak just seems like an extension of that.

And while we're on the subject, he can make very pretty individual pages, but there's not a single layout he's done that's easy to use, and that drives me up the drat wall.

cowards

traitors

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Oh, certainly not, it's just that the little things keep adding up to a picture that not everything is all that organized. It's probably just related to my pessimism over the TG industry as of late, though.

I can state with great certainty that SJG's business is not all that well organized, though 'being generally functional and maintaining a positive cash flow trickle' puts them head and shoulders above a lot of former game studios. These days anyone who wants to keep doing games in a real office has to have it pretty together, even Siembieda has had to clean up (and clean house) a bit.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

grassy gnoll posted:

I got my package from Crane the other day and when i popped it open, found out i had accidentally ordered another copy of Burning Wheel Gold by mistake ( I just clicked the first thing that gave me A book and was done with it), when i already own two already. I know it's my own fault, but I am still so mad at that loving obtuse poo poo he put out that made me stay away from his kickstarter page, and ignore his updates.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Mors Rattus posted:

cowards

traitors

Is the information you need to draft a character in the setting chapter? Learning to play? What is an RPG? Because it's not in the character creation chapter!

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I got my package from Crane the other day and when i popped it open, found out i had accidentally ordered another copy of Burning Wheel Gold by mistake ( I just clicked the first thing that gave me A book and was done with it), when i already own two already. I know it's my own fault, but I am still so mad at that loving obtuse poo poo he put out that made me stay away from his kickstarter page, and ignore his updates.

Send that poo poo right back and tell him to replace it with what you actually wanted, and make it clear the fuckup was caused by his word vomit. Seriously.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Man, Luke Crane sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's a depressing number of people defending him with "well, that's how he wants to do business"-type language, like that excuses anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Crane's actual defense seems to be "we're delivering on or before our KS deadline, so stop complaining". Eh, I can sort of see it. But goddamn he's being petty.

• Locked thread