Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

I did it three times in a row on three different kings and got my junk cut off every time. It will cut off your junk guaranteesd
i dont see how these two posts contradict one another, seeing as I usually run gavelkind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Swedish Horror posted:

My physician gave me a potion to increase my fertility and it ended up turning me gay. The event also caused half the goddamn court to be my lovers.

So it sounds like it worked, then.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

widespread posted:

Game get. Is the tutorial a good idea or is it better to just rush headlong into fuckery?

The in-game tutorial doesn't help you much, but check out the tutorial LP thread in the OP. CapnAndy's is especially good at teaching the mechanics.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Oh my god two of the women my king fell in love with are the wives of two of my most powerful dukes. This is going to end well.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Famethrowa posted:

I prefer the "jumping in and losing horribly" strategy, because I found the interface pretty intuitive, and the shenanigans are fun at any skill level, but it wouldn't hurt to watch the very basics of arumba's tutorials on YouTube. I didn't like the ingame tutorial because it mixed advanced play with essentials.

Otherwise, it's a game that is pretty fun even without knowing the nitty gritty stats. 1066 Ireland is Tutorial Island, so just pick a count and try to conquer the kingdom.

Well I got lost as some rear end in a top hat from the Holy Roman empire kept besieging me. And a bunch of plots to kill my Spymaster.

Note: I picked France in 1066.

Solemn Sloth posted:

The tutorial now is pretty decent for introducing you to the interface etc

I should play the tutorial then.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
You definitely need to try the tutorial because you completely missed the point of this game which is to destroy France, not play as them. You les incompetent

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Someone was asking about new pet events earlier - I just got one where a random kitten approaches me in the street. I had the option to either A) Pet it, B) Let it follow me home, or C) Kick it.

Option C has a 25% chance of giving me the trait "one-eyed".

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

widespread posted:

I should play the tutorial then.

Skip the tutorial. Read the Irish let's play, the jump in as the king of Mumu, realize a ton has changed since the let's play and muddle through.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've found that if you send your own stacks over, allied stacks will just link up and follow them around forever. Even if you don't really want them to.

Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oops, I just found a bug with one of the new events. I got the "Your rival finally died, do you want to defile their corpse?" event. The rival happened to be my current character's own mother. After taking her skull from the grave as a trophy, I immediately got the follow up event "Someone has defiled the grave of your mother! Who could have done such a thing?"

I feel that I probably shouldn't get that second one if I'm the one that did it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Swedish Horror posted:

My physician gave me a potion to increase my fertility and it ended up turning me gay. The event also caused half the goddamn court to be my lovers.

That happened to me and it impregnated every single one of them that was not a man. I went from no heir to "holy poo poo all the bastards"

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Oops, I just found a bug with one of the new events. I got the "Your rival finally died, do you want to defile their corpse?" event. The rival happened to be my current character's own mother. After taking her skull from the grave as a trophy, I immediately got the follow up event "Someone has defiled the grave of your mother! Who could have done such a thing?"

I feel that I probably shouldn't get that second one if I'm the one that did it.

Well, I'm rather sure if your court is all up in arms about it, you might be a little shy about whipping out the skull and feign caring.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The General posted:

Well, I'm rather sure if your court is all up in arms about it, you might be a little shy about whipping out the skull and feign caring.

They aren't though - the event is worded that like, it's just me that knows/cares about it. And the result of the event is a random chance to get depressed/stressed, which again, kind of weird that I would get depressed/stressed about the desecration of my parent's grave when I'm the one that desecrated it.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

loving TOTONACS!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

And now I realize the major malus of being France in 1066: The current king is 14 years old, therefore I gotta wait two whole years until I can get moving.

Doesn't mean I can't do other stuff like replace the really unpopular Chancellor. Here's to hopefully two years of not being killed!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

widespread posted:

And now I realize the major malus of being France in 1066: The current king is 14 years old, therefore I gotta wait two whole years until I can get moving.

Doesn't mean I can't do other stuff like replace the really unpopular Chancellor. Here's to hopefully two years of not being killed!

Losing is fun!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

Losing is fun!

Indeed it is.

Edit: SEE, I KNEW I CAN TRUST THIS MAN.

widespread fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 30, 2016

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Just a quick question regarding Viceroyalties. I managed to have two under my control in the 769 Byzantine start. Will the Emporer let you keep two when you die or will they split them between two people?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I'm stuck in an Elective Gavelkind and poo poo is all hosed. My son is dead-last even though he doesn't have many negative traits, has a chiefdom and has decent prestige. He's losing to a bunch of nephews, the one who is leading is 19, not married to anybody important, isn't inheriting anything fantastic and has arbitrary, gluttonous and proud on top of being zealous and gregarious. He really doesn't have that much prestige at all. Why are they voting for him? Are they voting for him to spite me? I just don't get it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Lareine posted:

they Are voting for him to spite me

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
There was a time when people would just vote for who you wanted as long as they didn't HATE you. The game goes out of its way to gently caress with you during elections nowadays.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They aren't though - the event is worded that like, it's just me that knows/cares about it. And the result of the event is a random chance to get depressed/stressed, which again, kind of weird that I would get depressed/stressed about the desecration of my parent's grave when I'm the one that desecrated it.

Oh, you're just feeling guilty about it, she was your mom dude. The sooner you come to grips with what you have done, maybe you can move on and enjoy life a little more. I hear some upstart to the west needs a little lesson about who's boss.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Schizotek posted:

There was a time when people would just vote for who you wanted as long as they didn't HATE you. The game goes out of its way to gently caress with you during elections nowadays.

Yeah, elective is pretty much useless unless you're the only voter.

Also, has anyone been noticing how often ai heirs will get matrimarried for no reason? I can't keep my dynasty on the thrones of foreign kingdoms because they'll martimarry their firstborn sons to nobodies, and I think my dukes like doing it just to produce wrong-culture super-duchies.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The General posted:

Oh, you're just feeling guilty about it, she was your mom dude. The sooner you come to grips with what you have done, maybe you can move on and enjoy life a little more. I hear some upstart to the west needs a little lesson about who's boss.

Turns out a bunch of monkeys invading my feast to kali got rid of my stress anyway. Then I got to sacrifice a prisoner!

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yeah, elective is pretty much useless unless you're the only voter.

Also, has anyone been noticing how often ai heirs will get matrimarried for no reason? I can't keep my dynasty on the thrones of foreign kingdoms because they'll martimarry their firstborn sons to nobodies, and I think my dukes like doing it just to produce wrong-culture super-duchies.

Believe me, I am not elective by choice. I'm trying to claw my way out of tribalism

Fake Edit: Also, that guy who was winning before? I caught him plotting to murder one of the other candidates. They sure know how to pick'em right?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
elective monarchy works, if it's agnatic (or enatic if you modded that in, like me). Then it actually gets somewhat manageable and predictable.

If not tho, or if your realm gets too big, then lol yea...too much drat hassle.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Note that there are big differences between Elective Gavelkind and Elective Monarchy. Under Elective Gavelkind, voters really don't like voting for your son. They would rather pick some cousin or nephew and ensure that your demesne gets split up. They want your heir to be weak. Of course, if it turned out that the only male member of your dynasty left was your son, then they wouldn't have any choice...

On the other hand, voters in an Elective Monarchy will frequently vote for whoever you select if they like you. As long as you keep up good relations with your vassals, it's not difficult to hand-pick your successor every time. Voters still don't like electing children, though.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

So yeah. France sucks. Nothing but war and civil war and this:

First the romans invade, then a vassal declares war, now this.

Edit: Now I'm a nutcase and we're out of pickled boar's heads. gently caress France.

widespread fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 30, 2016

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Various Meat Products posted:

Note that there are big differences between Elective Gavelkind and Elective Monarchy. Under Elective Gavelkind, voters really don't like voting for your son. They would rather pick some cousin or nephew and ensure that your demesne gets split up. They want your heir to be weak. Of course, if it turned out that the only male member of your dynasty left was your son, then they wouldn't have any choice...

On the other hand, voters in an Elective Monarchy will frequently vote for whoever you select if they like you. As long as you keep up good relations with your vassals, it's not difficult to hand-pick your successor every time. Voters still don't like electing children, though.

What? Is THAT what they are trying to do? poo poo, that makes a lot of sense. But why would they want to be part of a weakened country?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Lareine posted:

What? Is THAT what they are trying to do? poo poo, that makes a lot of sense. But why would they want to be part of a weakened country?

so they can take over and make it great again

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

so they can take over and make it great again

Over my dead body. I'm beginning to regret marrying my sisters off matrilineally. I guess this gives me even more of an incentive to hurry the gently caress up with the pagan reformation.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I appreciate it is not always easy to do this but ditching any form of Gavelkind as quickly as possible is preferred. Literally any other succession system is less hassle.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I'M GONNA loving EAT MY OWN BROTHER FOR THIS poo poo STOP EATING MY GOD drat BOAR'S HEADS YOU SACKS OF poo poo

Current meal count:
The Physician
The Spymaster
The Marshal
My brother.

widespread fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 30, 2016

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Possibly? Was there some questionable stew and you haven't seen the rascal since?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

The General posted:

Possibly? Was there some questionable stew and you haven't seen the rascal since?

Well who else would give me diarrhea.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm interested in getting into this game for about the 4th time now, and holy god, it just seems so overwhelming :negative:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I just killed my rival by blowing up an inn he was staying at with massive amounts of cow poo poo.

He was my rival because I hosed his wife and she got pregnant. I tried to make it up to him by giving him a duchy, but he denounced her as an adultress, gained the wroth and cruel trait, then the nickname "The Cruel" so I assumed he was beating the poo poo out of her. So I got some murdering on my wee scottish mind. Apparently the rest of Scotland did too because I was up to 900% plot power by the time we decided the best way to free him from his mortal coils was the good old cow-poo poo-car-bomb.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm interested in getting into this game for about the 4th time now, and holy god, it just seems so overwhelming :negative:

It's not. Start small. As your empire gets bigger, so do your worries. You can fumble around with minor stuff, and as your people grow discontent, you can learn how to manage that and ect...

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I just realized I might've hosed it all up regarding reforming the religion. See, I picked up the Necronomicon and I wasn't paying attention and I guess I take a pretty bad piety hit. Is there any easy way to get piety as a Germanic pagan or a way to get rid of that Necronomicon modifier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What's the exact steps to publishing a CK2 mod to the Steam Workshop? I'm trying, but when I click the 'publish' button from the in-game content menu absolutely jack squat happens, and there's no message I can see that tells me why it's gone wrong.

• Locked thread