Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

enotnert posted:

he asked me what the music was coming from, cause he's fuckin 7 and literally had never seen music being played from something not a phone.

buy your poor friend a goddamn stereo already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

atomicthumbs posted:

buy your poor friend a goddamn stereo already

then how will i afford my synthesizer addiction?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

epipen posted:

yeah, be nice to understand why i guess

honestly i always say this, but you'd think yospos (and SA in general) would be more accepting of this sort of stuff?

this is yospos, everyone here has either some sort of mild-to-severe mental illness or persistent learning disability, me included

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Robot Pride posted:

the downside is that you will have an unquenchable appetite and people with even somewhat tenuous self discipline instantly balloon up in weight

lol the first time i took one i ate an entire loaf of bread worth of toast and a 12" shepherds pie

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

fishmech posted:

This is wrong as hell.
mass planned obsolescence was in vogue 50s into the 80s at latest.

Pretty none of that actually happens today. Boo hoo you can't fix your TV? Well it probably lasted a long time with no repair needed. 1960s TV set? In theory still works today, as long as you had 50 years of access to ever dwindling parts and weeks of time for all the necessary repair.

Or look how the average car on the road is 12 years old. In the 60s it'd be more like 4 or 5 because those poo poo buckets needed hella repair and maintenance constantly. And most people would just get a new one

yeah the only reason classic cars are on the road today at all is *a fucktonne of work* - oil changed and carbs tuned every season, new bushings every couple years, you'll probably notice they're almost all the standard v8 engines ford and GM used for loving everything - t-birds and mustangs and poo poo came with 6 cylinder engines, too, there's just fuckall parts for them because the engines weren't also used in trucks, buses, etc
modern cars' bushings last about a decade, oil lasts ages (dont skip oil changes tho) and don't need to change the oil for winter, by using MAFs/AFMs/etc the ECU doesn't need to be retuned for different seasons and altitudes, etc
also you probably can fix your LCD tv, the most common points of failure are still the transformers and caps, it's just a pain to get them open and the parts probably cost more than a new tv
really, in any device at this point the most common point of failure is likely to be the power supply

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah non-rich mental health cases are chased out of here at a furious pace, because we are all such dignified individuals, our garden-variety anxiety and depression and dysmorphia can't be viewed through the same lens as the toiling classes

:colbert:

lmao, do IT students count?

enotnert posted:

on that vice motherboard thing. . . all i gotta say is I have a user making "HIGH END SCIENTIFIC MACHINES" with those loving gamer motherboards (his are by gigabyte)

what the gently caress is with the right angle sata ports?

on technology kids, etc. . . I'm I guess a millenial (1983 wut!) and I had a friends 7 year old over here yesterday, he was bouncy, hyperactive as gently caress, his mom was over here chilling with a bunch of us listening to records and grilling. . . he asked me what the music was coming from, cause he's fuckin 7 and literally had never seen music being played from something not a phone.

I put the kid in front of the turntable and was like "look at it, tell me how you think it works?" "well i think there is music on the disc, and that thing picks up the music signals" "yep, you wanna try putting one on?" "where are there"

took the kid inside, he was like "how do you know what to listen to?" "oh you pull things out and look at them, for now just pull them out like this, if you think it looks cool, i'll let you put it on"

He pulled out a thin lizzy album, asked me where I got all my albums "well kiddo, my momma is a lot older than your momma, and while I've bought a lot of these, she had a lot she didn't have a thing to play them on anymore"

Then I put him in front of the turntable, and outside of initially putting the needle in the center of the record he quickly went "OH!" and moved it to the outside, then rocked out and danced his little 7 year old rear end off and had the time of his life.

this is adorable
also the right angle sata ports are, ostensibly, to keep cables out of the airflow, and to facilitate routing them thru cable management holes in the case i guess. i mostly find they're just a pain in the arse but virtually every board has them, and it saves on some board space if you're going to have a whole tonne of sata ports

atomicthumbs posted:

this is yospos, everyone here has either some sort of mild-to-severe mental illness or persistent learning disability, me included

fuckin' same

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
]

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
friend of mine had a 1928 buick and the manual said "have your man adjust the spark gap every 500 miles". because there was so much maintenance you had to had a dedicated full time manservant to drive you around in it and keep it running

he also had a mode A ford. didn't need oil changes, which sounds better than todays cars but then you read the manual and see that it had no oil pan - it just dumped oil out onto the ground and you put new oil in every 500 miles. the manual actually said this was a feature because it helped keep dirt roads from getting too dusty.

modern things are a lot more reliable and low maintenance. a new car will go 7500-10,000 miles without even an oil change, just gas, and it won't have a carb that needs to be adjusted when the humidity changes and other poo poo like that that we forget about today.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 30, 2016

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

reminds me of a coloring book i had when i was a child. it had some cool and completely impractical/impossible concept planes in it. i can only find small pics of it tho. here they are.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
upgrading pc parts is fun but it comes at a cost - the standard form factor - that limits how small and light you can make things. also computers really only last 4-6 years tops before you start to feel the need for more speed.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
yeah looking at super old cars you can see why early electric cars were actually competitive for a while even though they were lovely heavy rear end bullshit full of lead-acid batteries

or why steam engine cars lasted as long as they did even though you needed to fill the water tank before every trip and start it 10 minutes before you actually wanted to go anywhere to give the boiler time to warm up

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

meanwhile i just put gas into my 98 toyota every once in a while and take for granted that it will take me however far i need to go, whenever i want, and that it'll probably last for another ten years with minimal maintenance

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

C.H.O.M.E posted:

friend of mine had a 1928 buick and the manual said "have your man adjust the spark gap every 500 miles". because there was so much maintenance you had to had a dedicated full time manservant to drive you around in it and keep it running

he also had a mode A ford. did bot need oil changes, which sounds better than todays cars but then you read the manual and see that it had no oil pan - it just dumped oil out onto the ground and you put new oil in every 500 miles. the manual actually said this was a feature because it helped keep dirt roads from getting too dusty.

modern things are a lot more reliable and low maintenance. a new car will go 7500-10,000 miles without even an oil change, just gas, and it won't have a carb that needs to be adjusted when the humidity changes and other poo poo like that that we forget about today.
im old enough to remember the cars of the distant 1970s, and how 1) actually getting them started without flooding the engine could be a real chore and 2) on cold days you had to let them run in your driveway for ten minutes to "heat up" else you'd do real damage to your engine

modern cars own

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
we will likely never surpass the energy density of gasoline with battery technology

and by 'surpass' I mean like "get within 1/100th the energy density"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have a friend who worked at the henry ford museum when he was in college, as a guide and driver of the old model Ts that you can get a ride in

he said that at least once a day there'd be some cocky guy who'd be like "hey, can i drive it? i'm a real good driver" and nag him about it, so after a while he'd let in and go "alright, sure, slide on over"

and then just smugly grin as the guy would sit down, put his hands on the wheel, pause for a second, and go "....uh....i....uhm....how do..."

quote:

The Model T's transmission was controlled with three foot pedals and a lever that was mounted to the road side of the driver's seat. The throttle was controlled with a lever on the steering wheel. The left pedal was used to engage the gear. With the floor lever in either the mid position or fully forward and the pedal pressed and held forward the car entered low gear. When held in an intermediate position the car was in neutral. If the driver took his foot off the left pedal, the Model T entered high gear, but only when the lever was fully forward – in any other position the pedal would only move up as far as the central neutral position. This allowed the car to be held in neutral while the driver cranked the engine by hand. The car could thus cruise without the driver having to press any of the pedals. There was no separate clutch pedal.

When the car was in neutral, the middle pedal was used to engage reverse gear, and the right pedal operated the transmission brake – there were no separate brakes on the wheels. The floor lever also controlled the parking brake, which was activated by pulling the lever all the way back. This doubled as an emergency brake.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Moist von Lipwig posted:

we will likely never surpass the energy density of gasoline with battery technology

yeah but it doesn't actually need to, it just needs to make a car go 300+ miles and charge in 10 minutes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

yea. liquid fuels are far and away the most convenient and powerful way of storing energy we've got, and gasoline is the queen of liquid fuels

imo battery-electric cars are a stopgap for the next twenty years or so until someone invents an efficient direct-methanol fuel cell and bioengineers a good way of getting cellulosic alcohol...then we'll just switch right back to trucking liquid fuel and pumping it into tanks, with neutral carbon debt and twice the efficiency

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

i have a friend who worked at the henry ford museum when he was in college, as a guide and driver of the old model Ts that you can get a ride in

he said that at least once a day there'd be some cocky guy who'd be like "hey, can i drive it? i'm a real good driver" and nag him about it, so after a while he'd let in and go "alright, sure, slide on over"

and then just smugly grin as the guy would sit down, put his hands on the wheel, pause for a second, and go "....uh....i....uhm....how do..."

yeah i was a pro too until i got in the buick and was like
me: "what is this lever on the steering wheel hub?"
him: "that adjusts spark timing"
me: "i'm out"

also the model A had to go up steep hills backwards to keep the gas tank (also the dashboard) above the engine.

driving a model t sounds about as complicated as that silent movie piano guy pulling all the levers.

hit it joe! <me stalls immediately>

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

yea. liquid fuels are far and away the most convenient and powerful way of storing energy we've got, and gasoline is the queen of liquid fuels

imo battery-electric cars are a stopgap for the next twenty years or so until someone invents an efficient direct-methanol fuel cell and bioengineers a good way of getting cellulosic alcohol...then we'll just switch right back to trucking liquid fuel and pumping it into tanks, with neutral carbon debt and twice the efficiency
algal biodiesel is a ways off but it will get here eventually

another possibility: cheap electricity (from renewables) + water = hydrogen fuel

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Moist von Lipwig posted:

even if you have to cart around your own oxygen it's still worth it

gently caress even if you have to bring the oxygen and gasoline all the way from earth to, like, mars, it would still be worth considering having a gas engine in your rover

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also let's get to work on those nuclear isomer batteries already

i want the full on science fiction "damaged phaser power pack melts down and vaporizes entire city block" effect

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i propose that, for fuel, we figure out what the sun is made of and then bottle that.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

i propose that, for fuel, we figure out what the sun is made of and then bottle that.

what the gently caress do you think sun chips are dumbass

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

duTrieux. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW55cViXu6s

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

algal biodiesel is a ways off but it will get here eventually

another possibility: cheap electricity (from renewables) + water = hydrogen fuel

it doesn't even have to be electricity, i remember like 13 years ago hearing about some way to design nuclear power plants in such a way that some of the excess heat could be used to generate hydrogen

given a sufficient energy surplus, would it be possible to just synthesize gasoline with carbon from the atmosphere?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ol qwerty bastard posted:

or why steam engine cars lasted as long as they did even though you needed to fill the water tank before every trip and start it 10 minutes before you actually wanted to go anywhere to give the boiler time to warm up

you say this and yet my neighbors with gasoline fueled trucks will run their engines for > 10 minutes just to warm them up

it fills me with liquid hatred

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

back when the wright brothers were working on gliders there were basically two schools of thought w/r/t how to go about making a plane

the first school was guys who figured that you could just load up your plane with propellers and fans and poo poo without a lot of thought towards aerodynamics. they wanted to just plow through the air like the airplane was a big truck, and they were known as "chauffeurs".

the second school was guys who thought it was more important to make carefully-balanced aerodynamic shapes and have a really good handle on maneuvering, pretty much to work with the principles of aerodynamics instead of trying to make them your bitch. the guys were called "airmen".

anyways the wright brothers were airmen and it worked out pretty well for them, while the dude who drew that picture was a gigantic chauffeur fanboy.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

reminds me of a coloring book i had when i was a child. it had some cool and completely impractical/impossible concept planes in it. i can only find small pics of it tho. here they are.

Glorgnole posted:

back when the wright brothers were working on gliders there were basically two schools of thought w/r/t how to go about making a plane

the first school was guys who figured that you could just load up your plane with propellers and fans and poo poo without a lot of thought towards aerodynamics. they wanted to just plow through the air like the airplane was a big truck, and they were known as "chauffeurs".

the second school was guys who thought it was more important to make carefully-balanced aerodynamic shapes and have a really good handle on maneuvering, pretty much to work with the principles of aerodynamics instead of trying to make them your bitch. the guys were called "airmen".

anyways the wright brothers were airmen and it worked out pretty well for them, while the dude who drew that picture was a gigantic chauffeur fanboy.

these posts are great

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

i was on olanzipine b4 and switching to seroquel was like

like breathing

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

reminds me of that east german inventor dude karl hans janke who was locked up in a gdr asylum http://tinyurl.com/jkdr2ce

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Breakfast All Day posted:

You can't use those for fuel because they're frozen, moron. Ever touched one?

brinstar
Aug 10, 2003

Breakfast All Day posted:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

Glorgnole posted:

duTrieux. posted:

these posts are great

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

as a sedative or what do you like about it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Robot Pride posted:

it's hosed up that i can actually hear the recorder sound when i am reading those "notes"

dude, they are currency in detention/prison because they are awesome. you will have the best sleep and will have 10 hour amazing technocolor dreamcoat dreams that you will love every goddamn night

the downside is that you will have an unquenchable appetite and people with even somewhat tenuous self discipline instantly balloon up in weight

e: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=q%20ball
called q balls because the generic of seroquel is Quetiapine (the pro-est tip)

yeah? I dispense a shitload of it and no one really describes it as good. what kind of dose does that to ya

I knew one girl that would wake up with half eaten food in her mouth coz of the appetite it gave her

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

here's a hot take

millennials as a group are not "good with technology" any more than any other demographic. they just spend way more time on instagram and facebook, and the olds perceive anything on a computer as everything to do with computers, so therefore braden who's always on that computer of his must be some kind of computer genius and let's sign him up for computer science!!!!

nerds are nerds and scrubs are scrubs, and building a pc is still well in the nerd range

:iiaca: modern peoples are very good at driving until something goes wrong but have no idea whatsoever how a car actually works or anything you can do to fix it

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
im good with cars

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gabapentin is probably the best drug I have ever tried that actually allows you to function

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
my favourite are the old engines where you could manually advance the valve timing from the driver's/pilot's seat
like VTEC, but far more likely to open a window in the block

i just paid $40 for a script of melatonin, loving kill me

Graff
May 10, 2012

echinopsis posted:

gabapentin is probably the best drug I have ever tried that actually allows you to function

apparently scouse speed freaks like it a bunch, or so I am told

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

echinopsis posted:

yeah? I dispense a shitload of it and no one really describes it as good. what kind of dose does that to ya

I knew one girl that would wake up with half eaten food in her mouth coz of the appetite it gave her

100mg with no tolerance will get you pretty stoned followed by coma-like hibernation that will be amazing and when i say stoned i really mean stoned. expect to sleep at least 10 hours and you will def still be quite a bit stoned and happy when you wake up i loving guarantee it

and if you are used to it control yourself and don't eat after you drop it because it fucks with your ability to swallow. it takes about 10-15 minutes to grab you by the rear end once you eat it

if you are unfortunate enough to live in america and not have insurance the poo poo will cost you about $300 per month which is relatively cheap for a respectable drug habit. just like rushing it with coke like in the link i posted it really pairs well with most stimulants and i spent many nights lifted on it while dipping kodiak

epipen posted:

i just paid $40 for a script of melatonin, loving kill me

wow, that is a pretty shameful hustle

• Locked thread