Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Zoe Quinn is a person who, if she were not the symbolic strawman of every hateful internet dweeb, I probably would distance myself from and avoid since she seems like she's got some problems and I don't really like her personality.

Yeah I'm agreeing with this. My problem isn't with anyone's reaction to the game itself, it's that these jerkasses have sent a very clear message that I will never be a "Real" geek until I stop caring about mental health and stop encouraging others to care about mental health.

TinTower posted:

So help me out, guys, on how to figure out this guy. He says he's a Marxist-Leninist but a lot of his viewpoints seem very far-rightish. Like, for example, the sedevacantism borne out of the Catholic Church being full of gays.

It is an achingly normal occurence for wannabe revolutionaries with poorly ironed on Lenin shirts to decry "Identity politics" as a distraction to keep us workers from uniting against the real enemies. A depressingly large number of them harbor racist viewpoints and think that's a good enough smokescreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TinTower posted:

So help me out, guys, on how to figure out this guy. He says he's a Marxist-Leninist but a lot of his viewpoints seem very far-rightish. Like, for example, the sedevacantism borne out of the Catholic Church being full of gays.

This site is hilarious.

Prof. Tony Hall posted:

9/11 and the Zionist Question: Is Noam Chomsky a Disinfo Agent for Israel? - Part 13

Mark Taliano posted:

Henry Lowendorf: What we saw in Syria goes against everything we read in the United States

Maybe we should make a separate thread called PYF Tankie or Other Authoritarian Moonbat?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tracula posted:

Same guy. I'm not a big fan of him and he's done some obviously lovely stuff but he's really done what he can to distance himself from that one post everyone likes to throw around, he's admitted how loving stupid that was.

Unless you give me a link of TB specifically saying that GamerGate is awful and he apologizes for all the poo poo he has done to push GG, I'll keep saying he can spend his very finite moments however he likes.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

Zoe Quinn is a person who, if she were not the symbolic strawman of every hateful internet dweeb, I probably would distance myself from and avoid since she seems like she's got some problems and I don't really like her personality.

It's almost as if being highly emotionally invested in video games is linked with social deficits, regardless of gender.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

I followed both her and Brianna Wu on Twitter for a while and ended up having to unfollow them both because they were obnoxious.

Of course, in my world, "obnoxious" does not equate to "immoral, lying slut," nor does it even make a person's arguments wrong.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ikanreed posted:

Horseshoe. Once you've decided the status quo is completely intolerable and must be violently overthrown, your resulting ideology is able to take whatever crazy ideas you personally think are important and glue them onto your revolutionary ideology.

See also: pro-trump accelerationists.

Or National Bolsheviks

hackbunny posted:

So it sold but I don't get the impression that it's a particularly beloved game

Maybe I just hang out in the "right" circles but everyone I've known who played it has loved it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

ikanreed posted:

Horseshoe. Once you've decided the status quo is completely intolerable and must be violently overthrown, your resulting ideology is able to take whatever crazy ideas you personally think are important and glue them onto your revolutionary ideology.

See also: pro-trump accelerationists.

Also, the Pro-Russian imperialism Anti-imperialism thread. :laugh:

As for Gone Home/Depression Quest chat, is it bad that I really have no interest in playing either? Neither of them really seem like my thing, so I'm just going to not play them and let the people who like artsy indie games enjoy them instead of posting a 90,000 word screed about how feminism is killing my vidya games.

Silver2195 posted:

Maybe we should make a separate thread called PYF Tankie or Other Authoritarian Moonbat?

Do it.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Aug 29, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Silver2195 posted:

This site is hilarious.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I dunno if it's just my cynicism talking, but when I see media outlets bend over backwards to describe themselves as "independent" and "free-thinking", I immediately figure them to by either conspiracy nut jobs or disinformation-for-hire. Perhaps because of the untreated sewage indymedia publishes most of the time, I guess.

Silver2195 posted:

This seems like a good idea.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I've always found Zoe Quinn perfectly nice, and this feels like gratuitous balance fallacy at best. Also, she's not actually a celebrity whose job it somehow is to be picked at by a public.

In other news, I've finished a draft of my review of that loving Fenris Wulf book (with much thanks to helpful goons here and on the PYF Terrible Book thread). Should be up later this week or early next week.

divabot has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Aug 29, 2016

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Woolie Wool posted:

As for Gone Home/Depression Quest chat, is it bad that I really have no interest in playing either?

You're only interested in playing ancient games at lovely resolutions anyway, so this does not come as a shock.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

divabot posted:

I've always found Zoe Quinn perfectly nice, and this feels like gratuitous balance fallacy at best. Also, she's not actually a celebrity whose job it somehow is to be picked at by a public.

Also this. Y'all are being real dumb rn.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Also this. Y'all are being real dumb rn.
I think I made my point badly, then. :( To be clear, I think GG is bullshit and she deserves support from the gaming community for standing up to their bullshit, and it's ridiculous that anyone even cares how many people she slept with or when or why. It's all atrocious bullshit that no one deserves.

Given all that, however, I've noticed that some people who don't have a dog in this fight seem to think that GG must have a point because they don't like Zoe Quinn - like you're only acceptable as a sympathetic victim if you're sweet and innocent and pure enough. My point, if awkwardly phrased, was just that you don't have to like her to think that the way she's been treated is bullshit.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

pookel posted:

I think I made my point badly, then. :( To be clear, I think GG is bullshit and she deserves support from the gaming community for standing up to their bullshit, and it's ridiculous that anyone even cares how many people she slept with or when or why. It's all atrocious bullshit that no one deserves.

Given all that, however, I've noticed that some people who don't have a dog in this fight seem to think that GG must have a point because they don't like Zoe Quinn - like you're only acceptable as a sympathetic victim if you're sweet and innocent and pure enough. My point, if awkwardly phrased, was just that you don't have to like her to think that the way she's been treated is bullshit.

Ah, yes, I agree with that. My bad.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

poptart_fairy posted:

Can't speak for the internet at large, but it only pops up at SA when someone has an axe to grind. "Don't talk about gamergate" rapidly became "talk about gamergate all the time but only if you bring it up in PYF".

Like Milo it thrives only when people are daft enough to give it attention.

What did winning ever do for the cuckservative movement? We can never genuinely win at democratic politics. The Gimmiedat Obamaphone party single mom party always wins regardless of the nominal result. That is inherently baked in to the nature of democracy. That is what Democracy is. Democracy is single mums on my tax dollar and obamaphones on my phone bill.

Indeed, Trump losing is in many ways a better outcome than him winning, but failing to suspend the constitution and declare himself Trump the First.

The best outcome is not Trump winning the election, which would make almost no difference, but Trump declaring himself God Emperor Trump the first.

But such an outcome would be premature. I figure on something like that happening in 2024 election cycle, rather than this election cycle, after Hillary imports a hundred million black Muslims screaming for infidel blood and white pussy, and starts with the mandatory sex change operations for white males.

Win the election, we might destroy democracy, but it is a long shot, winning the election is merely the first step on a hard road, and I always described it as such.

Lose the election, we will surely destroy the cuckservative party. We get their gravy, they get to be interns in the Democrat party and clean Hillary’s toilet bowl with their tongues.

As I said in the beginning, the campaign has done more for liberty in the US, regardless of whether Trump wins or loses, than every conservative election win in the last hundred years put together. And I said that when it was far from clear he would become the Republican presidential candidate. Now the remaining questions are whether he will become president, and whether he will become God Emperor.

I rather think he will become President, but if he fails now, we are still better off than with a hundred Romney/Bush victories.

That is what we mean when we say Trump for God Emperor – that Republic is done, and he should do what Augustus did.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I read that as Trump the Fist and think the essay was better for it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Antivehicular posted:

I read that as Trump the Fist and think the essay was better for it.

“Trump for God Emperor” – Just popped a boner.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
To the tune of "Mack the Knife"

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Small Frozen Thing posted:

You're only interested in playing ancient games at lovely resolutions anyway, so this does not come as a shock.

1920x1200 is a perfectly respectable resolution. :colbert:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Also, those of you who think GamerGate has gone away are tragically mistaken, one need only look to the Ghostbusters thread in CineD to find some right here on Something Awful.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
No, GamerGate will never go away cause everyone wants to keep fighting over it. Neither side wants to give up, they've both found an enemy they can hate forever. It'll go on for eternity, the annoying parts of the internet just slinging it at each other past the time words have meaning.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Grondoth posted:

No, GamerGate will never go away cause everyone wants to keep fighting over it. Neither side wants to give up, they've both found an enemy they can hate forever. It'll go on for eternity, the annoying parts of the internet just slinging it at each other past the time words have meaning.

Perhaps you could say the truth is in the middle????

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Grondoth posted:

Lmao

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Grondoth posted:

Please don't do this.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
So The Onion gets depressingly real:
http://www.theonion.com/infographic/what-alt-right-53747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Grondoth posted:

Good god.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Grondoth posted:

One day South Park will do an episode on it and you'll be given the answer of which side to support.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Grondoth posted:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Grondoth posted:

However, there is a line of evidence that preservation of Aryan genes in high-caste Indians is not the only reason they are smart.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Grondoth posted:

Please don't make rape threats

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Grondoth posted:

Hmm perhaps total human garbage and people fighting against total human garbage are morally equivalent.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Gosh those people who keep getting threats just want to keep the fight going.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Whatever "side" of gamergate you fall on, gamergate is exactly the kind of intellectual masturbation constantly missing the complex reality forest for the pedantic trees that this thread was made to mock.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ikanreed posted:

Whatever "side" of gamergate you fall on, gamergate is exactly the kind of intellectual masturbation constantly missing the complex reality forest for the pedantic trees that this thread was made to mock.

So you're saying those women really deserved it then?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

GunnerJ posted:

Good news, you don't have to like a game shitheads disliked to not be a shithead.

Also you don't have to like something to get a hit of that delicious schadenfreude. Undertale looks super dumb and garbage to me, but that post up above about how gamergate shitheads apparently couldn't prevent Undertale's super annoying megafans from voting it best game evar warmed the cockles of my heart. As the great Judge John Hodgman said, you like what you like. It's great that GG had a bit of comeuppance when it tried to deny that people liked something GG hates.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ikanreed posted:

"don't harass women" is truly intellectual masturbation you stupid idiot

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

So you're saying those women really deserved it then?

Or perhaps he means they still deserve it because it's still going on it's just a quieter background hum level of death and rape threats.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

BobHoward posted:

Also you don't have to like something to get a hit of that delicious schadenfreude. Undertale looks super dumb and garbage to me, but that post up above about how gamergate shitheads apparently couldn't prevent Undertale's super annoying megafans from voting it best game evar warmed the cockles of my heart. As the great Judge John Hodgman said, you like what you like. It's great that GG had a bit of comeuppance when it tried to deny that people liked something GG hates.

Undertale was incredibly good whereas you appear to be a yosposter???

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The only thing that makes this forum angrier than gamergate is people possibly maybe seeming to appear as if they dislike Undertale or Homestuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

The only thing that makes this forum angrier than gamergate is people possibly maybe seeming to appear as if they dislike Undertale or Homestuck.

I like Undertale but hate Homestuck after reading a good huge chunk of it but can understand why Undertale isn't for everyone or why someone might like Homestuck

I think Slowbeef explained Undertale pretty well, he basically said that it's a fun cute little game with a lot of wit and clever ideas and now that it's been declared the best game of all time it absolutely cannot live up to that label when new players are introduced and it massively amplifies any dislike for it