Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Nate RFB posted:

Apparently of all things it's the "Game" mode of my TV that's causing my N64 visual glitch :psyduck: The problem went away as soon as I connected the thing to another monitor/TV, and anything I tried on the original TV (XRGB, S-Video, even Composite!) had the issue. But setting it to something like "Standard" instead of "Game fixes that...at the expense of a lot more input lag which kind of really blows.

Are there any sub settings in the game mode that could help? Or maybe things you can turn off in other modes to get the lag down? That is weird.

What is the glitch again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Nate RFB posted:

Apparently of all things it's the "Game" mode of my TV that's causing my N64 visual glitch :psyduck: The problem went away as soon as I connected the thing to another monitor/TV, and anything I tried on the original TV (XRGB, S-Video, even Composite!) had the issue. But setting it to something like "Standard" instead of "Game fixes that...at the expense of a lot more input lag which kind of really blows.

I can't remember which one it is, but I know there is some setting on the XRGB-Mini that fixes sync issues like this. I was having a lot of problems with my XRGB and certain displays until I toggled it off.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Hate to be "that guy" but I think you might be overvaluing that system by quite a lot. On average the console with all hookups tends to go for $200-ish. The box alone goes for around $200 on eBay. I don't think the manuals, bags and cds make up for the rest of your asking price.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Kramdar posted:

Seriously though. By the time you find the right box and proper packing materials, you're best bet is eBay. Unless you need the money yesterday, just put it up as a buy it now for 30 days, and offer shipping to Canada. Get accurate weight for shipping and and have it set as calculated. It'll sell.

Edit: I hate selling my video games, but I have so many bills nowadays. But I have learned from my mom for years about selling antiques. And I know exactly what to do to get every dollar outta eBay. I'm sure a few others on here do too. No OBO either.

Ya, seriously. Just doing a quick Completed Listing search on eBay for the X'Eye, there was one that sold in box for ~$600 shipped, I think it was an auction as well. The questions on it were asking about the foam inserts (which he said he did not have) and the box was like an 8/10 or so cosmetically. So listing it at a reasonable BIN price compared to that listing could get it moved semi-quickly.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

flyboi posted:

Hate to be "that guy" but I think you might be overvaluing that system by quite a lot. On average the console with all hookups tends to go for $200-ish. The box alone goes for around $200 on eBay. I don't think the manuals, bags and cds make up for the rest of your asking price.

The original price, maybe so, but the new-reduced offer is probably roughly what it should be.

A not complete X'eye (with several games, nothing special) sold for around $600, and the box is in worse shape,no foam inserts, and not complete with manuals and inserts like the one he's offering.

Considering how rare it really is in this condition, it's not surprising to see the price skyrocket.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Kramdar posted:

Seriously though. By the time you find the right box and proper packing materials, you're best bet is eBay. Unless you need the money yesterday, just put it up as a buy it now for 30 days, and offer shipping to Canada. Get accurate weight for shipping and and have it set as calculated. It'll sell.

Edit: I hate selling my video games, but I have so many bills nowadays. But I have learned from my mom for years about selling antiques. And I know exactly what to do to get every dollar outta eBay. I'm sure a few others on here do too. No OBO either.
Packing's not a problem. I have several giant empty boxes from Amazon and a ton of packing paper, airbags, etc...from when I used to sell my games. Problem with Ebay is that I literally don't have the time for that either. When I originally signed up and requested to increase my limit, they sent me like a "fraud test" or something and asked me questions about who I know and what year my old car was or something but all their "answers" were wrong (multiple choice) so I somehow failed my own test. Called them up to see what the hell and since they weren't willing to help me (even though I offered to send them proof), I told them to gently caress off. So I'm pretty sure my Ebay limit is $500. This is even after I had a professional business account with PayPal.

Regarding time, rent needs to be paid by the 3rd at the absolute latest so it needs to be bought in time for it to transfer from PayPal to my bank account (so that'd be like the 31st but gently caress that's close).

It's just lovely since I have a huge audio job coming up in (hopefully) a few weeks and some other smaller gigs but if I lose my place, that goes out the window. A lot of poo poo goes out the window.

(I'm throwing the X'Eye out the window)

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

The Joe Man posted:

Packing's not a problem. I have several giant empty boxes from Amazon and a ton of packing paper, airbags, etc...from when I used to sell my games. Problem with Ebay is that I literally don't have the time for that either. When I originally signed up and requested to increase my limit, they sent me like a "fraud test" or something and asked me questions about who I know and what year my old car was or something but all their "answers" were wrong (multiple choice) so I somehow failed my own test. Called them up to see what the hell and since they weren't willing to help me (even though I offered to send them proof), I told them to gently caress off. So I'm pretty sure my Ebay limit is $500. This is even after I had a professional business account with PayPal.

Regarding time, rent needs to be paid by the 3rd at the absolute latest so it needs to be bought in time for it to transfer from PayPal to my bank account (so that'd be like the 31st but gently caress that's close).

It's just lovely since I have a huge audio job coming up in (hopefully) a few weeks and some other smaller gigs but if I lose my place, that goes out the window. A lot of poo poo goes out the window.

(I'm throwing the X'Eye out the window)

I'd be hounding that roommate for rent. Even with a job change, they are responsible for paying the rent or finding a replacement roommate. If that roommate was officially on the lease, maybe you can talk with your landlord/rental company about how you were left high and dry and get an extension without a late charge (or drop it on a credit card). Heck, some will take Paypal so you may not have to wait for the transfer back to your bank.

I'd still work on selling the X'Eye just so you have that money in savings for the future. A month's expenses in savings is more important than Saturn games.

Otherwise, maybe Craigslist, Offer Up or the like in your area may have a retro gamer lurking around that may want the X'Eye.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 30, 2016

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

I'd be hounding that roommate for rent. Even with a job change, they are responsible for paying the rent or finding a replacement roommate. If that roommate was officially on the lease, maybe you can talk with your landlord/rental company about how you were left high and dry and get an extension without a late charge (or drop it on a credit card). Heck, some will take Paypal so you may not have to wait for the transfer back to your bank.

Hell, even with a late charge, an extension would give The Joe Man a little more breathing room to maneuver with. If he and his roomie(s) have been good tenants otherwise, and can present a solid case for when they absolutely will pay, I suspect their landlord or whomever might be amenable to it. If the alternative is having an empty property/unit with a tenuous date for when it can generate rental income again anyway (to say nothing of the cost of preparing the unit for new tenants), then it might be worth it from the landlord's perspective to try and cut them a break in the hopes of retaining tenancy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

FireMrshlBill posted:

Are there any sub settings in the game mode that could help? Or maybe things you can turn off in other modes to get the lag down? That is weird.

What is the glitch again?
I ran the whole gamut basically; things like Noise Reduction and similar options are available, but none seemed to have an effect.

The issue presents itself as a horizontal artifact that scrolls vertically every 10 seconds or so.

Monitor Burn posted:

I can't remember which one it is, but I know there is some setting on the XRGB-Mini that fixes sync issues like this. I was having a lot of problems with my XRGB and certain displays until I toggled it off.
I've gone through almost every Sync option imaginable on the XRGB; the only one that seems to make a definitive difference is when I set SYNC_MODE from "Auto" to "Off". This replaces the glitch with a less annoying screen stutter/judder and is probably what I'll use temporarily but it certainly does not fully resolve the problem. This is not to say that there is a possibility that some special combination of SYNC_LEVEL or SYNC_TIME could combine to help, or even that a different option altogether (I saw some talk about adjusting the A/D level) could fix it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Castle of Illusion HD is being delisted at the end of the week (September 2), go buy that poo poo if you have any interest in playing it ever again. (It's on X360, PS3, PC and mobile, PC's the only version with 60FPS.)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If you had PSN+ you probably already own it as it was a free game at some point.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Castle of Illusion HD is being delisted at the end of the week (September 2), go buy that poo poo if you have any interest in playing it ever again. (It's on X360, PS3, PC and mobile, PC's the only version with 60FPS.)

Ya, it was a free game on PSN a year or two ago. It is also $3.74 on PSN until 8/31 and $14.99 on Steam (not available on GoG). That is weird the rights or whatever are lapsing for them to delist it. I probably will have PS+ for the foreseeable future, will just make sure I play it before cancelling PS+, ha.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Castle of Illusion PC is $2 on the Humble Store https://www.humblebundle.com/store/castle-of-illusion

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

dishwasherlove posted:

Castle of Illusion PC is $2 on the Humble Store https://www.humblebundle.com/store/castle-of-illusion

my biggest problem with this game is that I cant get my non-xbox controller to work with it, even after installing drivers. and gently caress if I'm going to play this game with a keyboard.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
Just got my first Dreamcast! Only...

https://youtu.be/RL0gTr2bLZ4

I have this little problem. What do I do? I'm sure I will have to take it apart, no? Spring issue?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

shake shake

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

how big are those loving maracas

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

My Lovely Horse posted:

how big are those loving maracas

They're maraca sized, it's the sensor bar you put on the floor that fills up the box.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
What's the preservation status on the Samba de Amigo Dreamcast DLC (Like the Sonic Adventure soundtrack) anyway?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DoctorWhat posted:

What's the preservation status on the Samba de Amigo Dreamcast DLC (Like the Sonic Adventure soundtrack) anyway?

You can get a lot of DLC from this site using your DC browser: http://dcdlc.com/downloads.html

There are also VMU/save archives you can burn to a CD-R and load directly to your VMU and I imagine most DLC is on there,

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm probably going to regret going down this rabbit hole but are there any other vendors that do the UltraHDMI work besides RetroFixes and BadAssConsoles?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You can get a lot of DLC from this site using your DC browser: http://dcdlc.com/downloads.html

There are also VMU/save archives you can burn to a CD-R and load directly to your VMU and I imagine most DLC is on there,

That's rad as hell. I don't have a Dreamcast (yet) but it's great to know that stuff is preserved and accessible.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Nate RFB posted:

I'm probably going to regret going down this rabbit hole but are there any other vendors that do the UltraHDMI work besides RetroFixes and BadAssConsoles?

I think the gcvideo can also work with a nintendo 64.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DoctorWhat posted:

That's rad as hell. I don't have a Dreamcast (yet) but it's great to know that stuff is preserved and accessible.

Yeah, most DLC is just unlocks for stuff that's already on the disc so it was easy to archive while it was active and relatively easy to spoof.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah practically everything from the Dreamcast online services that was possible to download to your system has been saved by someone, usually by pirates. The main thing that's missing are like the in-game webstes in a form that the browsers can still access, though some crazy people work up custom DNS servers and host those on their own networks so that say a copy of the Jet Grind Radio in game website that was taken from the internet archive can be accessed by the in-game browser. (Or just a hacked up landing page, that just lets you enter in another URL so you can use the "get graffiti tags from internet pictures" function)

While we're at it, pretty much all the original Xbox and PS2 and GameCube DLC that existed is preserved, and absolutely all the Xbox 360 and PS3 and Wii stuff is (it was easier for them because most things went through the official stores). Similarly pirates have all the Xbox One/PS4/Wii U downloadable content/games on an ongoing basis.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fishmech posted:

Yeah practically everything from the Dreamcast online services that was possible to download to your system has been saved by someone, usually by pirates. The main thing that's missing are like the in-game webstes in a form that the browsers can still access, though some crazy people work up custom DNS servers and host those on their own networks so that say a copy of the Jet Grind Radio in game website that was taken from the internet archive can be accessed by the in-game browser. (Or just a hacked up landing page, that just lets you enter in another URL so you can use the "get graffiti tags from internet pictures" function)

While we're at it, pretty much all the original Xbox and PS2 and GameCube DLC that existed is preserved, and absolutely all the Xbox 360 and PS3 and Wii stuff is (it was easier for them because most things went through the official stores). Similarly pirates have all the Xbox One/PS4/Wii U downloadable content/games on an ongoing basis.

Most, if not all, of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection DLC for the DS has similarly been saved, but it's inaccessible on original carts unless you have an Action Replay to disable SSL for you and some custom DNS settings on your DS.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
So, I need to replace my N64 power adapter. I've been looking online and mostly I just see the same very poorly reviewed 3rd party one. Anyone have any luck buying a replacement adapter? It almost seems worth while to buy a complete N64 just to get a new official one. I'm not seeing any sales of just the official adapter around so far.

Edit: On a second pass adding OEM to my search did show a fair number of supposedly official ones that aren't ridiculously priced.

DisposableHero fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 30, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

Nah, this was definitely a song from the 90s or earlier. I can't remember anything else beyond the woman. I want to say it was an R&B or urban soul song it really had that kind of styling.

Maybe I'll hear it one day walking around in a Sears or something but it's up there with Battle Against A Weak Opponent as "song that totally sounds like an early 90s pop song."

Although Enya's Anywhere Is is totally the map screen music in Yoshi's Island.

It's possible you are thinking about this because a different song in Earthbound always reminded me of it

https://youtu.be/HvQCxFZHMZ4

It would be incredible if I was right so let me know!

al-azad posted:

I remember asking about this two years ago but Wonder Boy's battle music has a very similar melody to something I've heard on the radio. All I can recall is the faint voice of a woman singing in some language other than English (or otherwise she was impossible to understand in English) to that exact melody. I thought it was Enigma or one of those late 80s/early 90s Pure Moods or New Age compilation discs. Just vocalize the melody in a feminine voice and I swear to god that was the song!

OK wait I just saw this. It's the same exact melody of the chorus to "You're All I Need" by Method Man and Mary J Blige! That has to be it!

https://youtu.be/XW1HNWqdVbk
Check at two minutes in. Lines up with the music you linked perfectly.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 30, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

It's possible you are thinking about this because a different song in Earthbound always reminded me of it

https://youtu.be/HvQCxFZHMZ4

It would be incredible if I was right so let me know!

OK wait I just saw this. It's the same exact melody of the chorus to "You're All I Need" by Method Man and Mary J Blige! That has to be it!

https://youtu.be/XW1HNWqdVbk
Check at two minutes in. Lines up with the music you linked perfectly.

Technotronic doesn't really sound familiar but AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH You're All I Need is totally it!

I'm just going to pretend in my head canon that Method Man is a fan of Wonder Boy.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Haha I'm so glad I figured it out. The only thing that made me iffy was that the singing part isn't difficult to understand but with her drawing out the words I can see that.

It's so funny because I figured it out within like three seconds of hearing your sample and I actually love that game but never heard the FM audio version where it's way more obvious.

Glad I could help you sleep at night!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
So how heat resistant are CIC chips or components in general on a board? I may have a pulled a krikzz move and used my wife's butane cooking torch to remove the chip off of a cart. It worked. It actually slid out of the board from its own weight or the push of the flame. Soldering iron and the desoldering wick just wasn't cutting it.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
So no one has any idea what I should do? I digged around on SegaAGE...no matches

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cliche Guevara posted:

So no one has any idea what I should do? I digged around on SegaAGE...no matches

Looking at the video, the button's messed up indeed and you'll have to open it up and see if anything's jamming the switch. Or replacing it. Never seen that specific problem with the buttons. It's usually the controllers port board that gets fried (BTW never insert/remove your controllers while your DC is on).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Haha I'm so glad I figured it out. The only thing that made me iffy was that the singing part isn't difficult to understand but with her drawing out the words I can see that.

It's so funny because I figured it out within like three seconds of hearing your sample and I actually love that game but never heard the FM audio version where it's way more obvious.

Glad I could help you sleep at night!

I never really followed music but everyone else in my family did religiously. Everything I know about music is absorbed through the radio or in the background on TV. I'll just start associating video game music with popular music, it all runs together and sounds the same in my head.

Like Abaddon's Bolero sounds like Kid Icarus and Fools in the Rain is the intro and battle music to Mario RPG and Karn Evil 9 Part 1 is like 5 different Final Fantasy boss themes and Part 2 is Final Fantasy 7's boss music. And I can't remember if I associated something with Mario 64's Bob-omb battlefield theme so if I made up lyrics to it but I definitely sing gibberish when I play that game.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

I never really followed music but everyone else in my family did religiously. Everything I know about music is absorbed through the radio or in the background on TV. I'll just start associating video game music with popular music, it all runs together and sounds the same in my head.

Like Abaddon's Bolero sounds like Kid Icarus and Fools in the Rain is the intro and battle music to Mario RPG and Karn Evil 9 Part 1 is like 5 different Final Fantasy boss themes and Part 2 is Final Fantasy 7's boss music. And I can't remember if I associated something with Mario 64's Bob-omb battlefield theme so if I made up lyrics to it but I definitely sing gibberish when I play that game.

I love stuff like this. Check out where the Dark Lich music from Secret of Mana was inspired from: https://youtu.be/aGXcnWUqV-Y

Starts at 49 seconds in.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
Don't forget the Super Mario Bros. 3 airship theme, which is basically "Mars, the Bringer of War."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmk5frp6-3Q

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Sometimes games sound like other games.

Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (1989)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBxrmB3Sdzw

Jim Power: The Lost Dimension (1993)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHOJBvDw0DM&t=13s

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who composed Turrican was familiar with Falcom's work.

Also the opening theme of Snatcher straight up mimics the bridge from Owner of a Lonely Heart.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Is there a story behind why Defender II/Stargate on the NES has the Punch-Out!! soundtrack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I've always thought Sodom in Final Fight was a cheap, ridiculous motherfucker. I can go the entire game up to him without using a credit, and he'll cost me a bunch of them thanks to that charge of his.

Decided to watch a longplay of Final Fight to see if there was some MLG pro tier strat for dealing with him, and, uh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm3OqLXBt2I&t=616s

That's interesting, apparently if you time the pickup right you can either cancel it into a grab, or it just triggers a grab, I'll have to try this.

• Locked thread