Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
hurry up and get skinny so i can make fun of something else about you piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

dookifex_maximus posted:

hurry up and get skinny so i can make fun of something else about you piece of poo poo

Does melting down burn calories?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

KVeezy3 posted:

The paper itself states it's making assumptions about a genetic link. For all we know, the link could be because the obese hormonal profile is passed on to the child during pregnancy and could have nothing to do with genetics.

that's heritability, regardless of genetics. what it means is that some individuals do not choose their metabolic settings, and some people with high BMI are in fact not responsible because they just can't stop eating fat foods.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

nomadologique posted:

that's heritability, regardless of genetics. what it means is that some individuals do not choose their metabolic settings, and some people with high BMI are in fact not responsible because they just can't stop eating fat foods.

Right, which meant that before the current obesity epidemic these people with this heritability managed to somehow not be giant blobs. Must be magic, just like the weird magic exclusion from thermodynamics that presumably exists to let these gentle, vegetable nibbling hambeasts keep gaining weight.

It's bullshit excuses that help enable current day fatties, but whatever, hope they enjoy wheezing around, losing their feet and eventually their life to being non-compliant blobs. Seems like a great time, and so much better than say, having to be hungry for an appreciable period of their days.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 29, 2016

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I guess now you have two types of fat jeans, op.

:drat:

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

nomadologique posted:

I don't even understand what your position is. My whole point was not to blame the individual and you called me a reductionist ideological dweeb, yet you agree obesity is a disease of capitalism and that metabolic profiles are important (Which are both directly hosed up by processed foods, not just a 0.2 inter-generational elasticity index).

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 30, 2016

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Suck my dick, you fat man

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Azuth0667 posted:

Can happen if your parents feed you the wrong things or too much as a kid too. You get adipocyte doubling then you'rehurting like that for the rest of your life.

what is adpiocyte doubling

serious question, i realize i'm lowercase posting in gbs, but this thread is the only hit in the entire internet for searching that term

Sonofsilversign posted:

nz has a 1/3 obesity rate so more or less equivalent to america i think? though we have alot of pacific islanders who legitimately do tend to be genetically fat so id generally give them a pass

pacific islanders are not genetically fat. we are genetically broad as barns, but that's all on bone structure and the most small-framed femboi twink hawaiian guy i know is as wide across as a fairly built white dude just from how his shoulders are shaped. obesity is pretty much 100% lifestyle-oriented in our population, tfw u sit on your veranda and pound heinekens all day.

alternatively, there's a lot of cultural pressure to eat way more than you should. seriously if you aren't stuffing yourself, a lot of hawaiians feel like maybe we did something wrong either to you personally or didn't put enough effort into getting everyone's favorite foods. i guess it was okay, historically speaking, when your spread at a social gathering consisted mostly of water, non-pastoral agrarian products including a particularly disgusting tuber, and then also once in a while fish and pork. not so okay when your menu includes coca cola, sweet tea, macaroni salad, orange chicken, fried rice, fried steak, and someone prob bought like fifty boxes of mcdonalds fries and dumped em in a fuckin pan. when not taking thirds or fourths is socially unacceptable, well. the people who are born into or later choose not to remove themselves from social circles where that pressure is there are doomed :shrug:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 30, 2016

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

The White Dragon posted:

serious question, i realize i'm lowercase posting in gbs, but this thread is the only hit in the entire internet for searching that term

i think that posters fat fingers hit too many keys at once and u end up with nonsense words

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Maybe its just that being lazy and wanting to eat too much food is genetic. It's not like fat just accumulates on your body in some mysterious way.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

dookifex_maximus posted:

https://gordonlab.wustl.edu/supplemental/turnbaugh/obob/

To demonstrate cause and effect, Gordon and his colleagues conducted an elegant series of experiments with so-called humanized mice, published last September in Science. The mice ate the same diet in equal amounts, yet the animals that received bacteria from an obese twin grew heavier and had more body fat than mice with microbes from a thin twin.

identical diet and exercise does not always give identical results

Gut microbes are strongly affected by diet.

The White Dragon posted:

It's from the idea that fat cells can grow bigger and multiply but they are never removed and only shrink when losing weight. But this might just be an incorrect interpretation based on overall cell turnover.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18454136

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
no one in my family is fat :)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
we always knew you were adopted

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

Hypothyroid, defective leptin signaling, way too much ghrelin. All genetic things that make you fat and should be a basic test your doc does while having the weight chat.

Do this.

Also be aware the microbiota in your gut plays a role.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27511459

The effect of microbiota in the gut and elsewhere on human disease is a developing (and very interesting field).

http://www.openbiome.org/press-releases/2015/10/28/fecal-transplant-pills-large-scale-production-begins-following-successful-dosing-study

http://www.openbiome.org/fmtcapsules

None of these are any excuse to eat too much, eat poo poo or not exercise however. It is a lot more complicated for some people than just an energy equation is my point.

Still best post in the thread.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 30, 2016

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
If there is a major civil disaster. flood, plague, earthquake etc. Ill be turning to cannibalism before the suns down.

Fair warning.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

nomadologique posted:

i don't disagree that "obesity is a disease of capitalism," (that's pretty obvious from the evidence as well, considering that obesity only appeared/appears in the context of modern western society) but you could try harder to know what you're actually saying instead of being an ideological dweeb.

you admitted that we nailed a fair half sentence summary of the majority of the problem, scolded us for it, then in your BETTER MORE IN DEPTH summary you left out enzymes and gut bacteria and some guy who isn't as scientist as you posted it two seconds later

just admit hating capitalism hits 90 percent of the problem, for the other 10 percent i will concede genetics/diseases/ur 2 unique 4 science 2 understand sums it all up

edit

also even most enzyme problems are related to being wiped out by antibiotics, an over-used quick fix of america's broken drug business

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
That one pic that has a blonde guy that gives an overweight woman a look of "are you loving serious" is popular in the forums. Same video, different people involved, but there can be a cultural inclination to be plumper. Like you can show off you can afford it you know? Obesity and fat are very different. But I think fat is ok. And I can appreciate not everyone loves thin

If my gut flora is affected by diet but changes on what I eat how do I get thin thinking gut flora.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

504 posted:

If there is a major civil disaster. flood, plague, earthquake etc. Ill be turning to cannibalism before the suns down.

Fair warning.

Lol you're gonna get fat after you inherit the fat epigenetic hormonal whatevers from eating fat people after the Apocalypse.

DenizenKane
Nov 6, 2013

Please. Go on.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Blitter posted:

Right, which meant that before the current obesity epidemic these people with this heritability managed to somehow not be giant blobs. Must be magic, just like the weird magic exclusion from thermodynamics that presumably exists to let these gentle, vegetable nibbling hambeasts keep gaining weight.

It's bullshit excuses that help enable current day fatties, but whatever, hope they enjoy wheezing around, losing their feet and eventually their life to being non-compliant blobs. Seems like a great time, and so much better than say, having to be hungry for an appreciable period of their days.

This is scoring way to high on the autism scale. Dial it back man.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Obese people would be incredibly bad to eat. Like, the meat would suck real bad.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Pvt.Scott posted:

Obese people would be incredibly bad to eat. Like, the meat would suck real bad.

You'd have lamp oil for a months.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

The White Dragon posted:

The jist of it is kids eat a bunch of high calorie stuff, far more than they normally should, which stimulates adipogenesis (fat cells dividing) which then gives them a larger adipocyte population than they should have which fucks up all of their appetite signaling which leads to more eating and more adipogenesis. End result is an additional population of fat cells the kids can't get rid of that fucks up their appetite signaling for the rest of their lives.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

The jist of it is kids eat a bunch of high calorie stuff, far more than they normally should, which stimulates adipogenesis (fat cells dividing) which then gives them a larger adipocyte population than they should have which fucks up all of their appetite signaling which leads to more eating and more adipogenesis. End result is an additional population of fat cells the kids can't get rid of that fucks up their appetite signaling for the rest of their lives.

That sounds roughly right for me, I guess, maybe? My diet was pretty lovely when I was young and my mom kept candy and soda in the house at all times, kind of a holdover from poo poo her mom did. At some point she started cooking and shopping healthy, but I was probably 14 by then. I'll ask the doc about it next time I'm in, for shits and giggles. Doesn't really change anything for me right now, though.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

That sounds roughly right for me, I guess, maybe? My diet was pretty lovely when I was young and my mom kept candy and soda in the house at all times, kind of a holdover from poo poo her mom did. At some point she started cooking and shopping healthy, but I was probably 14 by then. I'll ask the doc about it next time I'm in, for shits and giggles. Doesn't really change anything for me right now, though.

There's a bunch of literature suggesting high fructose corn syrup plays a big part in this too.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

That one pic that has a blonde guy that gives an overweight woman a look of "are you loving serious" is popular in the forums. Same video, different people involved, but there can be a cultural inclination to be plumper. Like you can show off you can afford it you know? Obesity and fat are very different. But I think fat is ok. And I can appreciate not everyone loves thin

Obesity being a disease of the rich was before the proliferation of cheap, convenient processed foods. Now poor people are overworked, stressed, and reach for cheap convenient foods as a salve for their unsatisfying lives. It's cute to think that everybody's opinion matters on what is an OK weight, but then there's science that says it's a metabolic disaster to be overweight. That's without including the visceral reaction we all have to flabby chins and stomachs.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

If my gut flora is affected by diet but changes on what I eat how do I get thin thinking gut flora.

It takes time. Processed food wrecks your gut flora.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...tudy-finds.html

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 30, 2016

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

KVeezy3 posted:

Obesity being a disease of the rich was before the proliferation of cheap, convenient processed foods. Now poor people are overworked, stressed, and reach for cheap convenient foods as a salve for their unsatisfying lives. It's cute to think that everybody's opinion matters on what is an OK weight, but then there's science that says it's a metabolic disaster to be overweight. That's without including the visceral reaction we all have to flabby chins and stomachs.

It takes time. Processed food wrecks your gut flora.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...tudy-finds.html

Science also says fat shaming doesn't work but, look at 99% of the self-hating fat goons in this thread :c00lbutt:

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Lol you're gonna get fat after you inherit the fat epigenetic hormonal whatevers from eating fat people after the Apocalypse.

Yeah, but then I can honestly claim its genetic and become a large Jabba the Hutt type entity

"OH DOOKE SETA ET BURGER KING HOHOHO!"

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Azuth0667 posted:

Science also says fat shaming doesn't work but, look at 99% of the self-hating fat goons in this thread :c00lbutt:

Yeah fatshaming may not work if you're trying to get people to lose weight, but if you're just trying to get them to hate themselves it seems to do ok.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Yeah fatshaming may not work if you're trying to get people to lose weight, but if you're just trying to get them to hate themselves it seems to do ok.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah, fat shaming never did anything but exacerbate my depression and self-loathing. I already wanted to not be fat, so it wasn't any kind of extra motivation. It actually had the opposite effect of making me not want to try or put in the effort. I'm glad I don't hate myself any longer.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah, fat shaming never did anything but exacerbate my depression and self-loathing. I already wanted to not be fat, so it wasn't any kind of extra motivation. It actually had the opposite effect of making me not want to try or put in the effort. I'm glad I don't hate myself any longer.

gbs will pick up where you left off

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
Fat people not good

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
In spite of what many in denial food addicts would have you believe, shame can be a powerful motivator.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Poetic Justice posted:

In spite of what many in denial food addicts would have you believe, shame can be a powerful motivator.

i was always underweight growing up but yeah i can't possibly imagine i would've joined my first gym at 18 if the absolute only benefits were for health and strength

if you took out all vain and selfish goals, ivan drago, frank zane, gettin' my first blowjob and going 'how do i ensure i never run out of those', i really can't picture working out as heavily as i did, or caring about diet beyond the minimum to avoid death or discomfort

it might be the finest line ever though when trying to measure 'how mean should the world be to people to make them help themselves rather than kill themselves'

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Poetic Justice posted:

This is true. I lost a 130lbs when a girl dumped me for getting to heavy. That was shameful as gently caress. 40 more lbs to go. Goddamn I was a fat gently caress.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Social ostracism isn't powerful enough to combat obesity. At some point, we need to consider what that means for the world.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

This guys book is really good btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

so let's say it is genetic. then instead of having a weak mind you have poor genes. it's a horse a piece really.

• Locked thread