Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

Did Terry Nation make it compulsory to have the word Dalek in the title of any episode they were in? Frontier in Space is the only one I can think of that doesn't have it in there.

In the words of Bad Math Dalek, "Ummmm, ummm...."

I hereby sentence you to GIFs from The Chase!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CobiWann posted:

On a whole though I've enjoyed Big Finish's run and wouldn't mind a third series down the road.

Agreed. I have Moving Target queued up and fully intend to buy the last two stories of series 2, plus outbreak. The Big Finish stuff is second only to Children of Earth as far as Good Torchwood goes for me.

I do need to go back and listen to that first series story with Yvonne Hartman...something about revisiting that character completely turned me off before I even tried to listen to it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

She's a time-travelling archaeologist, but probably not the one you were expecting.

The recent Twelve novel with Benny has her literally do this introduction. Would've been cooler if it wasn't blatantly obvious she wasn't River, even to people only familiar with the TV show.

I like Benny more than most and I'd still say the first of the Seventh Doctor team-up boxsets is probably your best bet. But then again, I think the last story in that set is one of the best Who tales BF have done (that I've heard).

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The chase is so loving dumb. I love it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Attitude Indicator posted:

The chase is so loving dumb. I love it.

I endorse two thirds of this post

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

jivjov posted:

So what's the best way to get into Summerfield stuff? I took a gander at the BF website and it looks like all the old single releases are CD only, and I prefer to stick exclusively to downloads.

It's kind of awkward to recommend a good starting place with her solo stuff.
Her really early stuff, I mean, really early as in the very first thing Big Finish ever did, sorta thing...it's pretty rough. It does feature Nicholas Courtney as Puss-in-Boots, so it has its moments.

There's also a big problem with early BF using the series as an experiment for their novels, which are stupidly expensive, hard to obtain, mostly garbage, and leaves you with the feeling that you're not always getting the full story just listening to the audios. At one point, Benny becomes pregnant, the events of which are explained in a book, then she suddenly ends up with the baby, skipping over the birth, which happened in a book, and so-on.

The worst example, which I've brought up before, was the Daleks invade the collection where Benny lives. The previous audio story has zero indication of this, and the intro has specifically recorded dialogue from the book (which covered the invasion). If you've just been listening to the audios, it's like you've missed an entire story.

They drop the novels about halfway into her range, and the audios stabilize a bit in quality...there's some really good ones, but too often the stories delve into weird, hard-to-follow metafiction, and have vast tonal inconsistancies. Benny herself would be insufferable, if not for Lisa Bowerman's consistantly great performance - she's certainly adds some charm to the character.
As other posters have said, your best bet is try her New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield, and Triumph of Sutekh.

If you really do want to try something that doesn't really require much backstory try, The Adventure of the Diogenes Damsel (with Mycroft David Warner!).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 25, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Bernice Summerfield was created by Paul Cornell back in 1992 and don't you forget it :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gaz-L posted:

The recent Twelve novel with Benny has her literally do this introduction.

I know. :ssh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I've now listened to the first two of the Early Adventures line (Domain of the Voord and The Doctor's Tale), and wanted to present a teeny mini review. Domain of the Voord didn't endear itself to me very well...I don't know if I just needed to have watched the original Voord episode or what, but I wasn't really engaging with the characters beyond the TARDIS team. Plus the writing seemed really awkward. Not so much the plot or dialog...but the fusion of partial narration and partial full acting just seemed really awkward and clunky.

I originally assumed that clunkiness was just going to be an inherent part of the Early Adventures line, but thankfully that was not the case. The Doctor's Tale was utterly fantastic. It is what has become a rarity in Doctor Who, a pure historical. No aliens, monsters, or temporal shenanigans....just the Doctor, Ian, Barbara, and Vicki in the year 1400. The soundtrack was a bit cheesy Ye Olde Ren Faire...but I absolutely loved it because I have a huge soft spot for that sort of music. And, as mentioned, the narrated bits flowed perfectly well. Hopefully the issues I had with Domain were a one-off.

(Incidentally, I learned from the Behind the Scenes features that Maureen O'Brien is a big fan of the Chumblies!)

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 25, 2016

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'm having trouble getting through the new UNIT boxset. It's just not engaging me. Alien space ninjas? Really?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

I'm having trouble getting through the new UNIT boxset. It's just not engaging me. Alien space ninjas? Really?

There's a really unsettling undercurrent of "THE MYSTERIOUS ORIENT!" that feels like something out of the 1970s - well-intentioned but ultimately just pretty loving racist.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Bernice Summerfield was created by Paul Cornell back in 1992 and don't you forget it :colbert:

That's right, and the only way for a REAL fan to get into Bennie is to hit Ebay and buy some NAs! :bahgawd:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

There's a really unsettling undercurrent of "THE MYSTERIOUS ORIENT!" that feels like something out of the 1970s - well-intentioned but ultimately just pretty loving racist.

What's really sad is that the Third Doctor did a story with communist China and all that entails without being racist as gently caress.

And then Talons happened.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Pish. So many people with wrong Bernice Summerfield opinions in this thread.

No, but seriously, there are some weak seasons here and there -- the second series of radio plays suffers from some terrible sound design that shits all over at least one quite good script; the later Legion seasons are too convoluted for their own good -- but I stand by there being at least one quite good story in every series, and some series with a higher batting average than Big Finish have frequently managed in their main range plays.

I also want to go into bat for the books. Bernice started as a literary character, and I think it's only fair that Big Finish kept to her roots when developing their range. Yes, two of the early books are trash, but the two Jaqueline Rayner books are quite good, and the one that was written by Paul Cornell (with contributions by Steven Moffat) is excellent. If you're only following the radio plays, the jumps in continuity can be frustrating, but I think it's important to remember that the radio plays weren't considered her primary medium in those days. She was still a book character, first and foremost.

It's only in Series 3 that this starts to shift, and the Series 4 finale can be seen as a more formal handover between the mediums. The first half, Life During Wartime, is an anthology novel, that ends on a cliffhanger that's resolved in the radio play Death And The Daleks, though it's honestly pretty clear what's happening in the latter if you're just listening to the radio play by itself. I think the diptych is probably one of the strongest things that Big Finish have produced, and has contributions by heavyweights like Kate Orman, Robert Shearman, Jonathan Blum, Jim Mortimore, and future range editor Simon Guerrier.

Later series still have the books playing an important role, though they're probably secondary, and the radio plays become the main range. They peter out around Series 11, though they still have contributions by some excellent authors, like Phillip Purser-Hallard, Kelly Hale, Eddie Robson, Mags L. Halliday, Jonathan Clements, Kate Orman, Jonathan Blum, Ben Aaronovitch and Marc Platt. This, not coincidentally, happened around the same time the series attempted something of a soft reboot, and was much the worse for it. The range during this time is frequently terrible, and nearly resulted in the cancellation of the the series entirely thanks to a number of poor choices. I think there are a few good stories here and there, but for the most part they're a bit drap. And of the four books released during this time, at least two are loving terrible. I've not had the heart to read any more.

In terms of jumping off points, though, you're best off starting with the three most recent box-sets, though you can straight up start with the Unbound box set if you want to. They're all designed to be more accessible. None of them, except maybe the most recent Unbound set, are particularly Doctor heavy. They're still firmly about Bernice, so don't expect anything too much like a main range release with these. Additionally, as a word of warning, the second box set contains a number of serious spoilers for earlier Benny series. So be prepared for that if you're planning on getting into the series at a later date. (Which is well worth it, IMO).

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

So I've now listened to the first two of the Early Adventures line

Speaking of which, the first series of this line is Big Finish's continued assault on my purse weekend deal. $6 download/$7.50 cd each or in a bundle for $20.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

Speaking of which, the first series of this line is Big Finish's continued assault on my purse weekend deal. $6 download/$7.50 cd each or in a bundle for $20.

Well, I guess that's the excuse I needed to pick up the 4th one!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The fact that that's an edit of a Steam edit makes it even better

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Listened to the 4th Doctor Adventure Wave of Destruction while waiting for my shift to start today. Kind of a wet fart of an episode. There were some amusing lines from Tom and Lalla speckled throughout, but overall it just left me a bit cold.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

I'm going to be good for once. I swear!

Besides, it's only the First Doctor... who did he ever beat?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Burkion posted:

What's really sad is that the Third Doctor did a story with communist China and all that entails without being racist as gently caress.

Which one is this?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

There was a brief Zygon sale on recently and I got Zygon Hunt out of it, and I decided to get some stories that weren't on sale: The Yes Men, ...Ish and Loups-Garoux.

Zygon Hunt and The Yes Men are both pretty average but fairly enjoyable. Tom Baker is great as always and Frazer Hines does a pretty good Troughton impression but I can't say I like the narration very much.

Loups-Garoux was better but had a pretty horrendous American accent from one character. Can't say I've liked Davison's audios a great deal in general.

I'm most of the way through ...Ish and so far it's on par with the best of Big Finish. A great cast, a fascinating villain and a really weird and interesting high concept story. Great all round.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Which one is this?

The Mind of Evil.

The rep was even a woman for added bonus points that get tarnished later.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
It's a shame the early Benny stuff is CD only because it went downhill right as they made downloads available. Honestly you could probably start from the latest one or the first New Adventures one, they don't really reference much from the past despite being very much about Benny.

For those who are willing to get CDs there are a few from that first series which are really underrated and really worth the amount that they charge for them - Oh No It Isn't is silly but since it's basically a Pantomime then it really has to be, it uses the Grel well plus it has Nicholas Courtney playing a talking cat; I really liked Just War a lot; it's basically a story set during the Nazi occupation of the channel Islands, it does need the two before it to explain a few things though. Luckily those are also OK, the one with Liz Sladen is good and the one after that with Colin Baker is OK, although he does an awful Russian accent. The other two are a load of balls that you can skip without much worry. Later ones cost a bit more and you can miss bits without the expensive books but you can get the general gist, and from what I've heard so far it's generally pretty good until the reboot.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

cargohills posted:

There was a brief Zygon sale on recently and I got Zygon Hunt out of it, and I decided to get some stories that weren't on sale: The Yes Men, ...Ish and Loups-Garoux.

Zygon Hunt and The Yes Men are both pretty average but fairly enjoyable. Tom Baker is great as always and Frazer Hines does a pretty good Troughton impression but I can't say I like the narration very much.

Loups-Garoux was better but had a pretty horrendous American accent from one character. Can't say I've liked Davison's audios a great deal in general.

I'm most of the way through ...Ish and so far it's on par with the best of Big Finish. A great cast, a fascinating villain and a really weird and interesting high concept story. Great all round.

...Ish is pretty great. It's also some of the best voice work I think Briggs has done.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just went through Torchwood: Moving Target.

All I'll say is that it ended exactly how I expected it to.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

CobiWann posted:

Mind he doesn't hear you talking about him like that, or you'll be in for a jolly good smacked bottom!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

CobiWann posted:

I'll let Mr Capaldi field this one

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

jivjov posted:

The Unbound Universe Bernice Summerfield thing came out today.

Heard it today, it's pretty good, got more of a Benny range story than any Doctor Who range story, but that's not a bad thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Do the Jago and Litefoot stories go on sale often? I just wrapped up their two travels with the 6th Doctor and kinda want to check out their solo things...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jivjov posted:

Do the Jago and Litefoot stories go on sale often? I just wrapped up their two travels with the 6th Doctor and kinda want to check out their solo things...

They had one back in May. Obviously expired now, but this might give you a hint of what kind of savings to expect if they do another:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/jago-litefoot-corking-offers-from-the-worlds-of-doctor-who

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

They had one back in May. Obviously expired now, but this might give you a hint of what kind of savings to expect if they do another:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/jago-litefoot-corking-offers-from-the-worlds-of-doctor-who

Cool, so the first box set isn't likely to go much lower, but that's a decent price for 4 stories.

Is there some easy way to search through the BF news archives that I'm missing? Going back to those old sale announcements seems really handy

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jivjov posted:

Cool, so the first box set isn't likely to go much lower, but that's a decent price for 4 stories.

Is there some easy way to search through the BF news archives that I'm missing? Going back to those old sale announcements seems really handy

I just brought up the recent news story about the release of the series 12 trailer, and clicked on the Jago & Litefoot link under "categories". It brought up all the news items in which J&L had been mentioned. Try clicking on the "Big Finish Bargins" in the same news item.

Or just following this link since I did it for you!:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/range/special-offers

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

I just brought up the recent news story about the release of the series 12 trailer, and clicked on the Jago & Litefoot link under "categories". It brought up all the news items in which J&L had been mentioned. Try clicking on the "Big Finish Bargins" in the same news item.

Or just following this link since I did it for you!:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/range/special-offers

That is a very dangerous link to give me. Bookmarked for future poverty use. Many thanks

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Get your Big Finish before prices go up!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/august-prices-going-up

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Funny, that. I just grabbed the second UNIT box because I figured the pre-order price would be going away soon. I love this strange power I have to predict Big Finish price changes.

Incidentally, if anyone is worried about the raising pre-order price on River Song Box 2, the $60 bundle of Churchill/River/Classic-New 2 isn't changing. So if you're like me and want all three of those releases, you're good to wait.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:siren: Good News Everyone!

Power of the Daleks might be coming to DVD! In animated form.

https://whopix.wordpress.com/2016/08/22/power-of-the-daleks-animated/

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

The animation on the releases for other missing episodes was kinda naff but I still prefer it over the telesnap recons so I'd probably buy this if it's real. Though I suppose those releases were just filling in the gaps and still had the existing episodes while this would be the whole story so it might be a bit of naff animation overload.

Maybe I'll stick with my narrated soundtrack :shrug:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
There is something else that that could mean but I'm not going to get too excited about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Awesome! This'll be the best Christmas Walford's ever seen!

• Locked thread