Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
All this talk about admirals and no body mentions Grandpa?

I like an underdog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

DiHK posted:

All this talk about admirals and no body mentions Grandpa?

I like an underdog.

His movie was OK. Too much boring political poo poo in the middle but he seems to have been good at puffing out his chest while english ships blew up all around him.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Alchenar posted:

Rommel was told in no uncertain terms that the logistical capacity available to him could not support a drive on Suez and his reaction was 'eh, work something out'. He advances until he can't advance any more, then gets stuck in a position where his mobile units are no longer mobile because he can't get enough fuel forwards to them. As he was told would happen. The Battle of El Alamein goes the way it does and couldn't go any other way because Rommel gave up all of his operational options to dig into a fixed position which Montgomery takes apart at will.

Lets cover that again: Rommel, the general known for being good at blitzkrieg and manoeuvre warfare, chose to fight the most decisive battle of his career from a static position. A choice that played to all of the advantages of his opponent. And he got crushed.

The initial afrikakorps offensives went so well because the Brits were on low alert, having gotten intelligence intercepts that gave Rommel clear orders to remain in a defensive posture until May "at the earliest".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

that entire incident is loving sleaze as hell

Oh without a doubt it's sleazy as poo poo even by those standards.

It just doesn't make him a pedophile is my point, it makes him the first in a long line of dumbass USN personnel to bang a hooker who turns out to be waaaaaay too young.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Oh without a doubt it's sleazy as poo poo even by those standards.

It just doesn't make him a pedophile is my point, it makes him the first in a long line of dumbass USN personnel to bang a hooker who turns out to be waaaaaay too young.
:yikes:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I meant that if I was writing a brief biography I wouldn't use the phrase "naval officer and pedophile".

He's no James Henry Hammond.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 30, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm desperately trying to think of a synonym for sex pest which rhymes with "gentleman" but I'm drawing a blank.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OwlFancier posted:

I'm desperately trying to think of a synonym for sex pest which rhymes with "gentleman" but I'm drawing a blank.

Nah, "gentleman" covers it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I meant that if I was writing a brief biography I wouldn't use the phrase "naval officer and pedophile".

He's no James Hammond.

"Naval officer and ephebophile"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
M'navy

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Jones was accused of raping a little girl, but in his defense, his friend and he himself said the girl was 12 and not 9 years old (or, speculatively, possibly 14 and looking young for her age?) and totally asking for it. Besides, he paid the girl money and could tell the girl was not a virgin so she's a whore. So not a pedophile, no siree.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

:drat:

Fangz posted:

Jones was accused of raping a little girl, but in his defense, his friend and he himself said the girl was 12 and not 9 years old (or, speculatively, possibly 14 and looking young for her age?) and totally asking for it. Besides, he paid the girl money and could tell the girl was not a virgin so she's a whore. So not a pedophile, no siree.

In no way shape or form am I defending his actions. Don't gently caress tweens, m'kay?

That rather emphatically said, there is a very important difference between someone who molests a kid and a pedophile. The distinction matters, as it's a real issue in contemporary policy regarding how you cut down on recidivism and try to rehabilitate sex offenders. Blanket stating that everyone who molested a kid has a deep seated sexual preference for adolescents creates an atmosphere where the idea that you can reintroduce them to society goes right out the window. Do those people exist? Yes, but they are not the majority. Most of the time it's a crime of convenience that boils down to a mix and match of horny, bored, "she looks older than she is," drunk/high, race-based over-appraisal of the victim's sexual maturity, social/peer dynamics, and access to the victim. The guy who hangs out at parks and arcades or grooms 12 year old as a Boy Scout leader are the headline grabbing ones that are every parent's nightmare, but it's usually a lot more mundane than that. This is especially true when the victims aren't pre-pubescent.

Was JPJ a fucker who took advantage of a kid? Yeah. Were his actions unseemly even by the standards of the 18th century and certainly abhorrent by todays? Yep. Still, flat out saying that he's a pedophile is a bit much.

edit: to put this a bit into context, the recidivism rate for non-violent (i.e not rape) child molesters is something like 10-25% depending on whose statistics you're using. If it is a core part of their sexual identity (i.e. pedophilia) than you would expect that to be a LOT higher.

Again, emphasizing because of the issue: the actions are abhorrent and they gently caress up the victims in some horrible ways. It's still something that you can't just blanket say that everyone who did it once is in the same bucket as the guy who isn't interested in anyone but 10 year old sexually.

edit x2: So, how about that Panther tank? Kind of a piece of poo poo, right?

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 30, 2016

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Cyrano4747 posted:

Tank Destroyers, what's up with that?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

So as I was saying about Wallenstein...

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Tank Destroyers, what's up with that?

i have an interesting fact that i can't bear not to share

edit: As punishment for my sins my browser crashed immediately after I posted that :v:

spectralent fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 30, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
...and that was when he fell out the window

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cyrano4747 posted:

Worse than the covenanter.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Cyrano4747 posted:

(watch that movie, it's amazing in its ridiculousness)

the movie is on netflix & owns

also since someone mentioned Admiral Togo earlier it bears mentioning:

quote:

Admiral Togo regarded Admiral Yi as his superior. At a party held in his honor, Togo took exception to a speech comparing him to Lord Nelson and Yi Sun-sin.

"It may be proper to compare me with Nelson, but not with Korea’s Yi Sun-sin, for he has no equal." (The Imjin War, by Samuel Hawley, pg. 490)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Koramei posted:

also since someone mentioned Admiral Togo earlier it bears mentioning:
guess we found the greatest admiral of all time, everyone

(that quote kicks rear end)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Worse than the covenanter.

cruiser mark four never penetrated in combat

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Hogge Wild posted:

always post a pic

Also look at his dates of birth / death...

December 21, 1896 – August 3, 1968

You literally cannot think of any worse period to be an officer in the Russian / Soviet military. Just the fact that he survived to 1968 is an achievement in itself.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Also look at his dates of birth / death...

December 21, 1896 – August 3, 1968

You literally cannot think of any worse period to be an officer in the Russian / Soviet military. Just the fact that he survived to 1968 is an achievement in itself.

Dude's life was an achievement whoring run in the grand game of Soviet military membership. Even managed to grab the one for being Polish.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bewbies posted:

Re. the Italian navy in the Mediterranean: I've always felt like they should have absolutely owned that poo poo had they put their minds to it and that would have put a lot of other big operations in question. Also it was a great theater for big gun battleship slugfests and they kind of robbed us of that which I'm a little bit bitter about.

Campioni and Iachino were cowards, Cavagnari was an idiot, and Italian (and German) land based air should have made up for deficiencies in carriers.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

HEY GAL posted:

that entire incident is loving sleaze as hell

Early_Modern_Period.txt

So I've got a question for anyone who cares to answer: why did the scramble for Africa go so well for the European powers? I have my own opinions which I'll share when I'm not on my phone, but I'm interested to know what the rest of you think.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

quote:

Whatever happens, we have got

The Maxim gun, and they have not.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Campioni and Iachino were cowards, Cavagnari was an idiot, and Italian (and German) land based air should have made up for deficiencies in carriers.

Not to mention the one time they tried a battleship on battleship fight they got their poo poo kicked in. (Admittedly by the FAA not the actual guns of the battleships).

Polyakov fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 30, 2016

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Early_Modern_Period.txt

So I've got a question for anyone who cares to answer: why did the scramble for Africa go so well for the European powers? I have my own opinions which I'll share when I'm not on my phone, but I'm interested to know what the rest of you think.

there was certainly fighting at times. but the real method of gaining control of africa, at least in my undergrad understanding of the topic, was accomplished through soft power. utilizing existing power structures(chiefs/kings/headmen), playing ethnic groups against each other and trade/currency.

for example: rhodesia. the british south africa company(not british govt), got permission from a king, lobengula, to prospect and conduct general development activities(build railroads, telegraphs, etc). lobengula's advisors weren't fans of the idea for obvious reason. there was another weaker ethnic group(shona) that had been subject to frequent raids from lobengula's group(ndebele). the british sought to end this behavior and protect* the weaker ethnic group. this, amongst some other things, started the first mashonaland war where lobengula was killed and his army decimated by british firepower. with that, the british were able to implement hut taxes and compel both groups to labor for them lest their cattle be confiscated or they be evicted from their homes. this sparked a second war that started out well for the ndebele and the shona(who had joined forces), but was suppressed. again, the hut tax was used but this time to forcibly resettle the ndebele and shona and confiscate their herds once the bsac determined not much gold was present and the colony would be based on white agriculture.

there is a lot more nuance to this but i don't have any of my books and i took the classes close to a decade ago.

*you could probably very easily make the argument that the desire to protect the shona was a self motivated land and power grab.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Early_Modern_Period.txt

Boats, guns, trade, preexisting toeholds in Africa, medicine, long histories of empire formation, school and university system that had been cranking out young men raised to be imperial administrators for about 150 years already.

For all that weapons helped, I think the thread has shown a hundred times over that the most powerful weapon in any conflict is just organisation. The High Imperial period sees Britain and France adept at all the techniques of Empire formation - from practical to military to psychological, because they've already got a huge and practiced imperial bureaucracy, a system in place for transitioning nations from free to subjugated under european rule, and in Britain's case at least, an education system that is cranking out men by the thousand who are that blend of businessman, white supremacist and adventurer that could and did carry out bizarre projects like the South Africa Company borne up on nothing more substantial than old fashioned racism and pride in their college.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

lenoon posted:

Boats, guns, trade, preexisting toeholds in Africa, medicine, long histories of empire formation, school and university system that had been cranking out young men raised to be imperial administrators for about 150 years already.

For all that weapons helped, I think the thread has shown a hundred times over that the most powerful weapon in any conflict is just organisation. The High Imperial period sees Britain and France adept at all the techniques of Empire formation - from practical to military to psychological, because they've already got a huge and practiced imperial bureaucracy, a system in place for transitioning nations from free to subjugated under european rule, and in Britain's case at least, an education system that is cranking out men by the thousand who are that blend of businessman, white supremacist and adventurer that could and did carry out bizarre projects like the South Africa Company borne up on nothing more substantial than old fashioned racism and pride in their college.

There is also political willingness on the part of some (more conservative than liberal) to acquire African colonies despite not being particularly profitable for Britain.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Cyrano4747 posted:

Really this thread skews way to hard on the Axis powers being stupid. They weren't the unstoppable evil geniuses of post war myth and wheraboo fantasy but they also weren't the loving keystone cops.

Sure, but a lot of people are laying all of North Africa at his feet. Saying he was over aggressive is one thing, saying he was an idiot deluded by the myth of the Germanic will to triumph because he went to Africa in the first place is something else.

I agree with you, I don't think Rommel was stupid. I think he just decided that given the hand he was dealt that going on the offensive while not the safest option was the only one that gave him even a slim margin of victory. It backfired, but I can see why especially after initial successes he thought he might actually pull off winning the Africa Campaign.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

How did someone as exacting as Wallenstein react when small things went awry on the battlefield? Did he berate commanders who showed unexpected initiative?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hogge Wild posted:

haha, drat ninja

What's laddering?

Wait, were ninjas actually deployed in the Russo-Japanese war? If so, where can we read about it? :dance:

HEY GAL posted:

i mean, the reason GA doesn't go on my Dream Team is that i'm not sure he knew how to do anything but a frontal assault, although he did do good things with it.

what's swedish for "elan"

"kukhjerta"

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Polyakov posted:

Nazi agriculture

Were the big estates in Prussia better mechanized?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
There's only one quote about Rommel that matters

Sepp Dietrich on Rommel posted:

What did he know of war?....All he could do was stand on a tank, baton in hand and shout "I am the king of Africa".

Also nice posts Polyakov. If anyone has spare time Adam Tooze (of Wages of Destruction fame) has done a three part lecture series, one of which covers German agricultural policy between the wars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11p6VNP96NE

The other two are here, on the Treaties of Brest Litovsk and Versailles, and on the failure of the global financial system between the wars. All three are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDlRKl3XGoM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Alx_JDpQio

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Oh god. Lindybeige has a new video. It's called..."Cavalry Was a Stupid Idea".

I...I can't even bring myself to look at it. I'm dumber just from reading the title.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arbite posted:

How did someone as exacting as Wallenstein react when small things went awry on the battlefield? Did he berate commanders who showed unexpected initiative?
no. you're supposed to. a single dude--who may or may not be fighting at the head of his own troops, or the cav, or the right wing--can't control everything. only terrible Obersts show no initiative on their own.

edit: interestingly enough, some historians have criticized him for not giving the dudes just under him enough direction, not in fights but on campaigns. The response to that is that everyone expects a general to tool around Germany more or less like a fleet of ships and why would you micromanage them? The other response is that he knew how to pick them and nobody needed to tell Pappenheim, etc. how to war. Nevertheless, especially between Luetzen and his death, there were periods when he just went off the radar and your opinion as to why will vary.

edit 2: this sort of thing didn't prevent him from telling the guy ordering shoes for him to tie them together by the laces so each pair would keep together, though. Priorities.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 30, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

I...I can't even bring myself to look at it. I'm dumber just from reading the title.

if pikes are a bad idea, and cav is a bad idea, how do people fight

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

if pikes are a bad idea, and cav is a bad idea, how do people fight

Presumably All Guns, All The Time

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

MikeCrotch posted:

I think I fell asleep while watching that and woke up to needing to use the toilet. That is my Lindybeige experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tias posted:

Wait, were ninjas actually deployed in the Russo-Japanese war? If so, where can we read about it? :dance:

the poster i quoted was the ninja for posting about the admiral just before i clicked submit

Tias posted:

"kukhjerta"

lol