Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Speaking about the Burkini, this is Morocco's opinion:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Do people actually believe this?

E.g.

[quote]From 1995 until the end of the Olympic Games in 2004, Greece enjoyed a decade of exceptional growth and prosperity.

More than half a million Greeks, mostly women, found jobs during these “golden years” of the Greek economy. Capital flows from capital-saving countries to Greece, where profitability was higher, fueled GDP growth, investment, and employment.

But in contrast to this good performance (and to some extent because of it), the trade deficit of goods and services increased dramatically from 1999 onwards.[quote]

Describing a credit bubble as "exceptional growth" is kinda funny.

[quote]In the general euphoria of that time, there were few who expressed concern. After all, the theory underlying the architecture of European Monetary Union (EMU) had predicted that high trade deficits would simply correct themselves, as they would inevitably trigger supposedly powerful market-driven adjustment processes.

But this didn’t happen. The Greek experience shows that markets alone cannot adjust imbalances under the EMU institutional arrangements — at least not always.

As a result, external deficits exploded, generating a very large external debt. So the outburst of the Greek crisis should not be attributed to the clientelistic Greek state but to the design of the eurozone, the way it was constructed.
[quote]

Well, after the Greeks stopped cooking the books there "powerful market-driven adjustment process" actually happened. It's just that the EU decided that having Greece starve might be a too powerful market driven adjustment-process. But sure, it's all the Eurozones fault and Greece is the victim here....

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't really see why Morocco's opinion is relevant in a thread about European politics

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Andrast posted:

I don't really see why Morocco's opinion is relevant in a thread about European politics

Morocco is also an imperialist oppressor, much like us.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
It's imperialist oppressors all the way down.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Riso posted:

Speaking about the Burkini, this is Morocco's opinion:

I'm 99.99% sure that's a hotel pool, not a beach.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yeah it's a pool, burkinis are already banned in pools for hygiene reasons, like swimming trunks.

Basically

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 29, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, after the Greeks stopped cooking the books there "powerful market-driven adjustment process" actually happened. It's just that the EU decided that having Greece starve might be a too powerful market driven adjustment-process. But sure, it's all the Eurozones fault and Greece is the victim here....

I'm not sure you can call it an adjustment process any more than you can call salting the earth an adjustment process. Perhaps in technical terms, but it's not something you can really work with.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kurtofan posted:

Yeah it's a pool, burkinis are already banned in pools for hygiene reasons, like swimming trunks.

Basically

Are you supposed to go in naked? It looks like the picture of the bathing suit is crossed out. That's weird.

Or is it a women-only pool, since apparently women's bathing suits are okay?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PT6A posted:

Are you supposed to go in naked? It looks like the picture of the bathing suit is crossed out. That's weird.

speedos

very common, and very annoying in (indoor) swimming pools

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

speedos

very common, and very annoying in (indoor) swimming pools

Lol wut. Is this a europe.txt thing?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What exactly is the "hygienic" reason for banning full body swim gear and trunks? Do they get moldy or something?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

waitwhatno posted:

What exactly is the "hygienic" reason for banning full body swim gear and trunks? Do they get moldy or something?

they're loose so your pubes could wash out into the pool i guess?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

awesome-express posted:

Lol wut. Is this a europe.txt thing?

Yup. The logic is that shorts have more fabric and ergo carry more microbes, and that some types of cloth used in shorts, like cotton clogs up the filtering systems. It's really dumb, but that's what you get when you promote a safety obsessed public opinion that bans anything that at least one person thinks might be dangerous in ridiculous circumstances.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Basically

I think it's more a Mediterranean.txt thing but I honestly would not know. I've never seen it in any EU country I've been to. :sweden:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Andrast posted:

Well they pretty much want to join EU :v:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Friendly Humour posted:

Yup. The logic is that shorts have more fabric and ergo carry more microbes, and that some types of cloth used in shorts, like cotton clogs up the filtering systems. It's really dumb, but that's what you get when you promote a safety obsessed public opinion that bans anything that at least one person thinks might be dangerous in ridiculous circumstances.

:agreed:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

Well they pretty much want to join EU :v:

We should let them in before Turkey, Morocco is less of a shitshow.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Friendly Humour posted:

I'm no health expert, but I'm not sure if some cotton particles are any more of a health hazard then some dude's balls spilling out.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Yinlock posted:

I'm no health expert, but I'm not sure if some cotton particles are any more of a health hazard then some dude's balls spilling out.

I'm no health expert but that's why you chlorinate pool water.

It's not like speedos keep the piss in either.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/770227932128223232

Eurosceptic 5-star movement polling ahead of both the centre-left and the centre-right in second round polling for the Italian elections.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

PT6A posted:

Men must wear speedos.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The USA has survived for 200 years despite each individual state not having its own currency. I think you may need to consider the fact that Greece's problems are due to reasons other than a common currency.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

The USA has survived for 200 years despite each individual state not having its own currency. I think you may need to consider the fact that Greece's problems are due to reasons other than a common currency.

Are you aware that that nations in the EU are in fact separate countries, unlike american states.

The Euro isn't the only cause of Greece's problem but it certainly isn't helping.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Men must wear speedos.

Do women have to wear two-piece bathing suits with bottoms that do not cover more than speedos do as well?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kopijeger posted:

Do women have to wear two-piece bathing suits with bottoms that do not cover more than speedos do as well?

Nah, one-piece or two-piece.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Andrast posted:

Are you aware that that nations in the EU are in fact separate countries, unlike american states.

The Euro isn't the only cause of Greece's problem but it certainly isn't helping.

Aside from the lack of an individual army and foreign policy, US states are pretty analogous to nation states in the EU.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Nitrousoxide posted:

Aside from the lack of an individual army and foreign policy, US states are pretty analogous to nation states in the EU.

Except US states are required to run balanced budgets.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
AFAIK the reason why swimming trunks are often banned is also to prevent people from dragging sand and dirt from the beach / the outdoors area into the pool.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Riso posted:

No, the main difference is that if individual states are in trouble the overarching national government will lend assistance.

This is why there hasn't been a Greece equivalent in the US, despite the fact that some states did even worse with their economies (Florida in 08).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Riso posted:

No? Almost all states have amendments that require that but there is literally nothing that says they must, Vermont has no balanced budget requirement.

It's certainly a good idea for states that can't issue debt or just print money (as you can't when you have a common currency) to adopt balanced budgets.

There are many nation states that use the dollar for their currency and they are not falling apart from it.

I'm not really sure how this undermines the fact that USA states aren't imploding left and right despite having a common currency.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kurtofan posted:

Men must wear speedos.

Guess I'm not going wherever that is.

Speedos: not even once.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

PT6A posted:

Speedos are the male burkini. A mankini, if you will.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

PT6A posted:

There are nice boxer shaped speedos these days.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

There are nice boxer shaped speedos these days.

Oh, so you can wear shorts as long as they're tight-fitting (like cycling shorts, I guess) instead of loose? That seems fine, I thought this was a mandate for banana hammocks or something.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Squalid posted:

Poor educational attainment is a problem for gypsies outside of Europe too, the VOA article I posted includes interviews with a student in the US who may be the first in his family to complete basic education. It's also a serious problem among Latin American Romani in Argentina and Brazil, and if you what they themselves write it's an issue their communities are seriously concerned with.

This has, iirc, been helped a lot by better systems for kids that move around a lot in general in schooling. They're usually developed to assist students like those from military families that are constantly assigned to different bases or children that travel around with parents who have to do things like migrate for farm work.

Nitrousoxide posted:

No? Almost all states have amendments that require that but there is literally nothing that says they must, Vermont has no balanced budget requirement.

Also a lot of them that have laws about it just plain ignore it, or the law's only requirement is that one must be proposed every legislative cycle, not actually implemented.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

blowfish posted:

I'm no health expert but that's why you chlorinate pool water.
Chlorinating just changes one health issue into another, since the products of chlorine and human waste settle in the air just above the surface of the water and then end up in people's lungs, where they can cause respiratory problems. (Especially common among competitive swimmers.) Aside from being clear evidence that the water is (possibly literally) lovely, the smell of chlorine in pools is also a good indicator of the presence of chloramines, which as mentioned above, are bad for you. For that reason, the general trend here in Denmark (and probably other countries, I just don't have first hand knowledge of those) has been to focus on the hygiene of guests (shy old people in particular, who don't bathe properly before getting in), since that's a surprisingly effective way to reduce the need for chlorine.

In conclusion, a bit of respect when trying to integrate people into a new environment can go a long way, and reduce the need to roll out chemical agents.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yeah, you need to shower before you go into any public pool in North America pretty much, and that's what I saw when I was in Spain as well (where they didn't give a poo poo about what sort of swimwear you had on, as long as it wasn't "none"). It's rude and disgusting if you don't do so.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Over here in Austria, theres a big push back against "refugees" but most of the ones who came over have been housed and are no longer in the big tents in town or the train station etc.

Finally I figured out the confusion. In Salzburg, there are a massive amount of beggars. In the altstadt its one or sometimes two on every corner. Legally this is fine. The weird thing is, the Austrians believe that these beggars (90% from Romania) are these Syrian/Afghan refugees which is a bit unfair to the refugees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Expose your tits for the French Republic and freedom!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37219723

quote:

Prime Minister Manuel Valls has upset political rivals and historians by invoking the symbol of the French republic, Marianne, in the row over "burkini" beach bans.

"Her breast's exposed because she's feeding the people; she isn't wearing a veil because she's free," he said.