Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The NX is a Mario that gets older as you keep your age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

PBS Newshour posted:

The NX is a Mario that gets older as you keep your age.

But what if I lose my age?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That's what I love about Mario, man. I get older, he stays the same age.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mario is olimar's son

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Supercar Gautier posted:

Also lmao at the Gamecube layout on that mockup.

That's the only good part of the mockup :colbert:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Supercar Gautier posted:

I still maintain strong doubts that The NX is going to disassemble. I can buy the idea of a portable that can dock for TV play, but this whole "break off like a kit kat bar" concept doesn't have any benefits I can discern.

I think the (speculated) idea behind the dock is that it's sitting there next to your TV and you put the NX into it, pop off the controllers and then you can sit on the couch and use the controllers to play the game on the TV from there. If they didn't pop off you'd just have to awkwardly stand where the NX is docked and look over at your TV. This is all based on the idea that the dock will be a stationary thing and not a giant cable that trails across your living room, mind.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Having break-off controllers is a messier solution than the following:
  • A separate, full-featured, ergonomic controller (which the system will definitely have for multiplayer's sake)
  • Using the handset itself as a controller while it's linked to the TV, ala the Wii U Gamepad (this depends on how the docking system is designed and where the power/HDMI cables connect, but seems like it would be easier to engineer than the wacky disassembly stuff)

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Nintendo NX has two USB ports, for use with the Gamecube Controller Adapter and Rumble Support Peripheral, but it will be able to support so much more.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

Having break-off controllers is a messier solution than the following:
  • A separate, full-featured, ergonomic controller (which the system will definitely have for multiplayer's sake)
  • Using the handset itself as a controller while it's linked to the TV, ala the Wii U Gamepad (this depends on how the docking system is designed and where the power/HDMI cables connect, but seems like it would be easier to engineer than the wacky disassembly stuff)

Using the handset as a controller only works if the NX is just passing information along. If the dock contains extra processing power, then I don't think that would work.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I think the issue with including a separate controller is that it drives the price of the console up, since you're now selling the portable unit, the dock, and an additional controller. From the design standpoint, there's a redundancy there because you're already making and selling a bunch of controller parts inside the handheld device - if you can use those when the system is docked, you've saved yourself a bunch of money from not having to sell the same components twice. I'm picturing like, two ergonomic wiimote + thumbstick devices that are maybe wired together so that they share one battery unit. It's also potentially easier to understand from a consumer standpoint: if you are not very technologically literate, there's a simplicity in just having the controls for your handheld pop off when it's plugged into the TV instead of needing a separate controller that you only use when the NX is plugged in.

I agree that it's potentially messy from a technology standpoint, though. I don't know how the powerless transmission stuff that was being discussed in regards to the controllers would work, and failing that you'd have the NX unit that needs battery power, and then both of the controllers would need batteries too (or they could share one if they are wired together). It's definitely messy in that respect.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Why would it be more intuitive to take apart a device whenever you dock it? What current electronic products do this?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Don't a lot of tablet/tops have a detachable keyboard?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
the controls detach so you can keep them in a different shorts pocket than the display

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Germstore posted:

the controls detach so you can keep them in a different shorts pocket than the display

call my broker and tell them to short JNCO, stat!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Leaked images of the NX

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Kashuno posted:

Leaked images of the NX

The "PS" stands for "Plays Super". The 4 was supposed to be a stylized "g", which stands for "Games", but R&D messed up on that one.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Super Obtuse Nintendo Yunit: Plays Super 4

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Kashuno posted:

Super Obtuse Nintendo Yunit: Plays Super 4

"Do you have the power to Play Super?"

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

What if the PS4 was secretly then SNES CD this whole time

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

More rumors incoming: devkits have been found to have a Share button and a split D-pad, so it can be used as another input method I imagine.

quote:

Following our report last week regarding the Nintendo NX featuring advanced vibration technology and motion sensing in it’s new Wii Remote replacement controllers, Let’s Play Video Games has learned some additional information regarding the current version of the NX development hardware.
According to anonymous sources that have contacted Let’s Play Video Games following the previous report, we have learned that not only does the current NX development hardware feature a split D-Pad, unlike the solid pads Nintendo typically uses, but that the system also features a share button similar to that on the PS4.
The share button, denoted by a small icon of a camera, will apparently allow the upload of still images and video directly to Miiverse, Twitter, Facebook or YouTube. It will also be possible to save images or video to external memory devices for easier transfer to PC.
While the reasoning behind switching to a split D-Pad is currently unclear, the above header image was drawn by a source familiar with the current NX development kit and matches a description of the dev kit layout given by a second source who has provided reliable leaks regarding Nintendo products in the past.
So, are you hopeful for the chance to upload gameplay footage from NX to YouTube, or are you fearful of all the footage you upload being Content ID matched or taken straight back down by Nintendo’s legal teams?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Nintendo will advertise this split d-pad by announcing Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance 2, exclusively on NX

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

a.lo posted:

The gangs all here

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Usually Nintendo rumormongers protect their tweets when they get an avalanche of abuse when it turns out their predictions were wrong.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm the squiggle in the middle of the d pad.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Kind of makes sense though. Nintendo wouldn't split their 'iconic' d pad which has been the same for nearly 3 decades without a good reason, and turning it into 4 face buttons so you can have the two mini controllers would be one such reason.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

these patent images have just given up, haven't they?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
All of these proposed designs are terribly dumb and bad. they work fine in mobile mode but look awful to use when at home. a wii remote with only a stick and a d-pad? no way*

* I do not give my permission for this post to be quoted if this turns out to be true

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Nintendo patent designer "I'll just let my nephew draw the drat thing"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

"there is truth to this" - someone bullshitting

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

More rumors incoming: devkits have been found to have a Share button and a split D-pad, so it can be used as another input method I imagine.

Emily R has thoughtfully protected all of us from having to see her tweets and yet you still choose to inflict them upon us

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Let Emily Rest

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Split D Pad would make sense with previous rumors of the separate controllers being available for two players, but then again people can just make new rumors to match old rumors

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
According to reliably okay sources the whole cast of Tokyo Mirage Sessions is confirmed for SMASHNX

You heard it here first!!!!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
The wait is over, Lanky Kong will finally have his own game.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/770622350819782656

3DS-centric Direct being hosted by Nintendo UK this Thursday

Expecting NoA to follow suit with a similar announcement any moment now

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:laffo: Nintendo is just screwing with people now

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
The NX is actually a detachable controller for the 3DS. Finally a dignifed way to play monster hunter.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The NX will let you directly communicate with Shibata.

That's what the button with the camera does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Whats coming out for the 3DS besides Pokemon and Minster Hunter

• Locked thread