Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chinaman7000 posted:

One piece is great y'all are jerks.

One Piece is not great, although I am a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'm not even commenting on the character designs or rendering, the overall style is so busy and crammed with stuff I genuinely have a hard time even SEEING the characters.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The depiction of female characters in One Piece is worthy of criticism, even by the standards of japanese comics.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You're absolutely right but I heard that in your avatar's voice and now I'm giggling

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

One Piece is very deliberately cartoonish in a way that doesn't care to make so much as a glance at realism, but I agree that it has become visually overstuffed to an absurd degree. As much as people have been criticising Kubo for being almost terrified of drawing backgrounds, I much prefer the sparse backgrounds and heavy drenching of black ink in Bleach. It was really its only saving grace come the finale.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Back when I was trying to not hate manga and failing, I read a lot of then-popular stuff by artists who did not draw backgrounds and were really bad at situating characters relative to each other and it was a goddamn headache trying to figure out what the hell was supposed to be happening.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah I pause at actually calling it "bad" because I know that's subjective. But there was this one splash page where it took me a while to notice one of the super muscular characters in the background because he didn't read as human to my eyes.

I just wish the artist would take a life drawing class or two, then come back and redevelop his style. But obviously enough people like his style that that will never happen.

I read a little bit of One Piece just now to remind myself what the art is like and yeah, the art is actually really good and you need to have a very solid, confident grasp of the human form in order to draw exaggerated, weird characters like Oda does and have them appear consistent and readable from multiple angles panel to panel. I respect that you would like him to draw less exaggerated figures and I agree that he goes too far sometimes (and his women are not good) but please don't assume that he's never taken a life drawing class, because you seriously do not get that good at drawing figures, exaggerated or otherwise, without an enormous amount of practice in drawing real human beings. Like, hell, Luffy is literally a slightly skinny but otherwise regularly proportioned human, and he's in pretty much all of One Piece. Oda clearly knows exactly how to draw human men. The jury is still out on whether he knows how to draw women.

I'm sorry that I'm getting annoyed at you for this, but you're throwing around this "take a life drawing class" line and I feel like you're misunderstanding what an artist actually takes away from a life drawing class and how it applies to their work.

Lurdiak posted:

Back when I was trying to not hate manga and failing, I read a lot of then-popular stuff by artists who did not draw backgrounds and were really bad at situating characters relative to each other and it was a goddamn headache trying to figure out what the hell was supposed to be happening.

They were probably just standing on boxes.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Red Bones posted:

I read a little bit of One Piece just now to remind myself what the art is like and yeah, the art is actually really good and you need to have a very solid, confident grasp of the human form in order to draw exaggerated, weird characters like Oda does and have them appear consistent and readable from multiple angles panel to panel.

I think we must be seeing different comics or something.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol no dude it's just you

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Corto Maltese by Hugo Pratt

Cockblocking pervs like it ain't no thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He's got a Japanese cousin he should look up.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

god i wish it were easy to find translated copies of Corto Maltese and Michel Valliant

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Vincent posted:

Corto Maltese by Hugo Pratt

Cockblocking pervs like it ain't no thing.

I've read some. Fantastic to look at but boring as all hell. Also Corto Maltese speaks but never ever opens his mouth.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dormammu doesn't like Eternity's interference in his plans to destroy Dr. Strange so the two of them throw down:

Up to this point I didn't think Dormammu was a big deal but I was wrong! The fight doesn't end up going well for either of them and they are both seemingly obliterated over the next several panels.

Strange Tales #146
Ditko, (obvs)

Lobok fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 7, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Um, isn't Eternity like, the entire Universe, and destroying him destroys everything?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The One Above All

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Choco1980 posted:

Um, isn't Eternity like, the entire Universe, and destroying him destroys everything?

He's the physical embodiment of the universe, it's living consciousness.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Choco1980 posted:

I'm not sure how it would work since there are so many different dimensions but either way, Eternity doesn't die. I haven't gone far enough into the series to find out what actually happened to him/it and Dormammu.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Pulling from my rear end, but I thought Domammu was basically "it" for his dimension, as in the only sentient powerful being in it. Which maybe ranks him up? But then you question how Doc Orpheus Strange can beat him if he's that spicy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those >BLANK< Dimension guys only care about one thing.

Nextwave is still wonderful

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Alaois posted:

god i wish it were easy to find translated copies of Corto Maltese and Michel Valliant

Fantagraphics' has been putting out a new English edition since last year, though, having read the first, it's actually pretty dull.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is from ANAD Avengers #14

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Roth posted:

This is from ANAD Avengers #14

God drat that's a poorly conveyed facial expression

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mimir posted:

Fantagraphics' has been putting out a new English edition since last year, though, having read the first, it's actually pretty dull.

pff whatever man, you just don't get art

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Rhyno posted:

He's the physical embodiment of the universe, it's living consciousness.

So is he a fragment/portion/part of the Living Tribunal? Didn't the...Builders (?) kill the Living Tribunal because It confronted them after they killed off all other cosmic aspects, and he represented the multiverse?

* the (?) is there because I can't remember all the parties involved during the incursions

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Scaramouche posted:

Pulling from my rear end, but I thought Domammu was basically "it" for his dimension, as in the only sentient powerful being in it. Which maybe ranks him up? But then you question how Doc Orpheus Strange can beat him if he's that spicy.

Dormammu was definitely the biggest gun in the Dark Dimension, but he wasn't the only sentient powerful being. His sister Umar was also tough.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A good excuse to post Kevin Maguire art and remind everyone that Umar wanted to make the Hulk her fucktoy...until she found out she's got more stamina

From the Defenders mini-series about a decade ago. :

And more of Dormammu being shown as pathetic, because that is never not funny:

It's all a good exercise in showing how good judgment in narrative timing can cover up the fact that a lot of the panels are reused or only slightly altered.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
VARICOSE VEINS OF THE VISHANTI!!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Scaramouche posted:

Early on Strange couldn't beat him. And it's not like Dormammu is shown to be weak. There are lots of other dimensions he has in the palm of his hand until Strange defeats him in this weird mystical pincer gauntlet wrestling match (no magic allowed). Just didn't think that made him as strong as to fight Eternity to a draw. Maybe over the course of Eternity's subsequent appearances they make him more powerful.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dormammu is crazy strong and usually Strange's only edge is that he's stuck in his own dimension and can't exert his full power in ours. Dormammu is "it" in his own dimension because he took it over completely.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Dormammu is crazy strong and usually Strange's only edge is that he's stuck in his own dimension and can't exert his full power in ours. Dormammu is "it" in his own dimension because he took it over completely.

He was really honourable in his first appearances! The only reason he didn't just come to Earth and destroy Strange was because he swore to Strange that he wouldn't, haha.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

So is he a fragment/portion/part of the Living Tribunal? Didn't the...Builders (?) kill the Living Tribunal because It confronted them after they killed off all other cosmic aspects, and he represented the multiverse?

* the (?) is there because I can't remember all the parties involved during the incursions

Nah, the Living Tribunal is a separate entity.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lobok posted:

He was really honourable in his first appearances! The only reason he didn't just come to Earth and destroy Strange was because he swore to Strange that he wouldn't, haha.

When magic-types make promises, they usually take them more seriously than normal people do. Probably some kind of interdimensional Geneva Conference got the rules set up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

prefect posted:

When magic-types make promises, they usually take them more seriously than normal people do. Probably some kind of interdimensional Geneva Conference got the rules set up.

When spells require incantations or invocations I guess you learn quickly that the sincerity of your words is pretty important. Don't want Cyttorak or the hosts of Hoggoth thinking you're a boy who cries wolf.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

prefect posted:

:cthulhu: OK guys, look... we've been at this 2...3 aeons now? Christ alive man just lets wrap this poo poo up. Hoggoth, you're limited to just the Hoary Hosts in euclidian-dimensions, provided that any mindflayers, eldritch horrorgods or ancient unknowables keep a respectable distance from Death. Can we agree to that?

:catholic: I'd like clarification on the "entities posing as Gods" addendum.

:spooky: oh gently caress's sake...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lobok posted:

Dormammu doesn't like Eternity's interference in his plans to destroy Dr. Strange so the two of them throw down:

That looks for all the world like Dormammu is trying to destroy Eternity with one mighty pelvic thrust.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

prefect posted:

Strange calls upon Cytorrak and even Mephisto in his spellcasting. Really, the best way to understand Strange's spells is as a series of contracts made with more powerful entities. As Sorceror Supreme he just happens to have all the best contracts pre-negotiated for him by the Vishanti and his predecessors. I know the writers don't always protray it that way, but that's because they're wrong and will pay for their crimes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Strange calls upon Cytorrak and even Mephisto in his spellcasting. Really, the best way to understand Strange's spells is as a series of contracts made with more powerful entities. As Sorceror Supreme he just happens to have all the best contracts pre-negotiated for him by the Vishanti and his predecessors. I know the writers don't always protray it that way, but that's because they're wrong and will pay for their crimes.

You are making me wish for a series where Daredevil and She-Hulk has to work out interdimensional contracts for Doctor Strange. Stop that. Stop that this instant.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think the Vishanti are directly associated with the Sorcerer Supreme job -- when Urthona took over for a while, he did it without their backing. I think it's more of a situation where the Ancient One and Doc both align well with the goals of the Vishanti, so they agree to work on their team, which gets them a lot of pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jedit posted:

That looks for all the world like Dormammu is trying to destroy Eternity with one mighty pelvic thrust.

Magic and loving have always gone hand in hand.