Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

Spoeank posted:

How experienced is the office league? FAAB could easily turn off marginal players

MrSargent posted:

That is very true. If they are inexperienced, the next best is Waivers that reset based on usage.

Good point, I can see that happening. Some folks would probably be all for the change, but we have some newbies and casual players. I think I will follow MrSargent's advice as a compromise (I have always done resetting waivers based on standings and am not a fan).

MrSargent posted:

What site are you using for your league?

This year my league changed to FAAB because we noticed glaring flaws in both of the other waiver systems. We are giving each owner a $100 budget for the season, but $0 bids are allowed.

For playoffs in a 12 team, I think having 6 playoff teams total is the best because its more fun when more people are involved at the end. To each his own though. the top 4 seeds are picked by division winners (4 divisions of 3 teams each). The 2 wildcards are determined by the next two teams with the highest point totals. This is a good combination of division competition with fairness for playing in a tough division.

I agree with having six teams make the playoffs. Would you still have weeks 14-16 be the playoffs with the 1st and 2nd seed having byes in week 14?

MarquisDeCarabas fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Yep 1 and 2 seeds get byes and 3 and 4 play the wildcards.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Last year ESPN offered to email out a ranking/evaluation on our draft, this year I don't see that option. Anybody know what's going on there?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I think discontinued that, few people on Reddit asking the same question. It use to be in the FF draft kit thing and that's off the menu.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

After browsing the rate my team thread for a bit,

If you are new and/or haven't drafted yet, DO NOT DRAFT A DEFENSE OR KICKER UNTIL THE LAST ROUNDS

If you have a 15 round draft, Defense / Kicker should be at the earliest round 13. Depth is REALLY important on FF teams, use the extra round that people are grabbing those positions early to pick up sleeper WR/RB or other people you see mentioned here. It will make your team much better / life much easier.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
In 1 qb leagues your last 3 picks should be qb, def, k in that order

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Amy goon 2 QB leagues this year? Preferably redraft.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Papes posted:

In every league your last 3 picks should be te, def, k in that order

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

OxySnake posted:

After browsing the rate my team thread for a bit,

If you are new and/or haven't drafted yet, DO NOT DRAFT A DEFENSE OR KICKER UNTIL THE LAST ROUNDS

If you have a 15 round draft, Defense / Kicker should be at the earliest round 13. Depth is REALLY important on FF teams, use the extra round that people are grabbing those positions early to pick up sleeper WR/RB or other people you see mentioned here. It will make your team much better / life much easier.

you don't understand, i NEED esteemed kicker and playmaker Justin Tucker on my fantasy team

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Papes posted:

In 1 qb leagues your last 3 picks should be qb, def, k in that order

What about for 6 PaTD?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

What do you guys think of Kirk Cousins this year?

I picked him up off of waivers last season, so I ended up watching almost all of his games, and I legit thought he looked good. I hear Nick Foles comps calling Cousins a flash in the pan, but I don't see it, having seen all of Foles games with the Eagles.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Boosh! posted:

What about for 6 PaTD?

QB is the exception and is fine to take earlier, especially in 6 PaTD. Turning down Rodgers or Brees or Wilson or Newton in the 5th or 6th would be silly.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
your last 4 picks should be QB, TE, DEF, K in that order.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I encourage waiting on QB, but leaving it to after-thought is dangerous and a little silly. There's no reason not to start thinking about a QB around round 8, but I would never wait until 12-14 for a starter that's crazy. I've been getting Carr and Tannehill at 10/11/12 and I'm really happy with that and there's no way in hell I'd be comfortable entering a season with the worse QBs I'd get at the bottom of the barrel.

Also, remember that people are stupid and will draft a backup to Rodgers/Newton/Wilson/etc. before the last 3 rounds, so if you think you're all smarter than the room and hey I'm gonna wait :riker: you're probably going to overthink and gently caress yourself

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 30, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Drafting 101: there's no right or wrong round to take any position except kicker and DST, don't turn down value when guys fall further than they should because of some dumb rigid 0 RB or wait for QB strategy, duh. Class over.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

Drafting 101: there's no right or wrong round to take any position except kicker and DST, don't turn down value when guys fall further than they should because of some dumb rigid 0 RB or wait for QB strategy, duh. Class over.

This guy know's what's up.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

I'm in a 2 QB league but I only have to start one. Mine are Brees and Ryan TanneyHill. A gentleman in the league dropped Stafford to get Prescott. Stafford over Taney, right?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

I'm in a 2 QB league but I only have to start one. Mine are Brees and Ryan TanneyHill. A gentleman in the league dropped Stafford to get Prescott. Stafford over Taney, right?

Yes, but drop someone else. You want 3 startable QBs when you can start 2.

Edit: Unless I'm confused. Is it one dedicated QB spot + a superflex where you can start a QB if you want? Or do you say "2 QB" as in you can only start 1 and max of 2 on roster, or something like that? If you can start 2, you want to start 2.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 30, 2016

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Boosh! posted:

What about for 6 PaTD?

Every qb would affected by this so its largely irrelevant. Outside the 1-3 qbs a year who have a historic season, there is minimal weekly advantage to drafting a high ranked qb in the 5th than streaming someone off waivers with a +ev matchup.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I am the guy who always waits on a TE but I could not pass up getting Travis Kelce in the 8th round this year.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MrSargent posted:

I am the guy who always waits on a TE but I could not pass up getting Travis Kelce in the 8th round this year.

Kelce is a boss.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

if the business is being criminally under-utilized by an idiot coach and a noodle-armed QB then sure

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

if the business is being criminally under-utilized by an idiot coach and a noodle-armed QB then sure

Yeah he's underutilized, but he's awesome. Not his fault his coach and qb can't keep up with his awesomeness.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

I'm the biggest Kelce fan out there but he's a farce this year. Kc simply plays at too slow of a pace and passes too little for him to be anything than a mid TE1. I'd take walker and fleener over him or just wait for Ebron or McDonald.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I've been getting Dwayne Allen in like the 11-14th in 12-teamers and with no Fleener to siphon targets, I feel like that's plenty fine for a TE. I'd probably take Walker and Fleener over Kelce also, but I wouldn't touch any of them at their ADP as is. Kelce in the 8th is a good pick, but if TEs are going that late, Allen is probably going undrafted and I can't imagine wanting to pass on whatever QB or RB/WR depth that are around to take any TE when there's bound to be that kind of value available for pennies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Zeus is going to strike you both down with lightning bolt spikes as he plows into the endzone on a 2 yard pass from Alex Smith.

(I really worry about his production this year as well, but I am optimistic since I own him in dynasty)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

I agree with having six teams make the playoffs. Would you still have weeks 14-16 be the playoffs with the 1st and 2nd seed having byes in week 14?

A little late to the party but here's another option for a 12-team league. This is how my dynasty league is organized:

3 divisions of 4 teams each.
13-week regular season. Each team plays their division rivals twice (=6 games) plus they play all but one of the non-division teams once each (=7 games). (change which one team each team doesn't play from one year to the next, so that over the course of 8 years, it cycles around.)

In week 14, the winners of each of the three divisions get a bye. Two wildcard teams determined by best overall record play one another in the wildcard match. If you have a consolation bracket, it also starts week 14.
Week 15, top seeded division champ plays the winner of the wildcard match, the other two division champs play each other.
Week 16, two winners of the previous week play for 1st and 2nd place. Losers from the previous week play one another for 3rd and 4th place. Consolation bracket final match plays, which potentially gets you a consolation bracket winner.

In our league, consolation bracket winner wins a small prize. I'm a big proponent of making consolation bracket games meaningful, because in a dynasty or keeper league it's important to discourage teams from deliberately throwing matches late in the season once they know they're out of the playoffs, in order to secure better drafting spots or something. If you don't have meaningful play through the playoff weeks, you should enforce some kind of trade deadline that happens before playoffs, so that playoff contenders can't grab good players off of eliminated teams.

In addition to consolation brackets, you can have weekly contests at the end of the season, weeks 14-16. For example, you could give a small prize each week to the team that is out of the playoffs that earns the most fantasy points that week. Anything to keep people engaged and not checking out once they're eliminated is good.

The above system I described has the disadvantage that one team pairing doesn't play one another; but, it makes the divisions meaningful (play each div rival twice, winning a div is an automatic pass to the semifinals), means you don't have to run the final championship match during week 17 (when many NFL teams sit their studs), and makes for larger divisions (I think 4 three-team divisions is a little silly).

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I've been getting Dwayne Allen in like the 11-14th in 12-teamers and with no Fleener to siphon targets, I feel like that's plenty fine for a TE. I'd probably take Walker and Fleener over Kelce also, but I wouldn't touch any of them at their ADP as is. Kelce in the 8th is a good pick, but if TEs are going that late, Allen is probably going undrafted and I can't imagine wanting to pass on whatever QB or RB/WR depth that are around to take any TE when there's bound to be that kind of value available for pennies.

I also punt TE's and have ended up with Allen twice, but I'm concerned that the Colts line is so bad that he might be doing more blocking than we had presumed when we drafted him.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Should I keep Watkins as a 7th or Duke Johnson as a 12th rounder in a full PPR league with 2W 2R 1T 2WTR? I am keeping Cooper(6), Nelson(15), and Kelvin(last round). I have 2 1st's including 2nd overall so will hope for Zeke there and just grab a bunch of RB's I guess. Duke is good in PPR though, advice?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Last year with no Luck and with just as bad of an O-Line, the 3 Colts TEs combined for about 80/700/5 (TE10). I don't think it's really unreasonable to expect Allen to at least match Fleener's 55/500/3 (TE15) from last year. For where he's being drafted I have no problem with taking him there to start and then keeping an eye on ASJ/Tye/Cook/McDonald, hoping that one of them is this year's Barnidge/Watson, and making the swap (which I wouldn't be able to do if I were more heavily invested in a TE like Kelce, Walker, or Fleener, who honestly have just as much likelihood of breaking through the glass ceiling between TE4-5 and the rest of the pack). They also have Chud as an OC, who if memory serves, does tend to favor TEs (though I don't think they will feature them), and even if Dorsett takes a huge step forward, I don't think they have the WR depth to run a lot of 3WR sets. Considering their OL issues, that could lead to more 2 TE sets, where I'd imagine that Allen would be the one running routes.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 30, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Watkins without a doubt

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually, when a team has a crappy o-line and especially a backup QB playing, that's good for TE production. They play more snaps to add protection and bolster the OL, and they're a useful quick checkdown option.

I have no opinion about whether Allen is a great TE option or not, but I don't buy the argument that because the Colts fed TEs a lot last year while having a bad OL and a backup QB, that means the Colts will feed even more looks to TEs with a better OL and with Luck at the helm.

The rest of the argument seems OK, but I think at best the TE situation in Indy is a little uncertain and there's downside risk to any Indy TE.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

Edit: Unless I'm confused. Is it one dedicated QB spot + a superflex where you can start a QB if you want? Or do you say "2 QB" as in you can only start 1 and max of 2 on roster, or something like that? If you
[quote="RVProfootballer" post="463727395"]

Edit: Unless I'm confused. Is it one dedicated QB spot + a superflex where you can start a QB if you want? Or do you say "2 QB" as in you can only start 1 and max of 2 on roster, or something like that? If you can start 2, you want to start 2.

We're just required to have 2 QB all the time even though we can start only one. I'm not sure why this guy wanted Prescott so bad, he's not even a Romo owner. I guess people are down on Stafford because Calvin retired?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Papes posted:

I'm the biggest Kelce fan out there but he's a farce this year. Kc simply plays at too slow of a pace and passes too little for him to be anything than a mid TE1. I'd take walker and fleener over him or just wait for Ebron or McDonald.

They are going to pass more this year than they have since the Vermeil era.

That said they have two new wide receivers and two new tight ends that are all awesome, not to mention the passes to the RBs so they are going to spread it around a lot.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

In hindsight, I should have picked up RB depth instead of getting Kelce but I still think it was a solid pick on the 7/8 turn. Allen ended up going in the 12th.

Does anyone else feel like Lacy is going to have a much better year this year? He looked great in preseason ( i know preseason lol) and every indication is that the coaches are happy with him.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

We're just required to have 2 QB all the time even though we can start only one. I'm not sure why this guy wanted Prescott so bad, he's not even a Romo owner. I guess people are down on Stafford because Calvin retired?

Ah, ok. I'd prefer Stafford to Tannehill by a little, but with the offensive changes in Miami, they might not really have such different expectations this year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MrSargent posted:

Does anyone else feel like Lacy is going to have a much better year this year? He looked great in preseason ( i know preseason lol) and every indication is that the coaches are happy with him.

I figure he's going to go out there with a chip on his shoulder from last season and hopefully that will be a good thing.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Actually, when a team has a crappy o-line and especially a backup QB playing, that's good for TE production. They play more snaps to add protection and bolster the OL, and they're a useful quick checkdown option.

I have no opinion about whether Allen is a great TE option or not, but I don't buy the argument that because the Colts fed TEs a lot last year while having a bad OL and a backup QB, that means the Colts will feed even more looks to TEs with a better OL and with Luck at the helm.

The rest of the argument seems OK, but I think at best the TE situation in Indy is a little uncertain and there's downside risk to any Indy TE.

I'm not expecting more, I'm more or less expecting the same amount of targets, if not slightly fewer, just for Allen to be receiving them at the same clip, if not better, than Fleener did last year. I don't think that's a bad risk to take.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I'm not expecting more, I'm more or less expecting the same amount of targets, if not slightly fewer, just for Allen to be receiving them at the same clip, if not better, than Fleener did last year. I don't think that's a bad risk to take.

OK yeah, that makes sense. I probably misunderstood what you were trying to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I have absolutely no statistical evidence to back this, but I'd also have to hope that those targets would be of a "higher quality" coming from Luck instead of god knows what they trotted out there last year, and that would help Allen maintain that baseline level of production if not raise his ceiling a bit.

• Locked thread