Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Also the 'abilities' and 'ultimates' feel like moba elements even though they arent much different from loadouts and classes and killstreaks/ubercharges from other fpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Xaris posted:

:agreed: and I actually liked hydro a lot more than loving 2fort, oh yippee we got 3 engineers farting around in flag room, oh and look we got 8 snipers on the ramparts, and a dumb scout dying on the bridge. And if God forbid you manage an soldier/heavy/demo+uber rush to their flag room and take out a nest or two there's another nest waiting because also 3 of their players are jacking off over turrets. Wait we managed somehow take out 3 neats with just the two/three of us actually trying and were able to get the flag out to the bridge before dying????? God drat guys get off sniper and go loving scout and demo or something and rush that poo poo for gently caress sake!! .... And it's gone, gently caress this

gently caress 2fort forever

A good post. That map was dumb.

Ive been out of the loop for a bit, when does the new patch drop and where is Sombra

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah I'm not great at Rein but "no, just wait" is not terrible advice for any situation he's involved in. You almost always get that "ah, YES FRIENDS NOW! NOW!" moment.

The problem I have with Rein is that I wait too long, and the other Rein charges first and takes me out of the fight.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Jastiger posted:

A good post. That map was dumb.

Ive been out of the loop for a bit, when does the new patch drop and where is Sombra

Season 2 along with the new map and the balance changes start September 6.

The Sombra ARG is a marketing tool that generates disproportionate hype for the time and money it costs to run. They'll keep releasing tiny bits of ARG until they need something new to show. BlizzCon is as good a guess as any.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Jimb posted:

Is there a reason beyond "HEROES" that causes people to use moba speak when describing this game? Did blizzard use marketing wizardry to siphon off that playerbase that has not really played FPS games before? I ask because I just recently started playing this game and I am confused as gently caress as to why that is.

Blizzard sort of marketed it as such. Plus it's biggest competitors at the beta stage were Paragon and Battleborn which were also marketed as mobas. It's an odd beast though. The charging ultimates and character roster aren't something most fps games do. They sort of mashed a bunch of games together and came up with their own thing. The games were all promoted as taking a various components from a moba and other genres and then packaging them in an FPS.

I guess it sort of comes down to what components you think define moba and what components you think define an FPS. I've seen Overwatch described as a fighting game melded with an FPS, and I guess if you're strictly focusing on character roster, special moves/abilities and ultimates that kinda makes sense as well.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Jimb posted:

Is there a reason beyond "HEROES" that causes people to use moba speak when describing this game? Did blizzard use marketing wizardry to siphon off that playerbase that has not really played FPS games before? I ask because I just recently started playing this game and I am confused as gently caress as to why that is.

What is moba speak? I've never really played one, I don't know what it looks like

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

You lucky, lucky person.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you're confused about why people use "MOBA speak" in this game you might have a mental disorder.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
ctf_well was great, loved scoutin' around that map.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

What is moba speak? I've never really played one, I don't know what it looks like

it's just jargon like ults, creeps, lanes, top/bot, adc/supp/jungle and a whole bunch of other poo poo that mostly doesn't actually apply to overwatch

i think ults/ultimates might be the only major thing. people also say stuff like "use your E" in reference to an ability. but that sort of thing would happen in overwatch regardless of prior moba experience, cause that's how blizzard designed the UI and the game.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Millennials and their DOTA :rolleyes:

This game is in the same category as Team Fortress, and borrows way more elements from it then from any MOBA.

Hell, Blizzard has modeled quite a few of their classes based off of TF2 counterparts:

Hanjo > Huntsman Sniper
Widow > Regular Sniper
Mercy > Medic
Torb/Symmys > Engineer
Junkrat > Regular Demoman
Tracer > Scout
Pharah > Soldier
Zarya > Regular Heavy
Roadhog > Sandvich Heavy
Reaper > Milkman Scout

The only TF class that hasn't been emulated is the Spy.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I bet the Overwatch guys could beat up all their TF2 counterparts in a fight

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it'd be cool if someone could write up some words about reinhardt, my worst hero

I'll start working on something for him. He's one of the other characters that I use a whole lot.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jimb posted:

better than "toons"

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Kerrrrrrr posted:

it's just jargon like ults, creeps, lanes, top/bot, adc/supp/jungle and a whole bunch of other poo poo that mostly doesn't actually apply to overwatch

I've never heard any of this besides ult in ow. What do they define as a jungle in ow? A flanking roadhog?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Haha Blizzard thought it would be good for the health of their game to remove the competitive play mode that was the only thing anyone wanted for like the better part of a month

ahahaha man i'm losing hope in this game more and more every day

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

cool. I'm gonna continue to shoot mans and have fun.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ImPureAwesome posted:

I've never heard any of this besides ult in ow. What do they define as a jungle in ow? A flanking roadhog?

heh nah none of that jargon i mentioned applies to overwatch other than ults.

closest thing would be a flanker though, yeah.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Guys I like this game, is that okay

Also I can't wait for the patch because I'm almost prestiged and I want to get that sweet truckload of lootboxes when the new stuff is out. Blizzard please!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The most relevant MOBA term I've heard is "feeding".

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
There's definitely chip damage, burst mobility, pushing, feeding, farming ultimate abilities and cooldown management in this highly teamwork-oriented game played with a handful of other people, so

Internet Explorer posted:

If you're confused about why people use "MOBA speak" in this game you might have a mental disorder.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

There's definitely chip damage, burst mobility, pushing, feeding, farming ultimate abilities and cooldown management in this highly teamwork-oriented game played with a handful of other people, so

Most of those are just general gaming terms, not "moba speak"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

oh yeah this is a good example, don't think that was a thing before mobas.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Andrast posted:

Ehhh a lot of that isn't FPS centric either. Overwatch really draws from a bunch of different genres and mashes it all into one game. My friend describes it as "bastard child of street fighter and counter strike" and he sorta has a point even there.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I have problems with simple words pls halp

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Andrast posted:

I agree with you, yet I strongly suspect the people whining about moba terminology being used in OW disagree or are at least emotionally triggered by any discussion of gameplay mechanics more indepth than "shootmans"

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Dragongem posted:

Also I can't wait for the patch because I'm almost prestiged and I want to get that sweet truckload of lootboxes when the new stuff is out. Blizzard please!

Is there something other than Reinhardt skins, D.va legendary emote and laugh/sit emotes? I'm level 99 too.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Last night I played against the first 6-Mei gimmick team I have seen. Trying to cap the two points in Volskaya was an exercise in frustration. At nearly any given point there was an invulnerable Mei preventing the capture, and walls a plenty. They were a 6-man group so they communicated well, effectively shutting off certain paths indefinitely. We eventually won, but that was insane.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Thor-Stryker posted:

This game is in the same category as Team Fortress, and borrows way more elements from it then from any MOBA.

There's also a lot seemingly borrowed from hybrid FPS/MOBA Monday Night Combat, and the similarities can be even more striking for the relevant characters:

Bastion = Gunner
Hanzo = Artemis
Lucio = Robo Hobo
Roadhog = Veteran
Symmetra = Combat Girl
Widowmaker = Sniper
Zarya = Tank

Granted, it's not perfect- MNC characters were lousy with abilities compared to Overwatch, but some like Combat Girl, Sniper, and Veteran have similarities too striking for coincidence. Honorable mention goes to Cheston and his ability to "go ape", but other than that he only has superficial resemblance to Winston.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

MysteriousStranger posted:

Ehhh a lot of that isn't FPS centric either. Overwatch really draws from a bunch of different genres and mashes it all into one game. My friend describes it as "bastard child of street fighter and counter strike" and he sorta has a point even there.

Your friend is an idiot if he thinks this game is a mix of Counter-Strike and Street Fighter.

People are just using terms from other games because that's what they played before Overwatch. Case in point:

Willie Tomg posted:

Feeding and Ultimates sure, but this game doesn't have actual chip damage (Damage taken during a block.) burst mobility is just a movement ability, pushing is used in any game/sport, farming is the same as feeding in this game, and cooldown management is a stretch considering you're only managing two buttons worth of cooldowns.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah this game makes me think TF2 but also with extra abilities more than anything else.

I don't really play MOBAs and the only MOBA thing as far as I can tell is Ults.

I literally do not seen any connection to fighting games but I haven't played a fighting game since Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast... or before that, really,.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I always thought overwatch had a strong connection to jrpgs.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Commoners posted:

I'll start working on something for him. He's one of the other characters that I use a whole lot.

That'd be fantastic. I'm mainly asking because the winston guide was really helpful with my decision making, rather than all the other guides that are aimed for people who have never played him before. Mechanically I understand rein, it's more that I have a harder time with stuff like when to drop the shield and start swinging vs holding it up

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's a regular FPS game where each character has a weapon they have to charge to use (ultimates)

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Is that where a team trickles in to be killed one at a time?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Original Team Fortress > TF2 imo.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Feeding was used in a similar way even before mobas. Dark Age of Camelot you could feed or farm realm points which was a completely pvp reward that you used to buy abilities.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

LCL-Dead posted:

Original Team Fortress > TF2 imo.

If you mean the Half-Life mod TFC, yeah definitely

TF2 was way less fun than TFC

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Someone needs a disease ability that slowly drains hp that requires a healthpack or healer or zarya bubble to cure.

In qwtf at one time there was a bug that let spectators bump into infected people while wandering around in free look mode and get infected. Then you could wander around as a ghost infecting people. That game had so many hilarious bugs though they patched them all out except for bunnyhopping.

Demomen had time bombs and you could bind the timer for as long as you wanted, then you could start stacking them on top of each to make a speed bump in the spiral to stop scouts.

Spies could walk around in the form of a dead body. Dead bodies sliding around was pretty amusing.

Engineers could build on top of other buildings. You could build a sentry on your dispenser then blow up the dispenser and build it on top of the sentry and keep repeating it and have midair sentry guns.

What I'm saying is instead discouraging mei walling team mates and symmetra portals over cliffs we should encourage every hero to be able to troll.

Oh man. There needs to be a brawl with friendly fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So I played Hanzo for the first time. He's actually kind of fun! I'm shocked they're reverting the arrow things though, he seems like he's in roughly the right place in terms of being able to poo poo out damage.