Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
They got pretty sincere during the interview. I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I was hoping to see them interacting with some of the other spont regulars but hell, I'll never say no to more of the boys and their funny friend

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

"It was hosted by Michael Ian Black, so I got to experience what people must experience when they meet me."

cams
Mar 28, 2003

"can we just do that? can we just go to nerdist?"

a great week for hh fans

beeman
May 7, 2008

Tavarin posted:

Sean and Hayes on Spont this week is great

agreedo, i laughed my whole butt off

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
So sad that Sean and Hayes give Cody a chance to be a real sweetie and he keeps messing it up.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
edit: figured it out

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 30, 2016

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
He's a retarded guy on In Living Color.

I'm allowed to say that because I love those guys.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm worried they'll stop doing Hollywood Handbook

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I want Sean and Hayes to be on Spont every week.

e: this is the best Spont episode ever.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 31, 2016

beeman
May 7, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm worried they'll stop doing Hollywood Handbook

the listening numbers actually aren't that bad:

and it is getting more popular:

but you can't help but imagine that advertisers aren't crazy about

TenTwelveTwelve
Oct 12, 2012
I don't think they've ever read a straight ad.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If I had money for a new one i would 100% use a HH code to try out a new mattress. They are the only podcast where their ads are actually must-listen.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Yeah I'd be interested to know what percentage of listeners actually end up hearing the ads. Maron, HDTGM, etc. may have a big audiences, but is anybody actually hearing those ads? The last time I heard a non-HH one was when I was doing the dishes and didn't want to bother yanking the gloves off.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wow, Bitch Sesh is number two? I'm surprised by that.

Not in the bad way, that show's easily my favorite on Earwolf, just didn't expect it to be that popular.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I always listen to the HH ads. Unfortunately the only thing that I've ever been interested in was the money transaction site that featured CashTags - the fact that I can't remember the name should let you know how successful it was.

That was also, to my knowledge, the only HH ad that never included a referral code to let them know who sent you. So I signed up for this site, that I've never used...for nothing.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Wow, Bitch Sesh is number two? I'm surprised by that.

Not in the bad way, that show's easily my favorite on Earwolf, just didn't expect it to be that popular.

That appears to be growth and not listeners.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
So you see, if you make an ad buy on Hollywood handbook, more people than ever before will hear the hosts calling you unfunny pedophiles for six and a half minutes. It's a great value.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
That's growth by listeners with a percentage at the end

e: beat badly

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

padijun posted:

That's growth by listeners with a percentage at the end

e: beat badly

that'll show me for not actually reading the graph and just looking at lines.

Still, nice to see it grew a lot

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Work Friend Keven posted:

So you see, if you make an ad buy on Hollywood handbook, more people than ever before will hear the hosts calling you unfunny pedophiles for six and a half minutes. It's a great value.

do you by any chance write songs about poop

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I used the HH code to get the Howl free trial. Thanks boys

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Work Friend Keven posted:

cards against humanity no longer does business with the boys

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
The Andree Vermeulen HH ep is an all-time great. Total homerun.

The Hamilton ads make me want to drive my car into a ravine.

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
I had it in my brain that Yo Is This Racist? was probably an extremely popular podcast but given that I know from looking at the titles I can tell that the answer the host is going to give every time is going to be "yes" I guess I understand why i was wrong. Also am I just not seeing it or is Katie Couric's podcast not even on there

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

For a second I got excited that Womp It Up! was releasing new episodes but no it's just somehow getting relistened by CBB superfans a ton?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

beeman posted:

the listening numbers actually aren't that bad:

and it is getting more popular:

but you can't help but imagine that advertisers aren't crazy about

ooof Who Charted losing listeners isn't unexpected, but dang.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

JohnnyC posted:

I had it in my brain that Yo Is This Racist? was probably an extremely popular podcast but given that I know from looking at the titles I can tell that the answer the host is going to give every time is going to be "yes" I guess I understand why i was wrong. Also am I just not seeing it or is Katie Couric's podcast not even on there

since it started after the data was "leaked" no it isn't on there

ManoliIsFat posted:

ooof Who Charted losing listeners isn't unexpected, but dang.

It's probably hard to get accurate numbers for Whoch since they went from two episodes a week to one, but I know I went from listening occasionally to never listening. Too many podcasts!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The i4H numbers make me sad but aren't unexpected. When it's on it's amazing but there's too many music guests/case closed/call ins and I just don't want to invest my time into it anymore. And it's a free show. It should be a no brainer awesome show week after week but for all the occasional brilliance I just don't want to listen and get annoyed by Besser. I just want talented improvisers doing their thing.

Sorry day drunk and ranting.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well I mean, you're right on all points. But I still love the show, as long as I can liberally use my skip 60 seconds button. But I wish some weirdo out there made cuts of just the improv in each ep for relistening purposes.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

feedmyleg posted:

Well I mean, you're right on all points. But I still love the show, as long as I can liberally use my skip 60 seconds button. But I wish some weirdo out there made cuts of just the improv in each ep for relistening purposes.

My major quarrel with the format is that when they do anecdote->improv like 90% of the time it's just a exact retelling the punchline of the story and they struggle to go elsewhere.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I really haven't experienced that, at least most of the time. Usually it's really talented improvisers who can take a premise in another direction.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Absolutely something I've noticed and agree with. So much of the time they pluck the unusual thing straight from the story and never do A to C. It happens way more on I4H than in live shows, and I think it's part of the nature of not having to heighten as much due to there not being immediate audience feedback pushing them.

e: I was relistening to some Gabrus I4H scenes the other day and I realized one reason I love him so much in improv: he is the ultimate justifier. He finds the internal logic behind everything and makes it all add up, no matter how absurd the premise. I very much appreciate that.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah, Gabrus works really hard at it and I think it shows.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Absolutely something I've noticed and agree with. So much of the time they pluck the unusual thing straight from the story and never do A to C. It happens way more on I4H than in live shows, and I think it's part of the nature of not having to heighten as much due to there not being immediate audience feedback pushing them.

e: I was relistening to some Gabrus I4H scenes the other day and I realized one reason I love him so much in improv: he is the ultimate justifier. He finds the internal logic behind everything and makes it all add up, no matter how absurd the premise. I very much appreciate that.

I find this way more on Spontaneanation. I enjoy it but if the interviewee in the beginning mentions something then that exact thing will be mentioned in the improv. If the person says "I once lost a poker bet and had to do some coke" they'll just straight up mention that. How about shifting it to "I lost a game of Uno when I was five and I had to eat some Pop Rocks and drink a Diet Coke" We'd all get the connection to the initial story and it'd be a funny way to comment on it but nope. You worked for Hulk Hogan in real life then at some point Hulk is going to be your boss in Spont. At least make it the Ultimate Warrior.That said, Spontaneanation in general is a better improv podcast than i4H. Though when i4H clicks it's the best.

I don't really know much about improv besides yes & and reading Truth in Comedy. But one thing that spoke to me was that the comedy came from the evolution of the source. Like if someone talks about war then don't talk about war. Make a scene based on relationships. If a youtube video talks about the one time they tried anal sex then make a scene based on golf or whatever. There just seems to be a lack of trust of the listener or a laziness of a lot of the performers.

/rant.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

feedmyleg posted:

It happens way more on I4H than in live shows, and I think it's part of the nature of not having to heighten as much due to there not being immediate audience feedback pushing them.

Yeah I agree with this, it's definitely more common during the studio episodes when there's no direct feedback

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I think there have been so many fantastic studio episodes that I couldn't say anything broadly disparaging of them.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yeah, Gabrus works really hard at it and I think it shows.

My favorite i4h moment is on the first 420 ep when they're doing Brooklyn voice peasants and one of them calls it out by saying like isn't it weird how we talk like this with each other and Garbus keeps it on game asap saying yeah that's what's important right now (sarcastic voice) but then as soon as the scene changes to the throne room he instantly goes into fancy voice... It's so smart...

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

UP AND ADAM posted:

I think there have been so many fantastic studio episodes that I couldn't say anything broadly disparaging of them.

Don't get me wrong, I like i4h, but everytime it happens im a little disappointed they couldn't think up anything cleverer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

There was a great one of those eps where Besser is teaching a class and they go through a monologue and he talks a lot about finding the weird or unexpected game being a much better payoff, because everyone has already thought of the most obvious funny parts of the story. That's always stuck with me and I really did start noticing the skill that it takes to get a really clever scene out of a setup.