Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Captain Postal posted:

They no-poo poo make two versions of their aircraft; One that complies with the rules and can fly outside China, and a domestic version that doesn't and can't. There's no reason this'll be any different.

I've worked for American companies that build machines in the US that create two versions, one for the USA and another for the "rest of the world" solely to meet federal emissions standards. They obviously spend great time and money to make clean burning diesels, then sell the dirty versions to China and other countries anyway cause it's cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
The first release of great wall Utes here (AUS) were a 4x4 & a normal rear drive.

The 4 wheel drive one was copied 10 year old Nissan drive train, the 2WD was an old Mitsubishi drive train of similar vintage, copied of course. Not just the drive line, engine as well.

So no parts were common or interchangeable, and not even Nissan or Mitsu parts would fit (in some places they did) and there was asbestos in all the friction materials. So no-one wanted to work on them.

Half the price of a Toyota though.

The 4WD one would instantly break if used as such. Met a beeekeeper once who got stranded miles from anywhere in one, it was the transmission, he walked back out to civilization (like 5 hours walking) and was so lovely about he left it there, called his boss and demanded his 20year old old Hilux back.

Of course they had the lowest crash safety ratings as well

wildemere fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 30, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
No but they're really good though.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

MrChips posted:

I wouldn't exactly call Continental a company on the leading edge of aviation technology...

Well, maybe not jets, but when China bought Continental, a big reason was for their diesel piston aircraft engine line.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Well, maybe not jets, but when China bought Continental, a big reason was for their diesel piston aircraft engine line.

In 2010, China had to buy its way into the diesel industry. Yeah, sounds like they're good to go on jets.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

n0tqu1tesane posted:

...which has gone basically nowhere since 2010. They've been left holding the bag for the Thielert/Austro/Centurion mess, the CD200 family hasn't made much progress into the retrofit market and the CD300 is stuck in development hell, as far as I can tell.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CommieGIR posted:

Having flashbacks to Chinese car crash tests, and cannot wait to see their home made jet engine.

Videos already exist!

https://youtu.be/InvF9e5kyjo

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

wildemere posted:

The first release of great wall Utes here (AUS) were a 4x4 & a normal rear drive.

The 4 wheel drive one was copied 10 year old Nissan drive train, the 2WD was an old Mitsubishi drive train of similar vintage, copied of course. Not just the drive line, engine as well.

So no parts were common or interchangeable, and not even Nissan or Mitsu parts would fit (in some places they did) and there was asbestos in all the friction materials. So no-one wanted to work on them.

Half the price of a Toyota though.

I live up in the north of Australia which is basically the land of 4WD's and the Great Walls all look much worse for wear than the much older Nivaras they were based off.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

tobu posted:

I live up in the north of Australia which is basically the land of 4WD's and the Great Walls all look much worse for wear than the much older Nivaras they were based off.

Yeah, you can tell the cheap arse tradies in my area who brought Great Wall utes. They disappeared very quickly off the roads.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

jamal posted:

One time when I was working at a suspension/chassis setup shop an evo came in with 2000lb/in rear springs. Really not sure what the guy who set that up was thinking.

Thinking of how he could make money selling kidneys, probably.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You Am I posted:

Yeah, you can tell the cheap arse tradies in my area who brought Great Wall utes. They disappeared very quickly off the roads.

Saw one at the 4wd wreckers a while back- side swiped a pole and took out the passenger guard and two passenger doors- No frame damage at all.

Economic write off.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
I know someone who had one of those weird golf headlighted great walls it was utterly trouble free (he had some insane repair costs to his diesel hilux just out of warranty) he got rid of it because it was literally falling apart. IIRC nothing actually broke it just sort of fell off. But then again the same thing is happening to MY GIRLFRIENDS micra which is the same age and my besties alto is also falling apart (just munched a gearbox). I tend to agree with mr interceptor in the whole pay for crap get crap because my 27 year old volvo is in better shape than any of the cheap economy cars a bunch of my mates got.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I understand economic pressures, but why buy a discount utility car built to only meet import standards and nothing else? Just buy a year or two older Honda or Ford or whoever makes even uglier Subaru BRATs

You jest, but with a few years of research, it might produce enough thrust to get its own fuel supply into the air

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I've had one of those Great Wank crew cabs on hire for a week. In comparison to a 150,000 mile '06 ford ranger (ROW not US model) I would say one was about as good as the other. The Great Wall was marginally better on the road, but lost out off road due to having an open rear diff, although I was chatting to the dealer I hired it from and apparently they would fit one for about £1500. They seemed to reckon they were based on an old Isuzu platform, but dealers typically don't know poo poo so I would take that with a grain of salt.

I wasn't a fan of the button operated transfer box, but it did hold up to being engaged at up to 80 mph multiple times. I had my phone attached to the vent by the buttons, which didn't appear to have a speed lockout so a couple if times I accidentally mashed them by mistake going for my phone. It made some nasty noises but nothing broke.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

The Door Frame posted:

I understand economic pressures, but why buy a discount utility car built to only meet import standards and nothing else? Just buy a year or two older Honda or Ford or whoever makes even uglier Subaru BRATs

Great-wall dude leased because of business reasons (runs an alloy wheel refinishing shop and needs a ute because god drat that stuff gets gross), MY GIRLFRIEND is rubbish at cars and my friend got a killer deal on the alto (his parents bought him and his sister new cars for airbag reasons) iirc it was close to 10k which in this market is like 5 year old civic. TBH the only one that makes sense is my bestie's because finding an unfucked small car is brutal and with a new car you at least know its history and I can attest to that given i worked at a ford dealership and the amount of utter shitboxes that were passed off as actually good cars was frankly astounding.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Someone's Trailblazer couldn't hack it up the mountain this morning.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
I remember reading the ANCAP safety review of the Great Wall Ute when it was first released. Some highlights:

quote:

The V240 scored 2.36 out of 16 in the offset crash test... Protection from serious head and leg injury was poor for the driver...The passenger seat belt failed during the offset crash test.

The driver airbag deployed but failed to prevent the driver's head from striking the steering wheel...The passenger's airbag deployed but, near the peak of the crash, the seat belt retractor failed allowing the seat belt webbing to reel out and the airbag could not prevent the passenger's head from striking the dash.

There was some scuttlebutt around that the first time they submitted the Ute to ANCAP, it got refused a rating because the results for the offset block test were so poor. Had something to do with the wheel completely entering cabin.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

DumbparameciuM posted:

I remember reading the ANCAP safety review of the Great Wall Ute when it was first released. Some highlights:

There was some scuttlebutt around that the first time they submitted the Ute to ANCAP, it got refused a rating because the results for the offset block test were so poor. Had something to do with the wheel completely entering cabin.

to be fair the other cheap tradie-mobile; the mitsu express; is also probably one of the worst cars to crash https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTPTTn0CJl0 my friend had a ~2003 model that had a carbie and other than doing keybangers all the time it was easily the worst driving experience of my life.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm guessing trans line rusted through and made fire with the exhaust. Those cars could be so good but are pure utter poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

To be fair, that goes for a lot of GMs.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Terrible Robot posted:

That don't call it a blazer for nothing!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

SCA Enthusiast posted:

That don't call it a blazer for nothing!

You can almost justify calling a mountain road a trail, too!

Trailblazer trail blazing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's funny to bury your foot on a climb in the Prius, not enough power to actually go fast but it'll put everything it has into trying. Then you get to the top and pull over to take in the view and the smell of hot electronics starts belching from all the vents.

Traditionally powered vehicles make odd smells after a climb too, but it's not quite as distinctive as that "oh hell I hope that doesn't mean I liquefied some solder or roasted some shielding somewhere" stink.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SouthsideSaint posted:

I'm guessing trans line rusted through and made fire with the exhaust. Those cars could be so good but are pure utter poo poo.

I don't know how, but my mom managed to get 14 mostly-trouble-free years out of hers. It went through fan clutches for a little while, and needed the one-year-only rear A/C evaporator replaced, along with various maintenance bits. Of course, three days before trading it in, the A/C compressor seized so badly that I scorched the gently caress out of the back of my finger just reaching near it, and because my mom kept driving it, I suspect it threw the accessory belt on the way to the dealership.

They still took it in trade, so "horrible mechanical success" :confuoot:

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
I work on a Alcohol funny car team and we do some match racing on the side with an altered body. We had a match race in Pittsburgh this weekend and things did not go well.

This does not look right (yes you can see light all the way thru)

Other side

This is the debris in the diaper (seems like piston and rod parts)

We haven't even opened it up yet. We have 17 days to mount a new body, put on a new supercharger and put a new block together before our next scheduled race at Zmax.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Those inspection windows should help you diagnose what went wrong.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I thought you were gonna post something more along the lines of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN-ZktmjIfE

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

At least post the failure video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FYZFAuhFV4

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Platystemon posted:

So what you’re saying is that your rig will determine you’re doing a test, then completely alter its behaviour to guarantee a pass? :v:

We're talking China here, not Volkswagen. :haw:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

In 2010, China had to buy its way into the diesel industry. Yeah, sounds like they're good to go on jets.

The first 60 seconds of this primer speaks volumes on that
http://www.topgear.com/videos/jeremy-clarkson/jeremy-and-james-china-part-12-series-18-episode-2

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I had a chance to ride in a turbo diesel Great Wall SUV type thing while in NZ. The turbo lag was comical, we'd roll into a roundabout, apply gas and by the time we were well clear the turbo would kick in. You'd have to merge the thing like a grain truck it was so gutless without the turbo. Plus it had a hilarious fault, apparently instead of using an "expensive" solenoid to automatically lock the rear gate it was instead a servo motor with a swingarm. If you were to not close the gate properly the motor would keep trying to engage the latch until it burnt out but without any warning chimes. The thing went through three in eight months.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Bought and airplane this weekend and it came with a box of random parts.

I bet this made a very loud noise and then was eerily silent.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

helno posted:

Bought and airplane this weekend and it came with a box of random parts.

I bet this made a very loud noise and then was eerily silent.

Rotax engine?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

KFM 107e.

I found the rest of it in one of the boxes.

Got to love buying very light aircraft they always come with multiple engines and a sketchy trailer

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

hot

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
At the risk of asking the obvious, did the big-end rod bearing seize onto the crank (under-oiling?) until finally something heat-treated itself to oblivion?

I wonder what the block looked like after that finally let go. Whoever was flying it had to have noticed something on the leadup to that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Two strokes are weird, there was pretty much no warning when my kart engine let go, it maybe sounded a little different but there was next to no major power loss. They seem to be able to take a lot of abuse up to a point where they let go in a very very bad way.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

What is odd to me about this failure is that the other rod looks perfectly normal with no signs of heating. I noticed that the failed journal was much hotter on one side than the other and the side that got hot is the side that the crank is pulled to by thrust loads. Perhaps it had a worn thrust bearing and that caused the hard load on the bearing.

The case and pistons look fine. Doesn't look like anything tried to exit the case under load.

After looking through all of these boxes the total number of engines this plane came with now stands at 4. One is disassembled and obviously hosed. Two more are assembled but in unknown condition and the last one is a brand new long block.

Here is the plane itself. 1987 Monnet Moni in great condition with really nice flush riveting.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

xzzy posted:

It's funny to bury your foot on a climb in the Prius, not enough power to actually go fast but it'll put everything it has into trying. Then you get to the top and pull over to take in the view and the smell of hot electronics starts belching from all the vents.

Traditionally powered vehicles make odd smells after a climb too, but it's not quite as distinctive as that "oh hell I hope that doesn't mean I liquefied some solder or roasted some shielding somewhere" stink.

Reminds me of the interesting smells our rental Nissan Sentra (with CVT) made after climbing Mt. Washington. We didn't put the bumper sticker on before returning it either.

(never buy used rental cars)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Weird. I wonder if you'll find the bearings somewhere in the pile?

helno posted:

KFM 107e.

I found the rest of it in one of the boxes.

Got to love buying very light aircraft they always come with multiple engines and a sketchy trailer

:lol:

Accurate. A good friend of mine purchased a Fisher Koala FP202 (woodframed ultralight with a teensy little single cylinder twostroke) and it only came with one engine, but the trailer was double sketchy and the plane had an ant problem to make up for it.

An ant problem.
In a wood framed aircraft.
Carpenter ants, namely.

The trailer was roughly the same, it was an enclosed plywood trailer but enclosed was really quite a generous term because the roof collapsed badly, fortunately after we got the plane out. Quarter inch plywood that hadn't seen paint in who knows how many years. The next spring we went to swamp it out only to find that it had a multitude of very angry hornet nests on the underside of the uncollapsed roof panels. As the one with the weakest sense of self preservation I was nominated to solve this problem and since we didn't really want to be breathing in nerve toxin based insecticides every time we went into the trailer, I used a can of charcoal lighter fluid. It actually works quite well, you run up within 4 or 5 feet holding the can, aim and squeeze vigorously and douse the nest and hornets or yellow jackets, then run like hell. The fluid drowns them and then evaporates leaving an undamaged unpoisoned trailer.

We did it this way because we learned the hard way that insecticide powders are bad when in enclosed spaces. The carpenter ant problem had been solved the traditional way (the ant nests were in the wings... cross your fingers the main spar's not compromised! :newlol:) and all was fine till my friend took off for his first flight in it, at which point the vibration and air currents promptly emptied all the ant poison out of the wings and blew it around the cockpit while he flew. He told me his face went numb and he started getting dizzy so he came back down and landed it as quickly as he could. Also, the vibration and air currents emptied carpenter ants, both dead and alive, into the cockpit as well, so he was pretty much flying around in a cloud of ant corpses and angry ants.

That plane got sold pretty quick for some reason...

e: Elsa just posted a pretty horrible looking spark plug in the "what'd you do to your ride" thread. Kinda want the backstory on it now.

Elsa posted:

Update on that head repair and rotating assembly refresh from a few months back

At the time, the repair budget mostly went to replacing bearings, timing chain guides, and pumps. This means a new head has to go in, but compared to the alternative of swapping a head on a 150,000 mile motor, I think it was the right choice.

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 31, 2016