Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fellblade posted:

Surely the dream is a game where you can do both?

Not really. I mean even with bottle caps there's still going to be a bit of time needed to get that ball rolling and Breeding for moves will also take time which is fine but If I'm hankering for some instant Pokémon fighting the Browser based simulator is always going to be easier and more convenient than whipping out a handheld rummaging through boxes and inventories logging into the online function then joining competitive PVP. Sims have the amazing function of letting me instantly pick random Pokemon to add to a team and pick from all of its possible moves and abilities instantly which is something completely opposite to to idea of pokemon as a Monster Raising game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
IVs are literally the single worst thing about Pokemon.

What I do is I'll catch a Pokemon legitimately, breed it with a ditto, then use a powersaves to give that level 1 baby 5/6IVs and the right ability. Then I'll level them up to 50 using Blissey secret bases. Because seriously, gently caress doing it the proper way. I am a grown rear end adult and I don't have time for this poo poo.

It's not like spending insane amounts of time breeding actually makes you better at battling, either. So it's different from having someone powerlevel your character to max level in an MMO, then not understand how to play the game.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

oddium posted:

it takes like three generations and 10 minutes to get a 5iv monster from a 6iv ditto

How hard is it to get a Six IV Ditto?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So just to be clear, the top VGC players are definitely hacking their Pokemon, right? That's what it means when one of them drops something like "you can't hack skill"?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rygar201 posted:

friend safari mons are at least 2 iv so a perfect one from that would be (1/32)^4 or about one in a million.

i don't know if ORAS made available dittos with more guaranteed perfect IVs but multiply by 32 for each guaranteed perfect IV.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Gammatron 64 posted:

IVs are literally the single worst thing about Pokemon.

What I do is I'll catch a Pokemon legitimately, breed it with a ditto, then use a powersaves to give that level 1 baby 5/6IVs and the right ability. Then I'll level them up to 50 using Blissey secret bases. Because seriously, gently caress doing it the proper way. I am a grown rear end adult and I don't have time for this poo poo.

It's not like spending insane amounts of time breeding actually makes you better at battling, either. So it's different from having someone powerlevel your character to max level in an MMO, then not understand how to play the game.

IVs would be so much more tolerable if 1) they were visible in-game and 2) were out of a specific total number of points for each pokemon instead of random totals. This way distribution would be more important than getting all the big numbers. Nobody thinks it's fun or cute that their Bulbasaur has all 0's, Gamefreak.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rygar201 posted:

i got one a while back from the trade thread here. different forums over the internet love to give them out

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Rygar201 posted:

If you knew how to RNG abuse in Gen 5, not too bad.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

It's easy because you hack it or get it from somebody who hacked it.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Not really. I mean even with bottle caps there's still going to be a bit of time needed to get that ball rolling and Breeding for moves will also take time which is fine but If I'm hankering for some instant Pokémon fighting the Browser based simulator is always going to be easier and more convenient than whipping out a handheld rummaging through boxes and inventories logging into the online function then joining competitive PVP. Sims have the amazing function of letting me instantly pick random Pokemon to add to a team and pick from all of its possible moves and abilities instantly which is something completely opposite to to idea of pokemon as a Monster Raising game.

Sounds to me like we both agree that the game doesn't do enough to minimise the barrier to entry into competitive battling.

The solution that most have chosen is to play simulators and hack Pokemon (historically because there was no practical alternative), I believe as the games make steps towards reducing that barrier to entry the community (and thus me) should attempt to embrace it in order to promote it. This is real hard to do when it's the idiots path because you can just hack everything.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If you're chaining dittos in ORAS on that mirage island and hit a max chain, how likely is it you'll get a 5 or 6 iv ditto? I know you get a guaranteed 3 IVs maxed? I've found a legit 4 IV ditto so far, and fortunately it was hp/def/sdef/spd so I can use it for attackers and sp attackers, but I was wondering if it's worth putting in the time to try and find a pair of 5 IV by chaining.

Also, do we have any idea if hyper training will be able to reduce IVs like how super training can reset EVs? Setting speed to O for trick room or setting other IVs down for hidden powers could be annoying otherwise.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Not sure if we've had this discussion already, but what are everyone's least favorite pokemon?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The ice cream pokemon are actually the best evolutionary chain, hth.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Legendaries suck.

If you count megas this changes a lot though.

you leave shaymin and darkrai out of this

it's not darkrai's fault that tpci won't ban dark void smeargle.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Phione is better and cuter than Manaphy. #FACTS
All Mega Pokemon are dumb, and bad. #FACTS
Ice cream guys are the worst. #FACTS

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fellblade posted:

The solution that most have chosen is to play simulators and hack Pokemon (historically because there was no practical alternative), I believe as the games make steps towards reducing that barrier to entry the community (and thus me) should attempt to embrace it in order to promote it. This is real hard to do when it's the idiots path because you can just hack everything.

So here's the deal, you don't owe a corporate entity anything even if you enjoy their product. This part of the post just makes you sound like a weirdo.

That being said, there's literally no way they could ever out convenience factor of simulators short of making one in game that skips all the pokemon raising, which they will never do because getting people to spend time raising monsters is literally their business, so hacking is the only real way to get anywhere near the ballpark of that level of pick up and go (and it's not even THAT close given the effort you gotta go through to inject pokemon vs typing a Name into a text box on Showdown). They're making a little more convenient with Hyper and Super training, but I there's not much more they could do in game without completely workarounding the entire point of the game.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 30, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Anaranjado posted:

Phione is better and cuter than Manaphy. #FACTS
All Mega Pokemon are dumb, and bad. #FACTS
Ice cream guys are the worst. #FACTS

Literally all of this is wrong

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

So here's the deal, you don't owe a corporate entity anything even if you enjoy their product. This part of the post just makes you sound like a weirdo.

That being said, there's literally no way they could ever out convenience factor of simulators short of making one in game that skips all the pokemon raising, which they will never do because getting people to spend time raising monsters is literally their business, so hacking is the only real way to get anywhere near the ballpark of that level of pick up and go (and it's not even THAT close given the effort you gotta go through to inject pokemon vs typing a Name into a text box on Showdown). They're making a little more convenient with Hyper and Super training, but I there's not much more they could do in game without completely workarounding the entire point of the game.

It's nothing to do with owing a corporate entity. It's about growing the community of a game I enjoy, because more people enjoying the game makes the game better for everybody as there's more content out there.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

If we didn't have Vanilluxe, then we never would have that comic of Alakazam proving the usefulness of his spoons by using them to est a Vanniluxe, eh, eh?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The thread is gonna spiral into another whatever pages of bad posts if we talk about how everything I like is good and everything you like is bad again

Hacking is cool but I don't think I would want to do it for anything competitive (but I don't play VGC - and bottle caps should fix this). Honestly the only thing that grinds my gears is people requesting comp ready hacked shinies. Like why, that totally annulls the point of it being shiny if it's hacked.

With IV manipulation it would take the lesser part of an hour to get a comp ready pokemon through breeding and battling.

Some people wanna watch the world burn I guess.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Zore posted:

Literally all of this is wrong

can't argue with the #FACTS, dingus. Nice try.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Everything I like is bad, everything you like is good.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Geostomp posted:

IVs would be so much more tolerable if 1) they were visible in-game and 2) were out of a specific total number of points for each pokemon instead of random totals. This way distribution would be more important than getting all the big numbers. Nobody thinks it's fun or cute that their Bulbasaur has all 0's, Gamefreak.

I agree with the 2nd statement. If the idea of IVs was to make each Pokemon super special and different from each other, it would have worked much better if the points were randomly distributed from a max of say 100 points, which 31 being the maximum a stat could be allocated.

The way it was implemented everyone just gets 31 on all stats, with the ocassional 0 for Trick Room/Gyro Ball/Foul Play and a random one to guarantee a specific Hidden Power type for Pokes that lack coverage, and thus, all Pokemon end up being exactly the same.

Example: last 2 years VGC

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 30, 2016

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Pretty sure they could kill the "convenience" of sims pretty quick with a cease and desist order.

I wonder why they haven't honestly, it's pretty blatant IP abuse.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Pretty sure they could kill the "convenience" of sims pretty quick with a cease and desist order.

They know I'd beat up Shigeru Miyamoto if they did.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Gardevoir is the worst Pokemon, end of discussion.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ometeotl posted:

Gardevoir is the worst Pokemon, end of discussion.

Its not really fair to blame it for what Deviantart does.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Because you can just download them and run a server on your own to do it. It's entirely pointless because at that point they'd be wasting time and money playing whack-a-mole.

ALSO because the people that care about competitive pokemon, and even more those that care enough h to use a sim, are such a small subset of people buying Pokemon games they really don't matter. Especially considering most of those people using sims probably own at least 1 current gen pokemon game, if not more.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
sims don't really keep people from buying pokemon games, probably

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zoness posted:

sims don't really keep people from buying pokemon games, probably

God knows I bought 3 Gen 6 pokemon games and still mostly play pokemon on Sims.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I wouldn't like, stop buying pokemon games out of protest if sims got shut down, but I'd definitely have gradually lost interest in the franchise and probably petered out during gen 4. I skipped gen 5 entirely at the time, and only went back to play it after a friend of mine getting into sims around that time and wanting me to play with her. It's obviously a pretty rare example but it's honestly in Nintendo's best interest to keep fan poo poo like that alive.

Granted Nintendo has been cracking down hard on fan poo poo the past year or so, so only time will tell I guess.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Gamefreak still wants IVs to be treated like this magical thing that makes all monsters unique, but at the same time offer better competitive options for pros or ADHD victims which is fine. I just like all the effort put into it, designing items, mechanisms, etc.

Unrelated I can never evolve Spheal. He's my travelling buddy

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I mean, simulators aren't asking for donations, filling their sites with ads, etc. right? I've only seen Nintendo crack down hard on stuff making or trying to make any sort of money.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

these are the worst pokemon

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
That barnacle gestalt thing is amazing. It's the greatest design because neve in a million years I'd imagined they would include a sessile crustacean form.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

how can you do that to gallade wtf

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Ka0 posted:

Gamefreak still wants IVs to be treated like this magical thing that makes all monsters unique, but at the same time offer better competitive options for pros or ADHD victims which is fine. I just like all the effort put into it, designing items, mechanisms, etc.

Unrelated I can never evolve Spheal. He's my travelling buddy

My brother hated me when I evolved my Spheal in XD.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gallade is dumb and bad. Male Krilia deserve to be fabulous by becoming Gardevoirs.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Gallade is dumb and bad. Male Krilia deserve to be fabulous by becoming Gardevoirs.

how can you tell mega gallade that he isn't fabulous to his face

you monster

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zoness posted:

how can you do that to gallade wtf

it looks really stupid

why does it have a bubble butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

GlitchThief posted:

So just to be clear, the top VGC players are definitely hacking their Pokemon, right? That's what it means when one of them drops something like "you can't hack skill"?

There was some champ a while back who got into a bit of trouble because his Aegislash was in a pokeball it couldn't legitimately be caught with