Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I don't think a trained slinger is gonna crack their skull open, but still, one of the main advantages of slings is that they're cheap as poo poo, whereas cavalry were generally a rich man's game. Why would you be sitting there on your gleaming horse with a lovely sling when you could have something cool instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Koramei posted:

I don't think a trained slinger is gonna crack their skull open, but still, one of the main advantages of slings is that they're cheap as poo poo, whereas cavalry were generally a rich man's game. Why would you be sitting there on your gleaming horse with a lovely sling when you could have something cool instead.

Well if you are on a horse you are obviously an idiot so you bring a sling because you're dumb. If you were smart you would be a smug fearless infantry coolguy.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The physical limitations of your weapon are important to consider. If a likely end-state of using a weapon in a certain way is "disaster", nobody is going to pick it up.

I have no idea why it would be worthwhile either. Slings are just "okay" and you can't really scale them up.

Slings weren't just "okay", they used to have longer ranges than bows.

Koramei posted:

I found some people saying (without sourcing anything) that Tibetans used slings on horseback, because as nomads even poorer people were mounted, and they lived in a wood-poor area.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The physical limitations of your weapon are important to consider. If a likely end-state of using a weapon in a certain way is "disaster", nobody is going to pick it up.

I have no idea why it would be worthwhile either. Slings are just "okay" and you can't really scale them up.

Koramei posted:

I guess it could be useful for harassment, but yeah it's probably not the most valuable way to use a horse. Mostly I'm just curious to see if anyone ever actually tried it back in the days before horse archers cornered the market. Mounted men with javelins was a thing for a while, but at least you can use that as a short lance if you need to. Thanks for the link Hogge Wild.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
it seems to me like the kind of person who could afford a horse would also be able to afford "real" weapons

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Hogge Wild posted:

Horses eat like horses, so keeping large cavalry formations on non-steppes is extremely expensive.

Yeah. I just mean in general there's a positive feedback loop in agriculture when it comes to draft animals.

Anything that you can't make power harvesting and whose dung you're not recycling however is pure luxury. Which is of course why rich people often are associated with cavalry.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

the horse was so good it eventually evolved into the mecha-horse; the tank.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slings are pretty boss, as mentioned until they invented better bow technology, slings were by far the more effective weapon at range. Turns out lovely wooden self bows aren't actually very good at throwing arrows very far.

Especially if you make proper lead bullets for them, slings will gently caress you up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDMCVdPwnE

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

HEY GAL posted:

hi rodrigo diaz, i am that infantryman

Very brave of you to say that when you have never done it & also quail at the thought of Dagger Critique.

Hogge Wild posted:

Horses eat like horses, so keeping large cavalry formations on non-steppes is extremely expensive.

That depends on how you define "large" and "formations". Keeping maybe 800 horsemen on pay, dispersed through a system of castles, is not expensive. Keeping 5000 horsemen in a single campaigning host, on pay? Extremely expensive, yes, but still achievable.

The use of feudal service lowers costs even more, albeit only temporarily.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You can, that's what staff slings (or, if you want to get really nit-picky, trebuchets) are.

I agree though that slings are generally a lamer alternative to bows

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Very brave of you to say that when you have never done it & also quail at the thought of Dagger Critique.
i have all the Dagger Critique you need, right here

quote:

That depends on how you define "large" and "formations". Keeping maybe 800 horsemen on pay, dispersed through a system of castles, is not expensive. Keeping 5000 horsemen in a single campaigning host, on pay? Extremely expensive, yes, but still achievable.
do the people you study, uh, actually pay the dudes? wow

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

do the people you study, uh, actually pay the dudes? wow

Most of the time, yes.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Most of the time, yes.
what a strange practice

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Hey you two, Question -

I got to handle a replica Zweihander the other day. The guy who was talking about its use said it would be used against pike formations in sweeping strikes.

However, the zweihander was a little over 5 foot long. Pikes are a lot longer... so how does that work ?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Saint Celestine posted:

Hey you two, Question -

I got to hold a replica Zweihander the other day. The guy who was talking about its use said it would be used against pike formations in sweeping strikes.

However, the zweihander was a little over 5 foot long. Pikes are a lot longer... so how does that work ?
100% pure bullshit.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Koramei posted:

Is there any truth to the notion that slings were also more of something that you could expect your average Mediterranean peasant to be relatively skilled with? The version I heard is that they were a handy thing for farmers, goat herders, etc to keep pesky wildlife at bay with and since you didn't need much to make one they were pretty ubiquitous. Something that you can make yourself in an afternoon and that bored herders can use to entertain themselves with by throwing rocks at tree stumps is going to be a more common skill than one that requires expensive equipment to master.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 30, 2016

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

what a strange practice

Do you have to pay people when they die in battle/on campaign? If not, was there ever a General who deliberately accepted a costly battle so that he wouldn't have to pay his guys as much/at all?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

Do you have to pay people when they die in battle/on campaign? If not, was there ever a General who deliberately accepted a costly battle so that he wouldn't have to pay his guys as much/at all?

Are suggesting that some of HEY GAL's might have been engaged in fraud? They'd take you to court for such an offense.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Saint Celestine posted:

Hey you two, Question -

I got to handle a replica Zweihander the other day. The guy who was talking about its use said it would be used against pike formations in sweeping strikes.

I hope you weren't looking to buy it because theres a 90% chance it was trash.

Two-handed swords were used to defend the banner, chiefly, because (according to montante treatises) they can defend against multiple weapons at once.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is there any truth to the notion that slings were also more of something that you could expect your average Mediterranean peasant to be relatively skilled with? The version I heard is that they were a handy thing for farmers, goat herders, etc to keep pesky wildlife at bay with and since you didn't need much to make one they were pretty ubiquitous. Something that you can make yourself in an afternoon and that bored headsmen can use to entertain themselves with by throwing rocks at tree stumps is going to be a more common skill than one that requires expensive equipment to master.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure diodorus mentions it. It's come up in a number of secondary sources, but I haven't looked at diodorus or ptolemy or thucydides in so long I couldn't be sure.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
No I was not buying replica weapons. But they had quite a large variety of medieval weapons, and apparently there was a reenactment group showing them off. Got to play around with a halberd, variety of maces, and some swords.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Saint Celestine posted:

No I was not buying replica weapons. But they had quite a large variety of medieval weapons, and apparently there was a reenactment group showing them off. Got to play around with a halberd, variety of maces, and some swords.

90% of stuff you will hear from a person selling any kind historical weapons is bullshit, either through ignorance, a desire to drum up a sale, or both.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

pity that you fixed that magnificient typo

i think that bored headsmen would have been more inventive than throwing rocks

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

you don't, but the most common approach of the 17th century commander is the opposite of that, the desire to preserve your army (they say "preservieren," half their lingo is English with a german ending lol) and the reluctance to engage in a pitched battle if you can at all avoid it.

remember, you're hemorrhaging dudes anyway, because attrition rates are so nuts even compared to 100 years later, and 18th century soldiers still desert a lot. a surplus of soldiers is the opposite of your problem. if you don't want to pay them, just embezzle from them and gently caress with the books.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Saint Celestine posted:

Hey you two, Question -

I believe the notion is that you spin it round like the star wars kid and the pikes just get knocked out of the way while you walk into the enemy pike formation.

I think personally you'd have more luck dazzling them with your sick sword moves and they just rout right there because they can't step to your dope rhythm.

Alterntively use the weapon skill to do the stomp them follow up with the strong attack and knock the pikeman ten feet into the air with your hyper armour during the final frames of the move.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 30, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I hope you weren't looking to buy it because theres a 90% chance it was trash.

Two-handed swords were used to defend the banner, chiefly, because (according to montante treatises) they can defend against multiple weapons at once.
and because the montante looks loving sick

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

and because the montante looks loving sick

I think I'd have to at least wait until the guy using it has finished his katas because I want to see where he's going with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYNy_drriXs

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
how many bears would it take to beat a tiger ii

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hogge Wild posted:

pity that you fixed that magnificient typo

i think that bored headsmen would have been more inventive than throwing rocks

Don't worry, Rodrigo preserved it for posterity.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Cocksmith posted:

0, the tiger will break down before it reaches the Bears

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't know about peasants vs not, but I do know some places were known for their slingers. The Balearic Islands were especially famous for them and Hannibal actually had a group of them in his army. Also iirc slings outranged bows for a very long time until archery technology advanced enough to obsolete them.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Elyv posted:

I don't know about peasants vs not, but I do know some places were known for their slingers. The Balearic Islands were especially famous for them and Hannibal actually had a group of them in his army. Also iirc slings outranged bows for a very long time until archery technology advanced enough to obsolete them.

most importantly, if you need to write a rude message on an arrow you need a little paintbrush and a lot of time, but to write a rude message on your sling bullet all you need is a pocketknife, if it's lead

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

most importantly, if you need to write a rude message on an arrow you need a little paintbrush and a lot of time, but to write a rude message on your sling bullet all you need is a pocketknife, if it's lead

"We train young men to drop Greek fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "gently caress" on their sling stones because it's obscene"

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Cocksmith posted:

one, at sufficient velocity.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

so how did one beat a tercio/pike square/wha'evz back in the day

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

V. Illych L. posted:

Guns, cavalry, a swiss pike square.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

V. Illych L. posted:

Squares are just asking for artillery to pound on them.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Sit on a fortification and yell swear words at them.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

As the other answers suggest, the is no one set "way". It's just a question of tactics. You could break into them with rodeleros or halberdiers and follow up with your own pikemen, you could hit them with well armored cavalry (or just hit them in the flanks) you could blast them apart with cannons, whittle them down with handheld ranged weapons, etc. Lots of ways.

Edit:
This is one of the more confounding things with the way people think about military history (not that you are necessarily guilty of it, it's just a general trend). Tactics are not limited to bashing guys against each other like action figures. Human ingenuity is vast and capable. Additionally, tactics always work within a strategic context. Another way to beat a pike block is to never fight it at all and just steal or burn all the food near by it, or let its paymasters go broke and watch it mutiny. War isn't a series of pitched battles on a perfectly flat plain where it's temperate and sunny all the time.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 31, 2016

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

V. Illych L. posted:

an m60

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012

I'm still 2 pages behind, but THANKS for reminding me about this righteous dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
He was crossing the Swiss Alps in risky far away campaigns before Napoleon made it cool in the modern era.