Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think it's partly 1 and 2, but mostly they don't wanna, and that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BootsRaingear
Sep 10, 2013

I can't grow a beard.
We still do the podcast primarily for our own enjoyment. It would be much less enjoyable if we were to try to run it like a business. We're gonna keep doing it this way. Please donate if you want.

Also: podcast ads are the loving worst. I can't tolerate listening to anything on the Earwolf network any more, guess I'll be missing out on their podcast about Hamilton.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

BootsRaingear posted:

We still do the podcast primarily for our own enjoyment. It would be much less enjoyable if we were to try to run it like a business. We're gonna keep doing it this way. Please donate if you want.

Also: podcast ads are the loving worst. I can't tolerate listening to anything on the Earwolf network any more, guess I'll be missing out on their podcast about Hamilton.

I agree on podcast ads being annoying as poo poo. They're fine at the very top, but when they interrupt the podcast itself they're horrible.

Bozarth
Sep 2, 2003

What fucking language are you speaking?
LHR had to do ads when we were part of a now-dead podcast network. We didn't have to pay for hosting or anything, so that was nice. The thing is, the contracts ask you to do an ad at the top and somewhere in the middle of the show, which sucks. I tried to keep them short and easy to skip. .

I don't mind a podcast ad. I HATE the "fun" podcast ad. Harder to skip through because it takes forever.

More on topic, I would love to see who the first company to reach out to Lemon et. al. about advertising. I mean, besides CyberPowerPC.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Bad Dragon.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If a podcast is going to have ads, they should at least put background music or something behind the ads so you can skip them easily.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BONOBOS!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
STAMPS DOT COM

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Andrast posted:

If a podcast is going to have ads, they should at least put background music or something behind the ads so you can skip them easily.

i kind of miss the short-lived Audible ads that were on IDEOTV (before Audible probably realized it was a terrible idea to advertise on a podcast who's message is "don't read this book") because i liked the flute beat in the background

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I mean I am not prescriptive about it and I'm old but, for me, ads in free shows sort of come with the territory and if I can watch an NFL game for which the ad content must be multiples of the live action content I can sit through a audible.com read or whatever. Obviously yeah better without and F Plus should do what they want, I do think it's still a tough nut.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Why did the question even need to be asked? Who has ever missed ads in The F Plus?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I love the f plus but I hate that they aren't trying to sell me underwear

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The only podcast ads I've ever heard that are good are Read It And Weep's, because at some point it morphed into skits about pirate lions and Bing assassins or something.

I really don't like ones that are edited to sound like they actually took a break in the conversation (looking at you, Lexicon Valley), and I especially don't like ones where it's the same two-minute folksy chat about MailChimp every episode until I memorize the host's inflections (99 Percent Invisible).

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i like the ads in the giant bomb and giant beast podcasts well enough, because it's a pair of people i like doing a bit about a product or service.

in contrast, listening to scott aukerman riffing on mattresses, by himself, for three minutes.....

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Yeah, listening to one person trying to make ads is dire. The Money Zone is the weakest part of MBMBaM, but they'll occasionally have something great like TeenGoogle.com, whereas Griffin's solo ad spots on The Adventure Zone are extremely clunky and awkward.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

MBMBAM are the only people who do actually, genuinely enjoyable ads. Only time I've been okay with a 7 minute ad was them going through a BDSM site and trying to describe the stuff in a SFW manner during their SFW christmas show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKRzq4Jmp74

sout
Apr 24, 2014

BootsRaingear posted:

I respect that, and I really appreciate you guys not doing ads just because it makes the podcast listening experience so much nicer. That's not to say I wouldn't listen if you did them, but hey.
They're usually okay if they're short and can be skipped easily with the iOS +15 second button.
Jake & Amir's podcast's ads (and the amount of time they would spend playing and talking about their theme songs) were/are unbearable.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Why did the question even need to be asked? Who has ever missed ads in The F Plus?

sorry :shrug: i was just amused at the concept of podcast sponsors listening to a particularly gross episode of the show.

e:

Seagull posted:

I love the f plus but I hate that they aren't trying to sell me underwear

you ever go back to someone's place and realise they're wearing MeUndies and sleep on a Leesa mattress and have to leave because you realise they're a massive nerd?

sout fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 30, 2016

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
every time i hear an ad for another podcast on mbmbam i want to die

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Behold, one of the best ad reads ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQgYtm2-bjA

Double funny for me since "board game on Kickstarter" is literally my job at the moment.

Anyways, the only F Plus ad I wanna see is STOG modeling MeUndies.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

pulp rag posted:

Behold, one of the best ad reads ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQgYtm2-bjA

Double funny for me since "board game on Kickstarter" is literally my job at the moment.

Anyways, the only F Plus ad I wanna see is STOG modeling MeUndies.

I know this is probably from goty but man I miss when vinny was on the bombcast

On the topic of F Plus i'm a newish listener and finally heard the sissykiss episode and really wish I hadn't

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

sout posted:

I know this is probably from goty but man I miss when vinny was on the bombcast

On the topic of F Plus i'm a newish listener and finally heard the sissykiss episode and really wish I hadn't

Sissykiss is probably the only episode to have made me feel physically ill. that last story is just so loving harrowing

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Sissy Kiss is fine. Plushie Love is the gross one. :cry:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

mMMmmMMotherrrr

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Those are both fine, it's the dick bug guys I can't sit through.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I Before E posted:

That episode is the pits and I'll probably never listen to it again, but Maggot human being as an MGS boss is one of my favorite jokes in the entire podcast.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

I Before E posted:

This guy gets it.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The feet episode uses the word "cheesy" to describe smells and textures a lot more than I'm comfortable with (ie more than zero). Don't know why I had to take a break in the middle of that one but not the bug one; maybe the bug thing was too weird/outlandish for me to really picture so I didn't think about it too much.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Best part of the feet episode was Lemon's stunned horror at the "icicles" on the moccassin. Second-best was Jimmyfranks's Thomas Kincade joke immediately after.

Edit: "The jig is up, Jimmy Cheese-Heels!"

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 31, 2016

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

The only podcast ads I enjoy are the ones where the hosts are doing their very best to burn bridges with the ad company during the ad copy. Also I guess I enjoy We Hate Movies managing to get the promo code HATE for everything. Hate shaving? enter promo code HATE on your next purchase of razors

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I hope local ska cover bands reach out to the fplus as an advertising opportunity.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

A Meat posted:

The only podcast ads I enjoy are the ones where the hosts are doing their very best to burn bridges with the ad company during the ad copy.

Paul F Tompkins getting 3 sentences from Cards Against Humanity that he has to work into his ad, and just dryly reading all three is pretty funny.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A Meat posted:

The only podcast ads I enjoy are the ones where the hosts are doing their very best to burn bridges with the ad company during the ad copy.
The Flop House did the stupidest goddamn skits as their ads for a while, and then someone must have told them to stop, because now it's just Dan mumbling like he's about to fall asleep. :(

Korean Barbecue Slut
Aug 6, 2009
Bill Burr is so terrible at reading that it's kind of funny.... He also kinda makes fun of his advertisers.

"Club W" (Said like George W Bush )

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's really too tall an order for people to make ads entertaining consistently. Agencies premeditate ads and fail on the entertainment factor 95% of the time. If there isn't a subscription then ads are generally the bad you have to take with the good you, you, you millennials.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
There's also this crazy, probably unsustainable practice called "not having ads". I can't imagine it working out for anyone, but the idea is out there.

(I seriously don't understand this conversation at all.)

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 31, 2016

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

There's also this crazy, probably unsustainable practice called "not having ads". I can't imagine it working out for anyone, but the idea is out there.

(I seriously don't understand this conversation at all.)

dude, count to ten before posting.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

There's also this crazy, probably unsustainable practice called "not having ads".

You honestly can't see why these guys might want or need to have advertisements?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

EmmyOk posted:

I hope local ska cover bands reach out to the fplus as an advertising opportunity.

This episode was brought to you by ballllllpit and Skufjan Stevens

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

RyokoTK posted:

You honestly can't see why these guys might want or need to have advertisements?
Given what they've already said about it (especially Lemon), no, I can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Given what they've already said about it (especially Lemon), no, I can't.

I was more referring to the podcasts that do have ads jfc