Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Seems like Gandhi will be a late game monster. Buff against invaders and bonuses from many religions shelters it in the early and midgame, large populations from districts/amenities opens up any victory type later on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Seems like Gandhi will be a late game monster.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

OfChristandMen posted:

So Ghandi's ability mostly affects the Civ6 equivalent of "Panetheons" and not the 2nd or 3rd belief you'd get upon following a religion? That's worse than I expected, but watching some streams of people getting multiple Workboat/Culture pantheons, I can see how it would be busted to go further than that. It's basically one of the Piety policies for free, right?

We don't know for sure yet because they haven't given any deep details about the religious system. All of the playthroughs just list out all of the belief types as choices and didn't seem to force certain ones at certain times. If it is follower beliefs, like the video says, then the Civ 5 equivalent would be the 2nd and 3rd religious choices.

Poil posted:

Hmmm, if you get the annoying war weariness crap from warring with Gandhi, it sounds like you're very incentivized to take him out early when the extermination will be much faster due to fewer cities.

That was my thought as well. I'm killing that guy immediately if he's my neighbor. He's actually a very pleasant bonus to you if he's on the other side of the world though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ab main ho gaee hoon maut, duniya ka naash.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hogama posted:

India's curious; it doesn't appear to favor a particular strategy - Religious is closest since you'll likely afford to purchase plenty more Faith units than average, but there's still nothing like Spain's instant-conversion through Conquistadors.
They do lend themselves to faster growth and spreading wide (to encourage other Civs to spread their religion to India). Looking at the Follower Belief list, only two are direct Faith enhancers - most of them boost cities in one way or another.

A bit RNG dependent if the number of religions in a game is fewer than 7, but India should always be able to lobby a strong city advantage somehow.

Given that they benefit from peace and religion I would suggest that India's thing is broadly "diplomacy"

They have generally good cities provided they have met lots of people and are at peace with them, and generally produce more faith with their unique improvement.

So buying stuff with faith and being friends, cultural victory, one would think.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Poil posted:

Hmmm, if you get the annoying war weariness crap from warring with Gandhi, it sounds like you're very incentivized to take him out early when the extermination will be much faster due to fewer cities.

You can pretty much say that about anyone though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If only we could program the ai to play like a human does

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gort posted:

No, the ones who get neat buildings or faster wonders are better to be left alive so you can steal them later.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

OfChristandMen posted:

So Ghandi's ability mostly affects the Civ6 equivalent of "Panetheons" and not the 2nd or 3rd belief you'd get upon following a religion? That's worse than I expected, but watching some streams of people getting multiple Workboat/Culture pantheons, I can see how it would be busted to go further than that. It's basically one of the Piety policies for free, right?

No?

India's Dharma ability allows them to use the follower beliefs of all religions present in a given city. That's not the pantheon belief.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Did I remember the video correct in saying that Gandhi increases war weariness against civilizations he is at war with and not specifically civs that declared war on him?

If so, he's totally getting banned in multi-player.

Gort posted:

It's more true against Gandhi because it attacks your infrastructure. If you have to fight him near the end of the game the unhappiness might take enough turns off of your plans to cost you the game without any chance to gain those turns back.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Aerdan posted:

No?

India's Dharma ability allows them to use the follower beliefs of all religions present in a given city. That's not the pantheon belief.

Oh that's crazy. Especially considering how much you can purchase with Faith from those abilities, getting more Faith from different religions, and obtaining different religions seems to be quite the trifecta.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
From what I recall, everyone gets the pantheon beliefs for every religion they have in a city, in Civ5, anyway. You just only get the follower beliefs for the dominant religion.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

From what I recall, everyone gets the pantheon beliefs for every religion they have in a city, in Civ5, anyway. You just only get the follower beliefs for the dominant religion.

Nnnnnope. There's something in the Piety tree that specifically enables you to grab the pantheon benefit from the 2nd most popular religion, but otherwise it's only the dominant pantheon.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Aerdan posted:

In fact, they've changed how pantheons work in relation with religions in Civ6. You keep your pantheon even if your cities change religions.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Gabriel Pope posted:

Nnnnnope. There's something in the Piety tree that specifically enables you to grab the pantheon benefit from the 2nd most popular religion, but otherwise it's only the dominant pantheon.

Oh, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks for the correction.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Civilization VI: I Get A Little Bit Tomyris

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Gandhi's video is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUlzrcpSPFE

Very religion-heavy. Video also shows infantry and mobilized infantry for the first time I believe.

This video finally made it click for me what's always felt a little bit 'off' about Civ 6's look. It's heavily influenced by phone/Facebook gaming. Similar hypersaturated color palette, goofy cartoonish characters, even the UI feels similar.

New Gandhi looks cool. Two months to go...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I hope the "First Look" woman is the one who does the in-game narration

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

I hope the "First Look" woman is the one who does the in-game narration

I'm pretty sure the "First Look" woman is not Sean Bean, so this will not be the case.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Brannock posted:

This video finally made it click for me what's always felt a little bit 'off' about Civ 6's look. It's heavily influenced by phone/Facebook gaming. Similar hypersaturated color palette, goofy cartoonish characters, even the UI feels similar.

It didn't too long for many people to make this criticism.

(I think it's stupid though)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm pretty sure the "First Look" woman is not Sean Bean, so this will not be the case.

He's a very versatile actor. :colbert:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Brannock posted:

New Gandhi looks cool. Two months to go...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I like it.

Definitely more than V's autumnal hues. Which are neither that pretty and poor for quick scanning. (Also, I hate the clouds).

I don't think they nailed the look of the art deco interface, either, but that might be more a matter of personal preference.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it turns out that bright colors and cartoony designs are good choices for a UI that's easy to read. It probably reminds you of mobile games just because mobile games tend to have very little real estate available for their GUIs so they have limited options for how those GUIs can be designed and laid out while retaining legibility.

Given that Civ is a game that typically gets played in marathon sessions, I'd much prefer a design that prioritizes ease of use over "realism".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I actually always appreciated Civ's slightly lighthearted tone. Gave it a bit of character and felt less tense than most self serious strategy games.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's a shame people have internalized mobile games = saturation = bad games

Because people have been making comparison since the first screenshots of civ vi and it's too bad since the art on civ vi is actually really good.

I'll agree that the leader models are weird though. Sort of hit and miss on that one.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 31, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It's a shame people have internalized mobile games = saturation = bad games

Because people have been making comparison since the first screenshots of civ vi and it's too bad since the art on civ vi is actually really good.

I'll agree that the leader models are weird though. Sort of hit and miss on that one.

When they're good they're really great. When they're bad, they're awkward.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The graphics are the dumbest thing to fixate on given the mountains of info we have to discuss instead.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Gort posted:

The graphics are the dumbest thing to fixate on given the mountains of info we have to discuss instead.

From poking around in that:

"First of all you get NO warmonger diplomatic penalty at all for making war in the Ancient Era. The penalty phases in and starts to get significant around the Renaissance, but that’s when the new Casus Belli system comes fully into play.”

A good change!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I like that great people all have unique bonuses and the great works they make are specific to them, as well. So if you make Great Writer Homer, he's going to write the Iliad.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gort posted:

I like that great people all have unique bonuses and the great works they make are specific to them, as well. So if you make Great Writer Homer, he's going to write the Iliad.

The great artists, writers and musicians matched up to their great works in Civ 5 too. I think.

But I do like that great people in Civ 6 have personalised effects and an additional personalised action when they're 'retired'. That's awesome. And the whole new system of buying them looks sweet as gently caress too. I can't wait to play around with that.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

From poking around in that:

"First of all you get NO warmonger diplomatic penalty at all for making war in the Ancient Era. The penalty phases in and starts to get significant around the Renaissance, but that’s when the new Casus Belli system comes fully into play.”

A good change!

This is really cool! Obviously mirrors the trends of human history while, on a gameplay level, enabling plenty of conquering early on but letting those who survive do things besides build up their military all the time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also allows you to have diplomacy after you've had a war.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I also like the city state bonuses. Particularly if you buddy up with La Venta, you get to build giant Olmec head improvements.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Kajeesus posted:

I also like the city state bonuses. Particularly if you buddy up with La Venta, you get to build giant Olmec head improvements.

Totally going to make a city surrounded by Olmec heads.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I'm going to keep one in a garage, in a city named Springfield.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I do really like that they've nicked the Cassus Belli system. It'll be good to see someone spy on you, get caught and think, "Ha, now I get to take Orleans from you for free, rear end in a top hat".

I know I'll certainly be more likely to declare war if I know the rest of the world won't ostracise me for it.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Gort posted:

I do really like that they've nicked the Cassus Belli system. It'll be good to see someone spy on you, get caught and think, "Ha, now I get to take Orleans from you for free, rear end in a top hat".

I know I'll certainly be more likely to declare war if I know the rest of the world won't ostracise me for it.

Same here. War diplomacy is such a pain in the rear end in Civ V, it's unbelievable.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Stabbatical posted:

Same here. War diplomacy is such a pain in the rear end in Civ V, it's unbelievable.

You actually had games where at the end everyone didn't hate you except for one person regardless of how much warring you did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

limp_cheese posted:

You actually had games where at the end everyone didn't hate you except for one person regardless of how much warring you did?

- Kratos.