Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jony neuemonic posted:

"green space" is unironically awful and a sure sign your urban design is a disaster.

this guy is cool and japanese zoning is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

agreed

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

japanese zoning is really good. i'd love to see the concept over here, but the NIMBYs and municipal government busybodies would never stand for it.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i suspect his actual economics posts are crazy, but he knows a thing or two about cities.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
it figures that the same anti-greenbelt train spergs are also in to anime zoning :rolleyes:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
who is actually pro-"green space"

is it local property owners thinkin it'll raise property values nearby?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

"i want things to be pretty as i drive by them"

accesible parkspace does have value tho, but 'green space' is code language for bigger street medians unsuitable to pretty much all uses other than looking good and being expensive

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

green space should be an easily accessible short train ride away from the city

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

or located in city parks

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

or located in city parks

I live right next to an old quarry and landfill that was turned into a gorgeous 50-acre nature park with a big hill (a Thing in Chicago) and a fishing pound

it was also designed to hold the water from a century-level flood so hopefully my house will stay dry

I'm still only a ten minute walk from the L and it's a 4 mile bike ride to work

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

minivanmegafun posted:

I live right next to an old quarry and landfill that was turned into a gorgeous 50-acre nature park with a big hill (a Thing in Chicago) and a fishing pound

it was also designed to hold the water from a century-level flood so hopefully my house will stay dry

I'm still only a ten minute walk from the L and it's a 4 mile bike ride to work

seems like a good reason to promote greenways, parks, and bike trails rather then trains and buses but what do I know

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Shaggar posted:

you people cant even get lights configured properly so i don't expect you to understand how to build anything else.

please post an example of traffic lights in maine because i dont believe u

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

mishaq posted:

green space should be an easily accessible short train ride away from the city

Bloody posted:

or located in city parks

these are all good and cool ideas, please get elected to city planning boards and decrease their retardation level

if you're in europe enter the civil service because the amerifailure of civic planning has crossed the pond and we have silly garden """city""" quarters (pseudo suburbia) now

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i live across the street from a national park

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

blugu64 posted:

seems like a good reason to promote greenways, parks, and bike trails rather then trains and buses but what do I know

not much at all about why cities need transit more than roads apparently

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

blugu64 posted:

if you tear down the freeways and install mass transit, you can have plenty of room for your parks hmm epic hmmery

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

our third lrt project appears to have secured the local funding in order to apply for the big matching federal money. it's not a super good project. however this is america, so the quality of the project is irrelevant. my guess is that the main opposition (Republican speaker of the state House) is only opposing it because he has noticed that a certain segment of his supporters get really fired up when he talks against it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
well we certainly can't have ~*those types*~ using the light rail to come into our neighborhoods and steal our televisions

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Some other factoids about it are pretty funny, too. The guy in question, Speaker of the Minnesota House Kurt Daudt, doesn't live near the proposed rail line. In fact he only barely, technically, and marginally lives in the Twin Cities metropolitan area; he lives in Isanti, a town that I don't think has any kind of public transportation services, public or private. He got into politics because he was unemployed and racking up credit card debt, i.e. he needed a job. And the job he had before being unemployed was, wait for it..... used car salesman :xd:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

minnesota can pick some real winners doncha know

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

quote:

As Gov. Jesse Ventura prepares to leave office, he ends a term that saw one of the most dramatic four-year shifts in Minnesota's financial picture. Ventura inherited a $4 billion surplus, and leaves office with the state facing a $4.5 billion deficit. Will he be remembered as the man at the helm when the state's economy took a nosedive? Or as a competent CEO who left a lasting stamp on state government?

St. Paul, Minn. — Four months after his surprise victory, Gov. Jesse Ventura delivered his first State of the State address. He told Minnesotans his term would not be business as usual.

"The legacy of this administration will be provoking people out of their apathy. It's not my job to make people feel comfortable," Ventura said.

Ventura laid out his vision for the state: the best public education system in the world, smaller state government and a simpler tax system. He also had a more specific request.

"I want to ride a train by the year 2002," Ventura said.

So how well did he do? The Hiawatha light-rail line between Minneapolis and the airport is under construction, but Ventura won't be able to ride it until 2004.

i swear i am not making this up

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
any updates on the monorail in Tennessee that was going to be built in the median of the interstate?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

our third lrt project appears to have secured the local funding in order to apply for the big matching federal money. it's not a super good project. however this is america, so the quality of the project is irrelevant. my guess is that the main opposition (Republican speaker of the state House) is only opposing it because he has noticed that a certain segment of his supporters get really fired up when he talks against it

will this one also be at grade? will it at least have synchronized lights?

i was once waiting to turn left across university and was the only car at the intersection. the light cycled for me, stopping a train

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

how many other large cities do the same thing as san diego were the trains have to blast massive horns throughout the night?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

pointsofdata posted:

how many other large cities do the same thing as san diego were the trains have to blast massive horns throughout the night?

all of them, those are FRA rules because americans are loving braindead around train crossings

they can sometimes establish a 'quiet zone' if enough people complain though

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

it's because trains are very dangerous

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

blugu64 posted:

we're not talking about europe

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

blugu64 posted:

how many Americans die in train-related accidents each year? like maybe 20?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

minivanmegafun posted:

It's a lit more than that but mostly deserved like these: https://youtu.be/1iJo9PTKi_Y

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

It's a lit more than that but mostly deserved like these: https://youtu.be/1iJo9PTKi_Y

im going to classify those as auto accidents

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cygni posted:

all of them, those are FRA rules because americans are loving braindead around train crossings

they can sometimes establish a 'quiet zone' if enough people complain though

it's mind-blowing how anyone thinks it's an acceptable situation

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

we should do this to more trains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e-jRpFik3c

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

blugu64 posted:

that's part of what makes me want to gently caress and cum in them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

minivanmegafun posted:

louisiana is absolutely full of people who love getting squished by trains

iirc it's nearly twice as many as the #2 state for train fatalities

the actual reason is b/c there are an absolutely huge number of rural rail crossings there due to the massive massive port(s) requiring lotsa freight lines and since louisiana is poor as poo poo a ton of these rural crossings are at-grade and unlit w/ safety equipment consisting solely of a single stop sign

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

minivanmegafun posted:

pointsofdata posted:

minivanmegafun posted:

a lot of these are intentional suicides

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

minivanmegafun posted:

That's probably the number of Palo alto high students alone

It got so ridiculous that they hired guards at track crossings iirc

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a lot of these are intentional suicides

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

will this one also be at grade? will it at least have synchronized lights?

i was once waiting to turn left across university and was the only car at the intersection. the light cycled for me, stopping a train

It's the Green Line extension going from Target Field out to Eden Prairie. The route is crappy but is also NIMBY'd to all hell so it might not actually have much conflict with roads. Regarding University, well, I'd be interested to see the phenomenon you are describing, as it is not something that I, a car left-turner have ever experienced on that street. Also I live within walking distance of it now so :getin: or whatever.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
paging hp hovercraft for his thoughts on https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-09-22/the-road-not-taken-what-if-infrastructure-were-actually-planned

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol i was waiting for this to show up

quote:

The ASCE has a system bias in favor of portraying the United States as having the infrastructure of a Third World nation. They lobby for the civil engineers who would be employed if we really were upgrading our infrastructure.

they're right tho we spend waaaaay too much on roads which younger engineers like me have bitched about for years and that obama finally started turning around on

far too many of these highway projects like widening don't fix anything long-term, but the people in charge of these decisions are politicians, not engineers and planners, and can't easily have their feet held to the fire on outcomes the way design standards are set up now

i'd fuckin love to see some travel performance standards that force state and local-level governments to seriously examine other travel modes and invest into them. we already sorta kinda do this at a federal level thru HOV lane subsidies that require defined travel time reductions (that are measured thru studies) - creating standards like that for any arterial roadway project would be amazing for getting these places to invest in transit

it'd also be a good way to elide the states' rights people on land use issues w/o just dropping a big federal dump on them. sure, each state can still choose to adopt their own design standards, but it's still a great idea

lol at throwing environmental review under the bus tho - the nimbys love that poo poo and scream bloody murder at master plans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

megan mcardle is loving garbage

• Locked thread