Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DC Money posted:

WOW! Thanks for that context. I remember when the accident happened that it was terribly sad, made worse by the fact that (as it was reported here, not sure if it's accurate) the kids could have easily gotten off the ship early but they were told to sit below decks and not do anything, which they did until it was too late and the ship capsized. Interesting that it's not just american conservatives who are against safety regulations, etc..

That much is accurate and it's why the captain has been the main scapegoat. But there were about a dozen failsafes that went wrong here and the captain was only one of them. He actually rescinded the below deck order later on but this was never communicated to the passengers because the rest of the crew was just as incompetent as he was.

What's really sad is that if you actually go to Gwanghwamun and talk to people there, they see foreign awareness as being a really important plank to pressuring the government on this. I don't have the heart to tell them how bad the reporting actually is out here. Their big watershed moment was the Pope Francis visit, but the little reporting on that visit which exists in the English language sphere makes no mention of the fact that he personally visited an ongoing political demonstration- they just make it sound like he was visiting the victims of tragedy because that's what the Pope does. I was completely stunned when I saw the footage of that. You can YouTube it easily enough. That's the same spot they've been ever since the demonstration started, it was just a lot more crowded than usual because of the Papal visit.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

...Emphasis on the "we". That's all work food in the last panel. They even had sushi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh, I'm trying to figure out that last panel or two and it's not coming out quite right. Who's speaking there?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Probably Dharma, complaining because he just remembered they get to order food on the company dime when they're working late. The last panel appears to be one of the work tables (same color) strewn with the kind of food typically eaten in that context.

I had to reread that one several times too. I was expecting the punchline to be about why she wasn't eating.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

Her face looks just like my face when I read this comic.

Luann

quote:

Time for a breakup

quote:

Why is it someone has a break down and the other person has to bend to their will. Talk it out Toni don’t use emotional blackmail to get your way.

quote:

Today has a really brilliant strip. In very few words and good body language a great deal of information is imparted.

quote:

Toni’s difficulty in talking it out may be because she is an introvert.

Some extroverts will do anything to get introverts to talk and then will interrupt them in mid-sentence. They might do this several times in a conversation without even realizing it. Most introverts will patiently endure these assaults to the ego, but don’t be fooled; they do notice, they do mind, and they would really appreciate it if the other person would shut up and let them get a word in edgewise.

Introverts put a lot of thought into the few words they do say so interruptions can be very frustrating. As others chatter away, introverts are desperately clinging to their last thought – and the hope that others will let them spit it out. Usually their hopes are dashed, as the discussion swiftly moves on to new topics.

Interrupt introverts enough times and they won’t even bother trying to interject. They’ll spend the rest of the conversation nodding their heads while secretly stewing over your inability to listen.

quote:

IamJayBluE said, about 24 hours ago
Actually, Toni is just trying to say: “No, Brad. Not yet. I’ll let you know when. But… don’t go too far away!”. Personally, I feel it’s all part of the natural (and beautiful) process from our Creator, of spoken…and unspoken….communication. This story is still ongoing. It is only three panels removed from Saturday. Just let the process play out. How it unfolds for them, and all the Brads and Tonis, when done right, is a wondrous thing to behold.

quote:

“Stop.”
“Think It O- O- verrrr…” (♪)
“Right Here Waiting” (♬)
“Hurry Up And Wait”
“Simply Complex”
“The Best And Worst Of Both Worlds”
“The Intersecting Of Crossroads”
“Till Red Becomes Green”
“Don’t Do Nothing, Till You Hear From Me”
“It’s All Greek…Till Your First Baklava”
“Speaking The ‘Romance Languages’ "
“Surely, You Gesture!”
“Mind Your Peace And Cues”
“Ballet For Two Hemispheres And One World”
or
“Between A Rock And A Thing… That’s Like A Rock…..But Is Not A Rock.”

quote:

Hang On, Bradley My Boy.
YOU Sir, are about to MEET Toni’s Little Used Intestinal Fortitude, HEAD ON.
“What’s THAT,” You Ask?
Well, its a Little Something She NEVER Used On Dirk, Jonah or Jonah’s Noxious Little Prodigy. You Know, the People that DESERVE It?
So get READY.
PS: Oh, and By the Way, EVERYTHING that’s Wrong in Toni’s Life? It’s YOUR Fault!!

fort knox

Flying Mccoys

Dustin

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

This lady is putting on a good showing in the Bitterness Olympics, but I think she might need to step it up a notch to beat out the Old Poor Noblewoman in Juliet Jones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quote:

Toni’s Little Used Intestinal Fortitude

Mods.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Hang On, Bradley My Boy.
YOU Sir, are about to MEET Toni’s Little Used Intestinal Fortitude, HEAD ON.
“What’s THAT,” You Ask?
Well, its a Little Something She NEVER Used On Dirk, Jonah or Jonah’s Noxious Little Prodigy. You Know, the People that DESERVE It?
So get READY.
PS: Oh, and By the Way, EVERYTHING that’s Wrong in Toni’s Life? It’s YOUR Fault!!

This guy is my absolute favorite of the insane Luann commentariat.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County Presents: "As The Twig is Bent".

Skippy (July 2, 1929)

Peanuts (September 2, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 4-5, 1929)

Thimble Theater (March 19, 1930)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Geez, Helen, you're triggering Ed on purpose now.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

A. Good job, colorist
B. I remember when this strip first ran, so if you're wondering, Foob is in 1987 right now.

EasyEW posted:

Bull Bushka? That Name Rings A Bell! AHAHAHAHAHA! Inappropriate concussion jokes!

Note CTE can only be really diagnosed postmortem, so if they have anyone giving a positive diagnosis, gently caress off

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Hoover Dam posted:

A. Good job, colorist

The colorist did just fine; she's shocked that he's wearing pants at all.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

It's amazing how quickly Ces turned this strip around. It's all cinematic and riveting now.

King Aroo (August 7, 1951)

Nancy (September 21, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (June 4, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (June 19, 1923)

Barney Google (June 20, 1922)

Alley Oop (September 19, 1933)

Lil' Abner (February 16, 1937)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Should actually be a pretty funny gag, but you had to list a specific type of medicine that people already don't trust or understand.

gently caress Off Once Again, Piraro!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

treasureplane posted:

Lil' Abner (February 16, 1937)

Oh how I wish this was the end of Lil Abner.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Hey, Brooke. You know you could try to draw some of the stuff he's looking at. Just a thought.
OK. We get it. He wrecked/blew up boats, and his boss doesn't want him to get another. Haha. Yeah that was funny the 5-6 times it was the joke last week.

F Minus

Classic.

While we're on the subject of creepy mother-son relationships, here's Mary Worth:

Is it just me or does she seem to be flirting?

While we're at it, Rex Morgan MD has some creepy senile old man-much younger woman relationship stuff:

Here we have some creepy hand grenade-tear gas relationship issues being addressed by Secret Agent X-9:

Finally, Apartment 3-G brings us an illustration of the creepy little sister-big brother relationship:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Trent posted:

Should actually be a pretty funny gag, but you had to list a specific type of medicine that people already don't trust or understand.

It's true tho.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Just don't tell anyone taking the meds that, because it could ruin the placebo effect.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

So... the author here was speculating that reliable statistical difference between placebo and control was driven by patients breaking blinds.

That's a pretty big charge

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

treasureplane posted:

It's amazing how quickly Ces turned this strip around. It's all cinematic and riveting now.

And he really seems to have communicated well with the artist so that Manley can really use his talents:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This isn't the thread for it, but that is far from conclusive.

Regardless, it's irresponsible and dangerous to contribute to the mistrust of psychological medicine for a cheap gag. Reading that comic might be the final straw that influences someone just enough to forgo treatment or fail to encourage it in someone else or whatever. It's bad.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Trent posted:

Regardless, it's irresponsible and dangerous to contribute to the mistrust of psychological medicine for a cheap gag. Reading that comic might be the final straw that influences someone just enough to forgo treatment or fail to encourage it in someone else or whatever. It's bad.

It comes down to the perennial question about whether it's ethical for a doctor to withhold information from a patient for their own good. In this particular case, public perception seems to have a big impact on effectiveness - anti-depressant placebos have become significantly stronger over time, presumably due to the public becoming more willing to believe the medicine works.

Personally I'm of the belief that any benefits of the placebo effect never outweigh a patient's right to informed consent.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Stultus Maximus posted:

And he really seems to have communicated well with the artist so that Manley can really use his talents:

Man, I did not expect such a quick shift in tone. I thought a prized horse would get foot-rot or something.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True (January, 1919)

And He Did.

Don't gently caress with that loafer.

Guess If They Are Married!

Good Time Guy (click for big) (August, 1930)

Gross Exaggerations (click for big) (July, 1930)

The Gay Thirties (December 1934)

They’ll Do It Everytime (November 1939)

Mopsy (May, 1940)

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

*sigh*

Jaf

Andy Capp (click for big) (August, 1970)

Wee Pals (click for big) (September 1970)

Mr. Tweedy

True North

Bonus old Brenda Starr

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (January, 1919)

This script could easily be updated for modern times, you know.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm curious if Manley is also excited as gently caress that he gets to draw something other than people talking.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's probably spent hours working out exactly what shape her chest is making in that position.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is oh sweet Jesus GOD NO. :gonk:

Working Daze is easy to draw.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is incompatible.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Adam Ames

Here's where it starts to get :barf:

Between Shots

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is easy to draw.

I know when my coworkers take time off they also take home their computers, chairs, desks, and walls.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Well, now I've looked at Mark Trail's V, so thanks for that, Jam.

Luann

What? A calm and rational conversation? But the Luanntators were all banking on you finally breaking up with him because you're an introvert or something!

The Amazing Spider-Man

Nice face dong, dongface.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Slammy posted:

Andy Capp (click for big) (August, 1970)

September 18, 1946 was a Wednesday. :colbert:

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

This whole sequence is so good.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

it looked like something was going to actually happen in Luann but thank goodness it was a false alarm.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

What? A calm and rational conversation? But the Luanntators were all banking on you finally breaking up with him because you're an introvert or something!

We just wanted something to happen for once. False alarm though, everything is exactly the same as always.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

just wait for the marriage to catch fire and blow up like the food truck

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Remember, for absolute nightmare fuel, use only genuine BrookeMawTM!

• Locked thread