Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loa Vecre
Jul 27, 2014

RA Rx posted:

Edit: You have to roll a magnificent +5 to get free, shouldn't be too hard unless the dice hate you as much as the Sohei.

You mean, like that 4+ shutdown roll I had to do in the third or fourth turn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

Tacops page 62 bottom right, clarifies for any who want to read. PTN might have not realized. So worth asking him about it to be certain.

I've never liked that rule.

`Mechs only bog down if they jump in, but they can just jump right back out again so it doesn't matter. Meanwhile if a tank so much as looks at a mud puddle it's probably getting immobilized.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've never liked that rule.

`Mechs only bog down if they jump in, but they can just jump right back out again so it doesn't matter. Meanwhile if a tank so much as looks at a mud puddle it's probably getting immobilized.

That is kind of dumb.

Since BattleTech is built on zany giant robot action and rolling dice for every possible thing, perhaps the solution is something like:

You can jump out, but you have to make a 4+(pilot skill)+(1 for each 1/5th structure damage, round down) roll for each leg. If you fail, you put massive force on your mech's structure in a direction it wasn't designed to withstand, ripping that leg off.

Then roll 6+(pilot skill)-(2 if you have leg jets) or the differential resistance on the legs is too much to compensate for, sending your mech into a jet assisted rear end over tea kettle fall for fall damage +10 damage on the punch table.

Failing the first two rolls automatically fails the third.

I feel like things are at their best when legs are popping off and deaths have maximum slapstick, because it sort of pushes this subversive narrative that despite tanks and infantry being terrible, giant stompy robots are still not really a good idea.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Shoeless posted:

Tacops page 62 bottom right, clarifies for any who want to read. PTN might have not realized. So worth asking him about it to be certain.
It says that Mechs that walk or run and get stuck can jump out, but doesn't say that Mechs that jump in and get bogged down can just jump out. :shrug:

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 29, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Centurium posted:

That is kind of dumb.

Since BattleTech is built on zany giant robot action and rolling dice for every possible thing, perhaps the solution is something like:

Nah, I'm still allowing players to do it. They're special.

I just force my own units to wiggle free the old fashioned way before I'll let them jump again.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
So, what now? Should the Atlas charge forth gloriously and start shooting at the Naga? Or maybe the Viper (although it looks like it's running)?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Definitely don't chase the Naga- You're about to have the last Wolf Spider up near you. Best to stick north where you can stay in range of support from the Bobcat and Awesome.

e: Also if you ask to turn off one of your heat sinks, you can stay optimal TSM range by running and firing both PPCs.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Wolf Spider is almost certainly coming for you, and King Dadlas is the beacon of Demon Hawk superiority to the Clans. Die a glorious death should not be on the table for you.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Would it be too risky to head towards the Breeze and take a few shots at it from the smoke cloud he's next to? He'll have smoke covering his back side, and the rest of the company in the north should be able to make it south in time to help when that underwater mech pops out.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

e: Also if you ask to turn off one of your heat sinks, you can stay optimal TSM range by running and firing both PPCs.

Not an option.

They can turn off half of their engine heat sinks though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
:stonk: Well that might be a tad overkill!

It's ok though, you can alternate a round of including the MPL and one without and it should work out well enough.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
The Viper is pretty clearly not running, but is going for a kill on the Phoenix Hawk. Might want to go preserve whoever's daddy's mech if you want to.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I think the Screamer is the only mech which is really in range to help the PHX now

can Noretti bail for the water?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Pattonesque posted:

I think the Screamer is the only mech which is really in range to help the PHX now

can Noretti bail for the water?
RaRx mentioned jumping to 1137, which should make Noretti untouchable.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Ardlen posted:

RaRx mentioned jumping to 1137, which should make Noretti untouchable.

At this point I'm in favor of as much triage as possible from mechs that are close to dead or have damaged cockpits

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Indeed, the Viper cannot touch this!
... but it's a 15% TH-adjusted chance of a headcap instead of ca 25% compared to landing directly behind the Naga (would be 27%, but the physical punch comes after any chance of being offed by two artillery missiles).
Anyway, hope we can avenge Melanie soon...

Screamer: Want to join up south? Lots of nice options, but 1435 offers backshots and Viper can only TAG and HLL you on 12+ with leg cover (Naga can't twist far enough), which it will go for because it's got +14 on me. Targeting Naga gets +4/+2, while Ocean Breeze gets +8/+6.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 30, 2016

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

thetruegentleman posted:

So, what now? Should the Atlas charge forth gloriously and start shooting at the Naga? Or maybe the Viper (although it looks like it's running)?
Here's a couple of options:
  • Turn around and run back north to (ideally) face off against the Wolf Spider once it resurfaces.
  • Run Southwest to 2333 and unload on the Viper on 9s or against the Naga on 6s.
In 2333, the Naga can TAG you on 12s and the Viper can TAG you on 10s. The Naga can deny you LOS, so make sure to add a contingency if you go that route.

Regardless of what you decide, you probably want to fire everything to keep TSM up.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 30, 2016

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I think he needs 7s on the Naga actually (or 8 if that's partial cover)?

If you go further than 2532 (at a walk there I think you get 11s) the Viper may try a high-risk move to cut you off.
In which case I think it's about 50/50 whether we kill them both before they take you down.

Personally, I think you're more of a fragile fire support mech now, and might benefit from dropping TSM and setting up to snipe cautiously. Your LL will go from any Arrow/HLL/kick combo, and you take 16/36 front arc hits to the CT which would die from a double arrow (8.5/36 for 23.65%, not counting the HLL).

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 9, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Orders sent, let's hope we finish the mopping up before any more downed pilots get randomly Naga'd.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Xarbala posted:

Orders sent, let's hope we finish the mopping up before any more downed pilots get randomly Naga'd.

It's out of HE at least. Unless it drops the missile right into their hex they're probably going to be fine.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Has anyone gotten more vaporized than Melanie in the thread so far? She took 25 damage directly to her 1-point body (which is generous considering it was 83% broken).

Other pilots have had buildings come down on them or their cockpits melt or explode along with their mech in general, but at least maybe some tiny piece of them got flung clear of the inferno. But this was a 2.5 hex radius area weapon.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 30, 2016

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

RA Rx posted:

I think he needs 7s on the Naga actually (or 8 if that's partial cover)?
It would be 6s (2 base + 2 run + 2 woods). If the Naga decides to have LOS go through 3 woods, then the Atlas can't shoot it at all.

quote:

If you go further than 2532 (at a walk there I think you get 11s) the Viper may try a high-risk move to cut you off.
In which case I think it's about 50/50 whether we kill them both before they take you down.
If the Viper tries to cut the Atlas off, that's all the more reason for it to have TSM and go kick its leg off.

quote:

Personally, I think you're more of a fragile fire support mech now, and might benefit from dropping TSM and setting up to snipe cautiously. Your LL will go from any Arrow/HLL/kick combo, and you take 17/36 front arc hits to the CT which would die from a double arrow (8.5/36 for 23.65%, not counting the HLL).
Even as fire support, having TSM means that the Atlas gets to be a 4/6, which is well worth it.

PTN: Should the Atlas have full structure on its CT? Or is that some sort of partial repair issue?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's out of HE at least. Unless it drops the missile right into their hex they're probably going to be fine.

Well I'm not gonna try to jinx that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Xarbala posted:

Well I'm not gonna try to jinx that.

I should elaborate: The only way it can do that with homing missiles is if someone tags an empty hex with a pilot in it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I should elaborate: The only way it can do that with homing missiles is if someone tags an empty hex with a pilot in it.

Alright guys, someone show that Viper the business before he gets any funny ideas

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Yeah, he should definitely keep TSM if he's going to keep brawling rather than snipe cautiously.

It's a coinflip whether the Atlas wins one more close up in its current state, but it's Duncan, so he might actually go for it.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, I got what you meant...
I still think we should mostly be nice to these pilots and hand them over for a trial or something, but if that happens and a cockpit pops like an egg I'd want to hand them over for MD medical experiments until they're wrecks.

Xarbala posted:

Alright guys, someone show that Viper the business before he gets any funny ideas

Naga's got those three light TAGs, but yeah, a couple of lucky LL hits would neutralize the Viper.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 30, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RA Rx posted:

Has anyone gotten more vaporized than Melanie in the thread so far? She took 25 damage directly to her 1-point body (which is generous considering it was 83% broken).

Other pilots have had buildings come down on them or their cockpits melt or explode along with their mech in general, but at least maybe some tiny piece of them got flung clear of the inferno. But this was a 2.5 hex radius area weapon.

Clanners that ended up within petting range of Good Doggies probably faired worse. And any infantry and pilots left in that airfield we raided when the return strike came back probably didn't have a real fun time.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Clanners that ended up within petting range of Good Doggies probably faired worse. And any infantry and pilots left in that airfield we raided when the return strike came back probably didn't have a real fun time.

This explains why the clans are so terribly bloodthirsty and angry this time around!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TheParadigm posted:

This explains why the clans are so terribly bloodthirsty and angry this time around!

I mean it's a fair thing to be angry at.

No one likes suicide bombers -- now imagine the enemy doesn't actually lose any people when their suicide bombs go off

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

TheParadigm posted:

No, that's normal.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

TheParadigm posted:

Clanners only have two emotional states. Unbelievably arrogant and incredibly pissed off. Not surprisingly, these two emotional states are tied to how well the Clanners are doing in battle.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

So Clanners are basically stereotypical MOBA players. Checks out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Picard Day posted:

Worse. Clanners are online shooter players.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
It's a well-known fact that the traditional beginning to a Challenge of Position is "Quit feeding you <insert ethnic slur here>"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Picard Day posted:

That's actually more true than you realize. The Warrior caste is raised in such a way that they're immersed in war, combat, and bloodshed from a very young age. Which isn't to say that they will have killed people by the time they're six, but they grow up with the expectation that killing isn't a big deal. The sibkids who eventually become Warriors both work and are worked hard but Combat is still just a very painful game.

Coupled with the fact that they all grow up knowing that A) they don't get to contribute to future generations if they gently caress up and B) they will be utterly forgotten by future generations unless they do something so amazing that they get themselves written into the Remembrance and you have a recipe for a culture that views war as nothing more than a game they have to play to make themselves look good.

Now quit feeding you Surat, and watch a real warrior get the job done!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's actually more true than you realize. The Warrior caste is raised in such a way that they're immersed in war, combat, and bloodshed from a very young age. Which isn't to say that they will have killed people by the time they're six, but they grow up with the expectation that killing isn't a big deal. The sibkids who eventually become Warriors both work and are worked hard but Combat is still just a very painful game.

Coupled with the fact that they all grow up knowing that A) they don't get to contribute to future generations if they gently caress up and B) they will be utterly forgotten by future generations unless they do something so amazing that they get themselves written into the Remembrance and you have a recipe for a culture that views war as nothing more than a game they have to play to make themselves look good.

Now quit feeding you Surat, and watch a real warrior get the job done!

How hard is it to get into the Remembrance?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Here's the tentative movement and shooting map for this turn.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 31, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

What was the name of Ghengis Khan's best friend?

Horse Jamukha

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 31, 2016

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Artificer posted:

Despite all the buildup and whatnot the clans preach about it being only the best warriors I would bet getting into the remembrance is more PR and personal politics but you have to get people to make your case for you after dying "gloriously" 99% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

What was the name of Ghengis Khan's best friend?

There was a time I would have legitimately been able to answer this.

Today is not that day. :saddowns:

• Locked thread